Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I'm also a new player as of a week ago. I haven't been too overwhelmed by anything but I did read the OP, so when I got to Dragonspine and saw the lvl 30 guy I just turned around. It's not a great feeling because you're definitely feeling the urge to explore there.

I just wanna say that getting Sucrose from my free pulls helped a lot. She's amazing in all the situations I had where only one character's element was useful and being able to use ranged swirl interactions was a godsend.

Only problem so far is I don't have an archer to replace Amber and I hate pulling her out for every puzzle I run across. Xiangling also ain't great for the fire puzzles because sometimes the bear just points away randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is there any kind of multiplayer scaling on bosses? I tried my first coop boss today with Tartaglia and it didn't go so well. I was the highest levelled out of the group and it felt like I took an absurd amount of damage from every attack. The host decided to give up after our third attempt, but we did get pretty far. After that I did the thing solo and beat it without a sweat.

I understand that when you're solo there's only one character on the field meaning only one person is taking damage from a misplay at a time instead of all four, it's easier to see attacks to dodge them, and there's no lag. But it feels like my usual understanding of coop meaning the game gets easier is way out of whack here. Should I just level Noelle to 80 for coop boss fights or something?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I'm out of every resource so I could use the 4 mystic crystals from Okuden, but my roster isn't deep or levelled enough to do it. At least I get 6 from the second challenge I suppose.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
How do you tell what the elements are for that week? Other than just picking something and going in.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

The Lone Badger posted:

Broke: Beat the game without spending money
Woke: Beat the game without ever making a Wish

I think if you got the event reward characters it's possible to get two teams for the abyss. I bet someone's done this.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That's pretty impressive, but yeah I wasn't counting Noelle since you technically have to wish for her. I didn't even consider having smaller teams.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Siochain posted:

I've got:
Aloy, Amber, Beidou, Kaeya, Barbara, Kujou Sara, Ningguang, Lisa, Sucrose, Xingqiu and Noelle (and the Traveller of course).

I think Kaeya, Beidou, Xingqui and then Sucrose/Ningguang would be pretty good. Kaeya would be your main attacker after you proc superconduct (which lowers phys resistance) with cryo + electro, along with freezing enemies with cryo + hydro.

I found Sucrose really useful at low levels because anemo swirls are kind of a general reaction (against non-anemo enemies and slimes at least) and she's ranged. So anytime I ran into a fight where my cryo team wouldn't work Sucrose would swirl with a non-cryo element. Ningguang would also serve this exact same idea, just with the extra bonus of creating geo shields instead of aoe reactions.

I have no idea about Aloy, but if you try her out and like her you could use her instead of Kaeya.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
imo, Xingqiu and Bennett are the two characters you want to pick up from the shop if you don't have them yet. You could go months without them otherwise. Xingqiu will likely be on a banner soon though.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I use Sayu for open world. She mines, rolls, applies VV, and heals. Using food with NRE isn't terrible though.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I'm AR52, and I had never run the Mondstadt talent domain so I decided to try it out. Surprisingly, it IS bad! I ran it with Yoimiya, Raiden, and Xiangling which did just fine. The icicles and stamina penalty are just absurd though. The icicles don't even have any kind of stacking prevention so they just rain 5 icicles in a row to stunlock you unless you sprint like hell away.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I do have Xinyan and Diona, I just brought Sayu because I didn't know what to expect and she's my go to. Even with Yoimiya I was at zero stamina just from dodging so I can't imagine trying that place with charge attack characters.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is that...Vortex Vanquisher?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Both the charms and chests are on the interactive map, so I just hid the markers one by one on the map as I collected them.

Also there's a new a cat shrine quest!

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

If I haven’t done any story quests after getting to Liyue, how long should it take me to get caught up? I’ve got to go find the Adepti in Jueyun Karst right now.

If you mean caught up with the main story quests of 2.1, quite a ways. You still have a large chunk of Liyue to finish, post 1.0 quests dealing with Liyue and leading to Inazuma, and then the Inazuma 2.0 quests themselves. Maybe 20-30 hours if you never strayed off the archon quests? I'm not certain.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I clicked on everyone's, here's mine: https://webstatic-sea.mihoyo.com/ys...een#/GBCV4UFGUN

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I was sleeping at the time and didn't pick up, but Mihiyo actually called me twice from Shanghai to talk about my feedback, if you can believe it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I wasn't gonna pull on this banner and save up, but my Xingqiu and Beidou are at C1, and Beidou C2 is calling me...

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That Yahoo article uses this as a source: https://www.scmp.com/tech/policy/article/3150622/new-game-approvals-dry-china-internal-memo-shows-developers-now-have

quote:

Last Thursday, 213 video gaming companies signed a self-regulation pact, committing them to banning the kind of content frowned on by Chinese authorities.

It's important to note that it's just a memo at the conclusion of a censor training seminar, gaming companies will "self-regulate", and primarily concerns approval of newly released games. Censors still have leeway on what they choose to enforce, and games like Genshin Impact will (likely) be barely affected since they have already been approved and popular/profitable otherwise.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
You can build garden plots in your teapot housing, if you have the teapot unlocked. It provides a low quantity every few days.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Checked my wish history since I was curious how long it would take to get R5 of a 3* back. It actually could take awhile, maybe 50 if you're lucky but more probably 100-150. If you just need one copy it's likely only 10 or 20 away.

Obviously never throw away your White Tassels unless you just want the world to burn.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Hexel posted:

A question on fishing nodes: sometimes i notice a dynamic spawn as i am actively fishing a node. So if i only need pufferfish, is it ok to just cherrypick the pufferfish from all the nodes where they are spawned at?

Or: should i fish out completely every node where they are possible in order to encourage them to spawn more?

It seems like day or night will have a certain amount spawned, so once the fish you're looking for stop spawning you should move time forward and fish until they stop again. From my limited testing it didn't seem like clearing out all the fish provided any benefit.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I've been out of mora, books, and ores for like a month now just raising everything I have. That'll probably stay the same for awhile since I do want Thoma and the three Geo boys.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Hamayumi does require a week straight of shell collecting in Inazuma though.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Is the existence of Bennett why comparisons are made between healers and damage supports? Comparing Sayu to Kazuha or Kokomi to Mona just doesn't make sense to me. Bennett, for his multirole capability, is probably going to be an outlier for the rest of the game. When you elect to bring a healer, you are, or should be, making a conscious opportunity cost choice.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Yeah, she does require the same amount of resources that every other character does. Constellations are pretty iffy on balance across the board, but without them no one will likely take Aloy seriously except as another option for a new player.

It's doubtful she'd ever get them as an update because that'd necessitate a re-run, and all videogame collaboration deals have dubious long term considerations. It also probably means any crossover characters in the future will lack constellations, and therefore limit their power ceiling.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I absolutely wish this game had long form dungeons. Possibly even in a random domain roulette that you could matchmake and coop with others...

But I do understand why they're slim with the content release schedule being as frequent as it is.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Huh, weird. The NPC that leads you to Tsurumi Island directly references Kino no Tabi. That's kinda cute.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Endorph posted:

ive yet to level ninguang but ive never understood her normal attack string at all, it feels like literally nothing is happening

There's some combination of FX, SFX, and vague animation going on that makes her unsatisfying to play to me. I'm gonna wait for the new geo characters to level her and try her out again.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Plus there's Gorou and maybe Albedo too. The time for Geo is now. Well, in 40 days.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Endorph posted:

every day i regret missing the free diona event. when will she be rateup on a banner again... im trying to make a yanfei team that doesnt use any of the national kids since theyre tied up in raiden national

She was on Yoimiya's, so maybe 2.3.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Finally beat 12-3 of the abyss with 2/9 stars. I'm disappointed it's not higher but now at least I have a better idea of what's going on. The last two phases I stopped at 11-3 having problems with the cicin/fatui agent floor. I wasn't really understanding the fire dot field that seems to surround the agent, it affects things even outside the circle, and sometimes it only affected one character or all of mine? It's annoying as hell that I can't mouseover the effect or look at a status page to get a grasp of what's going on. In any case, I decided to brute force it this time by giving my highest damage burst character as many buffs as I'm able while stacking the fatui with a sucrose burst. I think this is how most high end players are dealing with all of this, by just blowing everything away before it has a chance to matter.

Here's my setup and roster:

Ayaka is my best built character but I decided to try the overvape combo this time, instead of some kind of permafreeze team. The overvape team had enormous DPS but abysmal burst uptime, obviously. They're also not great at Kenki without a second target for beidou's arcs. Originally the teams were swapped floors but on the overvape side I couldn't get the Maiden/Ice cicin together in one spot so it was taking forever to kill them. Also the two ruin guards would be WAY easier with permafreeze. I was just rolling away on Sayu when the guards started spinning, which wasted lots of time.

The raiden carry team was really enjoyable to play - after finishing a raiden burst I had just enough time to switch to other characters to use their bursts before switching back to raiden and continuing.

Still waiting for Bennett.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
https://spiralabyss.org/

Use that, pick a floor, and click on any character you don't have to disable them. Comps will get weird if you're missing a lot of the meta characters. If your characters are also underbuilt in talents/artifacts/weapons things will get dicey.

Bennett, Zhongli, and Xingqiu are the most used. Meta teams are variants of National, Vape, Permafreeze, and maybe Monopyro?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Another thing I'll say is that prioritizing shields and grouping is important to clearing certain floors. For bosses you can actually run whatever DPS comp you like, but the abyss has a ton of repeatedly spawning waves. Characters that mush all these guys together so you can drop a bunch of bursts on them are extremely valuable to speed up your clear times, otherwise you'll be running all over trying to kill them one by one.

For abyss mages and heralds, don't assume you can just use whatever half-effective element to break them like you can in the overworld. If you see a pyro abyss mage bring Xingqiu and if you see a Torrent Herald bring your fastest cryo applying character, no matter what.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The circle around the agent doesn't damage you directly. Every X seconds it ticks and applies a "smouldering flames" debuff to any on-field characters in the circle, and then they'll take damage over time until the debuff wears off (20s duration) or you manually cleanse the pyro status off of your characters with something like Jean's burst.
This is also how the Slowing Water (cd increase) Engulfing Storm (energy drain over time), and Condensed Ice (stamina drain) auras work. You can find enemies with each of those auras in some domain or other.

That's good to know, thank you. I think that makes me value cleanse a lot more than I was before.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

gandlethorpe posted:

There's actually a theory that Traveler is a sort of shapeshifter and is all the playable characters. Obviously a wild theory, but this channel does good research and the narrator has pretty good presentation. If you ever want to kill ~20 minutes, I highly recommend watching a video.

I haven't watched this video, but this has been my headcanon since the moment I walked up to a Mondstadt character while already playing that Mondstadt character in the first hour of the game. The traveler always appears as themselves to the people of Teyvat, but can use the abilities of people they meet. This is why you can only play one character at once.

But I also don't spend much time thinking about it.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Geo absolutely needs a character like Gorou. I'm honestly disappointed Sara isn't more like him, just for electro.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
R5 Rust. I think it's better than every 5 star other than Thundering Pulse?

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I think I remember seeing someone riding Albedo's elevator up to shoot down on mobs with an archer. So safety is another use, unless it's actually a bad idea for another reason.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I think on some level the domains need to be played in order to justify continuing to upgrade your teams. Getting faster clear times is something of a reward, and if that gets taken away then only Abyss is left as that type of goal. It's why I actually like the new event so much, because it's another opportunity to throw my best teams at something. If it was permanent content and more randomized it'd be even better. When Genshin has a more robust endgame, I would certainly be ambivalent about domains becoming skippable.

At some point in the future I can see myself getting bored of the game once I have multiple teams at a comfortable point where any increase in power would take large amounts of grinding, and no future banner characters are interesting to me. That's the point when I'd consider building a new character a "wall", because then I'm sort of building a character just so I have a reason to play the game, instead of for team building. I only started at the release of Inazuma, but I imagine for long time players they have to do achievement hunting or something similar to maintain interest in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

QuantaStarFire posted:

(A* is the current Ascension of each character)

My general experience is that open-world content is mostly not an issue; it depends on the enemies, though it's different for bosses, and sometimes domains that scale with WL like the exploration domains or the event dungeon. XL and Beidou are both 6/6/6 on their talents, Fischl is 4/5/4, Kokomi is 2/6/5, and then from there it varies wildly between 1 and 3 talent levels per character until Aloy where everyone after is 1/1/1.

Plenty of good advice has been given already, but I'll chime in and say you're not in a terrible spot here. At AR45, you can spend all your (hopefully) saved up fragile resins and matchmake artifact domains. You have Kokomi, and you can heal everyone else while they carry you. You don't even need to invest anything to improve her just for that. Grouping up with people in Discord works too. Get recommended sets for characters like Xiangling and Beidou, and if you get lucky you might get good pieces within those sets. If not, more artifact fodder. If you're low on artifact fodder, doing daily overworld artifact runs will help. Mora will also be an issue if you're low on that, but you shouldn't need to grind too much.

Beidou is great with Fischl as a battery for her, adding Kokomi and another DPS like Rosaria/Chongyun will fill out a great team. This is a good baseline team, but won't work on every boss or domain.

The only issue here is Xiangling is your only built pyro DPS, she doesn't have a good burst weapon, and she has no battery. You're not really capable of doing the F2P national team here without Sucrose or Bennett. To patch up your pyro weakness for Cryo bosses and Cryo abyss mages you could build Yanfei. She's easy to use and has constant pyro application without relying on her burst. But that's just spreading more resources thinly which isn't advisable. Plus once you get Bennett and build Xiangling properly you are very rarely going to use Yanfei unless you like her. It's an option. Yanfei also works better in an overload comp with Beidou/Fischl than Xiangling does.