Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:slick: GET READY MOTHER FUCKERS BECAUSE THE WORST HOCKEY IN NORTH AMERICA AND ALSO HAMLINE IS BACK :slick:

What happened last year?
Nothing! Hockey died. Hockey is back but it will probably die again! IMPORTANT NEWS!

:woop: THE CCHA IS FUCKIN BACK :woop:

Bemidji, BGSU, Ferris State, LSSU, Fightin' Nerds, Minnesota State, and Northern Michigan all decided they're done with travelling to Alaska and Alabama, and it's hard to blame them. This will be the final year for the oddball WCHA as far as men's hockey goes. They'll be joined by St. Thomas, who jumps all the way from D-III to D-1 hockey.

CHN posted:

The Tommies, a longtime member of Division III Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference — and an old conference rival of Minnesota-Duluth — will move up to Division I and join the CCHA in men’s hockey, while playing in the WCHA for women’s hockey, the Pioneer League for football and the Summit League in every other sport.
H a m l i n e

What does that mean for the Alaskas and Alabama-Huntsville? Bad news. Alaska-Anchorage could not overcome budget issues, and announced this will be their final season of operations. Alabama-Huntsville announced in May they'd be ceasing operations entirely as of that point, then got a frankly incredible stay of execution at the last minute.

CHN posted:

With rumors of financial issues for university athletics across the country, the first casualty in college hockey proved to be the Chargers — for a bit. The administration at Alabama-Huntsville announced May 22 that the school would fold its hockey program, along with the men’s and women’s tennis teams. However, due to alumni and fan donations totaling more than $750,000, the school announced one week later that the hockey team would return for the upcoming season.

"We're excited and so pleased that Alabama Huntsville hockey will return in 2020-21," said Bill Robertson, WCHA commissioner. "The fundraising effort that has, to date, netted nearly $900,000 is a remarkable accomplishment. I want to commend UAH President Dr. Darren Dawson and Director of Athletics Dr. Cade Smith for giving the program's supporters a chance to secure funding to keep it alive."

It's entirely possible UAH doesn't survive the season either, they need a new conference to join and for the Alabama Board of Regents to agree to continue funding the program. As far as SPACEBEAR goes, they had an outbreak of The Rona around the school, and have ceased any games until December 1st. I'd be honestly shocked if their program is still operating next year, but hell it's seemed like they'd fold for the better part of a decade now so what the crap do I know?

hamline

RIT has cancelled their hockey season and The Ivy League have cancelled all winter sports in light of the pandemic

:rip: to RIT but Nobody Cares About Atlantic Hockey until the scheduled knockout of St. Cloud in round 1 by whoever wins their tournament. This obviously puts the ECAC in a pretty big mess, and it's possible they cancel their season.

quote:

There are six non-Ivy teams in the ECAC — Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Colgate, Quinnipiac, RPI and Union. The first four appear to be all systems go; Clarkson put out a schedule today. Union has a game scheduled, against Long Island, but that is all so far. RPI, which was among the first to shut down last March, has not even been practicing. And yesterday it was reported that RPI star goaltender Owen Savory was in the transfer portal, suggesting, perhaps, his anticipation there would not be a season.

Arizona State has a 'scheduling agreement' with the B1G

e n i l m a h

Officially, ASU doesn't have a conference yet, but they do have a new arena they'll move into as of 2022, and have agreed with the B1G (no I don't care that it's called 'the big ten') to play a bunch of road games against them. No B1G team will travel to Arizona State this season. CHN has an interview with their head coach about how it all came together. For the curious, the NCHC seemed very sympathetic to their situation but didn't want to add them for the year because they already have 8 teams, while the B1G has 7.

NCHC has been quiet but seems to be moving ahead as planned

HAMLINE

There wasn't a lot of mention of the NCHC cancelling anything, and a "no news is good news" approach is probably the best way to look at it for now.

Anyway go hockey, BG beat Adrian over the weekend :toot: plan the fuckin virtual parade

go pipers, bithc

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

What's the best site for following NCAA hockey? Every year I tell myself I want to follow it better, and every year I give up because I can't find a good place for scores or recaps. Even the NCAA site itself is a little poo poo for tracking game results

USCHO and College Hockey News are both pretty good.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So PSU is ranked #10 in the country and also picked to finish last by the B1G coaches poll

Lol

at this rate it won't be long before 10th in the country is last in the country

LIU's first game of existence was an OT win :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bama-Huntsville has a plan to split costs between the school and alumni for the next 10 years, along with a better deal from the Von Braun Center, but that alone is very likely not going to be enough.

They're pushing hard to get an on-campus arena (the Von Braun center is about 3 miles away), but that will cost $50-$60 million, and they still don't have much interest from other conferences. Atlantic Hockey is likely adding Navy as their 12th, or LIU, and there aren't a lot of other conferences that would make sense to add them.

E: Interesting tidbit here as well:

quote:

It's also possible — again, a big if — that Minnesota State leaves the CCHA for the NCHC at some point, especially if it goes in a package with Arizona State. That could leave a spot in the CCHA, though there's already rumblings that Lindenwood, based near St. Louis and with an existing women's program, will finally add a D-I men's team.

First I've heard of that.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 22, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeGrinnell_/status/1334909724836368387?s=19

sharp

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao we're gonna get shut out by mercyhurst

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well we didn't get shut out! :confuoot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

go falcona, gently caress a ferris state

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GET OWNED THE FERRIS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ferris isn't much this year but hell we swept them so I'm not arguing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nvr4gt

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG outshot q'pac 17-2 in the 1st period and cruised to a 4-1 win :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So hey we're through the new year and let's see where poo poo's at.

gently caress to the jim delany
It's Minnesota by a loving landslide right now. They're 10-0 and the only team close is barely-over-.500 Wisconsin. Penn State still holding strong to their desire to not care about defense or goaltending.

ECAC
Only 4 teams are playing: Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Colgate, and Q'Pac. St. Lawrence has only played 2 games.

Hockey East
So hi there, UMass! They're sitting at 8-3 and for now that's good enough to top the league. BC is behind them at 5-1. BU is the only team to opt out of the season.

NCHC
By all accounts the early season pod was a massive success for the conference. Everyone's got at least 10 games in. Cloud, NoDak, and Minn-Duluth are jammed up at the top. They've got a long way to go but hey, Miami isn't on the league floor!

WCHA
In typical fashion, Minn-State, BG, and the Fightin' Nerds are all clustered at the top of the league. BG is an absurd 11-1 overall right now although that includes a couple games against D-3 Adrian. Both Alaskas are out. Bama-Huntsville is a brutal 0-5-1 and on life support as a program.

Independents
Arizona State is going to be doing a TON of travelling, I think they're scheduled to play entirely road games this year, and are currently 4-8-2. They lead the country in games played, which is not a stat I'd ever think I'd cite but I suppose that's something of its own victory this year. Newcomer Long Island University is 2-3-0, with wins over Holy Cross and RIT.

Atlantic Hockey

Bobby Mo is leading. Here is a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

lmao thank you for bringing this to my attention, college hockey owns

to be honest PSU hadn't updated their schedule at the end of last semester so I figured they just cancelled or something so I stopped paying attention :shrug:

I'd imagine life is absolutely miserable right now for any associate ADs, SIDs, student employees, etc. that haven't been laid off or furloughed at all the various colleges. Hell, even the Ohio States and Texases of the world are probably running skeleton crews for anyone not connected to football. Bowling Green at this point just sends out emails about the team every couple weeks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good to see you, nooner :tipshat:

So BU had their first games! I had it in my head they opted out from the season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Happy friday, yall. Some games get TV this weekend!

all times eastern

FRIDAY

Nerd poo poo
Q'Pac @ Colgate - 5PM
St. Lawrence @ Clarkson - 5PM

Bad accents
Maine @ Providence - Started at 3PM
UNH @ UConn - Just started at 4PM
BU @ Umass - Postponed for COVID

Chaos Division
Minn State @ LSSU - 7PM

Tornado Alley
Cloud @ WMU - 7PM

legends, leaders
SPARTY, NOOO @ Penn State - 6PM
ND @ Minnesota - 8PM - TV: Fox Sports North Plus
OSU @ Michigan - 7PM

Non-Conf
LIU @ Army - 5PM
Northern Mich @ BGSU - 7PM

Saturday
Maine @ Providence - 4:30PM TV: NESN
UConn @ UNH - 5PM
UMass @ BU - Postponed for COVID
Vermont @ Merrimack - Postponed for COVID
Merrimack @ BC - 7PM TV: NESN

Minn State @ LSSU - 5PM

Cloud @ WMU - 7:30PM TV: CBS Sports Network

SPARTY, NOOO @ Penn State - 3PM
ND @ Minnesota - 6PM TV: FOx Sports North
OSU @ Michigan - 7PM

Arizona State @ Wisconsin 8PM TV: Fox Sports Wisconsin
LIU @ Army - 7PM
NMU @ BGSU - 7PM

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So Western Michigan is beating the dogshit out of St cloud :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG sweeps the northern michigan series and is officially the 26th college hockey program to hit 1,000 wins :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG got swept by bemidji so I'm gonna spend the weekend melting down about it, naturally

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SchlossmanGF/status/1357896903841693698

things are going great in huntsville

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao bowling green is never going to beat minnesota state

E: lol

https://twitter.com/rvallonBG/status/1358241900411506688?s=20

DJExile fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG got boatraced by Minn State last weekend, lost one idiot to a 3 game suspension (well earned, to be sure), and now lost to Lake SUperior 2-1 in OT.

well, that was a fun season

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao swept by LSSU.

holy poo poo the wheels came off this season fast

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG ties Northern Mich 0-0 and now has only 4 goals in the last 5 games, two of which have included OT. christ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

well then!

https://twitter.com/BruceCiskie/status/1363323456683663360

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/1367579502398894082

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao we're going to get smoked by northern in game 1 great job you utter buffoons, you complete dullards

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Taylor Schneider hat trick woooo these idiots are coming back :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the idiots did not come back :manning:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spwrozek posted:

This was an excellent post session.

Lol I aim to please

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

fuckin lmao we're about to get eliminated by northern goddamn Michigan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao 5-1

holy poo poo what an absolutely pathetic last couple months this team had

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

hey jeff jakaitis go gently caress urself namaste

lol goddamn there's a name I haven't heard in ages

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tournaments!

legends and leaders
Minnesota wins in the final over Wisconsin 6-4

HEast - Semis
#7. Mass-Lowell @ #1 BC - 4:30PM today on NESN
#5 Providence @ UMass - 7:00PM today on NESN

Finals will be Saturday March 20th at higher seed campus

ECAC
#1 Q'Pac is through to the final on March 20th and will host either #4 Colgate or #3 St. Lawrence. That game is tomorrow night.

NCHC
NoDak wins in the final over St. Cloud 5-3.

WCHA - Semis [all games from here on are at Mankato, Semis on Friday 3/19, Finals Saturday 3/20]
Northern Mich. vs. Minn State
Bemidji State vs. LSSU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Northern Michigan is beating the absolute dogshit out of Minnesota State what the gently caress is going on :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NCAAIceHockey/status/1373455124857810949

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Schedule and TV info for the tournament. Michigan/Minn-Duluth seems like the only really intriguing matchup in the first round. ND/BC could be fun too. BU only got 15 games in this year so I have no real idea what to make of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I basically haven't followed any sports in a year. Go Blue though. Go LSSU since my brother went there.

Yeah LSSU going on a run out of nowhere would honestly be pretty fun. They haven't made the tournament in nearly 30 years and they quietly had a phenomenal year.

E: Holy poo poo Mareks Mitens logged a 1.86GAA and .933 sv% in 24 games :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jhet posted:

They won the WCHA tourney it looks like, but the WCHA isn't what it used to be. It'll be interesting to see how they do against one of the bigger programs.

I'm just waiting for the Gopher Men's team to do what they normally do and be mediocre once it really counts. LaFontaine is 21-6-0 with a 1.74 gaa and .936 save% and I still can't believe they'll do better than beating Nebraska-Omaha. It may have something to do with only having seen any of their play on the weekends they were swept by Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

Except the Gopher Women's team, they're usually pretty good.

The current iteration of the WCHA has basically been Minnesota State just heads and tails above everyone else. BG, Fightin' Nerds and maybe Bemidji are usually the battle for 2nd place.

Don't get me wrong, LSSU upsetting UMass would take a hell of an effort, and even if they pulled that off, they're not getting by Wisconsin, who by all rights should curb stomp Bemidji, but if ever there was going to be Weird poo poo in the tournament, this would be the year.

E: NoDak vs. either Duluth or Michigan should be a fabulous quarterfinal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RoastBeef posted:

Notre Dame has withdrawn.

CHN posted:

The Fighting Irish were scheduled to play Boston College on Saturday. Under NCAA protocols, tier I individuals tested upon arriving in Albany, Wednesday.

"This decision was made in consultation with the Albany County Public Health Department and the NCAA Medica Advisory Group," the NCAA said in a statement. "Because of privacy issues, we cannot provide further details."

The NCAA set a deadline of Monday at 7 p.m. for replacement teams to enter the tournament. Under the guidelines the NCAA released, the Notre Dame-Boston College game will be ruled a no-contest and Boston College will advance to the regional final on Sunday.

Notre Dame got a bid into the tournament only because St. Lawrence had to similarly withdraw. St. Lawrence won the automatic bid as ECAC Tournament champion, but because it withdrew before Monday's deadline, was able to be replaced with Notre Dame.

Can't help but wonder if that'll be the only game that gets nixed like that