Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Lt Dan Ice Cream posted:

My buddy at work died in August. He was about to retire too. He was 63 years old, black, diabetic, asthma. It killed him quick.

Then another guy at work caught it a couple weeks later and died. I didn't know him that well but I knew he was an anti masker. It still sucks that he died, but people at work who weren't taking it seriously started taking it seriously.

Now my mother has it, or had it. She got it in the hospital with a broken hip and leg. She was asymptomatic but now she has fluid built up in her chest and congested heart failure.

hope he rests in peace and kicks the white mans rear end in heaven. Also hope your mom ends up OK!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Call Your Grandma posted:

I mean, it sounds like you didn't actually get it and all the people you came into contact with during that time period didn't mysteriously also get Covid. But on the other hand everybody knows that Chinapeople are always vectors so who's to say what the truth is really?

That's what I'm saying, man

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know anyone who has gotten it yet. My friend's granpa died of it. Also my coworker's girlfriend's dad died of it but my coworker still acts like a moron about COVID.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
2nd cousins (my father's cousins) died a week ago, 4ish days apart. both were super paranoid about being safe, now their kids (not sure what that makes me in the familial org, i never understood that poo poo anyways) have it and they'll probably lose their lives as well.

death comes for us all.

anyway, thats my story :tipshat:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My friend’s grandmother died from it back in early summer. Another friend of mine is currently at Abbott in Minneapolis on oxygen, but not a vent yet, thankfully.

RIP to all those mentioned itt.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

One of my best friends got it but survived. He's a heart surgeon who has type 2 diabetes and is older (65) and had a mild case that thankfully didn't require hospitalization (thanks largely to his fiancé who took care of him), but three of his nurses got it and died. There was an outbreak at his practice and they aren't sure if one of the employees or a patient brought it in.

I think I had a very mild case in July. No cough/sore throat/shortness of breath/fever, but just extreme fatigue and a headache that lasted about two weeks. There was one instance where my blood pressure loving shot up to like 160/100, which has never happened and I thought I was going to have a heart attack or a stroke. Wasn't able to get a test because I didn't have any of the classic symptoms and tests/care were being rationed for those who did have symptoms. The hospitals at that point were overflowing in my part of Texas and even going there was basically a death sentence.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

A couple of close friends died. My boss may yet die from it. He's survived but his lungs are really messed up and he has problems getting enough oxygen.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Darth Brooks posted:

A couple of close friends died. My boss may yet die from it. He's survived but his lungs are really messed up and he has problems getting enough oxygen.

im so sorry you lost some friends. i hope your boss recovers well. rest in peace

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a friend of my uncle died. after beating cancer three years ago he caught it from his son, who just had to keep going to parties and bars and now gets to live with the knowledge that his reckless behavior killed his father. making things worse is that this guy took care of his paraplegic wife, who now needs a full-time care giver, so now either the son steps up and takes care of her, or he gets to watch his inheritance evaporate

the father of a long-time friend of mine wound up hospitalized with it as well, although he survived and was discharged after 12 days. he needs oxygen now and may never fully recover. he and his wife were of the "oh it's fine, we're not worried" variety who would go out to dinner and were lax when it came to masking up

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

drat surviving cancer and dying from covid thats horrible rest in peace.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My wife's coworker. She was a sweet lady who made a quilt for our new baby.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I lost my anal virginity to covid

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

dr.acula posted:

Sorry for your loss but we all are getting pretty bored and experimental in quarantine I guess

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

dr.acula posted:

Usually people just lick the door knob but I guess you had to take it to the next level

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Willias posted:

Thankfully, haven't caught it, and don't know of anyone that's died from it.

I've been nervous because Christmas is coming, and I work for a major shipping company in a city with one of their largest hubs. I'm an IT employee, and since March I've been working from home, and have been keeping to myself mostly because hey, if you don't run into people who have it, you can't catch it right? But with Christmas coming, my employer over the past few years has been calling out as many of its management and IT employees as it can to work in the main operation. Basically I go from being a programmer to being a package handler for most December leading up to Christmas. It sucks because it's very physical work, and well, typing poo poo into a computer is not.

Well, that starts next Tuesday, and the hub has been actually rone of the bigger hotspots for the virus in the entire city. I'm nervous.

Ii actually reported my hub to corporate. The guard shack guards don't wear masks, and there's a little note written on plexiglass window saying it's okay not to wear a mask. I see over a hundred people every day at work without masks. Meanwhile, my state requires them, and corporate says there's a zero tolerance policy. loving where? Shut down my whole building. My immediate coworker who I share a computer with told me he has covid last night. Guess I'll just die!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

deadeyez posted:

Ii actually reported my hub to corporate. The guard shack guards don't wear masks, and there's a little note written on plexiglass window saying it's okay not to wear a mask. I see over a hundred people every day at work without masks. Meanwhile, my state requires them, and corporate says there's a zero tolerance policy. loving where? Shut down my whole building. My immediate coworker who I share a computer with told me he has covid last night. Guess I'll just die!

Take pictures of poo poo like people not wearing masks and that note if possible.

Corporate has a "zero-tolerance policy" because it's a lawsuit risk. If you get sick and need to be hospitalized, knock on wood, that's your proof that their policy didn't mean poo poo and they were operating an unsafe environment. Your lawsuit chances probably suck even with documentation, but maybe it's enough ammo to get them to cover the hospital bill so you're not destitute.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

deadeyez posted:

rest in peace

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a friend of mine who tested positive died of a heroin overdose while quarantined right after getting their trump check

I give them major points for dying in the most modern american way possible

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

empty whippet box posted:

a friend of mine who tested positive died of a heroin overdose while quarantined right after getting their trump check

I give them major points for dying in the most modern american way possible

ah rrst in peace

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Colonel Cancer posted:

Usually people just lick the door knob but I guess you had to take it to the next level

I've seen that video. It's weird.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bedframe knobs are at a better height for me

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

big thanks to op for this great thread

and condolences to everyone who has lost someone dear to them

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

deadeyez posted:

When I say "one of the largest", I mean "the largest" for my company. While I know earlier this year, we got into some trouble due to not enforcing social distancing and mask wearing, the Democrat governor here is mostly powerless due to a state congress that's filled with people picked by our mostly chud filled state (and soon to be completely powerless once January rolls around). poo poo isn't going to get shut down, no matter what, considering this hub sends packages to and from almost every other hub in the US, and the company is one of the largest employers in the entire state.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Of the people I know who got it thus far, I got hit the hardest and I lived. Tbh I kinda wish I'd just died in the hospital but it wasn't in the cards. Decent odds the other guy in my hospital room is dead by now. He said he no longer knew how long he'd been in there, and he was undergoing a bunch of experimental poo poo because nothing seemed to improve his condition and he was constantly in the danger zone oxygen-wise. I hope one of those things worked and he got out of there, but I guess I'll never know

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I haven’t lost anyone yet, loving thankfully. I’m goddamned terrified because 90 percent of the people in my life are across the ocean and while I can legally go back to the US, no issue, no quarantine required :distonk: , it’s a Russian roulette, and this is me coming from Sweden, who is also having a real one regarding handling this pandemic.

Masking isn’t required outside of certain situations privately mandated and I know why legally we haven’t shut down and done all the things neighboring countries have done. I get it. I’ve had it explained a million times, I’ve read up about it in Swedish and English. But seeing the results of that, even as it gets worse and will get horrific during the holidays, the death by a thousand “””””””recommendations””””””” that are not laws but are also, maybe legally enforceable, who knows???, cute little reminders to try to keep distance when I’m crowded like salmon in the supermarket or the subway, and my mind going about life as if nothing is happening but knowing that holy poo poo, it is happening, everything is happening. loving ELON MUSK came to a castle outside of my town and got Covid THERE, at a legally allowable private party for rich fart huffers, went back to the US and had his weird tweets about tests or whatever and so here we are. Totally legal.

I had a miserable flu a few weeks back that I tested negative for, my boyfriend got the same flu about two weeks back, tested negative. Having to deal with that fear of waiting for the results, even that was enough, let alone the weird breathing issues we still have from it.

My office was WFH for three or so months until June when they decided that they had enough of that, so everyone back in! There is no option, no choice, you have to go! I still do! I get to hear a million advisories about the necessity of working from home if I’m able to, but no actual enforceable mechanism to continue doing so. The higher ups decide whether employees risk lives for a job we’ve demonstrably proven we can do from home. But you know, we need to be crowded into one big room for work because of morale. But thank god we still get to have our employee Xmas party along with the monthly parties the employees have. Even if the big meanie government won’t let us have it in a restaurant because of the party size limits, we can have it privately catered and still be crammed into rooms for that.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Of the people I know who got it thus far, I got hit the hardest and I lived. Tbh I kinda wish I'd just died in the hospital but it wasn't in the cards. Decent odds the other guy in my hospital room is dead by now. He said he no longer knew how long he'd been in there, and he was undergoing a bunch of experimental poo poo because nothing seemed to improve his condition and he was constantly in the danger zone oxygen-wise. I hope one of those things worked and he got out of there, but I guess I'll never know

So what was it like

Give us the full monty from beginning to end

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

So what was it like

Give us the full monty from beginning to end

I don't think anybody would want to read a full account of it because it's extremely E/N overall, but the lowest point was definitely having to make a Sophie's choice over which end of myself to position over the toilet while simultaneously making GBS threads and vomiting

I chose wrong

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I lost my grampa. he wandered out to buy toilet paper and never returned.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I don't think anybody would want to read a full account of it because it's extremely E/N overall, but the lowest point was definitely having to make a Sophie's choice over which end of myself to position over the toilet while simultaneously making GBS threads and vomiting

I chose wrong

:cheers:

i remember that one. i was lucky, i could reach my shower from sitting on the toilet and it had a drain cover that could be disassembled so i could easily hose my vomit into the sewer without chunks getting stuck in the grate

otoh i was also unlucky because it hadn't been properly classified at that point so all it was was "not influenza" (or, as the doctor put it, 新中国ウイルス), so not only did i not get pto but i had to go back to work as a carrier once i was able to get out of bed on my own two feet. but i wash my hands a lot anyway and wore a mask out of courtesy and my coworkers didn't get sick so i guess it was ok.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I chose wrong

Easy - poo poo in the toilet, puke on the floor and your feet. That's what I did when I got food poisoning.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

Easy - poo poo in the toilet, puke on the floor and your feet. That's what I did when I got food poisoning.

I was throwing up a single grape and hadn't otherwise eaten in days so I made the snap decision that I could just clench. Didn't work out!!

The White Dragon posted:

:cheers:

i remember that one. i was lucky, i could reach my shower from sitting on the toilet and it had a drain cover that could be disassembled so i could easily hose my vomit into the sewer without chunks getting stuck in the grate

drat, that seems like a good setup. I was still in the hospital so I had no control over the furnishings. I did end up having to frantically scrub drops of liquid poo poo off the floor while wheezing with monitoring boxes dangling from me though because I was so ashamed and didn't want the nurse to know. It got on the cool fluffy socks they gave me too, and I had to covertly sneak back out and throw them away in the trash

It also somehow got on my dumb hospital gown despite the fact I'd taken it off and put it on the other side of the room when I went in. I spent the rest of my stay there shirtless

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I wasn’t aware that food poisoning-like symptoms such as not being able to eat or drink and making GBS threads out nothing were part of COVID

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

Sorry you went through this. I was unaware they share rooms with covid patients, not a good sign.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

I've been having chest tightness, general fatigue and trouble breathing. No fever, headaches, or coughs yet.

Im going in tomorrow to get tested.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 23, 2020

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I'm in Australia and my mate is married to this lovely Iranian girl. Her dad (in Iran) died of the crow because they had no ICU bed available. poo poo is absolutely hosed in Iran and there is a very real possibility of all the medical staff dying of it

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 23, 2020

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Not directly of COVID, but a close friend was an "excess death": He had appendicitis and let it go way too long. I won't add more details because I don't want anyone digging up this post in litigation or something. Basically, fear of covid was a factor that lead to him not getting medical care in a timely manner. This is one of those deal where a few hours would have made this a funny story, not a goddamn tragedy.

I had to speak at his funeral on discord yesterday.

Feels bad, man.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Zeinin posted:

Not directly of COVID, but a close friend was an "excess death": He had appendicitis and let it go way too long. I won't add more details because I don't want anyone digging up this post in litigation or something. Basically, fear of covid was a factor that lead to him not getting medical care in a timely manner. This is one of those deal where a few hours would have made this a funny story, not a goddamn tragedy.

I had to speak at his funeral on discord yesterday.

Feels bad, man.

ah Jesus Christ I'm so sorry that happened, I've only really considered comorbidity and such being an issue that's terrible, I've avoided the hospital for my bipolar but its not something that's going to kill me. rest in peace :(

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Found out my aunt has it. When my mom talked to her over the phone she sounded pretty sick but was saying that she felt...alright? I guess it's more of a "I feel like garbage but I was expecting to feel even worse" sort of thing. Then again, she's only 5 or 6 days in to it. My uncle is a cancer survivor, too, so everyone in the house has to be extra careful. poo poo sucks. Hope I can come back with a better update :smith:

Edit to add: my cousin (son of the same aunt) apparently found the cure to covid stealing away your sense of smell---a big ol' bong rip* :2bong:

*[citation needed]

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 24, 2020

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
My uncle. He actually drove into a lake and drowned but he had covid too. So it's 50/50. Pro tip: keep something in you car to break a window. That way when you're hammered drunk and drive into a lake, you can possibly get out.

cstang fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

cstang posted:

My uncle. He actually drove into a lake and drowned but he had covid too. So it's 50/50. Pro tip: keep something in you car to break a window. That way when you're hammered drunk and drive into a lake, you can possibly get out.

a hip flask perhaps?