Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crokinole! The game from the 1800's that requires a wooden circular board and a couple dozen wooden discs to play. You flick the discs towards a center circle, the closer you get the more points you score. Knocking an opponents discs out of the inner circle is fair play.

Wikipedia says:

quote:

The earliest known crokinole board was made by craftsman Eckhardt Wettlaufer in 1876 in Perth County, Ontario, Canada. It is said Wettlaufer crafted the board as a fifth birthday present for his son Adam, which is now part of the collection at the Joseph Schneider Haus, a national historic site in Kitchener, Ontario, with a focus on Germanic folk art. Several other home-made boards dating from southwestern Ontario in the 1870s have been discovered since the 1990s. A board game similar to crokinole was patented on 20 April 1880 by Joshua K. Ingalls (US Patent No. 226,615)

Crokinole is often believed to be of Mennonite or Amish origins, but there is no factual data to support such a claim. The reason for this misconception may be due to its popularity in Mennonite and Amish groups. The game was viewed as a rather innocuous pastime – unlike the perception that diversions such as card playing or dancing were considered "works of the Devil" as held by many 19th-century Protestant groups. The oldest roots of crokinole, from the 1860s, suggest the British and South Asian games[clarification needed] are the most likely antecedents of what became crokinole.

In 2006, a documentary film called Crokinole was released. The world premiere occurred at the Princess Cinema in Waterloo, Ontario, in early 2006. The movie follows some of the competitors of the 2004 World Crokinole Championship as they prepare for the event.

Here's a good description of the rules and the board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZrGKn66mI&t=3s

Here's an awesome video of a competitive game with a goon announcer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzmSKZhmGvs

I've got a shop, and a bit of carpentry knowledge. I'm thinking I might just build a board and give the game a try. What do you think fellow goons? Have you ever played Crokinole before? Is it something you would try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved playing this with my great aunt, but I was terrible at it. That's my story.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I only know about this because in one year's Gen-Con thread somebody was like "hey is there any crokinole happening here?" and I first thought "hahah what even is that?" and then checked and discovered that not only WAS it happening, but there was a championship tournament taking place. Not sure whether that spoke more to crokinole's popularity or Gen-Con's endless selection of events though

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Tabletop curling

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
it's a little too much for me. can't keep track of the disc

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

a goon announcer!? be still my heart!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I prefer atomic chess OP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_chess posted:

Atomic chess is a chess variant. Standard rules of chess apply, but all captures result in an "explosion" through which all surrounding white and black pieces other than pawns are removed from play. Some variations additionally remove rules concerning check such that the king may be able to move into or remain in check.

Threats to the king can be direct or indirect. Putting a king in check is a direct attack and is sometimes called "atomic check".[8] An indirect threat occurs when a player threatens to explode the king by capturing an adjacent piece. In most variations of atomic chess, players must respond to being checked in a similar way they would in traditional chess—by moving the king out of check, blocking the check, or removing the checking piece—but an exception exists when the checked player can win the game by exploding the checking player's king.

As the king cannot take another piece, it is possible to move the kings next to each other without a check occurring or to escape check. This possibility is often used by a losing player to defensively position his king next to his opponent's at endgame, hoping for a draw. Depending on the board setup, this strategy is sometimes optimal and the draw can be forced. At other times, a player can counter by forcing a win with a position such that a piece or pawn can be exploded next to their opponent's king without blowing up their own king, or by forcing the opposing king away using their king and the remaining pieces on the board, which typically will result in a loss for the retreating king.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

YouTube's random video recommendations has claimed another victim.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
So this is a board game version of that Olympic sport that exists almost entirely as a punchline?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Yes, I've played this. It's fun. Still, it seems like that kind of thing where people could become obsessed with equipment rather than just the game itself. But that's just the impression of one evening playing.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

So this is a board game version of that Olympic sport that exists almost entirely as a punchline?

Yeah, but you don't have to wear thick socks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Question for those of you who have played before: Does the board surface matter? I imagine you'd get a few practice flicks before the game begins, but it looks like there aren't any rules on the wooden surface other than "smooth".

I'm wondering because if I build one I'm wondering if I want the surface smooth like glass, or just a table top (or something similar).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Crokinole? CROKINOLE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just remembered we had a korona table when I were a lad. I wonder what happened to it. That crokinole looks somewhat similar but not at all similar really.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just play ping pong instead so you can impress all the ladies (or dudes)

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I kickstarted a crokinole board that arrived last month and I plan to play a bunch of my friends soon. Until then, my wife and I are getting real aggressive playing against each other.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
crokinowns, I wish I had money for a board tbh

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Misread title as "Cuckinole" and assumed there'd been another scandal about an American evangelist.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is an old person’s game. The proper way to play is to snack on woothers originals or ribbon candy, maybe play some yatzhee after

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

This is an old person’s game. The proper way to play is to snack on woothers originals or ribbon candy, maybe play some yatzhee after

Sounds like a hoot to me :shrug:

Oh wait, gently caress!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's no tiddlywinks, that's for sure

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Do it ironically posted:

Yahtzee? Whoa, hepcat, slow down a bit.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Crokinole is great. Though I've forsaken it for Darts.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
we played non alcoholic beer pong the other day. Just 12 red solos filled with water. We all made it out alive that time heh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

oh poo poo! it's the game on the other side of the carom board, not that anybody my age has ever played carom, either

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered we had a korona table when I were a lad.

except Jerry :911::respek::finland:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
A bar near me had a board for this. Was a good time.

Remember bars? :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I apologize.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I apologize.

hell, I still own a board :corsair:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

YouTube's random video recommendations has claimed another victim.

You're right. You're loving right.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Besides crokinole at my grandparents place they also had this wooden horse racing game none of us grandkids knew how to play, and a cribbage board, just like purely grandparent house poo poo, and those strawberry hard candies

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

spacetoaster posted:

Question for those of you who have played before: Does the board surface matter? I imagine you'd get a few practice flicks before the game begins, but it looks like there aren't any rules on the wooden surface other than "smooth".

I'm wondering because if I build one I'm wondering if I want the surface smooth like glass, or just a table top (or something similar).

I don't think there's anything formally set about the surface - not sure that glass would work but most of the surfaces I've seen are very smooth and lacquered wood. Mostly I think people muck around a bit to get a feel for the board before playing. Even if you didn't, the first few shots would inform.

The really good players play tactically, to block and deflect. They can put the discs where they want. Realistically, most players aren't good and are just trying to land discs in the right direction.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I read the title as “Cornhole” not “Crokinole” and I have been very confused

I’m a moron

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Julius CSAR posted:

I’m a moron

We are posting in GBS.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Do it ironically posted:

and a cribbage board

cribbage loving owns too imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GigaPeon posted:

A bar near me had a board for this. Was a good time.

Remember bars? :(

bar I used to go to had one of the big shuffleboard tables with the sand and hockey-puck size metal discs. those loving rule to play when you're drunk.

but it kinda sucked, I feel like they'd gotten tired of yelling at dumb kids to keep their beers off the table many years before so the finish was sticky and the sand was more than a bit gross.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I played something like this with my grandpa when I was a kid but it was called “Carom” or something like that.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I played this game a ton as a kid and had no idea it was local (like extremely local) to where I lived. I still love playing in bars, and in St Jacob's (a little north of Waterloo) theres a brewery called Block Three that had a couple crokinole boards in the tap room area that I played many a game at. Somehow crokinole has come up multiple times in my life while travelling and it's rare that people know what it is (or know it as carom/the other side of the carom board).

My most recent crokinole story is when I was at a rally back in February, I met a girl from Gatineau (French city on the border of Ontario) and we hooked up, and somehow got on the topic of childhood board/card games later in the night, and I mentioned crokinole. She said she'd never heard of it/played it but when I began to explain she blurted out "oh, pichenotte (sp?)!" I guess there is a pretty similar carom derivative which is a similarly rural-Quebecois simple pastime, but she'd never played it. The next morning we set out looking through thrift shops for a crokinole board so I could show her this awesome game from my childhood but we never found one. I went home with my car later that day and then a few weeks later rona hit and I haven't seen her in person since. She never got to experience crokinole :(

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Frank Frank posted:

I played something like this with my grandpa when I was a kid but it was called “Carom” or something like that.

it's on the back of every carom board I've ever seen (but I just learned the name of this game... we only ever played carom)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Empty Sandwich posted:

oh poo poo! it's the game on the other side of the carom board, not that anybody my age has ever played carom, either

except Jerry :911::respek::finland:

Both “teams” should have the same type of pieces, whether painted or other unpainted. I’ve usually only seen unpainted ones. I feel like this would affect the friction, which is also why I wouldn’t use a different surface. I hope I still have my board somewhere in the basement, it was like a hundred bucks when i bought it a decade ago and I imagine it’s even more expensive now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Crokinole is not a cheap game, only the finest plywoods and most delicate waxes can stand up to rigorous canadian standards