Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Again I totally get the "cool" factor well enough, but like to me I could play a given Tales game or any JRPG for that matter and there's probably some generically handsome character (maybe even with the same voice actor if you're into that sort of thing) with a story arc reasonably similar to Zhongli's in there that I could unlock simply by playing the game. That is my initial reaction to that sort of mentality.
but those characters arent in the game theyre already playing. they want the character they think is hot in the game they play. this isnt complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

buffs are a really normal part of a gacha game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

People wouldn't even know to be mad/in an ultranationalist frenzy if they had fun playing him. Like 80% of the playerbase thinks Qiqi is nuts (and Qiqi is rather fun, her ult is sweet). This isn't a reproach, this is a casual game.
if its not a reproach could you stop crying about zhongli getting buffed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No Wave posted:

Keqing is just trash. The only kind of strong thing she does is her charged attack that drains more stamina than other sword charge attacks and blows enemies away and moves her backwards. And even that is absolute poo poo compared to ganyu arrow which can double proc melt while keqing's charged attack can't double proc anything because her internal elemental application cooldowns are garbage. She can't double-proc electro charged when you tap E twice, but Diluc can triple vaporize by mashing E, makes sense.

If you have any self-respect do not spend your rolls on a character that was either horribly designed or, more likely, intentionally designed to be terrible. You deserve better, roll on the next character instead.

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bro this is a gacha game the whole point is to just use the people you like and roll for them. efficiency is just a trick they put in to make idiots roll for characters they dont like

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Did Keqing kill your father or something No Wave you can tell us

she tried to but she knocked him out of her combo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

This was my favorite part of the whole thing

its really funny when people completely misunderstand this stuff. like a bit back orcs in D&D were changed to nto always be evil and there were a bunch of white lib D&D types going 'having a savage race that is always evil is basically like having black people as a monster type' and... so close, yet so far, man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said, fandoms are good. or well, there's a real distinction between the side of 'fandom' that is largely creative and enthusiastic while still being able to articulate thoughts on things, and the side that mostly just exists to spin each other up. like touhou doujin stuff is 'fandom' and that stuff's legitimately incredible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

relaly the genshin fandom drama isnt about 'weebs' so much as insane 14 year olds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bloody Emissary posted:

Never, it's just flavor and the characters shown don't actually have boosted rates.

It's possible the "banner" could change if they decide to add previously-limited characters to the standard banner someday—like for the anniversary or something—but there've been no leaks or other indications of that as of yet.
its literally illegal to do that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Where do people get this strange idea that they can never unlimit exclusive units? Unless this is sarcasm in which case ignore me.
if you say the character is limited, forever, you cant unlimit it, at least not in japan. if you say the character is limited but you may add them to standard pools later, you can do this. granblue got in trouble for this.

AParadox posted:

They add limited characters to standard banner all the time in honkai so if that's illegal they have a long history of doing that.
pretty sure honkai says they will be added to standard at a point in the future

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Where do people get this strange idea that they can never unlimit exclusive units? Unless this is sarcasm in which case ignore me.

Anyways since we're talking about weird gamer takes today and it was briefly brought up here in the past:

People had the idea that LilyPichu got a voice role just because she's an influencer and it would be popularity points but here's one of the voice directors saying he had no idea who she was before the audition. She just nails that little gremlin kid voice.

she was good as muni in d4dj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUL99mUNpJU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

devs: this character is limited. this will only be available at these times. we are doing this to get money from you. making it unlimtied at a later time would mean less money and make people who spent to get them mad.

'im sure this will be unlimited eventually!!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my personal favorite example of that is a lot of challenge quests in fgo having ai that intentionally targets characters in the Caster class first, because all of the game's busted support characters are Casters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Internet discourse/discussion about mobile games and gacha games tends to be extremely low quality
Despite Genshin's popularity outside the typical "gacha gamer" crowd it hasn't really overcome this
if anything that popularity outside the typical crowd has made it worse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so does this game ever release a character *without* the playerbase losing its mind about balance issues

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone is usable. i dont understand this community's obsession with optimization, if you like a character does it really matter that it takes you 30-40 seconds longer to clear a daily?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sara feels so janky without c2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hopper posted:

I keep hearing people talk about cX for a character. The only way to get a constellations is the gacha right, except for traveller?
the starglitter exchange has monthly 4*s, tho ofc you also get starglitter from gacha, but at least the 4*s are guaranteed.

theres also a couple sources of free 4*s in the game outside of events, like the xiangling you get for the initial floors of abyss, so if you already have her thats a free c1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Will we get Link for the long-awaited Switch version, I wonder?
imo they should do link (anemo sword), zelda (cyro catalyst), and ganondorf (pyro greatsword)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but also i dont think nintendod be open to link being available on other platformers and i imagine they want parity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres also not really a weapon type for kratos, either classic or new. you could give him bow and have him use the axe as his burst the way like childe and shogun, i guess. of everything sony owns, aloy fits the most naturally, unless you want to bring back arc the lad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flair posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/pj3ob7/mihoyo_sued_bilibili_yesterday/

Oh this explains why many veteran leakers have shut down their discord, bilibili, and twitter, and new leakers have entered the scene.
To clarify, a lot of these bilibili guys aren't actually the leakers. They get the info second hand, misrepresent it, and then monetize the videos with clickbait thumbnails. And then people get mad when the content is 'different' from what these guys put out.

Of course, the crackdown on these guys has also sent other chinese leakers scurrying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

Did any of the leaks reveal which 4*s will be on the Kokomi banner? Xingqiu seems likely based on the last time he was rerun.

IIRC the leak said Xingqiu and Fischl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

right after i said i needed c2 sara i got two more copies of her in like 12 rolls, thank you god

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they were kind of idiots for putting leaked content up and slapping their watermark on everything but that site was insanely convenient. rip

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive been using raiden/sara/sucrose/bennett as my team and it works great. i bear the unique curse of actually liking bennett okay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

My beef is that whenever there's a demonstration of character power, he's usually involved for THE BIG NUMBERS. It's also kind of true for his companions in the national team, XQ and XL.
big numbers and also all three of them are easily accessible, so they form a good 'core team' to show off any new characters, since they go well with most anyone and everyone has them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I don't currently have any Archon quests available to me.
did you clear the liyue archon quests before this stuff launched? if so go to liyue harbor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I know Keqing and Mona go well together, but what're two good 4 star partners for them? The only 5 stars I have are them and Raiden. I've been using Keqing/Mona/Fischl/Kaeya and it works fine, but I have every four star except Sayu and Yanfei, so I was wondering if anyone else'd work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

You could put Diona in there and get some big numbers if you want to try to make Morgana work. With Morgana you apply cryo to an enemy, use Mona's burst, then apply more cryo. That keeps the enemy frozen so they keep taking extra damage from Mona's Omen effect. You would use Diona's E -> Mona Q -> Diona Q, then start beating on them with Keqing.

If you really want to get weird with it, throw Chongyun in there as well, and give Keqing a Blizzard Strayer set.

Xingui has great energy generation, he can help you use Mona's burst more often.

Bennet, Sucrose, and Beidou would all work fine.

Thanks! I have most of these leveled okay, so I'll experiment. Blizzard Strayer sounds like it'd be funny so I'll see how the numbers look.

Also, honey impact is gonna move to a different country's hosting to dodge the DMCA request, so it should stay up. Good news there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zwiebel posted:

I figured Honey Impact would just close down, their data and work would get absorbed by someone else and MiHoYo would keep fighting a futile fight against the internet, but I guess the people inovlved just migrated to a different host and are having a normal one instead:

Yikes.
Given how Honey Impact runs a lot of ads (at least it was kinda obnoxious accessing their site from a smartphone without adblock), they might just have reasons to keep it running as long as they can get away with it.
it's kind of childish but lol at people saying its racist to make fun of a english legal team for having bad english in the message they sent to you in english

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

honey impact’s poo poo site was intolerable on any browser I tried.

I didn’t realize till reading it just now that genshin fan pages are probably massive bank and that’s why they all suck compared to others.
tbf that bit's also very funny because the dev said they make five digits off the site so everyones mad at them for getting rich, but the punchline is theyre russian. go look up how much 10k rubles is worth, lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Siochain posted:

Just started playing last week, really enjoying the game. Enough freemium currency thrown at you to make it enticing.
I've done my 2 "beginner" 10-rolls, and I've used primagems and some dust to roll on the Raiden banner twice. Also hit AR 20 and got my free Aloy and Barbara.

I'm curious if I've got any decent comps to start rolling with - I know I'm still early game, but I'd rather invest in decent characters then terrible ones.

I've got:
Aloy, Amber, Beidou, Kaeya, Barbara, Kujou Sara, Ningguang, Lisa, Sucrose, Xingqiu and Noelle (and the Traveller of course).

I know Xiangling would be great, but I'm struggling to get enough stars in the Spiral Abyss to get to floor 2, let alone floor 3. Should I just keep punching through the story, or is there a decent comp I could build up to get through?
There's no real 'terrible' characters, even the worst characters in the game can function with enough investment and the right team.

That said, Xingqiu is an extremely good character that's meta even at the top end when you have a bunch of 5*s, so I'd definitely recommend investing in him. Something like Xingqiu/Amber/Kaeya/Barbara might work, tho you'd definitely wanna swap Amber out for Xiangling once you get her. The big thing to look out for in terms of f2p teams is the 'national' team of Xingqiu/Bennet/Xiangling/Flex Slot, which is an extremely flexible, viable team where basically anyone you like can be plugged into the fourth slot.

Since the third floor of abyss gives anemo characters a big boost, you might want to focus on them to get xiangling earlier. Anemo Traveler pairs well with Ninguang since her shield wall can stop the traveler's tornado ult in place, letting it do big damage to enemies it can't pick up.

That said, don't worry too much about abyss, it'll come naturally as you progress and level up, and the story doesn't get that hard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

What are some of the best Raiden teams? Mine is basically playable now, even though she isn't fully maxed out yet (she's fully ascended now, though not leveled to 90, and has 297% ER%).

I think I saw some people mention using her with Eula. Maybe she could take the place of Fischl in my Eula team?

edit: Speaking of ascending Raiden, I was pleasantly surprised at it being very easy to farm the fruit things she uses. Most of them are along a really straight-forward circular strip of land and each node gives 2 of them.

Eula/Raiden/Beidou/Diona is a solid team that isn't too whale-y. Raiden/Eula/Rosaria/Flex works too. If you have Kazuha, I've heard Raiden/Sara/Kazuha/Bennett works, though you probably want C2 Sara just ot make her easier to work with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also at lower levels id recommend just going for 4 piece artifact sets even if the stats aren't great. the elemental mastery from instructor is gonna be worth more than artifact stats when you're using low-level blues, so it doesn't really matter if it has defense on it, so on.

the only thing i woudl say is that some 3 star weapons are better than youd think and so be sure to not to junk them if you do eventually get a bunch of 4* weapons. Refine one to R5 then lock it. Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers is especially notable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

So in rolling for Raiden the game decided I need a C1 level 20 Mona. Figure I'll level her since the game insists on me having her. So... how do I Mona? Does she work with Raiden? Is there a Ganyu/Raiden/Mona team that works really well?
Mona's best aspect is how much damage you can do with her ult. The basic combo is Swirl Hydro -> Apply Pyro -> Ult with Mona -> Wait a second -> Apply Pyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNFszPcj7ZM

That said, she can also slot in well to a Freeze comp if you did want to use her with Ganyu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

I'm at AR55 and my Kazuha still uses a 4* hat (it's an EM hat).
If you get decent 4* artifacts that are in a relevant set with a rarer stat it may be worth holding onto them too, like crit rate, Elemental mastery, maybe elemental damage %.
yeah 4* is about where it might be worth holding onto them if the stats seem perfectly setup or niche enough to be a pain to grind a gold one for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some constellations are extremely good. Xingqiu's C1 just gives him an extra rain sword which, when he's starting with 3, is a massive increase. In terms of buying constellations, if you're making use of them frequently, most characters have a constellation 'breakpoint' where they become noticeably better, so it's worth looking at what you'd get from it. Benny's C1 is also nice since it makes it so you don't have to be above 70% health to get the attack boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Redmark posted:

As a new player, how important is it to spend your resin? It doesn't feel like the Leylines do much, but maybe Mora gets more important over time?

Also man, the gacha rates are unfavorable. Feels bad to roll and get a bunch of 3* weapons. Game's fun though, and I assume there are some players who don't engage much with the gacha and just check back in whenever new content drops.
you'll definitely get gated by mora at points, but also as your world level increases you'll get more rewards from that stuff, so don't spend resin restoratives yet.