Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

A lot of people I know have had it, but none have died yet, knock on all wood everywhere.
RIP to all of those who have, christ gently caress I hope you all stay safe. And thanks Sid, you're a good egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
My grandpa died from it at the beginning of the month. I miss him every day.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Frank Frank posted:

Seriously just don't go. Your family may be pissed at you for a while, but better that than dead. Hell, lie if you have to and say you don't feel well and don't want to risk infecting others.

Oh yeah, gently caress them. I'm not going for more reasons than that. Being queer as gently caress and having started my transition im 100% loving hell naw. But also with my family outside of the one reasonable one ( my mother ) being lovely pants on head stupid about wearing masks or like not sucking each others infected air like an insane plague cult, i'm completely gone from the family scene.

Its just harrowing with the entire county being the same way. I'm getting real used to Grocery Delivery and Amazon.

Edit: Also no reason to lie. To most of them *gently caress them*. They are already real lovely to the other gay members of the family, but I always end up a real black sheep. So i've just been real honest of like "you all got each other sick and still didn't learn to be safe, why the gently caress would i come visit".

Talkc fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 19, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ardemia posted:

My grandpa died from it at the beginning of the month. I miss him every day.

my condolences

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A former neighbor of mine passed away from Covid just this week. She was a really sweet lady, but had a long list of ailments that made her very vulnerable. I feel bad for her son who just lost his father ~9 months ago to dementia and now his mom to covid. They were both great people, too.

Otherwise, it's just been a revolving door of students testing positive and then coming back 10 or 14 days or whatever the current guideline is. None of them have died.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Not family, but client's I've worked with (Im a social worker with the elderly).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Condolences to everyone ITT whose lost family and friends

My family are all in states that are still decently containing the spread, and thankfully zero of them are mask-denying rightwingers. But I still worry about my mom, in her 70s and with mild COPD from being a long term smoker.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think coronavirus might get me a promotion at this rate, here at the dick sucking factory. I wish I was kidding.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Yes but I found them a few days later wandering around in a field

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
One of the nurses aids in the hospital I used to work at died.
I hadn't spoke to him in 4 years because we were only colleagues but he was a really nice dude.

He lived alone, was out of work sick for a week and was found dead in his bed.
poo poo loving sucks.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im sorry to the grandpa and the nurses and the paramedics and anyone i missed its incredibly upsetting how many peooles lives this has affected or ended rest in peace all

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Molentik posted:

I don't know anyone who has died, but today I found out that my kidneys are hosed because of the covid I had back in March.

Holy poo poo. What does this mean for you exactly?

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I got COVID now. It's just made me really tired all the time. I deliver stuff to Hospitals and Senior centers so I gotta be careful. Mask up and glove it if you gotta.

Molentik posted:

I don't know anyone who has died, but today I found out that my kidneys are hosed because of the covid I had back in March.

Elaborate please

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A business associate of mine died less than a month after retiring.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no but i broke a rib in the short term and i lost some volumetric capacity in the long term

i'd lament it but it's not like i've played trombone since i finished college

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I lost my sister indirectly to the virus. She had been feeling off for awhile but her doctor wasn't seeing anyone during the lockdown, she goes to the hospital and they're overrun and they won't see her, she goes to an emergency care clinic and they're overrun and won't see her. She starts to feel numb in her body so she goes to the emergency room and they're overrun and won't see her, she pleads with them to check or do anything, they just listen to her symptoms and hastily write a prescription and sends her off. Dies in her sleep a few days later. I had been calling and talking to her on a regular basis and kind of got the updates in real time.

Honestly it just makes me so angry to think about, the system completely failed her and if someone had just taken a look at her they probably would have found the problem and fixed her up. You can imagine that the real COVID death numbers are quite a bit higher when you count people like that who are unable to get help due to a strained system.

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
My mom and dad caught it, he was in the hospital for 6 nights in very bad shape, I thought he was going to die.

He never had to be put on the ventilator and has made a full recovery. My mom got mild trademark symptoms only

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

So far the roni has only directly taken distant family friends. If this winter is as bad as it has been predicted to be I am starting to expect that it will start taking family and friends regardless of how serious any of us are at taking basic precautions to stay safe because of the overwhelming surges in infections.

A handful of friends have killed themselves, overdosed, or died in bad accidents this year. I would place at least two of them as being caused by the knock-on effects of covid and the stress it's putting all of us under.

For real check in on the friends and family that you care about and tell them you love them.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
There was a "COVID-19 is fake" demonstration in my small town, basically echoing everything in the "Plandemic" documentary.

All I could think of was how incredibly disrespectful it was to tell the millions of people that they lost their loved ones to a pretend disease.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I work delivering food produce to resturants, and about 7 out of 10 arent masked when I enter to drop off my delivery. Wonder where the covid numbers are coming from? :smithfrog:

zaepg fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 20, 2020

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Two of my friends lost grandparents to c19 and one of my exes lost his mom. I've known a few other people who have been sick with it but seem to have recovered OK, and I may have had it before it was being tested for. I was really sick for about 2 months, had double pneumonia, thought I was going to die. Went in for multiple nebulizer treatments. This is no bueno.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Molentik posted:

Can we get more info about this because god drat, this is terrifying. :smith:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Are you some kind of idiot op? What a stupid loving question.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
My aunt just told me that her dentist's wife died of c19

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
My roommate might. Old hs friend of mine just left the ICU yesterday and seems to be on the up and up.

Lost a friend to not-COVID pretty early on into the pandemic. Told him he could catch a ride with me up to comic con, and then comic con got cancelled. A month later he passed. His family couldn't even have a funeral for him because of all the shutdowns.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 20, 2020

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
my inlaws next door neighbor (close family friend for decades) is extremely dead from covid

we're in lombardy in northern italy and got hit real bad when it first started, 6 people on my inlaws street died

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Jesus reading stories like this makes me want to flee the country because at the rate this thing is progressing, I swear loving everyone is going to end up getting this poo poo

My wife is Japanese so maybe I can just fly there and not come back

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i wish i lost the op

not to covid, just to being flushed down a toilet

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yeah I find them tho

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AHH F/UGH posted:

Jesus reading stories like this makes me want to flee the country because at the rate this thing is progressing, I swear loving everyone is going to end up getting this poo poo

My wife is Japanese so maybe I can just fly there and not come back

you should. but not just because of coronavirus, because of the root causes why cv is so bad in this country

OTOH japan is probably not gonna let anyone from the US in

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

sigher posted:

Can we get more info about this because god drat, this is terrifying. :smith:

I had my last physical for a unrelated condition in november last year, which showed perfect kidney function. Then when the first wave hit in march (when the hospitals were overcrowded and you couldnt get tested) I got really sick with covid symptoms (trouble breathing, saturation just above the 'get to the hospital' threshold, fever) for about a week. Since then my kidneys felt off, like being really dehydrated. I drink enough water and don't drink alcohol so thats not it.

Flash forward to yesterday; I got hit by a car and had my blood checked because I mentioned the covid and kidney thing to my doctor. The test showed both covid antibodies and decreased kidney function. Thankfully not enough to require dialysis at the moment, but we don't know if they will recover to full function over time.

According to my doctor kidney problems are a common side effect of having a severe covid infection. At the moment it looks like I just grazed a bullet but it's loving scary to think about how this virus can mess you up months after you think you are in the clear.

E; I didn't have my kidneys checked earlier because I'm an idiot. Don't be an idiot.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 20, 2020

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Are you some kind of idiot op? What a stupid loving question.

is this for real? rest in peace everyone, sorry yo hear about your kidneys etc as well

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i wish i lost the op

not to covid, just to being flushed down a toilet

i love this guy

Delicate Stranger
Nov 16, 2006
my parents went to dinner with their fox news neighbors, judy and chip. at the dinner judy saw her sister (i think?) and hugged her. shortly afterwards, judy went to the hospital. my parents somehow avoided getting it, made it through a 14 day quarantine. judy was on a ventalator for six weeks and died.

i wonder if chip still watches fox news. probably. supreme court justice john roberts grew up like three blocks away. horrible neighborhood they live in. their other neighbor, the only human being to ever try to talk to me about the concept of a flat tax--i dunno if he had covid, but i do know he shot and killed his wife while she was (probably hiding) in a closet. while their kids were home. and the police left a recorder on when the guy was speaking with his attorney, so not only were all charges dropped against him, but he got to sue them for civil liberties violations. he kept custody of the kids; their both over eighteen by now. sorry, he has nothing to do with covid, i'm just trying to paint a picture of what a hosed up neighborhood it is. protip: never buy a house near a golf course, everybody that lives there is a huge motherfucker.

my neice and godchild got covid months ago. she probably caught it at a rave. mild symptoms.

colleague from the job i just quit got it. him and his man had mild/moderate symptoms and are recovering. work at home, so idk maybe he got it at the grocery store or some poo poo. he lives in north dakota, so it's hard mode to avoid it there.

i just flew out from nodak two weeks ago. i am on day 13 of my manditory 14 day quarantine here in nova scotia. no symptoms. i even had a covid test (negative) the day before i flew out (saturday before last saturday. my spouse has been quarantinig with me. nova scotians are freaking out here bc they're up to approx 20 active cases now. most recent cases seem to be from people that were contact traced from previous exposures and whom were already quarantining, but politians are contemplating a lockdown to nip it in the bud. both my spouse and i are going to do everything in our power to stay in canada permenantly after they're done with their Ph.D. Plenty of racism here, but just about everything else is tolerable. a bizzaro land where people listen to experts and follow guidelines. not totally convinced i haven't halucinated the whole fuckin' situation, honestly; maybe i'm actually on a vent and going through a deathtrip?

i told the immigration officer in toronto that it "feels like i escaped a slow moving tidal wave." with half the usa seemingly having abandoned the idea of factual reality about the election, i feel that even more strongly.

my dad sent around an email this week implying that they're still going to have thanksgiving? my dad and mom are both in their 70s. my mom has lupus (like, actually) and my dad had his prostate removed last summer, they barely fuckin' dodged the bullet at that dinner, and they're still contemplating having any family over at all... i'm mad at them. only thing going right in that situation is that my dad bicycles like 5,000 miles per season and have way better lungs and heart health than i do, and basically no other health concerns. best possible 'rona mitigation for someone his age, but he probably wouldn't pull through all the same. my mom would die quickly.

good luck, everybody. mask-it or casket. fuckin' wash yr fuckin' filthy mitts. stay the gently caress home. do not under any circumstances visit family for the holidays. hope to see y'all alive and well on the other side.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Klyith posted:

you should. but not just because of coronavirus, because of the root causes why cv is so bad in this country

OTOH japan is probably not gonna let anyone from the US in

I mean America sucks rear end so that's not an issue but luckily as a spouse of a Japanese national I can get a spouse visa. They just don't let in tourists right now at all, I would have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Flatmate died in April. She had had a stroke about 5 months before, and while she still had full muscle control she had no sensation in half of her body.
She went from being admitted to ICU to critical over a week, then passed away. The whole thing became very real after that.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Diorama posted:

Flatmate died in April. She had had a stroke about 5 months before, and while she still had full muscle control she had no sensation in half of her body.
She went from being admitted to ICU to critical over a week, then passed away. The whole thing became very real after that.

drat im so sorry to hear that rest in peace

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
OP during the black death, as it kills one third of Europe: has anyone heard of this bubonic plague thing? What's the deal with that? Crazy stuff.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Babylon Astronaut posted:

OP during the black death, as it kills one third of Europe: has anyone heard of this bubonic plague thing? What's the deal with that? Crazy stuff.

I don't think you grasp the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Nope and I have yet to meet anyone who knows anyone whos gotten it either