Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think of Mojave King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I know it's his trademark thing but the hair looks awful. At least he's gluing it backwards so it doesn't completely interfere with his Natural Shooting Motion

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That type of dude is born to be on a spoiler NCAA tournament team. I love the way his look made me think he was wearing jean shorts for a second.

Cade is really good. I'm thinking he might be some kind of aztec sun priest reincarnated because of his spiky halo look

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is pure fantasy, but Cade Cunningham looks like the second coming of Grant Hill, and this is the first year the Pistons are in a position to have the first round pick since the grant hill year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Hearing PD Webb tear Emoni Bates up on the second to last Prep2Pro broke my heart. Poor high hipped, no change of direction Emoni

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do you guys have any thoughts about Allen Flanigan?

Oh, and what's with all this Jaden Springer hubub?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A random draft puzzler I'm puzzling on, let's say Detroit drops from 2 to 3 in the lottery, and have Kuminga and Suggs available. Do they avoid Kuminga because they have Grant, and just take Suggs and trade Killian Hayes for the 25th pick or what have you?

Brass tacks, without having an established pg, is Kuminga good enough to ignore last year's guy? From what I'm watching, he might be.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/KateBDoll/status/1367113075070013444?s=19

E: he comped him to josh richardson ahahaha

I'm guessing he just watched OK vs OK State

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

In one of those he scored 40! But I would guess at most he saw the hype for that and then watched the follow up where Cade took like one shot in the first half and didn't have a great line, but even then he was getting to the basket at will down the stretch and was the biggest reason they took the lead for good. More likely he's watched like three youtube clips and Russillo said something dumb one time. He barely watches the NBA anymore he's definitely not watching full college games

Game 2 is what I was thinking, just laying back and setting his teammates up until he had to walk through Not Mo Harkless's brother and a bunch of other big upperclassmen. If you watched the first half without the context of ok state having really bad players you might leave unimpressed.

I think a lot of it falls into the trap of holding elite athleticism as the linchpin of top prospecthood. But if you look at the top 15 guys in the NBA, only half of them are galaxy grade run jump guys.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Algund Eenboom posted:

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1367146540016562177

https://twitter.com/SpartanRyan/status/1367174748246048768

Please go 2 the gleague emoni. You dont have to keep promises to tom izzo, they dont count

Prematurely judging this year's g league prospects makes me think an easy money bucket man looks better against ncaa competition. Of course if his family needs more money than Michigan state is paying, so be it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I dunno I have been pretty impressed with the ignite guys this year, especially since the g-league is probably the toughest it's ever been because there are fewer teams and the talent is more concentrated. Jalen Green started slow but otherwise he's looked really good and Bates is a better prospect as a scorer. His defense is gonna look really really bad though. Also Izzo's record with top tier prospects is, uh, mixed. JJJ was ultimately fine but Izzo used him in a really stupid way.

I appreciate you for serving as the voice of reason to my unplotted idle thoughts and feelings. It's good to be stopped from floating away in a sweet phantasy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It sounds like 2022 will be the first draft where high schoolers are eligible. The fated double draft. Get picks or die trying.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think about Quentin Grimes?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm just starting to catch up on suggs video. would it be crazy to say his ideal scenario is ending up as the guard version of Andre iguodala?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kirios posted:

He kind of reminds me more of a Chauncey Billups. Kind of a do everything point guard but nothing elite.

I don't have a Chauncey player archetype in my head, to me he's just the most clutch guy (other than Joe Johnson) who made everyone better no matter what. I'll have to think about it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's very good at the one thing Iggy was notably missing from his game (shooting) so I don't think this really works.

Fair enough. I should have just said right place/right time/ make it look easy in a complimentary but not minimal role guy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think of Kai Jones

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Probably the biggest boom or bust guy in the draft but I think you could take him anywhere after like 6 and not be reaching too much. There just aren't many guys that size with those kinds of movement skills and athleticism and he flashes a lot of skill in terms of his handle and shooting touch. But it was still mostly flashes and he wasn't good at all as a freshman so there's plenty of reason for concern.

Yeah I think that's true. You watch him in games and he's just a classic rim running center, but if you cut up his whole season he's the poor man's Evan Mobley.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

the other thing about the g-league is that nobody there is trying to climb ranks or secure a second coaching contract by winning games; the express goal is player development

it'll be interesting to see where kuminga and green are in their development relative to the rest of the non-cade rookies next season

It's interesting how a lot of intl players who are more like top 500 than top 50 have come to the NCAA over the last several years, because 4 years of practice and playing with a focus on improvement is more than they'll get on an international team who wants to win tomorrow and doesn't care about prospects because they know they'll leave for the NBA.

That was followed by this new overseas push for top guys, and the NBA responded in only about 3 years, to provide cash and coaching so that top prospects aren't scattered far afield. The cost savings for scouting trips is probably worth it alone.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The clips of Giddey I've seen are entertaining, he's like Boris Diaw without the strength and special french flair, just sort of tumbling to the hoop from the three point line and throwing passes over his back

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Katana_Warrior posted:

he took him out of high school to make him play professionally in the lithuania league as a 17 year old

He came into the NBA as one of the most talented passers alive. He went from being considered a non threat at the rim at 18 to being a wobbledy wiggle bucket man at 19. He went from suspect shot with weird form at 18 to good nba shooter at 19. Whatever is happening in his life seems to have been great for him. Even if you want to give his NBL team credit for exposing him to real basketball to put things together for him, his dad's plan gave him incredible court vision. Lavar was right. He succeeded. Their mom seems to have been a good counterbalance to all the Lavar BS

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It seems pretty clear that euro prospects don't get on PEDs as early as American prospects. Just give him a little bit of time, that's all.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I can't make any sort of good or bad argument, but I'd say in general what I like about Jalen Green is that he sees where he needs to go and somehow his body just appears there, if you watch in slow motion he takes a very funny scarecrow with arms flapping in the wind route, but he's there first and easy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I've enjoyed watching Scottie Barnes clips for the last hour or so. He really makes ballhandlers regret getting up in the morning, and he never seems to get bumped off a spot.

MourningView posted:

Do not get this comparison at all, Franz was arguably the best defensive player in the country this year and his biggest weakness is that he's way too timid on offense which was like the exact opposite of Stauskas. He's also way more athletic.

His offense isn't as impactful but he doesn't really have any glaring holes on that end. He's at least pretty good at everything and is a really good passer for his size. Seems like he has a lot of potential as a shooter but either just doesn't feel confident in his shot or just isn't wired to hunt it aggressively because he seem reluctant to fire unless he's wide open.

Yeah despite being siblings he's a different player. Mo Wagner's case for the NBA was pick n pop big, Franz is modern high skilled 3/4. He's a bit more athletic than his brother, not shockingly so, but skills have outweighed similar concerns for some prospects over the last 5 years. I don't know if he's a lottery pick but he could be an NBA player for sure, he's not a fringe guy like his brother.

Josh Giddey-- Is the NBL just going to get a crazy passing savant every year now?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 5, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Where's our Orlando man? Are these big Mo Bamba games a mirage or what?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Modern day draft legend PD Web on the DBB podcast with Laz Jackson, talking about this draft, a bit about Killian Hayes's fit with Cade, Mobley v Jaren Jackson, Yves Pons, and some other interesting stuff, worth a listen I'd say. https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2021/5/6/22422145/pistons-vs-everybody-primary-equity-pd-web-killian-hayes-cade-cunningham-jalen-green

He thinks Scottie Barnes is a straight 5, talked about how he has no pop, and how he hasn't improved after being exposed to high level training

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 9, 2021

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'll third it. The top kids get filtered away from real schools and into academically dubious christian academies with 82 students, most of whom are just there to give the impression it's a real school and not a front for a country traveling elite basketball team. If you're going to remove the lie from that situation and compensate kids in a way that can seriously change their families lives, that's not bad.

I don't understand why investors would be investing, though. I don't think prep basketball, even if it's pro prep basketball will ever be a lucrative draw. The NBA has market power to refuse any kind of large buyout. Maybe the idea is to make it so that 10 players in every draft are getting paid a buyout, and say make 15m a year? Is it about getting sponsorship money from shoe companies?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
To those guys' credit, they make those comps when guys are juniors in hs and don't usually change them unless they're top 5 picks.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I've watched games from his junior year and at no point would Jabari Parker be one of the first like 100 players I'd think of as a comp.

Yeah. I don't know wht it's supposed to mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuJj4p0SaOU I enjoyed that this Josh Giddey video starts with him barely dunking and then falling flat on his face

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jalen's aau friends probably told him about the massive amount of great sex they were having with beautiful girls at college while Jalen was stuck in a bubble with Brian Shaw putting his hands on his shoulders to teach him footwork

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Forgive me if this is just stating the obvious, but Josh Giddey's posture is horrible. That would be the first thing that the training staff we need to work on with him. He's got back and knee injury written all over him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

The dokmo award for college player who probably won't be drafted but should be based solely on his name goes to Phlandrous Fleming Junior.

CSU also has Malik Battle, while not being one of one is my favorite last name for guards

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Since there was a recent PD Web stream about him, I figured I might as well ask, what do you guys think of Kessler Edwards and his weird shot?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Changing my Paul Millsap Award to Isaiah Todd. I like him a lot. His potential as PnP guy is incredible. High ft%. Don't love his ability to drive. Or lack thereof.

That is a rough acronym. I'd stick to spelling it out

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Go9202poDhBLdvUVZenG2fVXJjA3ZVj8TridlYHT-8E/edit
Petey Web's new Kuminga piece is up. Some comments he makes about role and usage make me think that either the ignite setup is too new to put their players into ideal conditions for success or maybe they were putting them in roles teams wanted to see in a way that may not have been to their benefit

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
People are saying it's inevitably going to be corrected since it looks like they used James Bouknight's exact measurements for Cooper

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
HELLL. YEAH BAABY DETROIT BASKETBALLL

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

alansmithee posted:

Well that's good at least, they need a ton of help. Hopefully they can get someone to overpay for Grant this offseason...

No way in hell is that happening

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Most Jerami Grant rumors I see look a lot like wishful thinking from non-Detroit fans.

A team that has zero ability to attract free agents immediately flipping its first 'big' free agent signing since the dumars years would be like taking a suicide pill, or hiring sam hinkie. The only way he's leaving is if he sits the season out, not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

I feel like NO should take Moody. Am I crazy here? Also, I think he should be available here, not going 7. THATS crazy.

They don't need him if he's not going to start finishing strong. Needs to learn to attack without fear