Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I think there may have been a mixup D: i have now received a second book, intended for someone who had wanted a children's book. possibly I can forward this on without ruining the surprise if the mystery can be solved.

edit: this has been figured out, don't worry no one's gift has gone missing!

derp fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A gift wrapped box arrived!

With a hand written note!

:aaa: Thanks Santa Jack B Nimble, I will!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Thanks, Secret Santa!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

A gift wrapped box arrived!

Yay! Getting excited about books together is a real joy, and I get that here in the book barn far more than from my IRL friends, so you're very welcome.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

Ani posted:

Thanks, Secret Santa!

:cool:

I hope you enjoy them! If you like Slade House, it is a semi-spinoff of another of his books, Bone Clocks.

Wolf in White Van is a pretty unique read! If you like it you should check out the author's band, the Mountain Goats. Good starter album is probably Sunset Tree.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm a little late posting this, but I have received my books!

Excellent picks! I've been wanting to upgrade my paperback The Unconsoled for a while, and Sleeping Beauty looks like some fantastic pulp. Very happy with this year's present.

The Unconsoled came with a couple of surprises inside as well:

:kiddo:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm a little late posting this, but I have received my books!

Excellent picks! I've been wanting to upgrade my paperback The Unconsoled for a while, and Sleeping Beauty looks like some fantastic pulp. Very happy with this year's present.

The Unconsoled came with a couple of surprises inside as well:

:kiddo:

:D

I'm a little bummed you already had The Unconsoled but glad I got the hardback in any event! I'm midway through and am just absolutely loving it, so was a quick decision when I found it on the shelf. I was thrilled when the used copy had that little bit of random epherma in there, probably my favorite part of a used book and was happy to send it on.

The pulp pick was purely based on that striking cover, but I'm interested if it's as 70's groovy as it sounds.

Happy holidays :)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The last of my gift packages arrived today!

(please forgive the terrible phone photography)

It's a nice collection of classic mystery novels! The Maltese Falcon is in a slightly funky format -- I think from being a POD version of an ebook? -- but it's perfectly readable, which is the important part. I started Strong Poison last night and it's a ton of fun. Thank you so much, Ani!

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I got a little delayed in sending the packages due to personal stuff, but finally got to do so today! Hopefully it will arrive before the deadline! :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks (again) santa! This looks like it's going to be great, and is exactly the sort of thing im into. And will fill a gap in my knowledge as well!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got my package sent. I know it's late. I got held up waiting for books I ordered that still haven't arrived – I ended up just packing my own copies, which will be replaced when the ones I ordered eventually show up.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 22, 2020

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thanks yet again, NTRabbit, you really overdid it :o definitely needed more Pynchon in my life (i've only read lot 49) and Aksyonov is new to me, but looks like it is definitely my kind of thing. and even some music to go with it? thank you! :D

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

WHAT THE gently caress

HOW

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Many thanks to my Secret Santa Hieronymous Alloy for these three wonderful books; a collection of local legends is exactly what I wanted; the third is more mysterious, I can tell you that it has a map of Spain inside the cover; I'm going to start on that tonight!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack B Nimble posted:

Many thanks to my Secret Santa Hieronymous Alloy for these three wonderful books; a collection of local legends is exactly what I wanted; the third is more mysterious, I can tell you that it has a map of Spain inside the cover; I'm going to start on that tonight!

I wanted to make sure you got something worldwide, so the third is a nonfiction biography of a Spanish legend, El Cordobes. Before I read it I abhorred bullfighting; afterwards I at least understood why bullfighting was a thing, so to speak. It does a really good job of laying out the history and culture that combined to make bullfighters celebrities, etc.

The other two books are the real prizes though.

Charleston Ghosts is the classic collection of Charleston ghost stories that every house in South Carolina had a copy of back in the 1970's, before ghost stories went relatively mainstream. It's all the most widely-known local legends, as they were told back in the 20th century when people told stories to each other without trying to juice the story for their podcast or youtube hits.

Doctor to the Dead is the real deep cut though.

John Bennett was a Charleston literary figure -- he was a Newberry Honor recipient in 1929 -- who had a deep interest in local folklore well before that was a respectable field. He collected all the stories in this book himself by going around and talking to the descendants of Charleston slaves and gathering their stories. All the tales in the book are "real" in that they were collected, not fabricated, and often can be tied to specific places and events -- e.g., the tale of the Mermaid Riot can be documented not just to a specific time, but a specific apothecary and a specific house which was the apothecary's shop then and still stands today.

The book was considered scandalous when Bennett first collected the stories:

quote:

Speaking to the Federation of Women’s Clubs in the St. John’s Hotel in February 1908, Bennett titled his program “Grotesque Legends of Charleston.”

“He chose words to send a chill up the spines of the ladies,” Greene wrote.

Bennett wrote privately that he felt he’d gotten a cold reception: Only one man shook his hand after his lecture, and no women offered him a compliment. His worst fears were confirmed the next day when he read the reviews in the News and Courier and Evening Post, the arbiters of white elite opinion in Charleston.

A headline in the afternoon edition described Bennett’s talk as “a startlingly realistic exposition of Revolting Savage Fancies.” Editor Tom Waring tore into Bennett:

Mr. John Bennett’s paper was a piece of bizarre, wonderfully imaginative, forcibly literal and, it must be said, inappropriate literary exposition … It was rich — not to say reeking — with the distorted and horrible and forbidden fancies of the savage nature still latent in the negro … It was realistic in the extreme and to many it was positively revolting.

Two anonymous “Charleston ladies” delivered withering bon mots in letters to the editor the same day.

“By all means, let us be ignorant,” one wrote. “It is not necessary to go to the sewer for information.”

Bennett had planned to use his talk as a launching pad for his next book project, a collection of folk stories. But without the support of the local press or the novel-buying gentry, his confidence faltered and he fell into another bout of major depression and drug addiction, according to Greene.

Which ended up delaying the publication of the book some forty-odd years, and it didn't see formal publication until the 1940's, when the collection of folklore had become a bit more respectable.

One word of warning: Bennet tries to transcribe local Gullah dialect and speech patterns in several stories. It's . . .grating to a modern ear, and is probably why this collection isn't better known. But all indications are that he was trying to transcribe, not mock. In a sense it's the price paid for the book's existence; it was ahead of its time by collecting these tales at all, and if it hadn't been, many of these stories would have been lost utterly, because nobody else was writing them down at all.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 28, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Thanks to my secret santa Wizzardstaff for these books, it looks right up my alley. I've always wanted to read some Ursula Le Guin, and now I have a good starting point. :)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

military cervix posted:

Thanks to my secret santa Wizzardstaff for these books, it looks right up my alley. I've always wanted to read some Ursula Le Guin, and now I have a good starting point. :)

I hope you like them! The reading list you provided was helpful in narrowing down something that might be to your taste. If nothing else, it saved you from getting a duplicate copy of The Handmaid's Tale.

If you want another starting point for Le Guin then the compilation The Wind's Twelve Quarters contains my two favorite short stories from any author: Semley's Necklace and The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

wizzardstaff posted:

I hope you like them! The reading list you provided was helpful in narrowing down something that might be to your taste. If nothing else, it saved you from getting a duplicate copy of The Handmaid's Tale.

If you want another starting point for Le Guin then the compilation The Wind's Twelve Quarters contains my two favorite short stories from any author: Semley's Necklace and The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

Funny you should say that, because I already have two copies of The Handmaid's tale from such a mishap. ;)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am in this year!

I like . . books. I like to be surprised. I like happy endings and good vibes. I like books about platonic male friendships (Aubrey/Maturin, Frodo/Sam, Master Li and Number Ten Ox; Steinbeck's Cannery Row; Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood). I like well-done nonfiction on interesting topics. I like genre fiction if it has something unique and interesting about it. I like giving books to people.

Sham bam bam went above and beyond and sent me so much stuff that it took the post office extra long to ship it all, presumably because they had to arrange the logistics

This stuff looks amazing! Some of it isn't even books!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Good to see that everything arrived intact after so long. Please read, if nothing else, the Mayan story about the lady who ate the sausage and also the one about the priest who wanted the wealth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Good to see that everything arrived intact after so long. Please read, if nothing else, the Mayan story about the lady who ate the sausage and also the one about the priest who wanted the wealth.

do i put the syrup on the books or do I take it like a shot before reading

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's for the CDs.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
One package has been waylaid, but after weeks of patience from both parties, the Santa has proceeded with a backup plan, and this last set of books should be arriving before long.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

A package showed up yesterday! Norway to Toronto did take some time. Maybe the furthest I have received some mail from.

Santa: thank you very much! These are great choices. The only Saunders I have read is Pastoralia, which I loved, and I definitely would have picked this up at some point. Witcher is the exact series I was thinking of reading next now that I have finished the available Stormlight Archives. ALSO: that chocolate was extremely good! I wish I had more.

I believe this is package #1 that was assumed lost. If another one does indeed show up, I will make a few extra donations to the tiny free libraries around here to spread around the generosity.

Thanks again!

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

A package showed up yesterday! Norway to Toronto did take some time. Maybe the furthest I have received some mail from.

Santa: thank you very much! These are great choices. The only Saunders I have read is Pastoralia, which I loved, and I definitely would have picked this up at some point. Witcher is the exact series I was thinking of reading next now that I have finished the available Stormlight Archives. ALSO: that chocolate was extremely good! I wish I had more.

I believe this is package #1 that was assumed lost. If another one does indeed show up, I will make a few extra donations to the tiny free libraries around here to spread around the generosity.

Thanks again!

I forgot to look in this thread after it went out of the first page of my bookmarks, so my response (much like everything else) is a bit delayed! But I'm really glad you liked it. :) I assumed that that package was lost, so there is indeed more stuff on the way!

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

military cervix posted:

I forgot to look in this thread after it went out of the first page of my bookmarks, so my response (much like everything else) is a bit delayed! But I'm really glad you liked it. :) I assumed that that package was lost, so there is indeed more stuff on the way!

Got 3 more packages! Really feel lucky - these are great choices. Nothing I've read and truly six books I'd like to. Also, great covers. Thank you, again!

(I read The Vegetarian over the weekend and it was wild)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Merry Christmas, one and all.