Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh well I feel dumb now. Was overthinking it and them being literal Australians never crossed my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Politics in Animaniacs 90s was the occasional Watergate joke and “hey it’s Bill Clinton from his one appearance on the Arsenio Hall show.” Now it’s just all over the place,begging for relevance, and taking public sides in ways that are unsettling to me even if I agree with the side. I get the feeling making fun of celebrities is now considered mean spirited, so it’s been adjusted with extra making fun of politics people, and obviously Trump is a goldmine that can’t last forever.

It’s kind of why I never followed the actors on social media. Yakko was like this inspirational king of smarmy comebacks when I was a kid, and something about the magic is lost if I hear the hot takes and everyday chatter of the guy who to me is the most essential part of that character. So to have him in-character express lamentation for America’s mass shooting problems or bemoan election hacking is like my childhood and adult values are set against each other.

And while it sounds they kinda make good on it in the next episode, I’m surprised we got a whole cartoon of tropes about the people’s revolution and did not make the obvious Marx joke.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol they put a Bioshock Infinite reference in Episode 9. A woman in a blue dress like Elizabeth's sticks her hand in a Rick and Morty portal and loses her hand, like how in the game she lost her pinky tip.

Craptacular! posted:

Politics in Animaniacs 90s was the occasional Watergate joke and “hey it’s Bill Clinton from his one appearance on the Arsenio Hall show.” Now it’s just all over the place,begging for relevance, and taking public sides in ways that are unsettling to me even if I agree with the side. I get the feeling making fun of celebrities is now considered mean spirited, so it’s been adjusted with extra making fun of politics people, and obviously Trump is a goldmine that can’t last forever.

It’s kind of why I never followed the actors on social media. Yakko was like this inspirational king of smarmy comebacks when I was a kid, and something about the magic is lost if I hear the hot takes and everyday chatter of the guy who to me is the most essential part of that character. So to have him in-character express lamentation for America’s mass shooting problems or bemoan election hacking is like my childhood and adult values are set against each other.

And while it sounds they kinda make good on it in the next episode, I’m surprised we got a whole cartoon of tropes about the people’s revolution and did not make the obvious Marx joke.

Agreed. I guess the sarcastic tone ends up making it feel smarmy and pandering, at least to me. I also feel a kind of uncanny valley about it now that you mention it. Here is childhood brought into the present and something's just not quite right about it.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 3, 2020

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

hopeandjoy posted:

Australians.

Because of their gun control after an outbreak of gun violence.

What really? The bunny episode was about gun control? I completely failed to grasp that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite gag in the reboot it song is when they're making the super hero monster they're using re-animator fluid. A reference *and* a pun!

paradoxGentleman posted:

What really? The bunny episode was about gun control? I completely failed to grasp that.

"So what was the moral of this episode?"

"It rhymes with Bun."

"Fun? Done?"

"We'll tell you when you're older."

Or something like that. It took me a second to.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

paradoxGentleman posted:

The nemesis, Dwayne LaPistole, is a parody of Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The reboot song epitomizes what the modern take on the series should be like in my mind and I hope the next season leans more in that direction.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

The ending absolutely hammers it over your head when the antagonist talks about his “right to bear buns”.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

The reboot song epitomizes what the modern take on the series should be like in my mind and I hope the next season leans more in that direction.

Yeah, as I progressed through the season, it kind of seemed to fluctuate between this level and something more regressed for kids. Overall still perhaps the best instance of "thing from your childhood is back!" to date, however.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, as I progressed through the season, it kind of seemed to fluctuate between this level and something more regressed for kids. Overall still perhaps the best instance of "thing from your childhood is back!" to date, however.

She-Ra and Ducktales exist

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xelkelvos posted:

She-Ra and Ducktales exist

A lot of posters here weren't actually alive when She-Ra and (to a lesser extent) Ducktales peaked but were more than old enough to enjoy Animaniacs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

kefkafloyd posted:

The nemesis, Dwayne LaPistole, is a parody of Wayne LaPierre, the head of the NRA.

For the first few minutes, before we realized it was a gun thing, me and my wife were wondering why Stephen King was antagonizing the Warners.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My favorite gag in the reboot it song is when they're making the super hero monster they're using re-animator fluid. A reference *and* a pun!

"So what was the moral of this episode?"

"It rhymes with Bun."

"Fun? Done?"

"We'll tell you when you're older."

Or something like that. It took me a second to.

kefkafloyd posted:

TheKingofSprings posted:

The ending absolutely hammers it over your head when the antagonist talks about his “right to bear buns”.

In my defense I am not American and English is not my first language, which causes me to miss rhymes and puns on occasion.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to finishing the last two episodes, so here's my thoughts on the season. I thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every Pinky and the Brain sketch. They all pretty much felt like an appropriately evolved version of the original show for millennials today who watched it as children before. The Warner segments, on the other hand, were often a chore to sit through, especially the longer ones. They're great when they're doing a witty song or whatever, but too often its just regressed to "the Warners torment someone who doesn't deserve it for the allotted segment time" and those shorts feel both like they're only for children and a 90's relic.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I think I might be the exact opposite of the SweetMercifulCrap!

"Some kinda Elmer Fudd knockoff" and shrimpslippers had me laughing real good.

Edit: Just got to the chickenboo part. Yes this is good.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 20, 2020

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I feel like this incredible content should be crossposted here (has sound)
https://i.imgur.com/bb4lEcn.mp4

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Still have a couple of episodes left but I basically agree that Pinky and the Brain has consistently been absolutely amazing whereas Animaniacs has been mildly funny at best and totally cringe in its lesser moments. The Russia poo poo was the worst, almost propagandistic even; it reminded me of some of the old anti-Saddam bits. The obsession with being meta was a bit much too. Weirdly enough I liked some of the unrelated random cartoons that came completely out of left field.

Sector Corrector
Nov 25, 2020

I remember this from when I was a kid. I'm curious, though, how does this stack up against Tarkovsky's Stalker (e.g. STALKER)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm finally getting around to finishing this. (I only got a chance to watch a couple episodes before now.)

The man-spreading short was pretty dumb, but I would totally watch a movie starring The Rock about an ex-gambler who has to fight a giant crab on a Mississippi riverboat to protect his wife and ailing daughter.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hulu just picked this up for a third season. Maybe they’ll bring back some of the other characters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

Hulu just picked this up for a third season. Maybe they’ll bring back some of the other characters.

Do we know when the second one’s coming out yet?

Edit: Apparently it’s coming out some time later this year.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 26, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 2 premieres November 5.

https://deadline.com/2021/08/hulu-reveals-premiere-dates-the-great-animaniacs-1234810185/

Teaser:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S9lqau42ipA

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 6, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s our first Season 2 clip:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=yWy1LginS4M

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The new season is up on Hulu now. Watched the first 2 episodes and they are good fun.

Emperor Trump (Pretty sure these are still the episodes they made before the election), Pinky & The Brain but they are doing popular sitcom pilots... :lol:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did they add any other character segments or is it still basically just the Warners + Pinky & The Brain?

Edit: So far it appears to be the latter.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 6, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The new season is up on Hulu now. Watched the first 2 episodes and they are good fun.

Emperor Trump (Pretty sure these are still the episodes they made before the election), Pinky & The Brain but they are doing popular sitcom pilots... :lol:

Given animation lead time, the scripts were likely done pre-Covid shutting the world down but the Trump Nero short (the only part I've seen so far) feels too soft given what happened after. The pedantic complaint didn't help either given there were a lot more anachronisms but I'm not watching Animaniacs for historial accuracy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Island Nation posted:

Given animation lead time, the scripts were likely done pre-Covid shutting the world down but the Trump Nero short (the only part I've seen so far) feels too soft given what happened after. The pedantic complaint didn't help either given there were a lot more anachronisms but I'm not watching Animaniacs for historial accuracy.

Apparently this and the first season were originally two halves of the same 26 episode whole, which explains why not much changed in between.

That said, since we know a third season got greenlit before the second even had a release date announced I wonder if they’ll finally start switching things up a bit then.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think more specifically that Hulu ordered two 13 episode seasons initially and they just made them all at once. So we still are only getting the Warners and Pinky & The Brain for this season... and also we are getting Animaniacs that have no idea the horrors of 2020.

The catch up song they did for season 1said they were writing it in 2018 so :lol:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Finished the new season. There was a fair bit more adult humor than before, I think. Liked that Yakko got more songs this time around. Also appreciated that there was less heavy-handed political commentary.

Still don't care for Starbox & Cindy, but at least I got another Incredible Gnome in People's Mouths.

I'm wondering if they'll ever expand the recurring cast more. The bit in the opening about "a brand new cast" is weird considering the only new character that shows up regularly is the CEO.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 8, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, no kidding about the more adult humor this time around (the first episode alone had a gag that almost rivaled “Finger Prince” from the original). The Gnome shorts feel like they’d be less out of place in a Ren & Stimpy cartoon but I guess it’s still one of the better new segments by default.

Hopefully they’ll start expanding things a bit by Season 3 though as that’d be the first one where they’d actually have had a chance to listen to fan input.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I felt called out by that pseudo-netflix episode. Romantic Comedies about serial killers is like my favorite genre.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Duck Amuck tribute wasn’t bad I’ll admit. Out of curiosity, did the original series do any Looney Tunes cameos? I’ve seen at least two this season so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 10, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"I haven't seen this many twisted characters since Steve Carrell started chasing an oscar"

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 14, 2021

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

What the heck is up with Rob Paulsen’s mic? It’s distractingly low quality on episode 4 where Yakko is noticeably quieter and muffled compared to everyone else. I imagine they were recording from home but you’d think he’d have access to decent equipment.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

J-Spot posted:

What the heck is up with Rob Paulsen’s mic? It’s distractingly low quality on episode 4 where Yakko is noticeably quieter and muffled compared to everyone else. I imagine they were recording from home but you’d think he’d have access to decent equipment.

It seems to be a problem with just that one episode, in the rest he sounds fine as far as I could tell.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

It seems to be a problem with just that one episode, in the rest he sounds fine as far as I could tell.

Good to hear that it doesn’t persist. It’s bad enough on that episode that they probably should have had him re-record it.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I found a few episodes had Yakko’s Voice being a bit muffled and off. A shame they didn’t re-record it.

Disappointed they didn’t add more new characters and skits. Certainly enjoyed most of the Warners’ cartoons. Some of the Pinky & The Brain episodes were a touch weak.

Are there any vintage episodes prior to the 90s which featured the warners?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, I believe the first two seasons were developed at about the same time so if there’s going to be any changes to the show they’ll probably come during the third as that’s the first one they’ll be making after having a chance to listen to some of the fan input

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

White Light posted:

Gonna say a couple of writers are not fans of Late Nite with Seth Meyers!

I liked Seth Meyers when I saw him a few times with someone else (though I don't watch late night), but I liked that one because I've never liked it when comedians say "hold on, I'll wait" or how David Letterman would repeat the same joke twice as if you didn't get it the first time. Ironically, though, the show itself does this. I was halfway through watching the original Animaniacs when I switched to season 1 of the reboot, Yakko grabs a sculpture on Dr. Scratchandsniff's desk, and he says "stop playing with my bust", then Yakko says "Good night, everybody!" and I laughed for a solid five minutes. Then the original show made it a recurring slightly annoying follow-up and a catch phrase. I like the new CEO. "You think I'll throw away my chance at the singularity for confectionary sugar?" is right on the mark.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 3 finally has a release date (and seems like it’s going to be the last one):

https://twitter.com/TheAnimaniacs/status/1601636415598518272