Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoiler policy: This is a blind playthrough of a brand new game, so for both my sake and for others, no spoilers for the story of any kind. There are, however, three rules.

1. Anything covered in a video no longer counts as a spoiler.
2. Anything shown in OFFICIAL trailers and released screenshots do not count as spoilers.
3. All spoilers for past Kingdom Hearts games are allowed.
:siren:

With the release of the Re:Mind DLC earlier this year, it game as to a surprise to many Kingdom Hearts fans, including myself, that a new console game would release later the same year. What a lot of people didn't expect was that it would be a rhythm game. A decision that's still a bit unusual to many, even after the release. The game was, alongside the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, also released for the Nintendo Switch, a first for the series, and this will be the version I'll be playing. And to the surprise of others, we get a game that has Kairi playing a major part in the plot. Released November 11th in Japan, and the 13th worldwide, the game is still brand new and as I have not yet completed it, I can't give a full train of thought. With three videos recorded at the time of writing this, I question some of the decisions made, but that will become more apparent in the commentary.

As there is no secret ending to get, I will instead try to earn all the Stars the game has to offer. Due to the very repetitive nature of the game and the levels, I will not show every single one, showing mostly ones that have cutscenes attached.

I'm Getting Atlantica Flashbacks:
Part 1 - Fun and Fancy Free
Part 2 - Melody Time
Part 3 - Make Mine Music
Part 4 - High School Musical
Part 5 - Unreality

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Uhhh... you linked the first part of the KH3 LP, not Melody of Memory.

e: also the only audio it has is you, not sure if that's intentional.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 18, 2020

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Aerdan posted:

Uhhh... you linked the first part of the KH3 LP, not Melody of Memory.

e: also the only audio it has is you, not sure if that's intentional.
poo poo, can't believe I did that. It's fixed now.

And it doesn't, I can hear the game audio just fine.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Melody Time

Now here we're going to come across a tad bit of an issue with this playthrough. Since I was blind I had no idea but...yeah, not much happens. For this and the next two videos, the only cutscenes are just recapping events of past games. I had been hoping that maybe each time a game's recap got completed, it might shift to present day to see what Kairi, Riku, maybe even Sora, are doing. No such luck, and apparently this wont' happen at all until the last video. Makes me disappointed, but at least the playthrough isn't a long one, only gonna cap out at five videos.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Make Mine Music

It was around this time I started to really question getting all the Stars in the game. After all, there's no secret ending, so not much incentive to getting them all. Heck, I still have no idea what getting them all even unlocks. I really wanted to, but a lot of the challenges were just too hard. Maybe I could have overcome them eventually, but if I wanted to go that route, I'd probably still be trying to get some of them done now. As it stands, I've already recorded all five episodes of the playthrough, so that ship has long since sailed anyway. Bummed me out, but I guess I really didn't miss out on not getting them all.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - High School Musical

This is something I mention either in this video or the last, if I recall right, but apparently there ARE actual Disney songs in this game, I just overlooked them. There's at least three with Circle of Life, Whole New World, and Beauty and the Beast. Really nice touch, I'm almost a bit bummed nothing from Nightmare Before Christmas since that's my favorite movie. Oh well, can't have everything. Next episode is the finale, and the only one where actual new story is revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Unreality

And at long last, some new story. I really, really don't like how the game did this with only giving us new bits of story at the very last level in the game. Would have been nice if it was somehow drip-fed to us throughout the campaign, but at least we got to it. I'm still not overall sure how I feel about this Unreality business and about Yozora in general. Even for Kingdom Hearts it feels kind of off and unusual and I'm worried a bit how Nomura might handle it. But hey, he might pull it off. If anyone can, he could. Overall, fun game, though rhythm games just aren't my thing I still liked it. I do regret a bit making a playthrough given how little there was to talk about before this video. If I knew that this would be the case, I'd probably opt to skip it. But what's done is done, and I'm once more caught up with the franchise playthrough-wise. At least in terms of non-mobile games...