Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
ICBM is a new real time strategy game developed by SoftWarWare and K-Project and published by Slitherine Ltd. ICBM of course is short for Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile. Nukes!

The game has been inspired by the 1980's movie Wargames and has a strong resemblance to the game DEFCON, where you could wage World War 3 with ships, submarines, planes and missiles. ICBM adds to the global thermonuclear warfare with research and development features, a globe map, spy satellites and other good stuff. You can play single player against AI opponents or online multiplayer. From my first impressions seeing this, it looks very much like DEFCON with improvements and more details in everything.

Steam posted:
"ICBM is a real-time strategy game of nuclear destruction. Research new technologies, build up your nuclear stockpile and use a combination of ships, planes and missiles to strike at the heart of your opponents’ cities while keeping your population safe from harm.

Take command of one of the continents of the world and prepare yourself for global nuclear conflict. It is your job to ensure the complete and total destruction of your enemies, while you do all in your power to prevent enemy retaliation against your peace-loving citizens.

Research and develop your nuclear arsenal. Will you focus on developing new technologies, or mass producing existing ones? It takes a true strategist to research and build a balanced force that can deal with a multitude of enemy tactics.

In ICBM, you can try out different strategies every time you play. Will you overwhelm your enemy with intercontinental ballistic missiles? Use bombers to deliver massive payloads? Or maybe use submarines to deliver nukes from the least expected locations? These strategies and more can all be used to ensure victory. ICBM has 20 unit types and 12 nuclear weapon types to use, plus 44 technologies to explore.

Take the time to carefully plan your next move, or just nuke your opponents as fast as you can. Increase the contamination speed for a swift and painless nuclear war, or slow it down for an endless nightmare. In ICBM, you can constantly adjust the game speed to your own pace.

Use diplomacy to gain strategic advantages. Share information, technologies or even the location of your nukes with your allies to wage war against common enemies. Be aware however that these alliances do not have to last and you might find yourself fending off attacks by your former friends.

Reduce micro-management by making use of the strike planner. Set up detailed plans in advance, targeting specific structures, units and cities and synchronise your ICBM launches to overwhelm the enemies defences.

Play with up to seven other players in multiplayer matches. Play in free for all, fixed teams or coop games, all while improving your ELO score as you climb the leaderboard.

Up for something different? ICBM comes with full modding support out of the box. Add or change maps, units, technologies, rules, graphics and much more."

At the moment Steam is showing Very Positive user opinions.
The game came out November 17th 2020. Here's a Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178220/ICBM/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Game fun. Could use some improvements, but it scratches the old DEFCON itch. MIRVs + false warheads is practically unstoppable unless you have a DD off enemy coast to shoot down the missile before it deploys.

I still haven't tried multiplayer.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
This game is only under 17€ in price, not too much. If only I had more time to play, I would like trying multiplayer with goons. :sigh: Maybe over the Christmas holidays I might find time.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Game is really good. I love that you can set up a nuclear war between all the French speaking countries and all the Spanish speaking ones.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My condolences to a single surviving dude wandering the irradiated ruins of New York.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Group of friends all bought the game for group game nights, and I got one of the gift copies. Seems kind of neat, but I bounced off the very awkward tutorial stuff and haven't gotten into regular gameplay. The focus on constant pausing and micromanaging doesn't seem like it would work well in a multiplayer environment. Planning on watching some play tonight, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

SkyeAuroline posted:

Group of friends all bought the game for group game nights, and I got one of the gift copies. Seems kind of neat, but I bounced off the very awkward tutorial stuff and haven't gotten into regular gameplay. The focus on constant pausing and micromanaging doesn't seem like it would work well in a multiplayer environment. Planning on watching some play tonight, though.

You might pause and micromanage more while learning in the tutorials and against AI than in multiplayer, I think. Once the poop hits the turbopropeller, this game looks pretty hectic. (It is a Bear analogy). :byobear::megadeath::murder: