Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I am steadfast in my refusal to spend money on wishes other than welkin blessing (which has been mostly free from google play point coupons and survey money).

Costumes will absolutely break me. If Jean's beach outfit wasn't so meh I'd be doomed already but it's only a matter of time before they get me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're constantly buying welkins, you should have more than enough to buy a costume when something catches your eye, unless you've been emptying those genesis crystals too.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tae posted:

If you're constantly buying welkins, you should have more than enough to buy a costume when something catches your eye, unless you've been emptying those genesis crystals too.

There was no reason to hold to hold until they announced the costumes so yeah I burned them up until that point, as I assume most people did.

Kale
May 14, 2010

It doesn't really help though when you need to have the character and the costume and there's only 2 in the entire game so far. I'm wondering if it ends up one of those kind of underutilized things like hangouts or it only comes around a couple times a year like at summer when they can stick one or two of the waifus in swimsuits.

Then again they're maybe just prioritizing fleshing out the new region, hard to say just yet, but the whole having to have both the character and the costume again makes it tough. I had gems lying around from the Welkins Blessing accidental purchase I made a few months back (long story) and was like one purchase away from having enough to buy that costume so if I actually had Jean who knows if I would have just got one more blessing during the summer event for like 5 bucks and picked up that outfit or not. :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The game is also less than a year old so it's kind of difficult to say what direction they will be pushing this stuff since there is very little precedent

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm finally at the obligatory tournament arc btw but it's more of a joke tournament it turns out. I think I'm able to do the event to get Beidou after this which admittedly even though this is the first time seeing her in game for me literally last night I already find her amusing with the whole hot blooded loud and shouting personality. I'm just going to assume she's always drunk or something.

This is also like the 4th time I've had the opportunity to get character through an event (I've gotten Xiangling, Diona and Barbara this way) somehow relating to them in terms of story and the events content itself, which is kind of mind blowing that that's even a thing in a gacha game to me. Like aren't you supposed to hold every character permanently hostage in a zero sum sort of approach to monetization unless they're so woefully outdated somehow mechanically that they'll never be featured in a banner again and they go up in some in store farmable currency exchange way to purchase? It just strikes me as.....too close to how an actual game would do it, like I meet the character in a quest and then I do further quests to win over their support and then they join my party. In an RPG with gacha mechanics? In 2021? What a loving concept!

Anyway if this goes as planned then I'll have every 4 star character besides Xingqiu, Chongyun and Xinyan. 2 months ago I had like 8 characters and for the first couple months I was playing the game before that I had like 6.

e: It just seems like legit this is the only game with gacha mechanics I've ever tried besides maybe Final Fantasy Record Keeper where they seem to sacrifice pure monetization at limited times for fun/immersion reasons and not strictly the other way around. I almost feel like I have to be missing something here. Like is the event to get Beidou that supposedly unlocks after the Inazuma Prologue I'm on just super grindy and time consuming and they're hoping to parlay that into some form of spending on the players part or something kind of like how the Premium Gnostic Hymn thing is there if you want to just skip 10 BP levels?

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 28, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Kale posted:

Like aren't you supposed to hold every character permanently hostage in a zero sum sort of approach to monetization unless they're so woefully outdated somehow mechanically that they'll never be featured in a banner again and they go up in some in store farmable currency exchange way to purchase?

You'll see abyss eventually, where if you just spent more money you can win! The next one is a good time to start too, where they make their first attempts at directly loving two previous must-pull characters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something that makes this a lot more fun than most other gacha games for me is the fact that, because it's a big 3D action game as well as a gacha, there's a relatively limited number of characters and they're all unique and feel good to play in their own way (except for a couple, sorry Amber). When I look at other gachas, even ones that I'm interested in, there are often so many characters, and so many of them are just fodder, that I can't really wrap my head around it or find things to be excited about. In Genshin Impact, I definitely can.

The relative uniqueness of each character also means that there are 4*s who are just as valuable as 5*s, not through raw power but just through filling a role nobody else can really fill (like Xingqiu, Xiangling, and Fischl), by having totally unique mechanics (Beidou, the only character to date with a parry), or even by being just as good at a very useful role as a 5* (Sucrose). Every new character I get is exciting regardless of rarity and that's cool.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I like that the player housing is both long-term rewarding outside of housing (what with having the big xp purchases locked behind trust 8), and they just...didn't F2P it fully. You can spend an item to rush construction of furnishings but you can't buy those with real money (which would be a prime F2P cash-sink), just with the currency that you use to unlock other furnishings. It's nice!

Also I have a giant mansion full of cats and a beach owned by a dog pack. Good game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah the thing to remember is genshin is a quest driven open world action rpg with a mobile gacha game strategically grafted onto it. If you have a perfect brain you can enjoy the real game without ever succumbing to the FOMO and daily conditioning that the gacha imposes.

But we are all chumps who have to pull that lever so we run the maze every day. I only missed commissions once since launch because I was too sick to play. I even did my wife's commissions for her when she was on a trip and couldn't get decent wifi. There are no shackles here but those we have created in our minds.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

Something that makes this a lot more fun than most other gacha games for me is the fact that, because it's a big 3D action game as well as a gacha, there's a relatively limited number of characters and they're all unique and feel good to play in their own way (except for a couple, sorry Amber). When I look at other gachas, even ones that I'm interested in, there are often so many characters, and so many of them are just fodder, that I can't really wrap my head around it or find things to be excited about. In Genshin Impact, I definitely can.

The relative uniqueness of each character also means that there are 4*s who are just as valuable as 5*s, not through raw power but just through filling a role nobody else can really fill (like Xingqiu, Xiangling, and Fischl), by having totally unique mechanics (Beidou, the only character to date with a parry), or even by being just as good at a very useful role as a 5* (Sucrose). Every new character I get is exciting regardless of rarity and that's cool.

Well one of the key things that turned me off Fire Emblem Heroes after only 16 months or so that I'd been playing off and on is when I just couldn't help but notice that they cared SO much more about shuffling in new banners every week or so versus adding actual meaningful story and gameplay content to the game so I just never had anything to really loving do in that game and it became a matter of what's really the point. Like WAY too many different versions of characters just getting introduced at a never ending pace that you'd have to draw multiple versions of to level past the cap and have a prayer at the lunatic versions of story content. They'd get introduced at a 3:1 ratio or so for Banner:Story event. Like 10-15 minutes of new story/map content that was phoned in as gently caress a month compared to what I'm used to from Fire Emblem games versus some new character banner every week or so. About the only thing I found fun in the long run were those puzzle missions I actually had to think about.

They basically killed that game for me through it just being so brutally limited in the actual game design side of things. It was bad enough it was already super limited as a Fire Emblem game where stats like Defense, Resist, Speed, Hit/Avoid (!!!!) Move and deploy more than 4 units at a time didn't even really factor in at all.

Anyway I don't see that happening here with this one since the underlying game/content design principle actually continues to have attention paid to it by the people running it. They got the ratio right, it's a new character banner every 3 weeks or so versus meaningful new story/gameplay content every week or so since I've started playing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kale posted:

Well one of the key things that turned me off Fire Emblem Heroes after only 16 months or so that I'd been playing off and on is when I just couldn't help but notice that they cared SO much more about shuffling in new banners every week or so versus adding actual meaningful story and gameplay content to the game so I just never had anything to really loving do in that game and it became a matter of what's really the point. Like WAY too many different versions of characters just getting introduced at a never ending pace that you'd have to draw multiple versions of to level past the cap and have a prayer at the lunatic versions of story content. They'd get introduced at a 3:1 ratio or so for Banner:Story event. Like 10-15 minutes of new story/map content that was phoned in as gently caress a month compared to what I'm used to from Fire Emblem games versus some new character banner every week or so. About the only thing I found fun in the long run were those puzzle missions I actually had to think about.

They basically killed that game for me through it just being so brutally limited in the actual game design side of things. It was bad enough it was already super limited as a Fire Emblem game where stats like Defense, Resist, Speed, Hit/Avoid (!!!!) Move and deploy more than 4 units at a time didn't even really factor in at all.

Anyway I don't see that happening here with this one since the underlying game/content design principle actually continues to have attention paid to it by the people running it. They got the ratio right, it's a new character banner every 3 weeks or so versus meaningful new story/gameplay content every week or so since I've started playing.

One thing with Fire Emblem Heroes is that it's also a PvP game, as a lot of gachas are. In fact I imagine for people who spend a lot on it, the PvP is ultimately the big draw. The relative lack of new story isn't a huge deal because new characters are the new content.

But yeah, I bounced off FEH for much the same reason. I'm not ever going to be into gacha PvP because I'm not interested in feeling like I need to spend money to keep up with other players. I'm already susceptible enough to FOMO, I don't need competition piled on top of it. It's also hard to get excited about new characters when it's just the fifth version of a character you already have other versions of. Plus, the power creep is pretty insane--if you're not keeping up with new characters, you're getting left behind pretty severely. At least in the Romancing SaGa gacha game, different versions of characters are "styles" and ultimately count as the same character, can inherit skills from one another, and that sort of thing, so it's at least a little bit more interesting to see like the fifth version of Blue and Rouge get added.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Captain France posted:

The Traveler did so many illegal things this arc, you'd think they'd have at least worn the mask.

Not sure how much it would have helped, since they look pretty distinct, but still.

You'd also think they'd have a fake vision like Venti, maybe not in Inazuma but it'd cut down on some explanations.

Ventis fake vision made me do a :thunk: when something locked abilities.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It was kinda funny that worked on Venti & Zhongli but I'm guessing they didn't want to inadvertently make something "Pay to Win", even if it's just a one off story fight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kale posted:

e: It just seems like legit this is the only game with gacha mechanics I've ever tried besides maybe Final Fantasy Record Keeper where they seem to sacrifice pure monetization at limited times for fun/immersion reasons and not strictly the other way around. I almost feel like I have to be missing something here. Like is the event to get Beidou that supposedly unlocks after the Inazuma Prologue I'm on just super grindy and time consuming and they're hoping to parlay that into some form of spending on the players part or something kind of like how the Premium Gnostic Hymn thing is there if you want to just skip 10 BP levels?

You can't pay to skip to Beidou (I mean, aside from getting glitter and buying her in the glitter shop when she rotates in) but you might wish you could, because that event sends you all up and down the map to do the things at the places. You'll have the time, probably, but as soon as you can talk your way out of Ritou I recommend you book it right the hell south to get yourself a travel letter so you can start waveridering around to get to all the places you can get electro.

The actual point-scoring parts of the events are mostly just "let's see you use the new ELECTRO GRAPNEL" and "fight some NEW INAZUMA ENEMIES but constrain your movement radius for SWEET BUFFS". There's enough electro prize tickets to both buy out the event shops and get Beidou so there's probably a lot of slack if you just want Beidou out of this.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It was kinda funny that worked on Venti & Zhongli but I'm guessing they didn't want to inadvertently make something "Pay to Win", even if it's just a one off story fight.

I had both those dudes with me and I was like "...hey wait a second"

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I mean you are supposed to lose, and her HP is capped at a certain amount regardless of how much damage you can deal. If they did not want to inadvertently make it p2w, they probably should have sealed Ganyu's and Klee's autos.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
A decree is basically a contractual/lawful obligation, so Zhonglis hands are tied and he'd be very adamant about this.

Venti would just go "teehee".

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zwiebel posted:

A decree is basically a contractual/lawful obligation, so Zhonglis hands are tied and he'd be very adamant about this.

Venti would just go "teehee".

"I forgot my powers are not vision-given, teehee!"

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I haven't gotten to that point in the story yet, but it could also be explained away as they'd both rather throw the fight than blow their cover.

Also I unexpectedly snagged Ayaka from a random single pull last night :toot: . It's good to finally have a cryo DPS that I'm willing to build (sorry Chongyun and Kaeya).

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 28, 2021

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Nobody actually sees the fight though. I do wish there was a line or two acknowledging them like the adz fight with Z.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You are canonically always fighting alone, the real Venti and Zhongli are back at their respective areas.

I thought people got that when they had Childe fight Childe every week

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Tae posted:

You are canonically always fighting alone, the real Venti and Zhongli are back at their respective areas.

if that's true then how did they get sealed HMM???

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Traveler is a soul-eater and every character you swap to is a hungry ghost

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

King of Bleh posted:

I haven't gotten to that point in the story yet, but it could also be explained away as they'd both rather throw the fight than blow their cover.

One would expect that Baal would recognize either of them immediately, since they're all Archons.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Tae posted:

Then why does Adz recognize when you have Zhong in your party?????

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hackan Slash posted:

because that battle is a "memory" of the battle you had with azdaha, and you're just hearing the line he gave in the original fight, which canonically involved zhongli

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is filling out the character constellations actually worth the trouble? I've gotten dupes for Ningguang and Bennet pretty much in a row, and it feels like a bummer when I could be getting a new character with a fresh kit.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Tae posted:

My wife did every hangout with the hangout character. I think there is some salacious Bennet x Bennet fanfic buried in her head.

Hackan Slash posted:

The story battle gave you zhongli, every weekly fight is basically a dream sequence where you relive the fight. The only boss that legit fights you every week is Andrius because he is bored and lonely I assume (and he is not in a domain).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is filling out the character constellations actually worth the trouble? I've gotten dupes for Ningguang and Bennet pretty much in a row, and it feels like a bummer when I could be getting a new character with a fresh kit.

Depends on the character. Some characters have really impactful constellations (Ningguang and Bennett have some great early constellations) so getting dupes of them is going to make them meaningfully better. That said I wouldn't recommend throwing primogems into a banner just for constellations unless you've got gems to burn.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

hiddenriverninja posted:

depending on the character it can be a big power spike, but pulling for constellations is usually marginal value unless you have no interest in new characters and want to power up your existing party

and rolling for 5* constellations is a disaster

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Looks like one of Sara's passive talents is the inazuma expedition talent. Time to finally give amber some rest.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I hope Gorou has the material radar passive for Inazuma, due to knowing where he buries all his toys

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've stopped getting max value out of expedition passives but if they don't add an ore expedition in 2.1 it seems like Sara will be in a new tier of useless.

meanwhile the ore refund ones people always poo poo talk make it slightly less painful when i make the bad Inazuma weapons like spear/claymore, so they're good imo. if only a character who did that for swords existed I'd be so happy with my amenoma refines...

kater
Nov 16, 2010

strongly recommend torturing talking to saimon jirou before rescuing him.

kater fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 28, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they should have added an expedition slot or two with inazuma

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Hazdoc posted:

and rolling for 5* constellations is a disaster

Tell that to the C2 Zhongli I got without saving for months or purchasing crystals :colbert:

In seriousness, whether you should go for constellations depends on what stage of the game you're in, how attached you are to the characters currently on offer, etc. Early on, it's better to go for character variety rather than constellations so that you have more options in building new teams. There's nothing wrong with continuing to pull on a banner where you've got two of the offered 4* characters at C0, but if you have all three it's probably best to stop. The more characters you have, the less you have to worry about getting constellations on your way to build pity for whatever 5* you want; once you've got some characters at C5 and C6 then you have to start planning in advance again.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I feel very seen by this

https://youtube.com/shorts/hPtbG9xS__4?feature=share

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Fontaine has movies???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did the new artifact domain for the first time today, I figured I'd get my Electro Traveler kitted out just in case and it's.. pleasingly easy. I like the pyro/cryo boost zones a lot, a lot more fun than THIS DOMAIN WILL KILL YOU UNLESS YOU STAND HERE stuff.

Got poo poo artifacts of course, but hey, at least it's not a nightmare to run.