Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

while they play with hands and the ball is not even a ball, its an oval LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
*favorite

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Should be "handegg," amirite????

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Benches cleared

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think it should be! I wa thinking the same thing, hand-egg!

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
you should check the wikipedia article, it explains the whole thing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cafe Barbarian posted:

you should check the wikipedia article, it explains the whole thing

Why did you even pay 10 dollars to be here

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Does the quarterback ever get a boner when he and the center are lined up in doggy position at the start of each play? :confused:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
also itt: why do americans have to make everything about them

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I was always thinking when a defender scores a goal is it persnal tragedy for him, breaking the oath every defender takes to defend?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Football is kind of a funny name for cribbage, I admit.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

also itt: why do americans have to make everything about them

eveeywhere else doesnt matter and hasn't mattered since the us won ww2 and bailed everyone out

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

gleebster posted:

Football is kind of a funny name for cribbage, I admit.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

it should be super fuckin obvious now that we are not smart people OP !!!!!!!!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Because way back when the game was created the ball looked almost like a basketball and there was no passing and a lot more kicking was involved. Here's a picture showing more generally what the ball was like. Please note that this is from WAY later than the era I'm talking about, because this player has a helmet on and in the beginning no one wore anything like that and the ball was even more spheroid.

Also due to the lack of padding, games between colleges weren't unusual to have one or MORE DEATHS PER GAME. AND THEN THEY KEPT PLAYING AFTER THE WHEELED THE DEAD OFF THE FIELD. AND THE SCHOOLS WERE FINE WITH THAT.

It wasn't until after they allowed the adoption of the rule to let players throw the ball forward (Passing) extremely later in the game (to give you an example, the very first game agreed to be 'american football' was a 'college soccer football' game played in 1869. No one threw that ball forward until 1906, and even then nobody did it much), that the ball morphed into it's sleeker, modern form. At the very beginning, forward passing involved taking that round'ish ball with both hands over your head and lobbing it like a caveman throwing a rock at a cave bear or some poo poo.

And now you know more about football.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 14, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Zardoz speaks to you

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Pretty sure that is a Sith Lord dude.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Because we refuse to conform to the rest of the world, and instead adopt our own reality.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
way back in England, there were two types of football: rugby football and association football

rugby football was known as "rugger." some Oxbridge wag whose name I refuse to look up was once asked if he'd like to play some rugger, to which he responded "no, I'd rather play soccer." this wisecrack was widely popularized

so the terms just ossified differently here than in Englalonde

someone please explain Australian-rules football to me

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I challenge you to shufflepuck. Let the games begin!

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

american football has lost its way. bring back college death ball and the hot dog helmets and the harold lloyd looking guys. release a lion onto the field and the one who survives wins his freedom

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Internetjack posted:

Pretty sure that is a Sith Lord dude.

No that's Peyton Hillis, who purposely had this made for himself.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

firstly OP, our national past time is baseball. Secondly, We call it Football. Thirdly, Aussie Rules Football is cool. Lastly, your post is not endearing me to soccer.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

False. Favorite game: baseball.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Because way back when the game was created the ball looked almost like a basketball and there was no passing and a lot more kicking was involved. Here's a picture showing more generally what the ball was like. Please note that this is from WAY later than the era I'm talking about, because this player has a helmet on and in the beginning no one wore anything like that and the ball was even more spheroid.

Also due to the lack of padding, games between colleges weren't unusual to have one or MORE DEATHS PER GAME. AND THEN THEY KEPT PLAYING AFTER THE WHEELED THE DEAD OFF THE FIELD. AND THE SCHOOLS WERE FINE WITH THAT.

It wasn't until after they allowed the adoption of the rule to let players throw the ball forward (Passing) extremely later in the game (to give you an example, the very first game agreed to be 'american football' was a 'college soccer football' game played in 1869. No one threw that ball forward until 1906, and even then nobody did it much), that the ball morphed into it's sleeker, modern form. At the very beginning, forward passing involved taking that round'ish ball with both hands over your head and lobbing it like a caveman throwing a rock at a cave bear or some poo poo.

And now you know more about football.

I'm a football coach in 1911 filing away at another three percent of the regulation ball shape each year until someone finally catches me in the post war interim and now footballs will forever be a kind of half-sawed oval shape.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

LiterallyATomato posted:

False. Favorite game: baseball.

Been saying this!!! Thank you!!!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

reignofevil posted:

I'm a football coach in 1911 filing away at another three percent of the regulation ball shape each year until someone finally catches me in the post war interim and now footballs will forever be a kind of half-sawed oval shape.

I'm golf balls going from gutta percha to plastic to matte hyper-whatever they are now.
I'm soccer balls going from inflated bladders to the patterned carbon fiber technosphere.
I'm hockey sticks going from recurve to flat back to recurve and becoming carbon fiber composite.

Sports change. Rules change and adapt because people test things and ask "That looks fun but how do we keep it fair and the audience entertained?".
I'm not singling you out or anything, it's just something I was thinking about too, to be honest.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

It's also known as Gridiron, which is a much cooler name than the sport deserves.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If general china was unbanned he would have a quintuple post about this topic OP

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it would be a way more interesting game if people could kick the ball through the uprights any time for 1 point without losing possession, just another down, like you could just be running and you plant and kick the ball or whatever, and then they put an oversized basketball hoop at the bottom middle of the uprights tilted at 45 degrees that you can throw the ball through for 4 points. Also no panties for cheerleaders, they can get snagged on poo poo or bunch up. :crossarms:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I love the oblong pigskin covered object game!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Would it be better if they all just kept falling down with imaginary injuries and then decided to call it a 0-0 tie after 90 minutes of absolute boredom?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ChesterJT posted:

Would it be better if they all just kept falling down with imaginary injuries and then decided to call it a 0-0 tie after 90 minutes of absolute boredom?

The sport of flop is fun in its own right.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
let's head out back and toss around the ol' hogflesh

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

whinging poms at it again, go back to boris

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Sekenr posted:

while they play with hands and the ball is not even a ball, its an oval LMAO

Why do "favourite" people smell like cheese and vinegar?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah it's silly op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'll tell you what really 'GRINDS MY GEARS' is the English and Australians coming up with slang that always ends in vowel sounds.

"Oi, matey some pingas? Go downa ta maccy's an [...whatever]" loving close a word off. Just say the loving word. Say it. It's like both god-forsaken islands have tongue cancer and a terminal case of being water-babies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Handegg amirite :haw: :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

How come the quaterback never gets a quarter at the start of the game, loses it for a time, and then gets it back?