Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Now that's the kind of straightforward advice that I need if I'm going to understand anything about what I should be doing to make fighting enemies easy again.

So, I just noticed this flying palace above Liyue Harbor as I'm climbing mountains to activate those other teleporters that I never got because they're on the edges of the map that we can't interact with yet. Is that related to the Rite of Descension quest I still haven't actually started working on?

No, it's related to another story quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bloody Emissary posted:

Not Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt, but the connotations of the prefix 原 also seem to center around the idea of the thing attached to it being the primitive, unrefined form of something else. One of the possible meanings my dictionary lists for it is "raw", for instance, but it's raw in the sense of something unprocessed, not something fresh and alive—raw cotton (原綿), raw materials (原料), crude oil (原油). I think this matches up with what we've been told about Vision bearers having the potential to enter Celestia—they're the unrefined, "rough" forms of gods, like uncut gemstones or unspun wool.

It's also in words like 原稿, meaning rough draft. If I were translating it I probably would've used something like "proto-god". Something that's not yet a god, but can serve as the basis of one.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

People in this thread have been talking about character synergies and tiers and stuff, which makes me feel like an absolute idiot so I'd like some advice. This is my current roster:

I've been using Sucrose as my "main" dps because I love the swooshing AOE effects of swirl so I wanted more Wind, all the time. She's still absolutely amazing at killing groups, but I'm starting to realize at level 70 that her normal attacks are... bad. Really bad. Fischl and Xingqiu are both amazing as "switch to them for 2 seconds to use their skills/bursts and then switch out" characters, while Noelle keeps me alive and is also surprisingly strong when her Burst is up.

Anyway, the main problem I'm having is that apparently Water and Lightning are crappy elements and I need Pyro or Cryo to kill slimes in any reasonable amount of time. I tried out Xiangling briefly (replacing Xingqiu) but tbh I hated playing her. In particular her Skill seems really awkward to apply Pyro with and her Burst took too long to charge (although maybe that was an effect of the Domain I was trying her out in). I guess maybe an obvious thing would be to replace Sucrose with Xiangling with a physical build, but honestly I still really enjoy the giant swooshing AOE effects so that would make me sad.

Edit: Xingqiu is at C0, btw. Everyone else I'm using is C1.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 16, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Vargs posted:

You could use either Razor or Noelle as your main dps and keep Sucrose around as support. Razor is just straight up good. Noelle isn't the most damaging primary dps around but she can do alright at it and will never die, while also giving you a ton of flexibility for your other 3 slots since she doesn't need them for reactions or heals.

That's not the worst idea, but it doesn't solve the Pyro/Cryo problem which is the main reason I want to switch up my team in the first place.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

UltraRed posted:

There’s also large earth slimes, those jumping thurlichurls or whatever that are difficult to get away from and any shield your team does not have the correct element for. That and just overworld mining. Wish here was a faster way to swap characters.

Yeah, it'd be nice if there were a quicker way to switch between Team A and Team B for overworld stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

Oh man those cutscenes were excellent. Having two characters with talking floating companions interact is extremely funny and they lean into it Another detail I really appreciate is that Oz mostly pronounces the German correctly unlike the Prinzessin herself who learned it from a book.

In her idle animation, Fischl tries and fails to pronounce her own title that she gave herself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Joink posted:

Ignoring how clunky Lisa is to play, when you look at the raw numbers behind damage calculations her HOLD E (Violet Arc) skill scales incredibly well. So well it is in fact the hardest single hit possible, lvl 15 is +1157% dmg on a target with 3 conductive stacks.

The largest single hit means nothing if it takes a long time to set up and is easily interrupted.

Like, I have no opinions on the tier list, but we're talking about dps, not the largest single hits.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just assumed he was a talking pet.

E: vvv Oh okay. I just assumed he was a talking pet that followed her around, like Paimon, except less humanoid. What is Paimon anyway?

All the archons are named after demons, and Paimon is named after a demon, so I'm assuming she's like the Dendro Archon or something.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They should just give you the option to automatically restart like they did with the glider one. The loading problem is sort of unavoidable though, since like half the gameplay of the event is figuring out which warp point to start from.

Speaking of which, I have no clue why so many people decided that yesterday's delivery involved swimming or freezing the water with Kaeya?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Today's Chef Mao delivery was the first time I used Kaeya. There was probably another waypoint I was supposed to use.

I did it without doing anything special, but I did fail twice due to stepping on an invisible puddle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

From Sucrose's description of him her voice lines, he's basically more like a philosopher while she's more like a scientist. Which, as a former philosophy major, just makes me hate him more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not getting into conspiracy theories, but it seems to me like a simple buff to Geo would be to just have Crystallize reactions do a bit of damage in addition to creating the shield. It doesn't even have to be a lot of damage, just enough to encourage some interactivity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Framboise posted:

It's strange that we don't really know what the 4*s are for the Albedo banner yet. I feel like we knew all the other upcoming ones at least a week or two in advance, and meanwhile we're a few days from v1.2 and still don't know beyond guessing "idk, Bennett and Sucrose?"

Sucrose was on the Klee banner which wasn't like super recent but I still think it'd be odd to repeat her so soon.

But honestly I really don't care about who the 5* characters I'll probably never get are, I just want those juicy 4 stars.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would also add that getting dupes of the characters you use seems to matter a lot more in this game compared to other gachas, since it adds completely new functionality to their skills as opposed to just marginal stat gains. So getting tons of copies of your favorites is more important than collecting every character imo.

And the only way to even remotely control that is to pull like a madman on their 4* banners.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 18, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of weapon banners, is there any way to check what a weapon actually does before you pull one, other than checking a wiki? I feel like this should be obvious but I haven't found it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There actually is an in-game codex/"archive" that lists all the weapons and their stats/passives, but annoyingly enough, it only shows details for ones you've already obtained. So yup, you have to look them up online in wikis or whatever.

I see. I have to admit, I find it literally impossible to get excited for the weapon banner when I have no idea what any of them do and can't be bothered to look it up. At least the character banner lets you try them out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, a banner with Fischl and Sucrose is one that I am going all-in on. Not a fan of chalk boy, but hopefully I'll get an off-banner 5* and set myself up for a guaranteed down the line.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Geo had no 5* at all prior to that though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pulled Albedo with my pity, which was a bad thing because I was hoping to set up a guaranteed 5* later, but then I pulled Keqing 30 pulls later so it's all good. I also got a 5* weapon from the permanent banner using the new leveling orbs. Today's been good.

Edit: Unfortunately I only got one Fischl dupe which was kind of the main point of pulling though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just felt like sharing this:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The summon damage is just a bonus, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So who should we complain about next, to get mega-buffs?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I didn't know that. I mash through any and all attempts by this game to put "dialogue" or "plot" or "story" in my face so I can get back to killing things with my waifus because I want to have fun with the video game that I'm playing.

But how do you know which waifus are cool if you don't pay attention to what they do?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Swirl does nothing but spread effects, right, no extra damage? Still trying to work out how/when to use Sucrose - and combos in general for that matter

Specifically, it does damage of the element that is being spread. It deals no wind damage, in case you're confused about that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have heard that the Playstation version has laggier controls than the PC version. I doubt it's a connection speed issue because the server seems to more or less trust the client to handle positioning, ie: it just proceeds on the client-side without waiting for confirmation from the servers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I dunno if you were still looking for it but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbxcGLdOBII

Very comprehensive and he gives lots of MATH about stuff.

The tl;dr being that in the majority of cases Albedo is gonna prefer a DEF% Hourglass. Also the 3* sword Harbinger of Dawn is almost always Best in Slot for him, which is hilarious. He doesn't really go into it much but he also does mention the potential for using 2 pieces of the 4* Defender artifact set just because that 30% DEF bonus is actually very significant for transient blossoms.

I don't have time to watch an entire video, what's his best set?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I have Keqing so I can one-round the flower and avoid the shield phase that apparently exists, but I find it a real pain in the butt to knock it down in the first place. I tried using like Amber or Xiangling but they don't seem to instantly melt the barrier and they die in one hit if I ever fail to dodge something. So I've settled on doing it with Noelle, who is slow and steady on account of being practically invincible, but I was wondering if there's a better way?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Amber Q takes it down 2/3s of the way, you can just bennett E and Q for the rest.

With... what? I tried Amber and she was not nearly that strong. Do stats actually matter for the shield?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Her ult, Fire rain - it deals a huge number of elemental ticks onto the core.

Did I cast it too early then? I tried that the first time and it only did like a quarter.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

friend and i are doing the fight in 1:30 pretty easily as a duo, but it's going to go to hell the moment a pubbie slips into the instance

I was doing it with my brother and at first a random Diluc player joined and that was good, and then a Barbara joined and everything went to hell.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Space Opera posted:

Two fire slimes? Oh buddy, you are on floor 2 of 3 :( electro is pretty good on pyro slimes, you might be able to make do with Lisa. Razor has a pretty fast E, so if you have the exp books he could be an option too. But a lot will come down to how leveled up your artifacts are.

The last floor should be much easier for Klee though.

Electro is no better against fire slimes than physical since overload does purely fire damage. Electro deals bonus damage to water slimes only.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Osmosisch posted:

Was the Kamera quest recently added? It's kind of cute, though the gadget is a bit redundant.

Yeah, it was added in the Albedo patch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am not aware of any games that remove dupes from the gacha pool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of the auto-assign eating weapons first, they really should let you assign multiple weapon crystals without clicking a billion times for each one. Same with experience books. It's awful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

padijun posted:

with XP books you can hold the button down

Oh, that changes everything.

...Apparently it takes way longer to start than I was expecting, so after trying it I thought holding it down did nothing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

After taking the Albedo survey, I have learned that apparently Mihoyo was expecting people to jump off of it for plunge attacks. Which was like... huh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even when her ult's not up, I've never had any trouble hitting at least two enemies at once with a claymore.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cryo carries seem uniquely bad in a world filled with cryo slimes and cryo shields.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm like 99% sure that there are 0 non-liyue adepti.

They're not supernatural beings in general, they're a specific Chinese cultural thing and only show up in the China-reference region.

Honestly it's more than a little weird that they translated all these Extremely Chinese Things into Greek/Latin like Rex Lapis and Adeptus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

The english team in general seems to be given like the least resources possible, between constant mistranslated that are kinda important (like artifact/skill descriptions) or the forever screwed up thing with Childe's naming convention.

Also no one just writing down how to pronounce names universally.

The translation is actually way, way higher effort than most, imo.