Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
None of these kids should probably be playing but here we are.

quote:

While this past draft class was defined by a lack of consensus at the top of the board, the 2021 draft will have a big prize waiting for the lucky team that nabs the No. 1 overall pick. Incoming Oklahoma State guard Cade Cunningham checks every box as the type of oversized playmaker teams covet. Cunningham enters the season as a strong favorite to eventually be the first pick, but there’s also an intriguing group of contenders behind him who will be spread out between college programs, the new G League initiative for blue chip high school players, and international teams

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/11/19/21567033/nba-mock-draft-2021-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley

quote:

1. Cade Cunningham, G, Oklahoma State

Cunningham feels like the type of player who would be a legitimate No. 1 overall prospect in almost any NBA draft. At 6’6, Cunningham is a big and strong lead guard whose top attribute might be his overall feel for the game. Cunningham doesn’t have outlier, dunk contest-worthy explosiveness, but he can make every read on the floor while scoring efficiently himself. He absolutely dominated the Nike EYBL circuit as a rising senior, posting ridiculous 66 percent true shooting, flashing remarkable passing chops, and forcing his way to the foul line at will. His swing skill will be his three-point shot, but he’s already showing plenty of improvement in that area over the last year.

While the 2020 NBA Draft didn’t have a consensus No. 1 prospect, Cunningham will become that player a year from now even in a class that includes bigger names with more mixtape hype. His game is perfectly suited for the modern NBA, and the team that gets him should have the league’s next foundational young star.

2. Brandon Boston, G, Kentucky

Boston transferred from his high school in suburban Atlanta to play his final year of prep ball with Bronny James on Los Angeles-based powerhouse Sierra Canyon. Now he’s the centerpiece of John Calipari’s top-ranked recruiting class, and looks like he might be even more talented than his RSCI placement at No. 7 overall in the incoming freshman class. A skinny 6’6 guard, Boston is a burgeoning perimeter scorer with tantalizing glimpses of creation potential. He’s already able to pair together multiple dribble crossovers to create space, and seems like a smart, capable defender, too. After grading out well during his final year of EYBL play in advanced metrics like box score plus-minus, Boston deserves to be recognized as a top-five prospect in this class.

3. Evan Mobley, C, USC

Mobley is a consensus top three recruit in the RSCI who joins his older brother Isaiah on the Trojans this season. A skinny 6’11 big man, the younger Mobley has some truly special movement skills for a player his size. Down the line he could project as someone who could defend smaller players on the perimeter while still protecting the rim, but his high center of gravity will lead to questions on if he can hold up down-low long term. What would really make Mobley scary is if his perimeter offensive skills continue to develop. While Mobley doesn’t have the strengths (namely: strength) of the lottery pick he’s replacing in the middle for USC, Onyeka Okongwu, he does have some outlier abilities that make him worthy of top-three consideration going into the year.

Lets talk about a good draft class for the next 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tennessee is going to have two lottery picks this season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Still can't believe okst successfully bribed cade

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Do not take this super seriously (it is definitely way too many freshman in the lottery for one) but for funsies:

1. Cade Cunningham, Oklahoma State

2. BJ Boston, Kentucky
3. Ziaire Williams, Stanford
4. Keon Johnson, Tennessee

5. Jonathan Kuminga, G-League
6. Jaden Springer, Tennessee
7. Jalen Johnson, Duke
8. Evan Mobley, USC
9. Jalen Green, G-League

10. Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
11. Moses Moody, Arkansas
12. Sharife Cooper, Auburn
13. Caleb Love, UNC
14. Roko Prkacin, Croatia
15. Usman Garuba, Real Madrid
16. Keyontae Johnson, Florida

17. Scottie Barnes, Florida State
18. Jared Butler, Baylor
19. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova
20. Greg Brown, Texas
21. Josh Christopher, Arizona St
22. David Johnson, Louisville
23. Henry Coleman, Duke

24. Terrance Clarke, Kentucky
25. Franz Wagner, Michigan
26. Romeo Weems, DePaul
27. Aaron Henry, Michigan State
28. Deuce McBride, West Virgina
29. Spencer Jones, Stanford
30. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 19, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I watched kuminga film a couple weeks ago, and I love him. Wish he was a year older and in the 2020 class!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Evan Mobley's narrow frame is such a huge bummer. I think he'll be able to be a really solid helping rim protector, but he'll always have a rough time when big centers are ramming their butts into him in the post. Not that every player has to be flawless, but it sucks to have a weakness that will always be exploitable.

also, i'm going to re-post my OP of my thread here since it was 45 minutes I'll never get back

With the completion of the disappointing 2020 NBA draft, we look ahead to the much anticipated class of exciting young prospects who make up the class of 2021. Whether these young ballers will be allowed to take the court or not this year, and whether or not we choose to actually watch non-professional basketball games if they do occur, this is a place to scrutinize and celebrate these hoopers. Without further ado, let's take a look at some of the prospects mocked at the top of the class (and bios shamelessly stolen from a mock draft).

Cade Cunningham - PG - Oklahoma State
Age - 19 ----- Weight - 213 lbs ----- Height - 6'7" ----- Wingspan - 6'11.5"

Cade is sticking with his commitment to OK State, despite the post season ban. He does everything on the court, scoring, assisting, defending, and he completely controls the pace of the game. He’s a star.
Cade is, currently, by far the #1 prospect in the class. He is the idealized version of the "Big Point Guard" player, and will become a force to be reckoned with once he gets a buzz cut. Cade doesn't really have any glaring holes in his game; he's a good athlete, makes good decisions, defends, has a good handle while driving, etc. Went 25-0 in his senior year at Monteverde as a senior, so you know he loves to win.

Jalen Green - SG - G League
Age - 18 ----- Weight - 180 lbs ----- Height - 6'6" ----- Wingspan - 6'7.5"

Jalen Green is taking his talents to the G League for one year before jumping to the NBA. He’s a no.1 overall type of talent who will give Cade a run for that top spot.
Jalen is sort of a prototypical scoring wing. He's an explosive athlete, takes it to the hole, is a strong perimeter defender, and will improve drastically as a jump shooter once he gets a haircut. His average wingspan and limited playmaking skills will probably limit him to playing the shooting guard position in the NBA.

Evan Mobley - C - USC
Age - 19 ----- Weight - 195 lbs ----- Height - 7'0" ----- Wingspan - 7'4"

Evan is a freakishly athletic player for a 7-footer and he makes the game look so easy. He’s got upside on top of his upside but needs to add a lot of lower body strength.
Evan is a taller Nerlens Noel without the ACL tear and with a sensible non-obstructing haircut.

Jonathan Kuminga - SF/PF - G League
Age - 18 ----- Weight - 217 lbs ----- Height - 6'8" ----- Wingspan - 6'11"

A big, bouncy athlete with elite physical tools and an emerging game. Has a chance to be a special defender at the NBA level and is already a great dunker and transition player.
Jonathan is an explosive forward from the Congo who will never say no to taking a shot. He's still a developing player, but shows strong signs at being able to eventually effectively handle on drives and shoot the 3 in addition to continuing to dunk all over everyone. I don't think his hair is threatening to impede his jumper.

Ziaire Williams - SF - Stanford
Age - 18 ----- Weight - 190 lbs ----- Height - 6'8" ----- Wingspan - 6'10.5"

An exceptional open court athlete with intriguing upside who is developing his perimeter skills.
Sort of reminds me of how Josh Jackson was projected as a prospect. Good shooter despite the state of his hair.

Jalen Johnson - SG/SF - Duke
Age - 18 ----- Weight - 215 lbs ----- Height - 6'8" ----- Wingspan - 6'10.5"

With an NBA ready body and supreme athleticism Johnson is rocketing up our 2021 mock. He’s a prototypical point/wing with great court vision, scoring ability and versatility.
The requisite Duke guy

Fanbo Zeng - PF - Gonzaga
Age - 18 ----- Weight - 190 lbs ----- Height - 6'9" ----- Wingspan - NA

Fanbo Zeng, the No. 33 prospect in the Class of 2022, has committed to play for Gonzaga, he told ESPN. Zeng, who will look to reclassify to 2021, is considered arguably the most promising Chinese NBA prospect in a decade.
He likes to dunk that thing way more than Zhou Qi ever did, if he puts on like 40 pounds he might be able to do it in the NBA. I'm holding out hope.

Draft Resources
Don't feel like spending dozens of hours watching college basketball? No problem! There's a limitless supply of nerds on the internet who will and then write articles or podcast about the guys. Whenever you hear a mention of a guy with big hands or "does all of the little things", go onto youtube and look up some clips yourself! Easy!

Prep2Pro
https://twitter.com/Prep2ProPod
https://twitter.com/Ben_Pfeifer_
https://twitter.com/maxacarlin
Two toddlers who have each spent half of their waking lives watching and dissecting college basketball prospects. Their pod is pretty new, but they're dedicated to recording new episodes whenever their dorm roommates can leave the room for a couple of hours.

Sam Vecenie - The Athletic
https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie
Sam is a draft guru who hosts the Game Theory podcast and can't help himself from bringing on guests like Mgrads, Matt Pennie, and Rashad Phillips to cohost with him. He has just recently moved to Australia, so there's a chance we might be able to get some better analysis on guys who go to the NBA instead of college or the G League going forward.

Prospect Development Web
https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=24373441&fan_landing=true
Awesome awesome looooooong google doc breakdowns. Tired of listening to Manscaped ads in your prospect scouting pieces? Not gonna find any of those here. Chip a tip into the patreon

Kevin O'Connor
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA
Kevin is the designated draft guy of The Ringer, and does a good job in spite of that. He's willing to go against the media grain when it comes to big boards, with choices like ranking Jayson Tatum above Lonzo Ball, Killian Hayes at the top of his 2020 board, and Luka at the #1 spot for 2018.

Tankathon
http://www.tankathon.com
lovely team got you down? Perform some self care by clicking a button until your team gets the #1 draft pick and you can begin playing pretend-GM, planning out your offseason moves to build around Cade

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 22, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like him but yeah he's skinny. Really good ball skills and crazy mobile for someone that tall though. Also just looked super bored last year. He could definitely get into that second tier behind Cade if he's more engaged this year.

I don't like the Noel comparison, he's much skilled on offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'll copy and past this from the last thread, some of my favorite non-Cade guys

BJ Boston: really skinny but an incredibly polished scorer with great feel. He has great handle for his size and can get to a step back or pull up jumper pretty much whenever he wants, and he's very disruptive on defense with his length. Going to Kentucky next year.

Keon Johnson: super strong and athletic 6'6" wing who is young for the class and has improved dramatically over the last year or so. Jumper is still developing but it's getting better and he's a dominant slasher and finisher because of the strength and leaping ability. Shows some ability to run a pick and roll too, and is a very active and disruptive defender. Going to Tennessee.

Jaden Springer: one of the youngest players in the class, an incredibly polished 2 way combo guard for his age. Not the most athletic player, but strong with a very polished handle and can score from all three levels and run some pick and roll. Also going to Tennessee which should be one of the most fun teams in the country.

Ziaire Williams: skinny but an amazing outside shooter for 6'7" with great handles. Struggles to finish inside because of his lack of strength but he should be one of the best shooters in the class with plus size and length for a wing. Going to Stanford, who is going to have two of the best 6'7" + shooters in the world between him and Spencer Jones, who is one of my favorite returning college prospects.

Jalen Suggs: PG with great strength and athleticism, he was also a 5* prospect as a dual threat QB and it shows. Very good shooter and passer when he can get into the paint, but his handle needs some work and might limit him a bit. Great defensive instincts which combined with his strength and athleticism make him really disruptive on that end. Going to Gonzaga as their most high profile recruit ever, which rules.

Moses Moody: 6'5"ish shooting guard. Hard to scout because he played on a loaded Montverde team with Cade and Scottie Barnes but looks like a ready made 3 and D prospect and might have some untapped potential as an all around scorer. Going to Arkansas.

Jalen Johnson and Scottie Barnes: If They Shoot guys. Two of the best passer on earth taller than 6'7". Jalen especially is a great all around playmaker with great ball skills and finishing. PD described him as Ben Simmons if he was like 10% less extreme in every respect and I think that's a great take, he is at least very willing to shoot even if he's pretty bad at it. Scottie's overall offensive game isn't quite as good and his shot might be even more broken, but he is also an absolute defensive genius who credibly guarded 1-5 in high school. He probably won't do that in the NBA but a plus defender at 2-4 is definitely in play. Jalen is going to Duke and Scottie is going to Florida State which is the most perfect player/team fit possible.

Sharif Cooper: like 5'10" maybe but oh my god he is so much fun. Insanely quick with great handles and scoring instincts. Gets his shot blocked a lot but he can get to the paint pretty much whenever he wants. Shot has improved a lot over the last year. Good passer. He's going to Auburn which should be fun because he'll immediately get a ton of offensive freedom and Pearl knows how to get the best out of guys

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think of Mojave King?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think of Mojave King?

I haven't watched him at all but I think Ross Homan at the Stepien likes him and he's usually right about youth prospects. Supposed to be a really good shooter, I think. NBL is pretty easy to watch so I'm going to try to catch him and Josh Giddey

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Couple recent 2021 things

First here is Ross Homan at the Stepien, who I think is arguably the best guy out there when it comes to projecting high school prospects to the NBA with his 2021 write up:

https://twitter.com/Ross_homan1/status/1331016833672097800?s=19

If you have the athletic here is Sam Vecenie's first mock of the year. Think he's way too low on Jaden Springer. Not surprised he's on the low end with Jalen Johnson but it's a little weird when he has Scottie Barnes so high when I think they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses with Barnes being better on D but Jalen clearly having more scoring upside. Barnes did find the perfect college fit though which could help.

He also does an annoying thing he does a lot which is present a pretty standard Draft Twitter opinion as though he is the first person who has ever thought it, in this case putting Keon Johnson high. I know you follow Ross, Sam, and he was on Keon as an early lottery pick like a year ago. Don't pretend you are way out on a limb by yourself.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1331216313440559106?s=19

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is the age-old scouting question, but do you guys value on court tape over stats? or the other way around. I know it's all context-dependent too but I'm curious to see what y'all think

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Carlosologist posted:

this is the age-old scouting question, but do you guys value on court tape over stats? or the other way around. I know it's all context-dependent too but I'm curious to see what y'all think

You use one to inform the other.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah that's the boring answer but it's true. I don't think one is more important than the other, you need both and they give each other context. There's definitely some level of statistical success I'd want to see a guy hit and stats can be useful for highlighting potentially interesting guys, but you still want to actually watch them

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Same with Metrics or advanced stats. Without regular stats or the eyeball test, they don't actually say much.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

While you're watching the Oklahoma State Texas Arlington game tomorrow to watch Cade's debut, keep an eye out on his teammate Matthew-Alexander Monfrieffe, who is Canadian

I have high hopes, even though I could only find 2 shot highlight mixtaps where he takes 2 jumpshots total and makes layups over chumps

I'm upset that we'll never match the 2019 levels of Canadians in the draft again :(

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 25, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will not keep an eye out for him and you can't make me

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

four star recruit? that's a lot of stars! almost as many as a five star recruit!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

if i had to choose only one to have access to i’d rather have tape because college stats can often be misleading since they lack context

i think to get the best idea of how a player actually plays and fits in to basketball schema you really have to watch them; for example, john wall averaged 6.5 assists per game in college to 4 turnovers which is a pretty miserable a/to ratio for a guy who’s supposed to be an excellent passer. it was misleading because wall would pass to where guys were supposed to be on cuts which is actually desirable for an nba prospect even if on paper it seems like it’s hurting his team

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

Take in as little information as you can then wildly speculate.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Cade looking good. He's got a really smooth pull up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
rest of the team stinks but if cade's weakness is supposed to be his jumper then lol

(i think it's been fine for awhile, high school percentages always stink)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Okc's future looking good 😊

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Metapod posted:

Okc's future looking good 😊

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah, Cade is great. OSU...looks really bad

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I know it's his trademark thing but the hair looks awful. At least he's gluing it backwards so it doesn't completely interfere with his Natural Shooting Motion

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Think Less posted:

Yeah, Cade is great. OSU...looks really bad

osu will randomly nab the occasional 4* recruit (and lebryan nash, who, uh, kinda sucked, and marcus smart) but otherwise recruiting to stillwater is really tough unless your brother is coaching there

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Watched ASU for a bit a Marvin Bagley's brother Marcus looks really good. I know PD Web and Mike Gribanov are high on him but I hadn't really watched him a ton before. Super athletic 3/4 who seems like he has a really nice jumper, could see him rising fast if he keeps playing well.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 26, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can Remy Martin Nick Young his way into the NBA?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Can Remy Martin Nick Young his way into the NBA?

He's like six inches shorter so probably not but he'll be good this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you need something to watch on Thanksgiving that is not the lions Gonzaga is playing Kansas right now. Jalen Suggs has looked great.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Declan MacManus posted:

osu will randomly nab the occasional 4* recruit (and lebryan nash, who, uh, kinda sucked, and marcus smart) but otherwise recruiting to stillwater is really tough unless your brother is coaching there

One of my earliest sports watching memories is OSU getting blown out by UCLA in the final four

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Suggs was a monster down the stretch and I am ready to declare him the best Jalen in this draft.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Is there a website or something that has a "This draft prospect will be on National TV Today!"

I only watch one college ball team and they don't play anyone worth a poo poo. I could just turn on every ESPN game, but be great if there was a daily "Watch this game to see these 3 guys who will be picks" type deal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Athanatos posted:

Is there a website or something that has a "This draft prospect will be on National TV Today!"

I only watch one college ball team and they don't play anyone worth a poo poo. I could just turn on every ESPN game, but be great if there was a daily "Watch this game to see these 3 guys who will be picks" type deal.

draftexpress/givony used to do this for big matchups on twitter but i dunno if they still do

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Athanatos posted:

i cant answer your question, but marcus bagley, broter of marvin, is playing in the Arizona state villanova (no prospects allowed) game in 10 minutes, and it's on Canadian national tv

e: fockin hell, they have remy martin too? and he scored a lot of points last night? hell,

Katana_Warrior fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

remy martin is a pretty marginal nba prospect but his name is fuckin remy martin so i get it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Martin is 6'0" shooting guard who isn't an elite shooter. He's a fun college player but he's maybe the third best prospect for ASU. Josh Christopher was a pretty big time high school prospect too, he was a bigger recruit than Bagley. SG with good size and athleticism who can really score but runs pretty hot and cold.

Villanova has Jeremiah Robinson-Earl who would have been drafted this year and is one of the best returning prospects. He's a really good defensive combo forward who can pass and handle well for a 4 but needs to show a more consistent jumper. And Bryan Antoine was a big time recruit last year but barely played because he had a shoulder injury that cost him most of camp and it's hard for young guys to play early at Villanova.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 27, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I do not like him but it there are people on the internet who think he's going to take the league by storm in ASU land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Martin is like the third best prospect for ASU, Josh Christopher was a pretty big time high school prospect too, he was a bigger recruit than Bagley.

yeah, josh christopher is shooting the hell out of the ball tonight. negative name tools though. I like Verge's corey brewer-esque defensive flailing