Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F8bkyA8eBs

Same same, but different, but still same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Is the popular opinion still that Keqing is bad? Because I know people said that a lot and everytime I dodge her I'm just like "I dunno the lightning sword lady seems cool".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

She's fine but worse than the other 5* carries

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is the popular opinion still that Keqing is bad? Because I know people said that a lot and everytime I dodge her I'm just like "I dunno the lightning sword lady seems cool".

Popular opinion is that everyone is bad. She's perfectly fine to play, cleared Azdaha this week with her to not suffer from resistances (plus Noelle/Qiqi/Fischl)

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I use her as my main carry, she works perfectly fine if you invest in her. Her + Xingqui + Fischl basically electrocute everything to death in mere moments. She doesn't outperform my Diluc in most cases, but she's way more fun to play for me.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Just got her to friendship ten and I feel like she's decent. I think playing her is fun. She's not on my short list for chars to get 7k points on this current event though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

her playstyle is divisive and she's objectively worse than a lot of other characters if you want to chase abyss stars but if neither of those matter to you then whatever, she'll murder hilichurls with the best of them

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There isn't a single bad 5* character in the game, and if you extend that, no one is really bad except maybe Amber and Lisa. Everyone says Qiqi is the worst 5* but her heals are good enough to perfect Abyss everytime and I prefer her over Barbara as I use more and more cyro users.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also there have been some leaks about the flat damage (read: electro) reactions getting massively buffed in their Elemental Mastery scaling, and if those are true keqing is probably right up there with sucrose in terms of characters who are going to benefit

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Ephraim posted:

There isn't a single bad 5* character in the game, and if you extend that, no one is really bad except maybe Amber and Lisa. Everyone says Qiqi is the worst 5* but her heals are good enough to perfect Abyss everytime and I prefer her over Barbara as I use more and more cyro users.

ok but keqing's a 5* damage dealer who's currently worse at her job than 4* units, including several at very modest constellations, which is as good a definition of a mechanical flop as you can get. some characters really are better than others and "no character is bad" really just seems like semantic quibbling at that point.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:eyepop:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

No character is bad isn’t semantics the question was about that electro lady seeming cool and the answer is yeah she is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok but keqing's a 5* damage dealer who's currently worse at her job than 4* units, including several at very modest constellations, which is as good a definition of a mechanical flop as you can get. some characters really are better than others and "no character is bad" really just seems like semantic quibbling at that point.

Other characters being better doesn't make her bad since this isn't a pvp game imo. I wouldn't call any character bad unless they struggle to do their job but fortunately she can so there's no problem.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
alright there's like a lot of people making this same argument, so i'm willing to accept that i'm possibly the insane one in this conversation, but i seriously don't get it. why is it unreasonable to say that keqing is bad because she's by far the least effective 5* unit, in a game that makes you pay real money or unreal amounts of time for 5* units?

we talk about good or bad things in single player games without pvp all the time! there's good options and bad options in RPGs that let you build your own character, and it's demonstrably not weird to talk about good pokemon (mewtwo!) and bad pokemon (pidgey!) or whatever. if i went in guns blazing into the slay the spire thread about how there are actually no bad cards, i'd get laughed out of it.

your decisions in gacha games have more weight than in those games because again, the developers are trying to FOMO you into spending money by seeing how much damage all your friends are doing. there are people like two pages ago in this very thread posting about how sad they are that they can't get all the points in the current event because they don't have zhongli/ganyu/whatever and manifestly having less fun over it!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Reiterpallasch posted:

alright there's like a lot of people making this same argument, so i'm willing to accept that i'm possibly the insane one in this conversation, but i seriously don't get it. why is it unreasonable to say that keqing is bad because she's by far the least effective 5* unit, in a game that makes you pay real money or unreal amounts of time for 5* units?

we talk about good or bad things in single player games without pvp all the time! there's good options and bad options in RPGs that let you build your own character, and it's demonstrably not weird to talk about good pokemon (mewtwo!) and bad pokemon (pidgey!) or whatever. if i went in guns blazing into the slay the spire thread about how there are actually no bad cards, i'd get laughed out of it.

your decisions in gacha games have more weight than in those games because again, the developers are trying to FOMO you into spending money by seeing how much damage all your friends are doing. there are people like two pages ago in this very thread posting about how sad they are that they can't get all the points in the current event because they don't have zhongli/ganyu/whatever and manifestly having less fun over it!
Tbh I have no idea, I have been on your side of this discussion in this thread many times before.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Reiterpallasch posted:

She is still good enough to do all the content currently in the game so all that's left is do you enjoy her playstyle more than the other character who does 20% more damage?

Your ability to clear this game's content is limited much more by the gear and talents than by your team comp anyway. People who struggle to get 4k won't magically get 5k by having ganyu as she has some serious gear requirements before coming online.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pidgey being bad in comparison to mewtwo doesn't really matter for single player pokemon either since pidgey does the job just fine.

Slay the Spire on the other hand is hard as gently caress and the bad cards do not in fact do their job very well if your goal is to win (aside from some very specific circumstances).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 4, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not even saying she's particularly good. I just think that saying a character is bad because they are not optimal in the super-endgame content that is an extremely small part of the game is kind of pointless.

edit: same applies to events with marginal extra rewards for doing something very difficult like the current domain

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

What makes Keqing good and what made that Azhdaha kill possible were less obvious aspects of her toolkit like speed and mobility

There's more to a good 5* than dps potential or reactions

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Keqing's mobility is terrible, she burns stamina faster than any other character. Despite her teleport when you play her you have to be less mobile or alternatively just do absolutely crap damage. The best I can say about her is she generates particles for Beidou, a very good character with an energy problem.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

why is it unreasonable to say that keqing is bad because she's by far the least effective 5* unit

Because the correct word to use is 'worse.' The pushback against Keqing=bad comes from people who don't see 'worse' as 'bad' when she's actually 'good enough' and comes with a fun kit.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the people crying that they can’t get all the points because they don’t have a specific character are worse, not bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is the argument that (1) no characters are bad because you can stack up perfect roll artifacts on them, or that (2) no characters are bad because you can do all content with them?

Let me ask another question:

You have a hat piece with EM mainstat, flat ATK, flat DEF, and flat HP substats.

This is objectionably a bad artifact, wouldn’t you agree? But according to those two arguments up top you can’t call this a bad artifact because (1) you can put it on an OP character like Ganyu, and (2) you can clear all content with it.

Neither arguments make sense in both cases.

Just admit it that some characters are bad. It’s not a personal attack, even if you like that character.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 4, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is the argument that (1) no characters are bad because you can stack up perfect roll artifacts on them, or that (2) no characters are bad because you can do all content with them?

You have a hat piece with EM mainstat, flat ATK, flat DEF, and flat HP substats.

This is objectionable a bad artifact, wouldn’t you agree? But according to those two arguments up top you can’t call this a bad artifact because (1) you can put it on an OP character like Ganyu, and (2) you can clear all content with it.

Just admit it that some characters are bad.

This is an idiotic argument because that hat isn’t a cat girl.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is objectionably a bad artifact, wouldn’t you agree? But according to those two arguments up top you can’t call this a bad artifact because (1) you can put it on an OP character like Ganyu, and (2) you can clear all content with it.

Just admit it that some characters are bad. It’s not a personal attack, even if you like that character.

My argument is that I don't think any character in Genshin is bad because Mihoyo has made the floor on characters pretty high so far (and the ceiling on the vast majority of the content isn't very high). All of them function fine and generally do what you want them to do.

I have played plenty of games where there are bad actually bad characters/options/choices/whatever where characters actually have problems doing their job and clearing stuff will actually be pretty difficult if you want to use those options. I don't think any character in Genshin qualifies.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 4, 2021

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
keqing is good and whenever i dust her off for cryo/pyro immune bounties i remember hey she does pretty good damage why do people whine so goddamn much about this perfectly good character who can do a lot of damage

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

keqing is good and whenever i dust her off for cryo/pyro immune bounties i remember hey she does pretty good damage why do people whine so goddamn much about this perfectly good character who can do a lot of damage
Idk, why do you keep having to dust her off?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

she's been at friendship 10 for months because i used her as my main carry after diluc hit friendship 10

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Ok so let's settle this argument. She's not bad, she's just worse than all the other 5*. So from now on, please refer to her as The Worst and we can all get along.

e: mine is +1 :(

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Electro is a fairly weak element, especially on a character who can't set it down to do bonus damage. Keqing is strong, but is kinda doomed by her element and kit. If electro reactions scaled the same way vape/melt did, she'd be in a way WAY better position.

I also have a 90 8/9/8 Keqing with black sword. So I pretty aware of her strength AND limitations.

ButterSkeleton fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 4, 2021

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Yeah it was funny to read all the problems people have vs the current Azhdaha after I absentmindedly walked in there with my keqing team to trivially collect my paycheck.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Keqing can handle a vast majority of the games normal content fine.

Her issue, however, is in the scenario that you are chasing 36* on abyss rotations, and you find yourself choosing Hu Tao/Xingqiu/Fischl/Albedo, and Xiao/Venti/Bennet/Xiangling for a reason

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

valuum posted:

Ok so let's settle this argument

done

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

she's not a catgirl they're just hairbuns

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Keqing was more than sufficient to get me 6500 points on the event dungeons by a good margin (don't care enough to try for more), and to 12-3 in the current Abyss. And that's with the 4 star Black Sword and a really mediocre artifact setup. I've seen whales on Twitch whose Keqing easily does twice the damage mine does, and that just shows that she's not bad relative to the content you can pit her against, she just doesn't reach the ludicrous heights of Ganyu, Diluc, Hu Tao and the others.

I mean, Enviosity cleared the current 12-3 with 7 F2P characters who had no skills past level 6 and only crafted weapons, so it's not like the content we have right now is too much for Keqing, you just might need to work a bit harder at it than you do if you have the 5* characters that are "overpowered".

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 4, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How many characters are even good? Like uh... idk they all seem kinda crap.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

20 of the 33 characters are good.
1 of the characters is Chongyun, who China seems to play a lot for reasons I can't understand.
10 don't seem to have real comps where they excel (I have leveled and geared three of these characters).
2 characters are Amber and Lisa.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 4, 2021

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The only good characters are the waifus, the men who look like waifus, and the kid who plays with bombs.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Chong is good because he provides cryo infusion with his elemental skill, which has a low downtime, and his burst can actually do respectable damage.
Cryo infusion is good because pyro is the objectively strongest element, pyro+cryo=melt, melts are :bigdamage: and bigger numbers make brain go "aww yiss".
He's also got a great character design/aesthetic, if you care about that in a waifu/husbando collector game.
IIRC he's the top-tier support for Diluc comps (alongside Xingqiu), which many early players use since Diluc is a braindead-simple and powerful pyro DPS.

In theory Kaeya could accomplish very nearly the same thing against everything but solo bosses with no adds, but you really need constellations and those are drat near impossible to get on him.

Also I'm now curious as to the other 10 you didn't mention by name.

kater posted:

How many characters are even good? Like uh... idk they all seem kinda crap.
All of them are good in various ways or in specific scenarios. From the lengthy conversation earlier, Keq is only suboptimal in comparison to other 5* carries and a couple of hilariously broken 4* characters. Is she bad? No. She's just not the best. You'd still gladly take her if you had no other 5*s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t think I’m gonna get Zhongli, and I haven’t invested in a geo character yet so I guess I should do that. Who’s more versatile/gonna help me out the most? Ningguang (idk C1 or C2, whichever the first good constellation is), Noelle (C6), or Albedo? Main DPS are Klee and Hu Tao (and Venti), with standard Benny XQ supports and Qiqi.