Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Pulled once last night, got Zhongli and Xinyan. My first 5 star, woo!

Currently my team is traveler/c2 fischl/c2 barbara/c1 amber. I've also got Kaeya, Lisa, Ningguang, Xiangling, and Xingqui. With all those characters, what are some good team setups? I'm pretty much winging it so far. (Assume I'm a long way from getting everybody 5 star equipment, or even improving four star gear for them).

Also, is there any way to advance constellations other than dupes in wishing? I'm operating off the assumption I'll never draw dupe 5 star characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Grateful to hear the talk about weapon rarity a few pages ago. I've had some insane luck and was coming away with the wrong impression about how infrequently they get dropped. 5 boss kills down, 2 catalysts and a polearm prototype.

I'm using xianling for dps, zhongli for shielding/burst, barbara for heals, and I have a level 1 Ningguang I'm considering investing in. What should I do weapon-wise with those options and the BP weapon I have yet to choose? Wait for the 1.2 info?
(I'm mostly using a team of anemo traveler/fischl/barbara/zhongli, sometimes xiangling/amber/barb/zhongli, and I have access to razor, xanyan, xingqui, and the freebies. I've gotten like 4 new characters in the last month and I'm not sure what to do with them).

Also I just hit AR 30. Once my character and weapon levels are up to snuff and I can farm the artifact domains for 4 stars, what should I be focusing on?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Ashenai posted:

Don't farm the artifact domains for 4*s, it's a total waste of resin. It's best to leave those domains well alone until AR 45 (which is when you start getting guaranteed 5*s).

You will eventually want to have two teams (8 fully capable characters), so if you're happy with your main team, start working on your secondary! Doing leylines is also never a waste of resin, you will very much run out of both mora and XP books (this might not be apparent at AR 30, but trust me).

Thank you!

And yes the XP crunch is real for me already.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Did 3 10 rolls, got bennett and his c1. Not bad, but was hoping to get sucrose too. Ah well!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Gotta say I like the new display after killing a boss.

At ar34, I got my first 2 5 star artifacts, one each from wolf and dragon. They are chock full of hp and defense, but hey, longest journey, single step.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

Fischl benefits huge from leveling because Electro-charged and overload scale their damage off of level. Most of my characters are at 70 ascended anyways just because I'm resource constrained, but levels are not a waste. I'm much more interested in getting her closer to level 80 than I am in getting my normal attackers above 80.

Cryo's reactions don't benefit much from leveling so those can stay low.
Details like this are cool to find out but make me nervous about who to invest in and how.

My current team is fischl, xiangling, and Barbara, with traveler or zhongli depending on the circumstances. I've also recently gotten razor, ning, xinyan, Mona, bennet. Are there good team comps I'm sleeping on?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for the tips all!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you have Chong? His E creates an ice field that freezes everyone in it, so pairing him with Fisch and Oz gives you Superconduct which lowers defense considerably. Only issue is that anyone of your team in your field using polearm. Sword or claymore changes damage to cyro, so only works if your DPS is bow or catalyst. Fisch at C1 becomes a feasible DPS though.

Fisch has been my DPS for most of the game with my team basically being the three you’ve been using as your main with Chong.

Sadly, my only ice is kaeya and my only wind is traveler. Whereas I could run a full team of 4 pyro or geo. Really hoping to nap sucrose this banner for a little elemental diversity, which is probably why I've pulled bennet 3 times.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Did a 10-pull last night and got my c3 Bennett, c3 Fischl, and Albedo! I had been assuming I would not get him so I haven't really paid attention to him at all, going to have to study up now. Hilariously, I have now gotten every geo character, and pulled Bennett four times this banner, but have yet to draw Sucrose or any other Anemo user.

In other news I recently hit world level 4 and Pyro Regisvine is suddenly kicking my rear end out of nowhere, which is making it a little hard to ascend and level Xiangling and Bennett to 70 like I originally planned. I might have to detour over to farming the geo or electro cubes for Razor, Zhongli, and Albedo.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Saxophone posted:

If you haven't yet, level up barbara enough to not get one shot and then bring her and laugh as she absolutely MELTS the initial shield. After that a bow user is nice to do a couple aimed shots on the flower while it's raging which will bring it back down for more hits. You may know this already, but if not, yeah!

Yeah, Barbara was wrecking it for all my boss kills before levelling the world. I think I need to rotate Zhongli in and out for shields and bring a few potions for +hydro damage and +pyro resistance, because she is absolutely getting 1-shot by certain attacks. I think I might have enough oceanid drops to ascend her one more time once I get the other needed items too, which would probably make the difference. (But if not I'm likely SOL until I get Razor up to 60/70, because if Pyro Regisvine gives me grief, Oceanid will be so much worse).

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Wait, is Barbara your main source of DPS or is she just bringing the shields down? Because you should absolutely be using someone else for DPS unless you've specifically built her for it.

Oh just shields, I was typically hopping over to anemo traveler once it fell down. Which, not ideal, but my dps is all pyro right now. Another good reason to invest in Razor soon.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Well, I managed to catch up with WL4 difficulty, with WL5 just 2 AR away. Generally speaking, what gives the most bang for my buck in terms of investing in characters? Leveling up the carry, the supports, their weapons, their talents? What should I be prioritizing, since by the time I get a team of four - or heck, just 1 or 2 - fully powered up, I'll be in WL5. Also, what's a good target for my artifact level? I enhanced everything on my carry to level 8 and I really felt the improvement right away. (To clarify - my whole team is 60 or 50 out of 70, their weapons are level 50 or 40, they all have 2-3 levels on their talents... so I haven't neglected anything, just looking to see what is best to fully max out first).

Also - I'm actively using both fischl and xiangling, and I only have enough for one of their constellations from the shop. What's better, Fischl c4 or Xiangling c3?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Thanks for the advice all!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Highly satisfying weekend for genshin over here. I beat the childe trounce domain for the first time, finished the event, and reached the top of dragonspine.

Now to get back to story quests and tracking down agates.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

This is what I did when I fresh and learning the elemental reaction system! Pop Oz, activate Barbara's skill, and then hug the enemy while spamming attacks. Enemy hp melted away, relative to before.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Using bennett as a carry, do I want to be tapping or using charged attacks when possible? He's c4 now.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Always tap. The DPS from tapping is way higher because it hits much faster than the charged attacks, you can't get interrupted and in his Burst, the cooldown is 2 seconds.

Also, due to that cooldown, you can chain your Bursts with about 180% ER, which keeps your attack boost going.

Thanks! I had actually forgotten the skill could charge, and his c4 buffs that charge ability, so I thought it might be a game-changer. Will blissfully ignore.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Nowhere near pity, so I did one last 10-pull on the albedo banner hoping for Sucrose. And I got... a sixth Bennett. Happy to be at C5 on my carry at least.

Albedo banner got me 6 Bennetts, 1 Fischl, 1 Albedo in total.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

zgrowler2 posted:

As someone who will never play through honkai but is big on the plot details I appreciate the lore dumps, big ups to you fellow goon

Me too. Is there a good wiki or youtube channel to fill in the actual details of honkai? Zero desire to play it buy it sounds like it gives good context for stuff in this game.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Got the cocogoat! I somehow pulled Zhongli, Albedo, and Ganyu without an off-banner 5 star. But now my well of primos has run dry and I expect to miss the next 1-2 banner characters.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Did they ever fix Zhongli's story quest not having paimon voice acting? That was going to be fixed eventually right?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Tsyni posted:

for Support DPS Xiangling it's bis as well

Ooooo that's good news for me, the support Xiangling runner. I just pulled a skyward spine with my monthly acquaint fates. My first 5 star weapon, and my first time to beat the pity in a major way. I got Mona on that banner Christmas Eve and have probably only 10-pulled once or twice since then.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Archonex posted:

Edit: Okay, took a closer look at them and they both literally have the same ornamentation. The symbol on his shirt is a more detailed version of Paimon's hair ornament. Both of which are very similar to the primogem symbol. Which is linked to the moon (Which in the other impact games is heavily linked to Honkai, and Dainsleif has a raging Honkai infection on one arm.), destiny, and something about dead universes.

Guessing that if we ever get a chrono/destiny/quantum/whatever it is element that will be the symbol it has.

That symbol also looks a lot like what appears when the unknown goddess appears in during the opening cutscene of the game, and decorates the sides of her cube attacks.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I missed a few days due to storm-based power outages (which happened the day after I bought a new welkin pass, naturally). How long do I have to complete the quests and tower defense content? I see the store closes in like 15 days but the events usually close a few days beforehand, so I just want to make sure I know the real deadline.

I just finished the first 9 quests and unlocked the second phase of tower defense.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

The very idea of pulling on a weapon banner is weird to me because the only thing you could possibly get from it is power, and not a cool new character or a cool new ability for a character that would change how you play them. I mean, I guess they could have interesting passive effects maybe, but basically I have had roughly 0 desire to ever pull on a weapon banner.

Same, but I think the value of the weapon banner will feel better as we get closer to having all 4 star characters and then get more and more c6s. The albedo banner got me from nothing to c5 bennett and the ganyu banner took me to c4 or so with all that banner's 4stars. At this rate, unless they shake up the characteracter banner, the weapon banner will be a better value for me in a year or so.

Incidentally, finished the lantern rite today and finally got chongyun. Now sucrose is the only 4 star I need.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I spent a little while on the treadmill of clearing bosses and dungeons to power up my characters and oh no the world level increased let's clear bosses and dungeons to power up my characters and oh dear it happened again for a few weeks and realized it wasn't as fun as it was consuming.

Now I'm restricting myself to events and character quests and the game is a lot more enjoyable again. I'm not even doing dailies for primos anymore. Maybe in a few months I'll max out a battle pass and do dailies, bosses, and domains, but it can't be a regular thing for me.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

So to complete the last two lantern rite tasks, first I have to finish Chi of Guyun, and.... Seriously, I have to kill three ruin guard at once while protecting a fragile target?

If I can just keep them focused on me I could probably do it but I keep losing aggro on at least one of them. Tips?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They're in water, so if you can freeze them. I cam back when I was much more powerful at WL7 and if you can freeze them/ are good enough to hit their crit points with an archer, it's rough, but not that bad.

Better option. Pop on discord #lfg and ask for help. If people are available, they usually have characters well suited to the quest. And since it's not in a domain, you can have duplicate characters.

Also, 108 primos on the NA server.

Thanks, will give it a shot!

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They're in water, so if you can freeze them. I cam back when I was much more powerful at WL7 and if you can freeze them/ are good enough to hit their crit points with an archer, it's rough, but not that bad.

Better option. Pop on discord #lfg and ask for help. If people are available, they usually have characters well suited to the quest. And since it's not in a domain, you can have duplicate characters.

Also, 108 primos on the NA server.

Freeze worked, I was able to cluster all 3 up (right on top of the object I was protecting for maximum stress) and I cycled bursts from ganyu, zhongli, and benny. Had no idea wtf was happening after that for a little while and then they all fell over.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Well my luck finally ran out. After zhongli, albedo, and ganyu, I finally got an off banner 5 star.

C1 mona.

To add insult to injury mona is the only standard banner 5 star I've gotten so far. It was such an unlikely thing to happen.

Also got c6 xingqui and xiangling... And then some, like c7 each. No chongyun, I have yet to pull him, good thing I selected him during the lantern rite.

And with an off banner sucrose I now have every 4 star (and a non traveler anemo!). A very very mixed bag.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I want both Venti and Jean.

So far I've gotten every 5 star I've rolled for except Klee.

My luck can't hold out for much longer, can it? :(

At least when your luck runs out you know the next 5star is guaranteed what you want.

And hopefully you get a new character and not a dupe of the only standard banner character you already have why YES I'm still bitter about that mona c1 why do you ask?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I got not one but two talent materials off Child last night. Didn't know that was even possible! Is it possible for all 3 to drop at once?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Squiddycat posted:

This game is way too stingy with Primogems, even for a gacha game

The gacha seems to be relatively balanced for the early game, where a 10 roll typically gets you a character or constellation and there's a feeling of at least minor growth as you head to 5star pity. But it's going to feel just awful when we have the majority of characters at c6 and the only point in getting primos is to get 5-stars. I'm mostly a free player and I've already maxed Bennett, Xiangling, and Xingqui, with a few more close behind, I expect most banners will soon always have at least 1 wasted character for me.

If hitting 1600 feels slow now, imagine what it will feel like when you get a 5-star and think 'Ok, time to save another 14,400 primos for the next 5-star!' because none of the 4-star content is a value for you. I guess refunding rolls on c7 and up will speed it up, but still...

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Is this ever going to change? I just ate 3 C7 Chongyuns in a row to get neither of the banner 4* I wanted on the way to getting C2 Mona instead of Wu Tao. Without a doubt the more you play the game the less you get out of your wishes. Getting one more wish is a terrible consolation prize and it just further cements the diminishing value of wishes to give another wish. I can't imagine what it's like if you whaled on a character banner or two but maybe at that level you're not even looking at your 4* drops and maybe that's why it won't change?

I'd love to get something like xp books or weapon crystals or those chests you can buy for gems that drop random weapon or talent materials instead of or in addition to the starglitter that I could turn in for meaningless amounts of the same. Then I would feel like I was getting to improve the characters I had, which would then make me hungrier for new characters.

Who knows, I hope it changes! Given that it's been like a 4 month wait between Xinyan and Rosaria, they can't make enough 4 stars to meet demand. Hopefully they just make it so c7+ drops a currency for unlocks they can scale as the game ages.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I'm only about 20 rolls since my last 5 star. My current ideal plan is to roll a few times to get rosaria, then a few times for yanfei, and then nab Eula. I'd rather get a new 5 star than a constellation, but Zhongli is one of my most-used supports so c1 wouldn't be a bad surprise.

Of course, the last time I was trying to get a new four star on purpose, I went from 0 Bennetts to c5 bennett while getting 0 Sucrose's. So I'm well aware my plan has some magical thinking that I would actually get the banner 4 stars I want.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I spent money, once, when I didn't have a guaranteed pity, and I got really goddamn lucky. Especially since it was my third time in a row getting the on-banner 5star.

Even having gotten what I wanted, never doing that again.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Got 1 rosaria, 1barbara, 1 fischl, and 1 rain slasher in 30 pulls. Fine by me. Probably only pulling once on the zhongli banner in hopes of yanfei and saving pity for eula.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Traveler/Story

Story 1:
A boy and a girl stood amidst the tumult, under an unfamiliar sky. You were a pair of traveling twins, passing through countless worlds during your journey. Descending upon a continent named Teyvat, you hoped that you would be able to enjoy your time here.

But as you awoke among the falling stars, you saw the world in turmoil, a cataclysm raging across the land...
You sought to leave this place and move on to the next world, but then an Unknown God stood before you, barring the way. This deity was spotless, floating over a world of chaos.
Looking down on you.

The god took your only kin away, and you were sealed and cast into a deep slumber filled with nightmares...
When you reawakened, the world was changed. The flames of war raged no longer, and nothing was left that looked familiar.
How long had you been asleep? You had no answers.
Thus you began a lonely journey, seeking the deity that you had once laid eyes upon...

So the context behind the opening cutscene, communicated ONLY in this traveler story in the character menu, is that the travelers appeared, saw some bad stuff going down, and were trying to escape when they were stopped.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, I've got about 40 rolls stockpiled, which is exactly enough to hit pity. I'm hoping to roll twice on the zhongli banner for the new 4-star, then get Eula.

A zhongli c1 would be fine but a little disappointing, I'd much rather have a new character. Soft pity starts at 75 right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I run her with Zhongli so I just face tank literally everything. Zhongli is incredibly broken and I love him.

The sheer number of intended combat mechanics I can just ignore from throwing up a zhongli shield every 12 seconds is downright irresponsible.