Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I saw and liked it and i read the thread and found out I don’t like the idiot op

Also the thing is my favorite movie so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Ibexaz posted:

It was 2pac and James Brown

Yeah, it owned

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have not seen the Hateful 8 but I have been to a 7/11

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Rick Ross song in django was good. Movie had good music in general.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

BasicLich posted:

I dunno how I feel about his "relitigating history" films like Inglorious Basterds and the aforementioned "once upon a time..."

Sure it was fun to watch the Bear Jew completely perforate Hitler or that cowboy actor flamethrower Squeeky Fromme but I'm not entirely sure that this indulgent rewriting of actual history is especially helpful in the long run

While catharsis is obviously a big and shameless part of the appeal they do make more of a statement than people give them credit for, with each of the three exploring different things. For example, Inglourious Basterds: is a statement on the depiction of Nazis in cinema being the means through which vengeance is exacted upon them (more specifically the means through which Jews exact their vengeance or achieve victory over them).

This is best illustrated in the scene where the German propaganda film is replaced with "the face of Jewish vengeance" incinerating a theatre full of Nazis. Getting to that incineration scene involved a Jewish girl fleeing persecution being offered refuge in a cinema in exchange for working in it, taking control of it, and finally using it as the means of her vengeance. Earlier it was specifically stated that Goebbels intends his films to be "an alternative to Jewish German intellectual cinema....and the Jewish controlled dogma of Hollywood". So rather than the movie being just revisionist history it is a metaphor and victory lap for something real: Hollywood movies beating nazi movies and being an avenue through which Jewish film-makers and producers have the opportunity to thoroughly and endlessly defeat the Nazis.

Note that Shosanna didn't just kill the Nazis: she is depicted as taking a considerable risk in order to film and produce her own message to splice into the German propaganda and the movie presents her final struggle to switch the reels and show her message as if failing to means her plans are thwarted (even though the fire will happen even without the reel switch). Earlier scenes have her mention that her theatre only plays German classics and has none of the modern propaganda. The modern Goebbels produced propaganda being forced into her theatre is what sparks her revenge plot, and the resulting nazi bbq is achieved at the expense of burning all the pre-Nazi German classics.

The movie also ends with the swastika forehead carving and the very last line being "I think this just might be my masterpiece": linking the carving to the act of making the movie, suggesting that film depictions of Nazi crimes is what actually achieves the unremovable branding. To beat you over the head with the 'this is about movies' thing each act is given a movie inspired title with the exception of 'Operation Kino' just being 'Operation Movie Theatre'.

Then there is Tarantino's meta-commentary or movie opinions, with most of it being like a preview of what he would go in on in much greater depth in OUATIH–that movies and reality are confused and people often give greater weight to the movie than reality. The most superficial example being the discussion about John Wayne being a pampered actor rather than someone whose stoic masculinity/bravery they should be expected to mimic in real life. More significantly: film critic turned soldier/spy Hicox is very confident of his German, but is immediately found to have a distinct and rare accent cribbed from a Riefenstahl film, which he then also uses to provide his cover story before ultimately having his cover blown by a detail he couldn't learn from watching movies.

On the very Tarantino related subject of violence in movies: Zoller is proud of his actual act of mass violence but is uncomfortable watching a fictional depiction of it on screen, so he stops watching in favour of going behind the screen and comfortably committing actual violence on a woman (becoming aggressive in response to her refusing his advances). Tarantino depicting something like that might have gained some more relevance in the years since the movie came out.

Then the Nazi's 'Who am I?' game has what is most likely a bunch of convoluted meta-references and jokes in terms of the characters chosen. Apart from mostly being actors, directors and screen writers one of them is a "fake" Apache (like Pitt's character) and one is an entertainer who was eventually executed for spying/treason (like Hammersmark, who ironically has the only war-like character in a room full of soldiers, several of whom are assigned German actresses she could be considered a fictional version of). The guy who gets Marco Polo has a 'spaghetti western' style fantasy etc. One of the games involves a discussion about whether a fictional character should be defined by their depicted nationality/ethnicity or their creator's (kind of relevant to some of the discussions about Tarantino and race).

The second game features the player remarking that it is too easy to ask whether his character is real or fictional, instead following a line of questioning that ultimately ends with the last two questions being "Am I the story of the negro in America?" and "Am I King Kong?" (pretty much just reinforcing that the meaning of a movie isn't necessarily what it portrays in literal terms or even what it was intended to convey). Also whatever is intended in terms of acting vs reality confusion by the actual Nazi soldiers seeing real double-takes and spit-takes by people acting as Nazi soldiers to trick them, commenting on their being acting techniques, and happily imitating and play-acting them amongst themselves rather than being suspicious.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Applewhite posted:

It’s been two pages and nobody’s pointed out that the whole movie is just basically John Carpenter’s The Thing but with cowboys.

Yep. Even has Kurt Russell.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Never saw it, OP.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Duke Pukem posted:

Yeah, it owned

I'm extremely disappointed about this post and it's wrong-ness.
I respect your right to have a different opinion than me and thank you for it.

But not this one. You're a dumb moron poop burgler that no one likes.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Moon Atari posted:

While catharsis is obviously a big and shameless part of the appeal they do make more of a statement than people give them credit for, with each of the three exploring different things. For example, Inglourious Basterds: is a statement on the depiction of Nazis in cinema being the means through which vengeance is exacted upon them (more specifically the means through which Jews exact their vengeance or achieve victory over them).

This is best illustrated in the scene where the German propaganda film is replaced with "the face of Jewish vengeance" incinerating a theatre full of Nazis. Getting to that incineration scene involved a Jewish girl fleeing persecution being offered refuge in a cinema in exchange for working in it, taking control of it, and finally using it as the means of her vengeance. Earlier it was specifically stated that Goebbels intends his films to be "an alternative to Jewish German intellectual cinema....and the Jewish controlled dogma of Hollywood". So rather than the movie being just revisionist history it is a metaphor and victory lap for something real: Hollywood movies beating nazi movies and being an avenue through which Jewish film-makers and producers have the opportunity to thoroughly and endlessly defeat the Nazis.

Note that Shosanna didn't just kill the Nazis: she is depicted as taking a considerable risk in order to film and produce her own message to splice into the German propaganda and the movie presents her final struggle to switch the reels and show her message as if failing to means her plans are thwarted (even though the fire will happen even without the reel switch). Earlier scenes have her mention that her theatre only plays German classics and has none of the modern propaganda. The modern Goebbels produced propaganda being forced into her theatre is what sparks her revenge plot, and the resulting nazi bbq is achieved at the expense of burning all the pre-Nazi German classics.

The movie also ends with the swastika forehead carving and the very last line being "I think this just might be my masterpiece": linking the carving to the act of making the movie, suggesting that film depictions of Nazi crimes is what actually achieves the unremovable branding. To beat you over the head with the 'this is about movies' thing each act is given a movie inspired title with the exception of 'Operation Kino' just being 'Operation Movie Theatre'.

Then there is Tarantino's meta-commentary or movie opinions, with most of it being like a preview of what he would go in on in much greater depth in OUATIH–that movies and reality are confused and people often give greater weight to the movie than reality. The most superficial example being the discussion about John Wayne being a pampered actor rather than someone whose stoic masculinity/bravery they should be expected to mimic in real life. More significantly: film critic turned soldier/spy Hicox is very confident of his German, but is immediately found to have a distinct and rare accent cribbed from a Riefenstahl film, which he then also uses to provide his cover story before ultimately having his cover blown by a detail he couldn't learn from watching movies.

On the very Tarantino related subject of violence in movies: Zoller is proud of his actual act of mass violence but is uncomfortable watching a fictional depiction of it on screen, so he stops watching in favour of going behind the screen and comfortably committing actual violence on a woman (becoming aggressive in response to her refusing his advances). Tarantino depicting something like that might have gained some more relevance in the years since the movie came out.

Then the Nazi's 'Who am I?' game has what is most likely a bunch of convoluted meta-references and jokes in terms of the characters chosen. Apart from mostly being actors, directors and screen writers one of them is a "fake" Apache (like Pitt's character) and one is an entertainer who was eventually executed for spying/treason (like Hammersmark, who ironically has the only war-like character in a room full of soldiers, several of whom are assigned German actresses she could be considered a fictional version of). The guy who gets Marco Polo has a 'spaghetti western' style fantasy etc. One of the games involves a discussion about whether a fictional character should be defined by their depicted nationality/ethnicity or their creator's (kind of relevant to some of the discussions about Tarantino and race).

The second game features the player remarking that it is too easy to ask whether his character is real or fictional, instead following a line of questioning that ultimately ends with the last two questions being "Am I the story of the negro in America?" and "Am I King Kong?" (pretty much just reinforcing that the meaning of a movie isn't necessarily what it portrays in literal terms or even what it was intended to convey). Also whatever is intended in terms of acting vs reality confusion by the actual Nazi soldiers seeing real double-takes and spit-takes by people acting as Nazi soldiers to trick them, commenting on their being acting techniques, and happily imitating and play-acting them amongst themselves rather than being suspicious.

That's a lot of words to say "Ham-fisted"

e: this will get defended by "Of course it's ham fisted it's tarentino that's the beauty of it" which is why it requires a multi-paragraph send-up like this to explain it to teenage nerds in the first place.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It was okay. Great to hear Ennio Morricone again, though, and better by miles than Django or Once Upon a Time.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I won't defend it with "of course its ham-fisted". I'll defend it with "its not remotely ham-fisted", with a further addition that even if they aren't to your taste none of Tarantino's films can be considered ham-fisted (except maybe Death Proof and I don't know about Hateful 8, since in answer to the OP I haven't seen it). I don't even consider myself a huge fan with any particular motivation to defend it or Tarantino in general, but I would at least need some sort of comparison to something that has similar thematic ambitions that you don't consider ham-fisted before I will pay any respect to the idea that this very well-regarded screenplay (the precursor to Django's even better received and rewarded screenplay) is clumsily executed.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Big Beef City posted:

That's a lot of words to say "Ham-fisted"

e: this will get defended by "Of course it's ham fisted it's tarentino that's the beauty of it" which is why it requires a multi-paragraph send-up like this to explain it to teenage nerds in the first place.

Subtlety is overrated.

Just like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The movie theater I worked at ran the 70mm roadshow version of Hateful 8 and we knew it was time for intermission when everybody in the lobby could hear the talk about the big black dingus. Intermission for any show became known as Dingus Time for a while after that.

The only time the men's room had a line was when a Tarantino film was playing. We'd also go through more Mountain Dew than usual.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the 70mm showing was the sweatest hottest smelliest gooniest showing of a movie I've ever seen an it owned.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

was aight

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
for a 9 hour flick it's pretty good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This "Hateful" franchise needs to stop. The last good one was Hateful Three, everything since has been shlock.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Why couldn't he have made The Grateful 8?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

fishing with the fam posted:

Subtlety is overrated.

Just like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I wanted to like the movie but it was so slow and boring.

I guess now theres a 4 hour extended cut of the hateful 8?? Its like tarantino is writing some coffee house analysis of analysis of crappy poetry slam material from the night before because he didnt want to leave the smell of bohemian farts on the stage uncommented on. See, im artistic guys im talking about art!

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The Walrus posted:

the 70mm showing was the sweatest hottest smelliest gooniest showing of a movie I've ever seen an it owned.

That was Deadpool 2 for me it smelled so bad I felt like walking out. On top of that there was also some fat guy scream laughing at the top of his lungs at every little thing. It was like that bit in Cape Fear.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Tarantino is one of those directors where his films have been poo poo for years but they all make a billion dollars anyway and the general public all decide that their films are 10/10s before they've even come out so theres no incentive to improve. See also, Christopher Nolan.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
hateful pl8

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Got in some hot water for a 6 hour long hateful d8

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chrs posted:

Tarantino is one of those directors where his films have been poo poo for years but they all make a billion dollars anyway and the general public all decide that their films are 10/10s before they've even come out so theres no incentive to improve. See also, Christopher Nolan.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

and seriously once upon a time was so bad my wife and I walked out of the theatre

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Tarantino hasn't been the same since he lost his foot muse, Uma Thurman.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Once Upon A Time was good actually, some of the best scenes of folks just driving to the radio that I've seen in a movie, probably Tarantinos best looking film.

It's not my favorite Tarantino flick and I understand some of the criticisms for it, but it presents such a fantastic sense of place and time that it was easy for me to sit back and soak it in for the runtime. Something I couldn't really do with Hateful Eight, which I don't think I've rewatched since the roadshow.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
No, OP, I haven't seen it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chrs posted:

What do you consider good movies. Examples, please.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

No, see that's not how it works.

They can think the movie sucks and not have to prove to you by whatever arbitrary bar you have that 'actually they do meet your standards'.

The movie just sucks in their opinion and you don't get to be validated that way.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
people like to remark on QT’s foot fetish because he has no shame and it’s goofy, but more concerning I think is when he tried to kill Uma Thurman with a car in KB2 because he also has a “killing women with cars” fetish (see: Death Proof)

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It was like a 3 hour episode of "Bonanza", but I think that's exactly what he was going for.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Lol don’t get mad just because I’m the telling facts

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

They can think the movie sucks and not have to prove to you by whatever arbitrary bar you have that 'actually they do meet your standards'.

The movie just sucks in their opinion and you don't get to be validated that way.

I'd just want to understand the state of mind of someone who thinks they all suck

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

I guess now theres a 4 hour extended cut of the hateful 8??

There isn't. Netflix broke each section of the movie into their own separate entries, each with their own intro and ending credit sequences which extends to the total runtime to around four hours. The only entry worth watching was the one with the single take of Jennifer Jason Leigh singing that was used in the Roadshow version, and you can stop watching after that part.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

Chrs posted:

Lol don’t get mad just because I’m the telling facts

If you don't want to discuss movies in a thread for discussing movies you could save us all a lot of time and just not post.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd just want to understand the state of mind of someone who thinks they all suck

Look, admitting your subjective judgments and tastes outside of the blandest dismissals of a thing being overrated or underrated is dangerously close to introspection and for a certain type of person that's a fate worse than death.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 15, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nice meltdown

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Some Tarantino movies are good and some are dogshit. I haven’t seen them all.

Good: Pulp Fiction, Django, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Middling: Inglorious Basterds, Reservoir Dogs
Dogshit: Kill Bill, Death Proof, Hateful Eight

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Cheer up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
my opinions about tarantino movies are the only correct ones