Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm down to my last rear end eating coins

Feh that's nothin in MY day the coins had beej on 'em! Gimme five bj's for a sesterci you'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Did anyone pick up them mummies or do I have to do everything myself over here

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nobody will accept my limp handjob coins 😢

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Headin down to the city walls for a snack with Theo.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think the real thing to pay attention to is that Attice will spread her legs for less than the cost of a good meal.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HungryMedusa posted:

I kinda want to buy a roman gently caress coin

E: found one that sold for $35,000. Maybe in my next life I will be rich enough to afford one but alas

A "This Guy Fucks" challenge coin.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was recently trying to find the exact quote of the graffiti by that guy who made bread on April 19th and I found all these twee internet posts going like "Today, April 19th, it's the anniversary of when the guy made bread."

It doesn't work like that! We use a different calendar!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Article on the Pompeii mummies

https://www.cnet.com/news/pompeiians-healthy-before-volcanic-death-ct-scans-reveal/

quote:

Perhaps the most famous volcanic catastrophe in all of history was the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD. It was an extraordinarily violent event: The volcano exploded, heaving ash, stones and fumes 33 kilometres (20.5 miles) into the air, and ejecting crushed pumice and lava at a rate of 1.5 million tons per second.

The eruption lasted 18 hours, spewing several billion tons of debris. This fell on the nearby towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum and several smaller settlements. While many citizens were able to evacuate and survive, others took shelter in buildings. This move was ultimately to prove fatal. As the ash and pumice accumulated on rooftops, the buildings collapsed under the weight, burying and suffocating those inside. The bodies were sealed inside when lava flowed and hardened over the top of the ash and pumice.

Herculaneum, which was the closer of the two cities, was buried under 23 metres (75.4ft) of material, including lava flows. Pompeii was buried under 2.5-3 metres (8.2-9.8ft) of material, consisting mainly of pumice and ash. Both cities were considered too damaged to rebuild and were simply abandoned, the bodies left buried.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Turns out there were other ways to die during this event as well!

Though there's been recent speculation he was crushed post-mortum it's a cooler to think this dude got fuckin OWNED as he was already fleeing

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Bula Vinaka posted:

House and Office of Volusius Luvencus: Secundus says hello to his Prima, wherever she is. I ask, my mistress, that you love me.

Eww dude your cousin? Really?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was recently trying to find the exact quote of the graffiti by that guy who made bread on April 19th and I found all these twee internet posts going like "Today, April 19th, it's the anniversary of when the guy made bread."

It doesn't work like that! We use a different calendar!

The original inscription is
"XIII K(alendas) MAIAS PANEM FECI"

"13th day before the kalends of May" is indeed what they called April 19th (they were real hosed up and counted down the days of the months to the "nones" of the current month, then to the ides, then to the kalends, ie the start, of the next month).

In our current calendar counting back to 79 AD that would be *checks notes* April 17th.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was thinking more of how we're on the Gregorian calendar now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Though there's been recent speculation he was crushed post-mortum it's a cooler to think this dude got fuckin OWNED as he was already fleeing

I think this was better quicker way to go than getting boiled alive by the pyroclastic flow.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

I think this was better quicker way to go than getting boiled alive by the pyroclastic flow.

The good news is, that poo poo is so hot, and moves so fast, that your death is pretty much instant, and you wouldn't even have a chance to feel anything.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Big Beef City posted:

lol this is like something outta far side

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Voice of Labor posted:

the gently caress kind of manual labor do you have to be enslaved to for it to completely gently caress your back by age 18-23?

preload at UPS

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Johnny Aztec posted:

The good news is, that poo poo is so hot, and moves so fast, that your death is pretty much instant, and you wouldn't even have a chance to feel anything.

They got suffocated under hot ash first from the article a few posts up. :black101:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

They got suffocated under hot ash first from the article a few posts up. :black101:

Some of the recovered got cooked alive so quickly that their brains boiled inside their skulls so fast that the pressure couldn't be released and their heads literally exploded from their steamed brains expanding as they were encased.

...I'd say death was as fairly quick as you could hope in that case.

"Your braincase is literally a popcorn kernal in an instant" probably isn't the worse way to go, especially if you barely see it coming after a few seconds of confusion.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 24, 2020

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Pompeii and Herculaneum victims got the best fate any human could hope for: a quick relatively painless death followed by people in the far future examining and memorializing them and exhibiting them for tourists forever. Do you want to just loving fade away or something??

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
steamed brains ... it's more of a pompeii expression

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i'm not even going to search, i'm absolutely certain there is some funeral service available to give you the best shot at becoming a fossil. like "give us money, we bury your carcass in a big glob of mud and pack it tight"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Big Beef City posted:

Some of the recovered got cooked alive so quickly that their brains boiled inside their skulls so fast that the pressure couldn't be released and their heads literally exploded from their steamed brains expanding as they were encased.

I literally made the :stonk: face as I read this.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I literally made the :stonk: face as I read this.

Imagine the horrifying alternative. This was nature's act of mercy.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Bula Vinaka posted:

House of Orpheus: I have buggered men

Pretty cool that the archetypical SA shitpost was even being made in ancient Pompeii

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
If I'm remembering correctly, the name of the main protagonist in pokemon, ash catchem, was inspired by the lives lost in the vesuvias eruption

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The Pompeii and Herculaneum victims got the best fate any human could hope for: a quick relatively painless death followed by people in the far future examining and memorializing them and exhibiting them for tourists forever. Do you want to just loving fade away or something??

Death jacker is the true hero of Pompeii

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Laterite posted:

steamed brains ... it's more of a pompeii expression

Funny, I'm from Herculaneum and I've never been flash-boiled alive.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Check your head, you may have had the misfortune of being crushed under falling debris.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I really like the idea of using graffiti to just remark about what you’re doing in the moment. I mean I guess it’s just like social media on a literal wall, but it’s got some class.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I was thinking more of how we're on the Gregorian calendar now

"years" dont actually exist. the earth orbits the sun a little different each time it goes around, we just hardly notice because of our puny human time scale. being on the same date is arbitrary regardless of what calendar system you are using.

i feel safe celebrating "guy makes bread day" on april 19th

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Free Cheese posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, the name of the main protagonist in pokemon, ash catchem, was inspired by the lives lost in the vesuvias eruption

geodude is based on a true story

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I really like the idea of using graffiti to just remark about what you’re doing in the moment. I mean I guess it’s just like social media on a literal wall, but it’s got some class.

you must be in awe whenever you see the writing on the stall in bathrooms

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Robo Reagan posted:

you must be in awe whenever you see the writing on the stall in bathrooms

No because that’s always just dumb poo poo about sucking dicks.

Nobody writes about baking bread in a bathroom stall.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
People have been posting on social media for a long time, in ancient times the "media" was the walls of buildings

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

No because that’s always just dumb poo poo about sucking dicks.

Nobody writes about baking bread in a bathroom stall.

what if sucking dicks is what you're doing in the moment?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I reach out with trembling hand and reverently touch the words on the bathroom stall, "JIMMY SUCKD OFF 3 DUDEZ HERE"

qui primus venerit, primus verat I whisper

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Loden Taylor posted:

what if sucking dicks is what you're doing in the moment?

Do that while baking bread and you’ve got something worth recording for posterity.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Do that while baking bread and you’ve got something worth recording for posterity.

i would like to buy your "baking bread and sucking dicks" coin, its the last one i need for my collection

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

You gotta do something while the bread proofs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
gotta get the yeast from somewhere