Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Problem description: Recently my partner's computer started chugging while playing games, after doing some initial troubleshooting (looking for background stuff taking up an inordinate amount of RAM, etc) I noticed that the total physical memory listed in system information is 8GB while the installed physical memory is listed as 16GB.

E: Upon further investigation it has hardware reserved listed at 8GB, and I'm not sure why. There's no IGPU on this CPU so there's no settings in the BIOS to change it.

Attempted fixes: Checked BIOS to see if both sticks were recognized in there (they are), swapped sticks to B1 and B2 instead of A1 and A2. Installed known-good RAM from another PC. Considering flashing BIOS, but want to exhaust other options first.

Recent changes: No voluntary changes, possible that automatic Windows updates happened.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 Professional

System specs: ASRock B450M, Ryzen 2600X, 16GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3000, NVidia GTX970, Rosewill Capstone G Series 650W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU