Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its in Jean's friendship story unlocks at least. It says that Jean's mother was a knight and her dad was an adventurer, after a while he went into the church becoming the deacon or something. They got divorced and mom kept custody of Jean and dad of Barbara. It also mentions they aren't really any speaking terms

Jean and Barbara being secret siblings is kinda funny because if you don't read those bits in the lore, there's some dialogue in Jean's story quest that is very easy to misinterpret as Barbara having a crush on Jean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I thought it was nice to get some more background on Snezhnaya and Childe himself, but the game already has way too many cutesy child characters just among the main cast for me to stomach yet another whimsical child character as the entire focal point of the quest.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Another thing to consider for talents is what reactions you're focusing on. Xiangling can put out some pretty sick vaporize/melt hits with both her skill and her burst if you build for it, since they hit slowly for big(ish) multipliers, so that might weigh more towards investing in them.

Conversely a whole lot of the damage from her autos actually comes from the crescent pike bonus, so you get comparatively less improvement from each single level there.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Is the melt boost applying to all three hits here? I've been assuming that melt/vaporize were good for one hit only, does it apply to the entire triggering attack?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Just tested in game and looks like this is the case. Interestingly, melt will always apply to the first two hits, while using a "strong" pyro skill will amplify all three. The chart in the link from reddit shows the duration of status effects from the different skills. Ones with a longer duration (~10) are considered strong. The best ones seems to be Bennet's Q and his level 1 E, Xiangling's first hit from Guoba, and Amber's charged attack (lol).

Oh wow, this definitely causes me to reappraise Chongyun and other "flurry" style bursts that I was previously assuming were trash for vaporize/melt.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Depending on how specifically the hidden aura cooldowns work, Chongyun might be able to apply cryo faster than any other character can apply any other element, if the ice-attack buff doesn't have a single shared global cooldown. Normal attack/charged attack/rotate character/Repeat probably gives you something like 2 cryo applications per second for the full duration, theoretically.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I really hope they add some ability to hot-swap artifact loadouts in a future patch. Between the abyss/event fights/bounties it seems like there's a lot of incentives to have a dynamic roster that you tweak for each encounter, but helllll if I can be bothered to keep my active team properly geared through all that, so I always have a bunch of level 20 gold feathers etc stuck with on benched characters.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
One of the BP monthly goals is also "make 50 wishes" so I think they want to dis-incentivize stuffing all your gems in the mattress.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Also don't worry about the the sub-stats on artifacts at all except as a tiebreak between similar options, because the primary & set bonus stats are much more impactful. Especially since all of the stat upgrades are random, so you can push it to +20 and just get a bunch of defense and +HP upgrades instead of what you want.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

kater posted:

Oops pulled Childe.

The White Dragon posted:

lol same. i was trying to get c4 diona

Also same, I put in one final 10x on the old banner hoping for absolutely any of the 4*s, and instead broke pity at like 30 rolls and screwed myself out of geo-dad :( . I wish there was a "no thanks" button for rolls for cases like this, just give me glitter and let me keep my pity counters...

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
To balance out all the good-roll posts, I just threw my monthly set of acquaint fates at the perma banner and got fuckin' C1 Amber of all things.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Hazdoc posted:

the problem with jean DPS is that she's splitting her damage between two types, physical and anemo. Diluc can build for pyro and be fine doing it, since he infuses his sword with pyro after bursting, but jean has no such luxury. So often she ends up being relegated to healer/nuke support rather than a proper DPS, unless you're explicitly building the team around her with a venti, for instance.

Her skill and burst have good multipliers but there's still close to zero point gearing Jean for specifically DPS because her best numbers in any fight you'd care about come from impact damage. So you can blow days worth of artifact XP to squeeze an extra 1000 damage from her E skill, or you can just punt an abyss mage into a wall for like 15k damage times 2 hits, every six seconds, and she can do that with lucky dog artifacts and a one star sword.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 5, 2020

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I really would have hoped that this thread would be above all the pearl-clutching over how it's somehow immoral for a game character to be under-tuned. It couldn't possibly matter less, just bench him and move on with life.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Mihoyo please, why am I being punished?

This is your karmic retribution for all those sick DPS clips.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

If there is one thing that baffles me the most about this game, if for some reason the game need to reach out to the server when I want to switch characters in my team, thus when i have high ping, it can take an extra second to switch.

I love loving up combos in a single player game because someone is watching netflix in my house.

I was on vacation with bad internet a couple weeks ago and discovered unhappily that almost every action you take other than running around and attacking needs to wait and ping the server. The game rapidly becomes basically unplayable if your ping is even as bad as like, 200ms.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Can't wait for them to raise the character/weapon cap to 100 and for 90-100 to take the same amount of resources as 0-90.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
6* artifacts are inevitable since in another month or two all the steady players will be swimming in 5 stars and won't have anything left to do but to hunt for better substats.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

No Wave posted:

This week's abyss buff is another stupid geo thing (deal dmg when your shield is hit). Isnt it fun to have the character banners, weapon banners, and abyss buffs monopolized by a single element for two months.

Stop trying to make "Geo" happen, Mihoyo!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

LorneReams posted:

I meant people having so much trouble with that event fight that they needed to nerf it.

Childe has multiple OHKO attacks and generally hits very fast and hard if you don't know how to dodge his attacks, and revival foods DO have a lengthy cooldown.

He's quite manageable once you learn his patterns, but so far that specific story fight has been the first and only actual difficulty spike outside of the Abyss (which is primarily just Big Numbers gently caress You anyway, and not truly difficult).

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Lol, that's one way to buff Geo.

As a non-Geo user who hasn't made it past 11-1 yet this is devastating.

e: the revamped floors 9 and 10 sound way less obnoxious than current, though. The constant burning on 10 is atrocious.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

dogsicle posted:

so the big fat crystal in event shop images is actually a new tier of weapon exp? that's nice. loling already at my dumb rear end hauling through sheer cold to farm this twice weekly or whatever its respawn is.

"Fine" is just tier 2, so starsilver will be equivalent to white iron.

quote:

As the Frostbearing Tree grows, so too will its desire for power...
:thunk:

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

No Wave posted:

It's actually embarrassing how much I'm looking forward to this update. And the 95 rolls I'll finally get to make.

I thought this was a bug but wasn't sure. Very nice.

Smoldering Flames stunlocking you until you cleared it made Abyss 10 complete cancer, thank god it was only a bug, I assumed it was intentional along with all the other Abyss bullshit.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It took me ages to even notice ‘aminus’ my brain just refused to acknowledge it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The "Assassin of Kings"... thing that triggers the achievement is fantastic. Dragonspine is good as hell so far, I'll be sad when I've stripmined it of goodies and have to go back to grinding domains.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I launched the game this morning and it started with controller controls already enabled. Undocumented bugfix?!

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
"Has VV", "can do physics damage", and "can heal" are all pretty critical parts of your kit once you're at abyss 12, so being able to stack all 3 into one unit is great because it frees up the rest of your team to be whatever you want. Even just looking at heals, going from Jean to anyone else, including Bennett, feels like a huge step down.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I cashed in a bunch of fragile resin and hurled hours of rage at Abyss 12-3 and finally managed to clear it in time before the reset. 12-3 was some hateful bullshit, and I'm pretty sure grinding out more levels or perfect artifact setups wouldn't have changed that. I can't tell if I want the next layout to be easier, so that I actually do it, or harder so that I can safely ignore it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Shields need a UI indicator and grabbing multiple shield crystals need any degree of stacking greater than zero. Shields are definitely useful but they're one of the jankiest and least fun feeling mechanics right now.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think a (non) secret about the economics is that for most players, luck absolutely trumps money in this game unless you’re a huge whale. If you get a single rare at say roll 40, that’s already like 3 months and 15 dollars worth of welkin in terms of saved gems, and if that happens a couple more times...

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I switched the game's voice setting to English for a while to hear XY's cool Texas accent. But Ning's voice is so bad when she shouts "Submit!" during her burst animation that I had to switch it back to a gibberish language I don't speak to avoid her driving me crazy.

I just noticed the other day that Xinyan is the same English VA as Barbara, which I think must be part of why they had her do the goofy accent. I also thought it was amusing that both of the "musical celebrity" characters are the same person in a sense.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Against a solo Fatui and if it procs, maybe. Anemoboxers really like body blocking those hits though. And when you miss it's absolutely miserable to have to charge up her bow, which even has an internal cooldown on Cryo application. Her ult ticks excruciatingly slow as well.

EDIT: Case in point and why I had to kick her out of my Floor 11 team A for Kaeya
https://i.imgur.com/T851mV3.mp4

Diona is inarguably a 4* utility character in the same way that Jean is a 5* utility character. She does several distinct helpful things kinda poorly, but in cases where "kinda poorly" is good enough then you can bring her and save those character slots to stack more damage or whatever. (You can make her work for the thunder hammer guys if you save both your ult and your skill for them, there's usually only one hammer bro per wave).

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Nakar posted:

Enemies seem to have a set amount of stagger resistance, akin to Dark Souls Poise or something. Jean's E and her Charged Attack do massive amounts of stagger damage; you can even launch large enemies after using them several times in a row. She's one of the few characters who can interrupt Abyss or Cicin Mages during certain moves where they seem otherwise impossible to stagger or knock down. Her E hold can also interrupt things by grabbing them, but large enemies tend to shrug that off.

Someone itt clued me in that you can use Jean's heavy attacks to trivially stunlock the early phases of Childe and now I refuse to do that fight any other way, it's hilarious watching her knock him around like she's a high school bully trying to shove him in a locker.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Glazius posted:

I grabbed today's secret treasure, and I noticed this near it:

A geograna receptacle! ...but I have no idea where any geograna are nearby. It's all plains and huts.

Same thing happened to me, turns out it's directly on the other side of the tree like two feet away.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I am so irritated with my "good" luck on the event banners, I'm now 2/2 for accidentally sniping myself out of planned guaranteed rolls for both Zhongli and Ganyu in the last day before their banner starts, while at a really low pity counter each time.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I misunderstood bounties in the first week and did one of each tier instead of 3x100, and I'm exactly 100 short of maxing it this week.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I am convinced of the :tinfoil: theory that Qiqi and Ninguang swapped rarities at some point in development because Qiqi is so obviously intended to be a 4* character. She's basically just cryo Barbara.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
You want to lean into the knockback for Keqing. Get enemies against a wall or a geo construct before unloading. She imparts enough force that she can pretty consistently trigger physics damage from the bounces, which can double her DPS in the bottom abyss floors.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'm extremely hoping when they add dendro they rebalance all the reactions. Maybe dendro + electro can be the "multiplies damage" effect to bring it in line with hydro/cryo/pyro.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Claymores and spears are both terminally dull weapon classes, I pulled skyward pride a couple weeks ago and having a "wasted" rare weapon is the only reason I'd even consider using a claymore character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Does the event not scale with world level? That would be a pretty rude inversion of the previous events they've run