Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bula Vinaka posted:

Atrium of the House of Pinarius: If anyone does not believe in Venus, they should gaze at my girlfriend

She's from Gallia Cisalpina. You wouldn't know her.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Herculaneum bar, next to a drawing of a phallus: Handle with care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mooey Cow posted:

You can't really compare the value to money "today" due to different economic systems and vastly different production methods, but other finds at Pompeii lists a new tunic as costing 15 sestertii, a donkey 500, a slave at an auction 6252, and a loaf of bread half a sestertius

otoh if you wanted pork on the table it was 4+ sestertii

a dead dude's bar tab in herculaneum:

quote:

Some nuts …? coins; drinks: 14 coins; lard: 2 coins; bread: 3 coins; three meat cutlets: 12 coins; four sausages: 8 coins. Total: 51 coins

So at least one guy looked up at the incoming wall of broiling hot ash and was like "well at least I don't have to pay for last nundinae's party at the thermae!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

Are you kidding me?

Do you think the romans used coinage like we use paper money?

he is making the point that all currency systems are an arbitrary concept that is far more to do with psychology than the material the coins are made from, even back in the age when they used gold and silver

which is true, but also it's real dumb to say "lol romans were so dumb, not understanding modern economic theory" when one of the biggest problems with their currency, and total economy in general, was the combo of political power + massive wealth at the top preventing economically useful, even vital, actions from being taken.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Big Beef City posted:

Roman bars had big clay pots in the back that had all kinds of ramps and perches built in and the top lifted off, so you could keep tons in there at a go. Reach in, scoop out mice per order and do them fresh, clean the bedding for them at once, etc.

Holy moley I've known the whole romans ate mice as a appetizer thing for a long time but I never saw that before

(though these were probably not in your average roman bar. only the fanciest ones.)

also I always thought they were eating like tiny house mice, but no. they only ate one particular type of mouse, still known as the "edible dormouse", which is more the size of a big hamster or small squirrel. that's a more reasonable thing to eat.