Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i say swears online posted:

one side has all the money op

The left challenges the political-economic order and the far right doesn't, it doesn't matter whether any billionaires are hiding SS tats because the guys with the SS tats can be useful idiots for them or at least are not a problem that their class interest is threatened by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i say swears online posted:

i can't tell if you agree or disagree with my statement

I was pointing out that it doesn't actually matter whether far right movements have money or not, despite agreeing with what I think is your underlying premise that far right movements are much more acceptable to monied interests than leftist ones. The issue goes beyond whether the rich are members of or are providing material support (direct or indirect) to any specific far right movement. Rich people must ensure the destruction or failure of the left in order to remain rich, the same is not so for the far right.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

Where do you live that left political tendencies are "violently repressed"?

My mayor tear gassed an entire neighborhood over a dozen times this summer to try to halt left political demonstrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

I mean, if you have any better ideas, I'm all ears! :allears:

Here's one; don't poo poo on localism and ground-level organizing as being some kind of dead end. It's quite literally saving people's lives right now and if anything is ever going to get better, the movement to force those changes is going to originate in those activities and formations that right now are out trying to keep homeless folks from freezing to death and such.

And if it fails to bring about revolutionary change in society, I guess we'll have helped our neighbors survive for no reason at all.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on it!! It's good, it is necessary, it gets people talking and organized. But the point is it cannot be the be-all, end-all. Ground-level organizing and localism is not going to bring about society-wide change from the bottom up. The way it is being done now, the best it could possibly do is precisely that - immediate assistance to those in need right now, and the temporary creation of a bunker or a little island against the tides of a greater capitalist society that is free to simply flow around it. It does not threaten capitalism, it depends on capitalism.

Several of the mutual aid groups I support are explicitly about threatening capitalism, but you don't threaten capitalism anymore by Doing a Vanguardism that immediately gets either co-opted by the Democrats or the organizers end up in a mysterious two rounds to the back of the head and car set on fire suicide situation. The ways of the past don't work in our current circumstances. Swarming tactics are the only way forward in my opinion.