Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is having two Pyro characters as big of an advantage as it seems? Klee is one I play a lot but I'm not too fond of having another Pyro (lower level one) just taking up a spot to get the resonance because +25% damage seems kinda nuts but this also kind of forces me to have a character that is there just for the resonance buff instead of another element for support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

John Lee posted:

The +25% damage is the same as all other forms of +% damage, calculated (additively) from your base damage (character stats+weapons), so it's not as big as it seems at all if you have decent artifacts with a +% attack. And of course, your +Atk feather artifact doesn't count as the base damage either, so it's not getting the boost.

It's still noticeable, mind you, but not actually nuts.

Hm, I thought that was the case but flat DMG does get quite a boost on my main DPS character (Fischl) as a result of the buff. I'm in the struggle phase of just having increased world lvl so I guess I stick with it until I feel like regular world mobs become less like damage sponges again.

Osmosisch posted:

It's not actually 25% more damage afaik, that attack bonus is additive with your other +atk effects so if you already have +100% it's only a 12.5% increase effectively.

I have a lot of +Atk from artifacts so I guess I brought it on myself. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

With the Stand By Me thing (1x free Liyue character), who's a good pick? I have everyone except for Xinyan and Beidou but I heard Beidou isn't all that great? I don't actively use any of the other characters either, though Ningguang and Xiangling's constellations are nearly full. Chongyun is the highest level one out of the ones I have but I didn't like having another Cryo in my party* with Ganyu and went with Noelle as a heavy hitter instead.

* Current party is Noelle, Barbara, Ganyu and Klee

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Glazius posted:

The only thing Beidou's not great at is breaking the revive pillars on a Geo hypostasis. Especially if you've got Klee setting grass fires left and right, you can wind up for a ridiculous counter electro swing that turbocharges your normal attack, and her ult randomly pops off electro, which goes great with catalyst users to make instant reactions.

You could probably sub her in for Noelle in your existing team comp. She'd need different artifacts and wouldn't be as sturdy as Noelle, but there are castles less sturdy than Noelle.

Then again, she's also on-banner soon, so.

Yeah, her trial was pretty fun, mostly because I like a counter mechanic and her's seems great. I'd have to consider her for a Noelle replacement, but where I'm at currently, Noelle's shield and group healing really come in handy. Also, Klee's charge attack isn't too bad against the Geo pillars, especially if you have one of her lasers going which eliminates the stam cost entirely.

Tsyni posted:

To answer your question first, I would take Xingqiu, especially if you have sacrificial sword for him. He's a fantastic support DPS for anyone.

What AR are you? I think it's important to use who you have the most fun using, as you must be doing, but the way I have always thought about it is having one main DPS, two support DPS, and one healer/damage mitigator. Childe changed this paradigm a bit, and having two main DPS in a party is maybe more of a thing now. Klee is basically the main DPS in your party, because she's not a very good support compared to many other chars. If you're using her as a support I'd sub in Xiangling or something and use Klee in your second team in abyss. What do you mean by heavy hitter for Noelle? Klee also breaks rock shields/ore with her bombs. If you just want someone to give you a shield with a bit of healing then that's fine, but Barbara should be enough to keep you healed well. Obviously Ganyu is Ganyu. Great main DPS and decent support.

I feel like there is a part near AR40 where having a decently optimized party matters for certain encounters (and especially for Abyss, that's a given), and then as you get to AR50 your guys are so OP (unless you're spread thin and have done nothing with artifacts) that you could just use a random mishmash.

edit: if you have C4 Klee then she's a much better support, but if you have C4 Klee then feel my envy.

Yeah, no, I've only ever pulled Klee once so C0 still. :( I just got AR50 today. I do use Klee as something of a support right now since I'm doing a lot of stuff on the mountain and she's the best fire character I have, though her damage isn't all that impressive (I haven't ascended her beyond lvl 70 yet though). But she's also the most reliable and consistent source of fire I have so she's also there to set up melts and stuff. Along with Ganyu, Noelle is the best DPS I have right now, she absolutely crushes everything.

I'll have to look into how Xingqiu would fit in, thanks!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Just to sell you, and anyone else reading this, on Xingqiu more, here is why I like him: He does a lot of off-field damage. His Q makes it so normal attacks trigger rain swords that come in waves of 3-2-3-2 (if you're C0-C5). Just doing a test against a ruin guard right now I was able to do 16 waves. Each sword does base ~1400 on mine(level 80/90, level 90 r1 sac sword), and crits for ~2500. Say you only managed 15 waves, that's still ~53,000 non-crit damage over the duration of his Q, and will end up being much more when crits are included. The downside is that it only triggers on normal attacks, so for Ganyu he's still semi-useful if you mix in a normal attack here and there and freeze guys. He really shines with Klee because he lets her proc vaporize on pretty much every hit. You very much need sacrificial sword to use him to his highest potential, because his E has such a long cooldown, you need to be able to drop 2 to generate energy for his Q.

His E gives damage mitigation and mine does 6000-11000, depending on crit. It will also heal him when a rain sword shatters, or at the end of the duration.

Based on how you use Klee he might not be the best pick. I don't have Ganyu so I don't know who are her best supports. I can see Xinyan maybe being not bad? I'm sure someone else can chime in.

Thanks for this. I'm on PS4 so I'm not sure which is Q and which is E but it's helpful nonetheless. I kind of skipped over Xingqiu because I got another character around the same time and still had Barbara for Hydro stuff and she's pretty much a must-have party member because of her healing, plus I usually prefer claymore and bow for DPS because of stagger/range, but Xingqiu's off-field support sounds pretty nice. With Ganyu I can see things getting pretty crazy since Barbara isn't exactly great at putting the wet status on enemies and Ganyu can freeze everyone every ten seconds so having a frequent AoE Wet would be great.

They really need to increase group size or make party switching easier. Quicker access to every element would go a long way in this game.

Fake edit: And here I was thinking I'd get an easy choice between Xinyan and Beidou but now I'm thinking about constellations for Xingqiu!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tsyni posted:

E is the elemental skill, Q is the elemental burst.

How do you like Ganyu with a controller?

Got it, thanks! I used to have Fischl as my main DPS so bow on a controller is no big deal, though being on PS4 there's a weird lag with controls that takes some time to adjust to which is a drag, but other than that it's no different to any other shooter on a controller. I heard 1.3 helps with that too which is nice.

I'm still waiting for my PS5 to get that sweet 60fps, but PS4 does fine most of the time though it's max 30fps and boy does the framerate tank in hectic battles.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've probably spent 40 wishes on the Keqing banner hoping to get either her, Qiqi or Mona and just got a 5 star weapon that I have no real use for. Before I got Ganyu I got Amber and Noelle. Sometimes the odds really are against you.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

Qiqi is neat. Good healer, can make finding violetgrass much easier, and can do some pretty respectable burst damage. I have her C1, and it's pretty nice! She's taken C6 Barbara's spot as main team healer (only partially because I maxed out Barbara's friend XP).

Mona has also been decent for damage, and surprisingly helpful in world traversal.

These were the reasons I was doing pulls for them. I get that it wasn't a specific banner, just the one where Keqing was the main focus. As for wasting wishes, eh, I haven't paid a dime to play this game so I figured I may as well go for the characters with the primogems etc. the game had given me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Clarste posted:

Just to be clear, Keqing was not the main focus of the banner in any way. Your odds of getting Keqing from it are about the same as they were from the Ganyu banner, and will be from the Xiao banner. Her picture on the banner is 100% decorative and means absolutely nothing.

Also your odds of getting any character at all on that banner are lower because it includes 5* weapons.

Yeah, I worded that poorly, by "focus" I meant that she was the actual focus of the banner graphic. I know it has a chance of giving you just about everything else too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

Has anyone seen chinese text appear when a new quest pops up even though your default language is set to English?

I get that occasionally where there's the English quest text on the side of the screen but it's covered by the same (I think) text in Chinese. I've only had it in Dragonspine so far though.

E: Early on I also had random voice lines in Japanese out of the blue mixed in with the English VO.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Kurious Kamera quest is pretty weird. I found out that taking pictures of (red, as it is today) enemies doesn't count so I hunted down red stuff like a chili, an apple etc. and then it claimed I'd taken a picture of a carrot already even though I hadn't. For the final five or so pictures I just took pictures of sunsettia every time I came across them and it somehow counted. So I guess you can take pictures of the same sort of thing just as long as it's not the same thing. The rewards (for the individual photos) seem random. I got all of them for today and like half of what I need for tomorrow.

Also drat, Barbara got depressed overnight, it seems. "Go. Barbara.. go."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Man, the real downside of playing this game F2P is resin. So frequently there comes a point where you can do gently caress-all without it. 120 per 16 hours is way too harsh.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

Even if you whale there is still gently caress all to do. The game runs out of content at AR 40, everything past that is just squeezing blood from a stone.

It really is, any step you can take at that point is an inch forward. I mean, I suppose I can't complain since I've played this game for dozens of hours and haven't spent a dime on it but restricting character level up like that is pretty harsh considering how many characters you get to have.

At this point it's just the four daily quests and a boss once or twice a day to get 2-4 ascension items out of the 24 I need.

The big joke behind all of it is that I would've happily paid a good one-time price to play this game if it didn't have all this crap holding it down. But I guess the whales are what really matter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I spent tons of pulls on getting Jean but never did. I'd kill for a reliable DPS with healing, plus I only have 1 anemo character (Sucrose) besides the MC (because having him be Geo is way more useful). Those of you with Jean, consider yourselves lucky.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tae posted:

Bennett

Bennett is fire, yeah? I almost had him from the shop but was one [currency] short before they took him off it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Yeah he's fire, and his healing - although it only goes to 70% - is insane and renders you functionally immortal to anything but oneshots whilever you're inside the seal of approval

e: and it's not even remotely hard to build him so that it has pretty much permanent uptime either

I heard he was good but completely missed out on him. Wouldn't mind having him as a replacement for Barbara as healer and Noelle as my main melee DPS plus the buff for two fire characters with Klee would be nice too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Framboise posted:

You'll never "miss out" on a 4* since they're going to always be in the Wanderlust banner, and everyone has been on a character banner at least twice now I think. Bennett'll be back eventually, no worries.

I meant I missed out on him on the store since I rarely get to roll for characters, but yeah, hoping for it one day!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can keep your distance and zoom in with the kamera, it's pretty generous.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wonder what the reasoning behind mobs giving like 14xp per kill was. Kinda nuts that it doesn't change with enemy/world level. Even for a gacha game completely meaningless kill xp seems like an oversight.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

People who have been playing from the start, even f2p, will by this point have all or almost all of the 4* characters and a couple of 5* characters. And even a party consisting entirely of 4* characters can be very strong.

Yeah I haven't spent a dime on this game and I have two 5* from wishes and a bunch of 4* characters. Overall the game is surprisingly generous in that regard, but that generosity is rendered utterly irrelevant by its very gacha nature. The funny thing is that since I haven't spent any money on it, I figured since I'd spent countless hours and had a lot of fun with it, I'd put in a few coins to get some goodies but the mtx in this game is almost offensively bad. 5 euros for 60 primogems? Really? There are countless F2P games that are far worse that have better mtx in them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

padijun posted:

this is to make the welkin/BP look like a deal

Is it, though? Honestly I haven't looked into it beyond what's available on the PSN store so I don't see how much putting actual money into this game gives you a better chance at characters/weapons. Like how much do I really get if I throw 21 euros into this thing?

Disclaimer: I never would put money into this game, I'm just curious.

E: Like, if I paid a tenner for a 1000 primos and like 10 condensed resin, then we're talking.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tae posted:

I wouldn't ask period and just ignore it if you're never going to pay. Quench all curiosity.

Oh, rest assured, I'll never throw money at random chance, I'm just kind of baffled at how badly it's done in this game.

No Wave posted:

You would spend 5 euros every month for four months. Every day you log in you'd get 90 extra primogems, and if you logged in every day it would add up to about 60 extra rolls over those four months. This is by far the best value in the game. If you miss a log in you get nothing for that day though.

Just straight up buying rolls would get you 15 rolls now and that's it (bad deal).

No kidding it's a bad deal. I always come back to the fact that if they'd made wishes somewhat more lenient and thrown a 30 euro price tag on the game, I'd happily paid it. But like I said before, it's all about them whales with these games.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've gone F2P all the way since around early October and I only have Klee C1, Ganyu C0, and two 5* weapons (sword and claymore) so far. The thing is that the game doesn't make me feel like I could've done any better if I'd dumped money into it to the point where I'm surprised I even got those characters. So it's either that they're really generous to the F2P folks or haven't thought their mtx through at all. I'm leaning towards the latter.

E: They could've at least enticed me to pay actual money for characters and weapons but they just.. haven't.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

I assure you, their MTX is very well thought out. They made $400 million in two months last year.

Well but that must be from whales for the most part. Any game like this will have them. It's their seeming unwillingness to reach out to more reasonable people that surprises me.

Lechtansi posted:

You aren't paying for power in this game, you are paying for waifus.

Tae posted:

You're not the target audience, that's why you're unaffected.

Seems so. I guess playing a game because it's fun instead of paying to make it more fun isn't something that appeals to a poor like me. :haw: If I miss out on a character that seems fun to play or powerful it's at most a shrug and an "oh well" for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Radical posted:

the battle pass and the welkin blessing *are* how they reach out to the more casual players. they don't make the smaller purchases great for small time spenders because they're targeted 100% at exploiting whales as much as possible.

Yeah, I figured as much. But their reaching out to people like me is loving weak as hell though, because I'd be willing to pay if the deal wasn't completely and ludicrously unfair. I've gotten my 60 euros out of this game already but they don't want it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

5 bucks a month means that if you do the dailies you get one pull a day. That means a guaranteed character 5* every 3 months at worst or usually every 2 months when you take into account free primos. In contrast not spending those 5 bucks doubles the amount of time you have to grind to get a guaranteed 5*.

Mind you the game is still relatively young in release and they haven't even begun doing whats normal for every other gachas. Which are guaranteed premium pulls, limited discounted currency packages, selector tickets, etc.

I hope it doesn't get scummier, because they could realize they have a hit on their hands and do better with all of the monetization but I doubt they will. Like I said, so far it's been surprisingly light on that stuff to the point where someone like me can only wonder why have mtx in it at all.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

I think its the opposite - they are at their max scummy right now because their whales are still fresh. Once the whales start to burn out they will entice the F2P players to spend by making the deals better.

You can already see that because they added fragile resin to the battlepass. In the past they wanted whales to spend their primos on resin, but that time has passed so now they are handing it out cheaper.

That is a very good point, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm well aware that I'll probably never get everything this game has to offer without spending a dime on it but I hope what you said continues to evolve. It's really their game to ruin at this point since they can only do better.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

This is legit annoying and happens way too often near water.

You can do a plunge attack and try to get them but it's tricky and annoying. I think Jean has some gimmick to help you loot underwater items more easily but I don't have her so I can't confirm that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Karia posted:

Similarly, you can pull 4* weapons on the character banner but no 5*.

The F2P lament.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Today's photos are of "blue items" and there are like eight of them right outside Mondstadt's city gate (dandelions and mint) and the first daily in Liyue took me right to three mints. :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had completely forgotten to get the last two Liuye keys from Guizang Formula because like a month back I was way underleveled and two ruin guardians and a ruin hunter wrecked my poo poo but I managed it now fairly comfortably. I decided to try the second one for the second key, expecting it to be the same but harder and it's just.. some light platforming and weak-rear end treasure hunters. Almost a let down but eh, nice and chill after the hectic fight prior to that.

All shrines done! :toot:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Purple for me, I have 2 of everything else right now and got two rewards day 1 and 3 (today), and one on day 2. So far I haven't seen a specific bias with it, seems completely random to me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Crimson and ultramarine are the ones I've gotten the most :haw:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Noelle is pretty bonkers with the new geo resonance buff and if you put her in a group with Zhongli and Diona (if you have them) you can rotate shields on her. Stack her with 4x +DEF artifacts and she's indestructible and does absolutely silly damage with the geo resonance, especially at C6. Just pop her skill and burst, do her charge attack and she's like a blender made of titanium.

E: You can get free shields for Noelle with Ningguang too if you get one of those little elemental shields from Ning's attacks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

When is the deadline for having 3x condensed resin and full original resin for the double leyline rewards? I'm wondering when I should start stocking up.

E: Also, is it worth throwing fragile resin at?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

Double leyline rewards will be limited to three non-condensed runs per day, so no need to save anything.

Oh. Well, I'm both relieved and disappointed. Makes sense there would be a catch. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got Beidou going for Xiao after like 20 F2P pulls. Her counter ability seemed really good in the trial but how much do I have to invest in her to have it be viable? Keeping in mind that I could give her a C1 with the freebie stuff later this month, though I'm also tempted to get Xinyan since she's the only character from the freebies I don't have.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

Beidou is mostly valuable for her Q. It's really good and can be thought of like electro Xingqiu. Her E is flashy but hard to get perfect usage out of and actually impossible to completely build around, take parries when you can get them but it won't carry your team.

Unfortunately electro reactions that aren't electro-charged are awkward - overload is good against big units but nobody can apply fire fast enough to make her Q take off (maybe Hu Tao will, actually maybe Klee can idk I've never heard of Klee+beidou for some reason). She sees the most success in Tartaglia Electro-charged comps and DPS sucrose comps. But in general it's best to consider Q the core of what she's good for and E is a bonus/way to charge her Q.

I'm still torn between building Archaic, Rainslasher, or Sacrificial for her. Sacrificial is nice for energy gen, Archaic is guaranteed to be solid, rainslasher is green.

I was thinking about having Beidou in maybe a secondary abyss team to counter some big hits every once in a while. I'd think she'd pair really nicely with Klee since Fischl's elemental skill and burst paired with Klee's bombs and attack do absurd damage already. I was just thinking if Beidou without constellations was really worth a drat. I have Rainslasher for her too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Lvl 80/90 C4 Beidou is my main dps, with a lvl 90 wolf's gravestone and 4pc gladiator. Talents at 9/7+3/6. If you are consistently getting attacked and can fully charge Tidecaller then she is incredible. If you don't get hit her damage falls a little shy of say Razor.

Like in the fire domain with 2x Mitachurl 2x Fatui Agent, if the big axe idiot remembers to hit me, I kill mine before my wife's razor does 50% to hers. If he just staggers and wipes a slime in his axe we finish pretty close. I've got a bit of an edge due to 5-star weapon but still.

Beidou can work as main dps just because her numbers are pretty good and Tidecaller can do a LOT of heavy lifting (13k hits every 7 seconds is pretty okay if you are getting hit!). She also works as an electro booster like Fischl if you swap for counters and use her burst to get the extra electro hits on your autos. Her constellations barely matter (+3 Tidecaller is the best one, really) so C0 is totally usable.

Most importantly, her block and counter play style is incredibly fun. It never stops being satisfying to saunter into a pack of enemies and one shot them all with a 28k Tidecaller crit.

Cool, thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking, I had a feeling she'd be useful in some way, I really like the counter ability and honestly wish more characters had that going because dodging gets old. I'll be sure to boost her up when I can and don't have to focus on my main team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Artifact leveling is possibly the dumbest design choice in this game full of some pretty dumb design choices.