Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

rickiep00h posted:

Sun Valley is the site of one of the biggest initial covid outbreaks in the country because a bunch of people decided to hang out for a ski trip (among other things; it was like hundreds of people) and then spread it all over the loving place.

I'm torn because I want them to die but I don't want them to spread it to other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

signalnoise posted:

I'm torn because I want them to die but I don't want them to spread it to other people

You want them to die? yikes man chill out.

side_burned posted:

My parents are planning to move to Idaho in April. I am begging them to put it off for a year, it is not a good time to move three states.

lemme guess, moving out of California?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Willfrey posted:

Doesn't matter where they're from, the locals will still accuse them of being from California.

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

As someone born and raised in Idaho who has lived in several other places in the US, It will always be my home, and sure maybe there's like 1000 total wackjobs that live in the woods beating their dicks to Hitler, but the vast majority of people here are fundamentally good and our Mexican food is better than California's, gently caress California. Most of it is pretty rural, which maybe isn't a good look to people that live in more populated places (Statistically, most people) but if you don't need to live within walking distance of a night club, it really is great here. We're also one of the safest states as far as crime rate goes, and I really don't know why we get any poo poo when Kentucky, Texas, and Florida exist.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
imagining myself lying arched on top of a giant marble somewhere in the idaho flats (real??)

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

AlphariusOmegon posted:

our Mexican food is better than California's

So this is a huge lie.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Bodhidharma posted:

So this is a huge lie.

White people make the best "Mexican" food don'tcha know?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pawn 17 posted:

eh ya you dunno what you're talking about. Dunno if it is the best in the US but shoutout to El Gallo Giro in Kuna and Jalapeno's in Nampa. Los betos was OK until they became self aware and jacked up those breakfast burrito prices

rickiep00h posted:

Doesn't matter where they're from, the locals will still accuse them of being from California.

quote:

States with the largest number of people who moved to Idaho in 2018

1. California: 21,018 (26.3%)
2. Washington: 14,955 (18.7%)
3. Utah: 6,626 (8.3%)
4. Oregon: 4,735 (5.9%)
5. Texas: 4,180 (5.2%)

Call it an educated guess

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 21, 2020

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

AlphariusOmegon posted:

As someone born and raised in Idaho who has lived in several other places in the US, It will always be my home, and sure maybe there's like 1000 total wackjobs that live in the woods beating their dicks to Hitler, but the vast majority of people here are fundamentally good and our Mexican food is better than California's, gently caress California. Most of it is pretty rural, which maybe isn't a good look to people that live in more populated places (Statistically, most people) but if you don't need to live within walking distance of a night club, it really is great here. We're also one of the safest states as far as crime rate goes, and I really don't know why we get any poo poo when Kentucky, Texas, and Florida exist.

Which part of Idaho did you grow up in, I had the same upbringing with a completely different experience

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

While it doesn't really compete with the likes of California or New Mexico, Idaho has the 15th highest hispanic population per capita of US states and 91% of them are Mexican.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm just joking Idahoans, I'm sure your Mexican food is just fine.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Willfrey posted:

Guilty. Dad has wanted to move out the states since the end of the 80's and he can kill lots of deer on the cheap in Idaho.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

side_burned posted:

Guilty. Dad has wanted to move out the states since the end of the 80's and he can kill lots of deer on the cheap in Idaho.

Yeah, I can see the appeal, if you could sell your 2 bedroom house in CA for 400k and buy a similar one on ID for less than 200k it makes the racist winters more palatable

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

AlphariusOmegon posted:

our Mexican food is better than California's, gently caress California.

I’ve lived in Idaho and this is absolutely not true at all

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
El Gallo Giro is loving good. La Tapatia in Boise has my favorite horchata. I miss those places.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
"Thats weird, what the hell is Idaho"?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

runnypoops posted:

what is my own private idaho by the B 52s about

The series of Duncan Idaho gholas, Leto's own private Idaho.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just dunkin' on Idaho.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
idaho, but she left

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Devil Boat

AlphariusOmegon
May 11, 2020

ddiddles posted:

Which part of Idaho did you grow up in, I had the same upbringing with a completely different experience

Mostly the treasure Valley but I did some time in the sticks up in Fruitland and Payette.

And as far as the mexican food goes, I will die on this hill. I spent 2 years in California and there was only one mexican restaurant in driving distance that didn't embarrass the idea, and that was mostly because their tortillas and chips were made in house.

I am currently within a 10 minute drive of 3 different mexican restaurants owned and operated by first and second generation immigrants.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

AlphariusOmegon posted:

Mostly the treasure Valley but I did some time in the sticks up in Fruitland and Payette.

And as far as the mexican food goes, I will die on this hill. I spent 2 years in California and there was only one mexican restaurant in driving distance that didn't embarrass the idea, and that was mostly because their tortillas and chips were made in house.

I am currently within a 10 minute drive of 3 different mexican restaurants owned and operated by first and second generation immigrants.

This is just incredible, I gotta say.

What part of the extremely massive and populous state of California were you in such that you could hardly find Real Authentic Mexican People Who Made Real Authentic Mexican Food?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

rickiep00h posted:

This is just incredible, I gotta say.

What part of the extremely massive and populous state of California were you in such that you could hardly find Real Authentic Mexican People Who Made Real Authentic Mexican Food?

my trick for finding good mexican food there was just go to the place that looks the cheapest and shittiest, but you run into a lot of places that feel like they're owned by white people, or worse the "cal-mex fusion" places that are definitely run by white people and they put like peaches on tacos

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

BasicLich posted:

my trick for finding good mexican food there was just go to the place that looks the cheapest and shittiest, but you run into a lot of places that feel like they're owned by white people, or worse the "cal-mex fusion" places that are definitely run by white people and they put like peaches on tacos

Well yeah. Most of the time I live in Chicago and those ridiculous fusion places are all over the drat place, but we have a really healthy Mexican presence in the city (I'm literally on the same block as a multiple-generation restaurant, in fact), and there's no WAY we're nearly as set as California is, by virtue of SoCal having tons of actual Mexican citizens in it and doing business on top of literal centuries of Mexican culture.

Idaho, on the other hand... not so much.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Chicago is mostly known for its low-key, respectful admiration of others, not for being a puffed-up bantam of a town.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I can't remember the town because it was a cross country trip where I was crossing the horizon a bunch each day but it was at a gas station combo bar and grill combo town hall in the middle of nowhere east Idaho where I had the best reuben that I've ever had in my life. It was served up by a waiter/cook who was keyed out of his skull on speed and I swear that just put the dude in the zone for making the world's best reubens. Hope that dude is still out there and functioning and if not that he's riding the rails in Valhalla.

Craters of the moon was pretty cool.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Box Canyon Springs was pretty amazing. Water as blue as the Caribbean coming straight out of the ground. I hiked in to the canyon and jumped in the spring fed river. About 55 degrees, but not bad on a 100 degree day in August.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxM9B9BbeU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

For what it's worth, I do appreciate the state for its natural beauty. Here's Shoshone Falls at the middle of last month:

I've been there in the spring during thaw as well, and it was deafening. Here we have a combination of late in the year and the dam being on a pretty low flow, so it's not nearly so impressive. I was happy to get a good look at the rock formations, though.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica

nah posted:

I know they got a lot of potatoes. Plus they have a college football team with a blue field. What else is there to know

If you asked me to describe idaho this would be exactly all I would be able to give you

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

rickiep00h posted:

Well yeah. Most of the time I live in Chicago and those ridiculous fusion places are all over the drat place, but we have a really healthy Mexican presence in the city (I'm literally on the same block as a multiple-generation restaurant, in fact), and there's no WAY we're nearly as set as California is, by virtue of SoCal having tons of actual Mexican citizens in it and doing business on top of literal centuries of Mexican culture.

Idaho, on the other hand... not so much.

i've been all over the bay and san diego and I swear there's some kind of weird economic effect that keeps mexican mexicans from establishing genuine sit-downs of quality, I'm guessing they get bought up or something but having been in both CA and ID in my time out west, IME its easier to find good mexican in ID

e: san diego especially sucks, its like they have a jim crow law against mexicans that forces them all to operate in Old Town. wonderful food, when I was there ~5 years ago there was this South American restaurant that had the most incredible seafood. great plantains too

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

nah posted:

I know they got a lot of potatoes. Plus they have a college football team with a blue field. What else is there to know

BasicLich posted:

nothing. don't come here. gently caress off.