Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Pain of Mind posted:

Those are not claymores though and the Serpent Spine costs money. I suppose I could wait for a new claymore to come out, but no idea if that will be within the time scale of even continuing to play the game. Will it be in 2 months or 12 months? Who knows? It seems like the new 5* weapons are specifically designed for a paired 5* character that comes out at the same time, so the next 5* claymore could be + %HP or whatever if some new 5* scales off of that. I guess either way it does not matter much, there is nothing that cannot be done easily with a 4* weapon. I just see new characters as more of a burden than a benefit due to all of the resources needed to farm artifacts/weapons/exp books/ascension mats and I want something to spend wishes on.

If you think leveling a character is a burden, consider that getting WGS to level 90 costs 910 of the big weapon XP crystals, 1.2 million mora, six 5* weapon mats, 14 of each of the 4* and 3* mats, 41 chaos cores (purple ruin guard drops) and just a gazillion of the lower level mats.

All of that for this:

That's a whopping 13% damage increase over an R5 craftable weapon when the passive isn't active (which is more than half the time even under ideal conditions). WGS is a waste of primogems.

The battle pass is decent value for money, too. It's not Welkin, but if you're playing the game a lot, $10 every 50 days or so isn't much of a subscription fee. As for future claymores, anything with crit on it is basically guaranteed to be better than WGS. ATK% just isn't a good substat.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Traveller posted:

I've been playing this for a while now and I just have to ask:

what the actual gently caress is with the love life of Liyue dudes

You need in game characters that players can relate too.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

TheFluff posted:

That's a whopping 13% damage increase over an R5 craftable weapon when the passive isn't active (which is more than half the time even under ideal conditions). WGS is a waste of primogems.

I've found one claymore blank since october 6th

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

padijun posted:

I'm still at 0 prototype drops ever

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
my crowning achievement in this game is my R5 Archaic.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

padijun posted:

Blackcliff Sword R1 with the passive inactive is only a few percentage points behind, if it matters.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Apparently there's a new Floor 12. Not sure about the others.

Summary:
  • No Ley Line effect
  • Star reqs are 3/5/7 minutes for all chambers
  • Chamber 1 both parts: Geovishap
  • Chamber 2-1: Electro and Cryo Cicin Mages
  • Chamber 2-2: Pyro Agent and Treasure Hoarders
  • Chamber 3-1: Ruin Guard
  • Chamber 3-2: Ruin Grader
Look like cake again for freeze teams

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gandlethorpe posted:

Summary:
  • No Ley Line effect

gonna be interesting to see what the hp pools are like, especially since the damage bonus is gone

current floor 12 is just embarassingly easy tho

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
DPS check on chamber 3 looks extreme. 2x Ruin graders has a ton of health. Don't think I'm gonna make it to 36 stars this time my raw dps is not insane.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2021

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Summary:
  • No Ley Line effect

I think I can do 3 just fine unless there is a ton of them but 2-1 will be the bane of my existence... I have nothing that can deal with both cryo and electro cicin mages at the same time.

edit: Actually, I've never fought 2 ruin graders at the same time, it's very easy to dodge everything from a single one but I'm not sure how manageable two are.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 15, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirello posted:

A little bit late for this discussion, but lol at the dude saying jean is the worst 5 star. I pulled her pretty recently and shes great. Extremely versatile, really fun e, great resonance. also looks good. the worst 5 star by far is qiqi. She sucks. all she does is heal. bennet is better than her in every way. I've pulled her twice and I'm so pissed off. every other 5 star is at least interesting in someway. Qiqi just sucks.

She also does good DPS if you're not at the stage where you've grinded artifacts a lot. I used her as a carry for a long time.

TheFluff posted:

Agreed with No Wave, Wolf's Gravestone isn't that good. ATK% weapons just don't scale nearly as well as crit ones do. It doesn't have a particularly good passive either, it just stacks even more ATK% that you don't really need, with a lovely uptime too.

Staff of Homa on the other hand is very good if the datamined stats are correct, and specifically designed for Hu Tao. As for the others, only the Widsith is really good. The Lithic weapons are very gimmicky and Sacrificial Bow is only really good on Diona (although on her it's arguably her BiS weapon). I would not roll on that weapon banner at all. The only way I can see that making sense is if you're whaling to get both Hu Tao and her 5* weapon.

Staff of Homa also seems like it would be really good on Zhongli due to the HP boost.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

gandlethorpe posted:

Summary:
  • No Ley Line effect

Specific encounters:
  • Each chamber has all enemies in a single wave
  • Ch 1 both parts: two Geovishaps, no special effects
  • Ch 2-1: one of each, Electro w/ lightning wall aura
  • Ch 2-2: two Agents, one w/ fireball aura; two shovel guys (lol)
  • Ch 3-1: two Guards, one w/ earthquake aura
  • Ch 3-2: two Graders, one w/ ice cage aura

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I watched some footage. It looks insanely harder than this current rotation. Should be fun if you're into it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just unlocked the battle pass or whatever they call it and the Abyss.

Are there any penalties / time restrictions on attempting the Abyss now? Do failed attempts cost anything more than time?

And do I have to do anything special to fill out the battle pass stuff or will it just accumulate if I'm doing the other daily grind-style activities? Also must I remember to claim it at the end of its period or will it automatically hand out rewards?

Also scraped together the rest of my resources and rolled a Diona, so now I've got Bennett, Diona, Noelle, and Lisa. Seems like a solid comp though I'm not sure if Lisa makes the best carry; certainly spamming her special is a bit chatty.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Hammer Bro. posted:

Are there any penalties / time restrictions on attempting the Abyss now? Do failed attempts cost anything more than time?

And do I have to do anything special to fill out the battle pass stuff or will it just accumulate if I'm doing the other daily grind-style activities? Also must I remember to claim it at the end of its period or will it automatically hand out rewards?

Also scraped together the rest of my resources and rolled a Diona, so now I've got Bennett, Diona, Noelle, and Lisa. Seems like a solid comp though I'm not sure if Lisa makes the best carry; certainly spamming her special is a bit chatty.

Lisa is definitely not a good carry. You can probably make due with Traveler as your main carry until you get xiangling frim abyss 3-3.

Don’t worry about investing resources - they don’t become scarce until AR 35 so level whoever.

XL / Bennett / traveler / diona would make a really strong melt team.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hammer Bro. posted:

Abyss runs cost absolutely nothing other than time (you can't use food in there and if you die you can retry or leave and in both cases you get revived).

If you play every day a decent amount of time and do the weekly bosses the battle pass fills up by itself, but we're already a week and a bit into the current BP cycle so if you're considering paying for it you'll probably have to grind a bit to get to the decent rewards. Doing events is also a big source of BP progression so if you haven't gotten to Liyue and the lantern festival yet you'll be behind. You do need to claim both BP points and rewards manually.

Lisa can work but out of the four characters you mentioned I'd say Bennett is your best carry option. Noelle can also work but she doesn't kill things as fast. Really though play whoever you like. Also, at the rate they're currently adding 4* characters you'll get all of them eventually. Especially if you're paying for the $5/month primogem package.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yes and no. There's a number of things you can do to earn BP, but they're explicitly stated in the Pass and you have to actively claim them or you'll lose them, especially the daily goals.

You also have to actively claim your rewards, but for those, you can wait until the end of the Pass as long as you've earned the Points.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Failed attempts won't cost you anything more than time. It resets at the end of the period, so if you don't clear stage 8, you'll have to redo the floors you've done already. But if you beat floor 3 now, you get Xiangling for free, so it can't hurt you to go that far at least.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do the stuff that's listed on the battle pass, including the daily, weekly and battle pass period items before the period ends, don't forget to claim the stuff. Try to get as much done before the end of the period, since you paid for it. If you do all the daily tasks daily, and the weekly tasks weekly, as well as some BP tasks (like the event tasks) you can get it done (LV 50) without difficulty. You'll notice there is a weekly exp. limit, so once you pass that, you won't get any more until the next week. Only daily and weekly tasks count towards the weekly limit. IE if you are at the weekly limit, you can still do event tasks and get the rewards.

It resets at the end of the period, so if you can't complete it, it's your loss.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
A new abyss 12? Gated primarily by things you can't knock back that require big dps? I wonder if they'll soon be selling a character that fits in here...

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thanks for the feedback.

Can one only unlock so much Abyss stuff per run?

Like it says Defeat All Enemies with 90 / 120 / 210 seconds remaining. I beat it with 230 or so, and it only gave me the 1* reward. Did it even faster the next time and it only gave me the 2* reward.

Also I gotta figure out how to kill things way faster, unless the expected level for floor 2 is way higher than 30ish.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Only abyss 9-12 resets, 1-8 are static

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Can one only unlock so much Abyss stuff per run?

Like it says Defeat All Enemies with 90 / 120 / 210 seconds remaining. I beat it with 230 or so, and it only gave me the 1* reward. Did it even faster the next time and it only gave me the 2* reward.

Also I gotta figure out how to kill things way faster, unless the expected level for floor 2 is way higher than 30ish.

You can get 3 stars on your first run if you beat the 3 star time. I'd double check that you aren't reading something backwards.

If you mean character level 30, it should be doable. The first thing to look at in improving DPS at your level is artifacts. You can probably cobble together decent sets from what you've picked up already, your resin is better spent on world bosses or leylines than farming for artifacts. The artifacts don't need to be fully leveled, but getting your main DPS a decent set to +4 or +8 will significantly improve their power. Leveling up your weapon is the next best source of DPS at your level. After both of those, character levels come into play. Eventually you'll also want to look at leveling talents, but I don't think you're at the point of those being unlocked yet.

For reference, I just ran it with a team of level 60 or 70 characters with level 60 or 70 weapons and not great, not fully leveled artifacts and one or two shotted basically everything on that floor. They all have upgraded talents, though.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 16, 2021

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mailer posted:

A new abyss 12? Gated primarily by things you can't knock back that require big dps? I wonder if they'll soon be selling a character that fits in here...
Can't wait for the Jean banner Abyss rotation where all the enemies have 2 million HP and can only be killed in 3 star time with fall damage.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hammer Bro. posted:

You have your time units mixed up. 210 seconds is 3 minutes and 30 seconds, so for 3*, you have to defeat all enemies before the timer hits 3:30.

There is no resin required for abyss. As long as you know what you are doing and have the leveled up weapons, artifacts, talents, you can advance through the floors. Of course, the leveled up weapons, artifacts, talents are locked behind resin.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Haha, mixed up my time units real good, I did.

Did a bit better after dinner, at least good enough to get Xiangling. I think I'm starting to get a better feel of combat in this game -- one should really be spamming special moves as fast as possible, huh? (Or at least, ice/fire and swirlies nonstop seemed to do me justice.)

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Mailer posted:

Ohhhhhhh it's Keqing. Because knockback is a main flaw in her kit. Got it. I was about to ask what was up with Hu Tao and knockback lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Another week, another set of disappointing world boss drops.

At least I've finally got a second Crit Dmg Gladiator helmet so I don't have to keep swapping the one back and forth between Razor and Chongyun anymore.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Haha, mixed up my time units real good, I did.

Did a bit better after dinner, at least good enough to get Xiangling. I think I'm starting to get a better feel of combat in this game -- one should really be spamming special moves as fast as possible, huh? (Or at least, ice/fire and swirlies nonstop seemed to do me justice.)

Yeah normally you use special moves as much as possible, and you have a main DPS character who uses their normal attack while everything is on cooldown

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, new floor 12 is pretty fun. Huge improvement over the last one.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I tried to do co-op tower defense for the first time, figuring that since maps have multiple pathways now it'll be easier with multiple people

Nope, like all my other experiences in this game, it's easier solo

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

What's the most effective strategy for stopping the big guys in Theater Mechanicus? Every single time I can get to the last/second to last stage with no enemies escaping but the moment Lawachurls and Ruin Graders show up it seems like none of my defenses are able to stop them. Is there a specific combination you need to use or is it just about levelling up all of your weapons to max and getting lucky with bonus actions?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bland posted:

What's the most effective strategy for stopping the big guys in Theater Mechanicus? Every single time I can get to the last/second to last stage with no enemies escaping but the moment Lawachurls and Ruin Graders show up it seems like none of my defenses are able to stop them. Is there a specific combination you need to use or is it just about levelling up all of your weapons to max and getting lucky with bonus actions?

It's just kind of a rule of thumb in tower defense games that the slowing towers (i.e. cryo) are your first priority. Cyro + hydro means freezing things, which means extra time for your DPS towers (fire and electro) to pound on them. Since I run Ganyu, I can go easy on the cryo towers as long as I'm vigilant about rotating between enemy spawns. I assume if you have somebody who can apply hydro easily (Childe or Barb), you can flip it.

Also, characters with summon skills (Fischl, Xiangling) are very useful because they can apply an element for your towers to react with while you go and deal with something else.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Leveling helps, but mainly having a mix of water, and fire towers with ice character backup melts them pretty good

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can stagger lawahurls

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

inthesto posted:

It's just kind of a rule of thumb in tower defense games that the slowing towers (i.e. cryo) are your first priority. Cyro + hydro means freezing things, which means extra time for your DPS towers (fire and electro) to pound on them. Since I run Ganyu, I can go easy on the cryo towers as long as I'm vigilant about rotating between enemy spawns. I assume if you have somebody who can apply hydro easily (Childe or Barb), you can flip it.

Also, characters with summon skills (Fischl, Xiangling) are very useful because they can apply an element for your towers to react with while you go and deal with something else.

Well that's what I was hoping people wouldn't say because that's exactly the strategy I was using haha. My last run I had a cryo tower at each entrance, with hydro and electro towers in pairs at every major chokepoint, as well as two ordnance towers at the centre of the map to pelt them while they were being slowed and frozen. I also had Ganyu peppering them with frost arrows to freeze them for as long as the game would allow, but my towers just weren't putting out enough damage. The ruin graders tended to get through my defences at about 1/4 health. I guess I probably just need to max out my towers.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pro strat: Go back in time, pull for Ganyu.
My strat: Reset until you get the map with the single gate you can chokepoint and use geoMC to drop three acorns in the path that blocks all mobs while they get chewed by towers.
My strat (revised because difficulty 6 removes the good map): Lose, prioritize where you spend your currency.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 16, 2021

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You can body block them with Zhongli's (and probably also Geo Travellers) constructs.

Also having both a hydro and cryo character in your party can let you keep freezing/shattering monsters that get back to your towers.

Also also, you can run ahead and plant some emergency mines if you haven't maxed out your tower count.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bland posted:

Well that's what I was hoping people wouldn't say because that's exactly the strategy I was using haha. My last run I had a cryo tower at each entrance, with hydro and electro towers in pairs at every major chokepoint, as well as two ordnance towers at the centre of the map to pelt them while they were being slowed and frozen. I also had Ganyu peppering them with frost arrows to freeze them for as long as the game would allow, but my towers just weren't putting out enough damage. The ruin graders tended to get through my defences at about 1/4 health. I guess I probably just need to max out my towers.

Oh if your towers aren't maxed out that's one hundred percent it.

I just did a run on the current highest difficulty and I more or less stopped paying attention at wave 4 and got a full clear. Leveling up your towers is important.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Is Mysticus Mechanicus: Desire worth unlocking and levelling? The description doesn't really paint a good picture of its effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Looking through the unlocks, it looks to be roughly 900 tokens you might lose in the end, with them all being the max level stuff. Most of them you can outgear via tower upgrades or possibly get carried by Ganyugoons.

The store is really weird because it looks like the currency is extremely tight. If there's multiple books on offer it looks like there wouldn't be enough to clean it out. I'm guessing there's some other quest or something that generates enough tokens to max it all.