Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Problem description: Windows in randomly running two instances of Settings, despite me never running it at all. I can go to bed with all programs closed, get up, go to work, come home, wake up my computer, and open Task Manager to see two instances of Settings, despite not having touched the computer since I went to bed. I don't leave programs running in the background when I'm not using my computer, and I've had it happen while using it, wether I'm playing games or just surfing the internet. As a matter of fact, it happened again while I was typing up this post.

Here's a screenshot of it from when I got home from work today:

Attempted fixes: I've tried using End Task, but it seems to ignore that. If I use Switch To, it's random if it will actually do anything. About half the time it just minimizes Task Manager, then selecting the other instance and clicking Switch To will open Settings. I can close it from there, and both instances are removed from Task Manager. I don't know what else to do.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Edition: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Version: 2004; OS Build: 19041.630; Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

System specs: AMD Black Edition FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core Socket AM3-Plus CPU, Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 Motherboard, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 TI Video Card, 2x Patriot Signature 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 RAM, Stealth X Stream 2 600w PSU. I don't remember what my HDDs are, other than 2x 3TB SATA drives.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU