Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

weird that a show that turns over its entire cast and entire writing staff every decade is sometimes very good and sometimes poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

weird that a show that turns over its entire cast and entire writing staff every decade is sometimes very good and sometimes poo poo

Yeah but those fluctuations happen between episodes written produced and performed by all the same people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The Mandalorian has been a better Dr. Who series than the last 3 seasons of Dr Who

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Is it bad I noped out when The Doctor made the old British man sit on the Rosa Parks bus to preserve the timeline?

It seemed like it was a bad mistake to give her three companions. Felt they didn't think her or any of the companions to stand on their own.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Who What Now posted:

I've only seen like four Dr Who Episodes. One with David Tenant that ended up with some lady being a face cube. The one where Matt Smith first appears and hits on a little girl and eats some pudding. Then the one where he wears a fez and says bowties are cool. And then the one with the Mighty Morphing Power Daleks.

So I'm a bit of an expert on Dr. Who!

That one with the lady's face becoming a block is universally hated and is considered one of, if not the, worst episodes of the series. It really is godawful too. It's so needlessly mean spirited and just gross and poorly written.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

imagine it's the original 50s star trek, except now it's about some alien dude from a race of weird alien dudes who disguises himself as a human and travels through time solving mysteries, largely in an attempt to convince a series of teenage girls to move into his place. it's also made for public tv, so you can't do too many episodes where kirk drops a big double axe handle on a lizardman before you've blown all your budget and it also turns out 90% of all the mysteries in the universe happened in victorian england

also if star trek went on for decades with the tv execs hating it immensely but not being willing to cancel it in fear of angry sci-fi nerd letters, instead preferring to gradually reduce the budget down to the point where there start to be a lot of episodes about kirk and spock going to the hat shop and trying on hats that might look good in space. eventually, someone finally decides to kill the show for good, and all that's then left is two full decades of sci-fi nerds lamenting the loss of a cultural touchstone (as if it wasn't because it they watched it when they were ten and there were only three tv channels). twenty years later, some bbc producer who's too young and too high to realise his error mistakes this moaning as real human emotion and pitches a prime-time prestige reboot, before sitting down at a table full of writers, snorting a big rail of crushed joss whedon dvds and just going hog goddamn wild on making one of the most thematically inconsistent shows ever seen by human eyes. they'll also hire a series of shakespearean actors to live out their lifelong dream of playing jazz hands joey tribbiani if he screamed catchphrases at strangers, but also if he sometimes wept over sad violin music as he contemplated man's humanity to man.

they also commissioned a spin-off series which was supposed to be darker and more adult, but everybody was still doing jazz hands except now you're allowed to shoot people with a gun and also literally all of the characters were welsh pansexual sex perverts, which is now widely regarded as one of the worst kinds of pansexual sex pervert. even twenty years of nostalgia ain't gonna uncancel that one

A lot of that also applies to Star Trek.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

torchwood (it is an anagram)

in no way was it written just as a vehicle for the showrunner's best and most favourite original-do-not-steal recurring character: a big gay 1940s air captain, who has reached such ubiquitous and gokuesque levels of both bigness and gayness that he is now not only able to seduce both gay and straight men at will, but has also created an exciting new paradigm where he can now also have gay sex with women.

You've made Torchwood sound a lot better than it actually is.

GigaPeon posted:

Is it bad I noped out when The Doctor made the old British man sit on the Rosa Parks bus to preserve the timeline?

It seemed like it was a bad mistake to give her three companions. Felt they didn't think her or any of the companions to stand on their own.

That episode was loving terrible beyond words and is the epitome of clueless liberal bullshit. Who thought that was a good idea? Doctor Who should just be about goofy monsters and ghosts and poo poo. Placing the characters in any historical event like that one is not just incredibly clueless white people poo poo but downright disrespectful.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 14, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what? I'd gently caress John Barrowman and I have no shame in saying so.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I remember when spike from buffy was captain jacks ex boyfriend on torchwood

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 14, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I only saw the Christopher Eccleston Dr. Who series and that was all the Dr. Who I cared about. (Cause Eccleston's great).

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

raditts posted:

I gotta admit though, that was nowhere near as poo poo as the 13th doctor retcon

You can't just say that and not follow up on it.
I've been an on-and-off fan of the revival, but the new Doctor's episodes loving sucked, and I'm not about to start watching it again.
I think all 4 or 5 episodes I watched with her all had some dumbass resolutions that felt like a 5 year old came up with them. Still, I'm interested enough in what kind of poo poo they pulled later on.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GigaPeon posted:

Having made the bad decision to do a Rosa Parks episode, the writers were so terrified of actually doing anything with Rosa that instead of coming across as reverential, they make Parks look like an idiot.

She is pestered all day by these strange people who question her constantly and are definitely stalking her, and rather than react to it she continues to go about her day as if nothing has happened.

Episode highlights include: how the music swells heroically every single time Rosa is on screen

The old white British man knowing a lot about the American civil rights movement because his (now deceased) Black wife made the incredibly improbable statement to him “you’d better not be like James Blake.” On finding out he was a bus driver.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They had not been married long so she would have said this to him in the early to mid 2010s

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

after watching a show and it's spinoff for 50 years i've finally determined that it sucks. you're welcome, everyone.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
i watched the first season with the 13th doctor, but after the amazon episode i'm pretty sure i'm not watching any more.

torchwood had an episode where they fight a "cyberwoman"

it was written by chris chibnall, the current doctor who show runner.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Having made the bad decision to do a Rosa Parks episode, the writers were so terrified of actually doing anything with Rosa that instead of coming across as reverential, they make Parks look like an idiot.

She is pestered all day by these strange people who question her constantly and are definitely stalking her, and rather than react to it she continues to go about her day as if nothing has happened.

Episode highlights include: how the music swells heroically every single time Rosa is on screen

The old white British man knowing a lot about the American civil rights movement because his (now deceased) Black wife made the incredibly improbable statement to him “you’d better not be like James Blake.” On finding out he was a bus driver.

I wonder what social media would look like if ABC aired something like this in prime time. Like if they shoehorned it into law and order or something.

welcome to hell posted:

i watched the first season with the 13th doctor, but after the amazon episode i'm pretty sure i'm not watching any more.

lol Torchwood

In conclusion

Hell Yeah posted:

after watching a show and it's spinoff for 50 years i've finally determined that it sucks. you're welcome, everyone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

welcome to hell posted:

"You know who would be great to helm the first ever female incarnation of Doctor Who? The guy who wrote the sexy cyberwoman episode."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dr. Who hosed me, 13 times.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dr who went back in time and had sex with my ancestors

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Applewhite posted:

"You know who would be great to helm the first ever female incarnation of Doctor Who? The guy who wrote the sexy cyberwoman episode."

Oddly enough, it was his idea to begin with, I think he even said he told the BBC that straight up when they offered him the job.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So far the theme of the season has been "women in history."

Like, I get the impulse. What's the point of having the first woman doctor if you're not going to reference the fact she's a woman now?

The problem is, they do it like the Rosa Parks episode where the women are treated as infallible demigods with no actual character beyond the fact that they're strong women. They look stoically off toward the horizon and the music swells as they bear up and press on for what's right while the Doctor and co. sort of flail around.

I will say though "women in history" episodes are so far the best in the season because the two episodes so far where they try to just have a regular Doctor Who adventure are utterly, utterly awful.

Arachnids in London is a slightly worse version of An episode I wrote as a joke six years ago and ends with Donald Trump killing the giant spider and just getting away scott free.

And we've already discussed the failings of Kerblam! at length.

The space one where they have to fight Stitch from Lilo and Stitch is boring AND stupid.

We're in the middle of the witchsmeller episode and I'm not impressed so far.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Oddly enough, it was his idea to begin with, I think he even said he told the BBC that straight up when they offered him the job.

"His idea" in the sense that critics have been asking why The Doctor can't reincarnate as a woman since the 80s and increasingly so every incarnation since Eccleston.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also: Every. Single. Episode. in my Doctor Who thread is a better concept than the entire 13th Doctor's season so far.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

remember when his companions had a baby and it was a weird threeway polycule baby or something because the tardis hosed with its dna and put the doctors in it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

It's also the most white savior bullshit ever.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

remember when his companions had a baby and it was a weird threeway polycule baby or something because the tardis hosed with its dna and put the doctors in it

And that baby grew up to be River Song.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Dear Doctor Who show: here is a "women in history" episode 100000x better than yours. loving hire me.

Applewhite posted:

A Fistful of Daleks: The Doctor and his companion visit the old west because she wants to meet Annie Oakley. They arrive in a small frontier town, but there's trouble afoot: several of the townsfolk have been complaining of headaches and blurry vision. The Doctor and Clara arrive just as the town sawbones is about to conduct a trepanning operation to relieve the pressure on a hapless townsperson's skull. The Doctor and Clara are understandably aghast at the barbaric procedure, but are even more disturbed when something starts pushing its way out of the hole: it is a tiny Dalek about the size of a hot wheels car. It squeals "exterminate!" in a high pitched voice and fires a tiny beam at the sawbones before scurrying away out of sight. There is a panic as people begin looking under furniture and stuff, but it's ultimately Annie Oakley who offs the tiny menace with a well-placed shot from her six-gun. More mini Daleks start forcing their way out of people (who are still live while this happens) and soon our heores are faced with a swarm of them, all squealing "exterminate" in tiny voices and shooting tiny sparks of death ray at people. The death rays are obviously not fatal by themselves but enough of them can kill a person "death by a thousand cuts" style.
Anyway it turns out the tiny Daleks are coming from a crashed Dalek ship which, deprived of resources to repair its injured crew, made the most of its resources by building smaller Daleks.
The Doctor, Clara and Oakley manage to reset the computer system, but only make things worse. The computer now has even fewer resources to work with, so starts making Daleks even smaller. The world is now threatened by a plague of germ-sized killing machines!
Worse, all the Daleks are converging on the ship in response to its alarms.
At the last second, Annie Oakley makes a trick shot into the ship's "metal sensor," clogging it with lead. The computer misinterprets the readings as an abundance of metal resources and decides to start building full-sized Daleks again, even going so far as to reabsorb all the Daleks it had already built. This proves to be a fatal mistake for the computer however, which only manages to build half a full-size Dalek before running out of raw material.
With the ship's defenses neutralized, the townsfolk can safely blow it up with dynamite. The Doctor, Clara and Oakley depart on good terms.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Applewhite posted:

And that baby grew up to be River Song.

*in an extremely River song voice* “spoilers!”

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Applewhite posted:

It’s because he did Broadchurch, which looks like prestige TV but is actually pretty bad.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's too on the nose not to be a parody, that scantily clad robot lady.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's too on the nose not to be a parody, that scantily clad robot lady.

When you think about it it's actually a brilliant subversive feminist statement and furthermore...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

LabyaMynora posted:

It’s because he did Broadchurch, which looks like prestige TV but is actually pretty bad.

Agreed. Broadchurch got so much talk in the press and such gushing reviews, but was like an n-th generation photocopy of a better show. It lurched from suspect to suspect (the town seemed to be 50% secret pedophiles), injected random drama that added up to nothing (the heroes illness, fear of water, traffic backstory, while the heroine flails around pointlessly) until pulling a solution out of the air. It's like someone saw The Killing and decided to copy it.

My favourite random detail was how the Scottish lead detective has a Scottish doctor. Despite the fact that the show is not set in Scotland.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i had completely forgotten that i'd seen the first season of broadchurch

how hosed up do you have to be to be an old pedophile that just hugs people

like, you're married, loving hug your wife ffs

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Applewhite posted:

"His idea" in the sense that critics have been asking why The Doctor can't reincarnate as a woman since the 80s and increasingly so every incarnation since Eccleston.

Well, I didn't mean it in the sense that it was his original concept do not steal, but rather that he told the Beeb that he was going to have a woman playing the role if he took the job. Which is a noble idea, and Jodie is a good choice for the role, it's just unfortunate that she's had such crap writing to work with.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finished the witchsmeller episode. It was a middle to low tier Doctor Who ep that actually managed to balance “women in history” with a generic monster. 3/5 stars.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I member watching an episode about van gogh fighting an invisible alien, that sure was something :rolleyes:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i remember a kind of freaky episode with some creepy semi sentient slave aliens or something that held artificial hearts in their hands working on a space station (?) orbiting a black hole (?)

and it turned out it was a two part episode but for like a few weeks the second episode wouldn’t load right on Netflix and I never saw it until like years later and i don’t really remember but I think it ended with the doctor yelling at the black hole which may or may not have been satan or something

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The torchwood (?) Space whale epsiode was kinda depressing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

I member watching an episode about van gogh fighting an invisible alien, that sure was something :rolleyes:

I was very briefly in a Doctor Who Facebook group but then someone said it would be cool to see an episode where the Doctor meets Anne Frank with complete sincerity followed by not a single person saying that was a terrible idea or "What the gently caress is wrong with you?". I took it upon myself to say "That's a terrible loving idea." and then I got a DM from a mod scolding me for saying "loving".

food court bailiff posted:

i remember a kind of freaky episode with some creepy semi sentient slave aliens or something that held artificial hearts in their hands working on a space station (?) orbiting a black hole (?)

and it turned out it was a two part episode but for like a few weeks the second episode wouldn’t load right on Netflix and I never saw it until like years later and i don’t really remember but I think it ended with the doctor yelling at the black hole which may or may not have been satan or something

These guys?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Re:TARDIS woulda been a way better thread title

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really give a gently caress about doctor who but was there actually an amazon propaganda episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the 4th doctor episodes when douglas adams was script editor whipped rear end.
unrelated: one time I brushed up against a boob on the subway and it was very cool