Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I don't think Trump is winning a 2024 Republican primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think Trump is winning a 2024 Republican primary.

Who's even left to oppose him that the base doesn't hate, or is a Trumpist themselves?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

Who's even left to oppose him that the base doesn't hate, or is a Trumpist themselves?

The Rock'll run on a platform of unity as a reasonable Republican and pull a ton of Independents/temporarily embarrassed Republicans, old wrestling/movie fans, and low interest casual voters.

In short, it'll be noone you'd expect. Three years is too far out.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Oracle posted:

The Rock'll run on a platform of unity as a reasonable Republican and pull a ton of Independents/temporarily embarrassed Republicans, old wrestling/movie fans, and low interest casual voters.

In short, it'll be noone you'd expect. Three years is too far out.

The Rock endorsed Biden, so I doubt that'll work but who knows.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

A moot point; I doubt Trump will be physically capable of running in 2024.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Rock endorsed Biden, so I doubt that'll work but who knows.

I could easily see The Rock getting a notion in his head that Biden's been too left wing and running as an "reasonable" Republican. I don't see that Rock winning a GOP primary though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

I think the primary issue will be that he'll be (a) massively older and I can't imagine his health will still be holding up then (b) by all accounts he hated actually being President so I don't think he actually runs or runs seriously even if his ego forces him to make the attempt (c) the fact he lost is probably going to be the biggest issue.

I think Trump endorses Hawley to run in his steed instead. But if Trump were to run I think the GOP finds someone to run against him and make it a two person race.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

If Trump's still alive he's going to literally turn the GOP Primary into a reality show where every contestant is expected to fellate him for the next three years. Then he'll back Ivanka and turn against her inexplicably when he decides he wants to run sometime after the Nevada primary.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Grammarchist posted:

If Trump's still alive he's going to literally turn the GOP Primary into a reality show where every contestant is expected to fellate him for the next three years. Then he'll back Ivanka and turn against her inexplicably when he decides he wants to run sometime after the Nevada primary.

This right here. He's going to milk his endorsement for all its worth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the primary issue will be that he'll be (a) massively older and I can't imagine his health will still be holding up then (b) by all accounts he hated actually being President so I don't think he actually runs or runs seriously even if his ego forces him to make the attempt (c) the fact he lost is probably going to be the biggest issue.

I think Trump endorses Hawley to run in his steed instead. But if Trump were to run I think the GOP finds someone to run against him and make it a two person race.

I think Trump's ego will make him back an empty suit who is unquestionably just his puppet, so hello 2024 republican nominee don jr.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
One thing that's easy to forget with the primary is that Trump didn't win because he was the most Republican candidate in the field. He didn't win the primary by turning out all the white noncollege voters from the 2016 general election and 2020 either, those people don't really vote in primaries.
If you divide Republican primary voters into "very conservative", "somewhat conservative", and "moderate", Trump was tied or a little behind Cruz in the very conservative group, and the same with Kasich/Rubio in the moderate group. He won by consistently getting about a third of the vote across all of the groups, and particularly by beating Cruz with voters who didn't identify as very conservative.

I think in the 2016 primary that worked out for Trump because he was seen as relatively moderate and Cruz was the unelectable conservative movement candidate, but it's hard to say whether it'll be the same if he runs again. Are the 2016 primary voters who picked Trump as the moderate option over Cruz now MAGA enough to pick Hawley because he fought for Trump, or will they vote for whoever the 2024 equivalent of Mitt is (obviously not Mitt himself)?

It's hard to imagine Trump losing the primary if he ran again, but I really don't know how his endorsement would work if he doesn't run. The obvious 2024 candidates running as Trump successors are the same kind of movement conservatives that couldn't stop Trump in the primary (and couldn't stop Romney or McCain either).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's hard to get into the 2016 headspace because it was 4 years ago and before the trauma of the Trump years, but Trump was almost perfectly branded to be everything to everyone. That was perfect for the Republican party, because they do have a load of very different people under their tent (or they did, I think a lot of them are just DUHHHH TRUUUUMP now or single-issue hateful racist shithead nazi voters).

Now he's a known quantity, as a leader, but in 2016 the novelty was the same as like the movies where a dog learns baseball. Maybe he's really good at baseball? Maybe this is what baseball has been missing to make it better and more exciting? A third of any kind of person is willing to give that a go.

Dogs can't play baseball and this one has rabies.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Grammarchist posted:

Seems the most likely. It's the least amount of work with the most amount of attention.

Pick posted:

Yeah, it's hard to get into the 2016 headspace because it was 4 years ago and before the trauma of the Trump years, but Trump was almost perfectly branded to be everything to everyone. That was perfect for the Republican party, because they do have a load of very different people under their tent (or they did, I think a lot of them are just DUHHHH TRUUUUMP now or single-issue hateful racist shithead nazi voters).

Now he's a known quantity, as a leader, but in 2016 the novelty was the same as like the movies where a dog learns baseball. Maybe he's really good at baseball? Maybe this is what baseball has been missing to make it better and more exciting? A third of any kind of person is willing to give that a go.

Dogs can't play baseball and this one has rabies.

It gets lost through the lens of 2021 Trump, but he was also considered more moderate than Hillary. He ran as an anti Wall St guy! It's an uncomfortable comparison but if I woke up from a coma and you told me the presidential winner of 2016 ran an anti Wall St, anti free trade, closed borders campaign while also saying he had a secret better healthcare plan I'd have though Bernie won

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

paternity suitor posted:

It gets lost through the lens of 2021 Trump, but he was also considered more moderate than Hillary. He ran as an anti Wall St guy! It's an uncomfortable comparison but if I woke up from a coma and you told me the presidential winner of 2016 ran an anti Wall St, anti free trade, closed borders campaign while also saying he had a secret better healthcare plan I'd have though Bernie won

And was vehemently anti-Iraq-War and said that 9/11 was Bush's fault. lol

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DONALD THE DOVE

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
maybe he loves gay and transgender people even more than hillary :thunk:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Trump will pivot any day now!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

paternity suitor posted:

Seems the most likely. It's the least amount of work with the most amount of attention.

Wait, is Bernie for closed borders?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neo_Crimson posted:

Trump will pivot any day now!

For the love of god, montressor, please outflank from the left :gonk:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

A lot of the big Trumpists really want to be the next Trump, so if he's still around to run again it will be interesting to see who falls in line and who tries to position themselves to run against him.

Cicero posted:

That's an exaggeration, but he did campaign on not wanting to expand immigration and maybe modestly restrict some types.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 14, 2021

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The 2024 GOP nominee will definitely win the primary saying "Trump did nothing wrong", who cares what flavour of fascist the Mercers decide to pick for next cycle?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cicero posted:

Bernie Sanders posted:

Open borders? No, that's a Koch brothers proposal.

But he's become more pro-immigration since he said that in 2015, and he was never a Trump-style xenophobe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

Not for closed borders, but also to not have an immigration system that is set up to be both cruel to immigrants and a wedge against domestic labor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Seph posted:

You're missing a big one:

4) He's in jail

LOL Trump is never going to loving prison. Chist, even if he did, half the party would view him as a martyr and political prisoner who's being oppressed by the radical left wing deep state. Trumpism IS the party right now, even if he's just a symptom or a symbol of their beliefs and, like others have said, 3 years is forever in politics.

I don't see a trend or a pattern where the things he represents are going to be shunned or work as a net negative for the GOP. Quite the opposite in fact.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

The 2024 GOP nominee will definitely win the primary saying "Trump did nothing wrong", who cares what flavour of fascist the Mercers decide to pick for next cycle?

The thing you have to remember about trump is that above all else he’s looking to make an easy buck. And by running he opens a floodgate of graft and donations so if he’s alive he’s running.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL Trump is never going to loving prison. Chist, even if he did, half the party would view him as a martyr and political prisoner who's being oppressed by the radical left wing deep state. Trumpism IS the party right now, even if he's just a symptom or a symbol of their beliefs and, like others have said, 3 years is forever in politics.

I don't see a trend or a pattern where the things he represents are going to be shunned or work as a net negative for the GOP. Quite the opposite in fact.

Tell that to the SDNY and the state of Georgia.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Just curious, when was the last time a former US president was charged and sentenced to prison time which they had to serve?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Booourns posted:

Just curious, when was the last time a former US president was charged and sentenced to prison time which they had to serve?

Grant was arrested and jailed for speeding (he drove his horse-drawn carriage himself), then paid a fine.

No president has been convicted of a crime out of office, but Spiro Agnew was charged for accepting corrupt kickback payments while VP. He took a plea deal specifically in exchange for avoiding prison; he paid a fine and was put on 3-year probation.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Booourns posted:

I'm not sure if it's prudent to compare Trump to past presidents since his crimes are not only much more extensive but also more brazen and public.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Straight White Shark posted:

A lot of the big Trumpists really want to be the next Trump, so if he's still around to run again it will be interesting to see who falls in line and who tries to position themselves to run against him.

My expectation is that if Trump runs again, the field will clear very quickly. Trump has proven (at least to the GOP) that there is a large swath of complete idiots that will show up for him and only him, and maybe burn down a few historical buildings and lynch a few people while they’re at it.

Anyone who runs against him while trying to be Trumpy faces three challenges:

1) Trump’s always going to be better at appealing to those people. It doesn’t matter if he turns super senile in the next four years. Did you listen to any of his rallies in 2020? Any of the debates? He’s already incoherent and given to nonsense tangents and obvious lies, and his voters don’t care a whit because he already represents a tough-guy no-nonsense business-smart outsider and no amount of facts will dissuade them, let alone convince them that someone else is better.

2) You can't attack Trump without risking forever turning those people off to you (and then all your hopes of higher office go away). Look at how the state parties are condemning politicians that stepped out of line of the “election fraud” or the impeachment. Look at how cowardly the Senate responded to the idea of permanently defanging a guy holding no political office, with no campaign fund, and maybe a half-dozen friends in Congress. Even if you don’t get thrown out of the party for standing up to Trump, the GOP is actively acting like that’s the case, and who’s going to spend two years making deals and fundraising and visiting Iowa just to get shut out of everything for opposing Trump?

3) Q might decide you’re the actual baby eater and you get shot by a Proud Boy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's a new Morning Consult poll about Trump.

The highlights are what you might expect:

1) Trump is back up to pre-riot levels of support among Republicans (though this may be affected by the fact that apparently thousands of Republicans left the party in the wake of the riot, meaning it's possible some of that return to pre-riot levels of support is affected by survivor bias rather than by people changing their minds--either way, people who leave the party don't get to vote in primaries)

2) Republicans have decided that Trump wasn't to blame for the riot after all, and other than the rioters themselves the number one people taking blame are Congressional Democrats and Joe Biden (again, survivor bias caveat, but imo the implication here is that Republicans continue to believe the election was stolen and blame Democrats for provoking a riot by stealing the election

Other interesting findings from the full poll results:

Do you believe Donald Trump should play a major role in the Republican party, a minor role in the Republican party, or should he no longer play a role in the Republican Party?
Major role/minor role/no role/DK or NR
Registered voters: 25/10/54/12
Republican/Leans Republican: 57/17/18/7

do you believe the people who broke into the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., as Congress was certifying Electoral College votes for President-elect Joe Biden are:
Supporters of President Trump/Opponents of President Trump/DK or NR
Registered voters: 66/15/18
Republican/Lean Republican: 43/29/27

How responsible do you believe each of the following are for the events that led to a group of people attacking police and breaking into the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.?
News media
Very/somewhat/Not too/Not at all/DK or NR
Registered voters: 22/27/17/22/12
Republican/Lean Republican: 40/33/9/9/8

Favorability for Donald Trump:
Total favorable/Total unfavorable/No opinion
Registered voters: 34/63/3
Republican/Lean Republican: 80/18/2

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do wonder how many moderates have fled the party post-riot. Otherwise this would look really bad and not make sense.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 16, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I do wonder how many moderates have fled the party post-riot.

Probably a lot. It's difficult to figure out what a moderate Republican is at this point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, even him being at 80% approval among Republicans in that poll is a loss of support from usual. Also I wonder if you see some of that surviorship bias in the way the 'all voters' column for 'Trump was to blame' stays at 63-64% even as the GOP percentage drops?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Probably a lot. It's difficult to figure out what a moderate Republican is at this point.

Were there "a lot" of moderates left on Jan 5, 2021?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Crosspost from USPOL:

Paracaidas posted:

Morris is the Economist's polling wonk, and has been good about posting digestible snippets on twitter (including during pollacolypse on election night):
https://mobile.twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1361723967367753728
https://mobile.twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1361724784892076034

I've been similarly skeptical about the level of panic the GOP should be feeling from deregistration and de-affiliation, so this is a sign that I should start taking this a little more seriously (or at least keep an eye out for continued trends). For now, skepticism reigns that it isn't just shy Republicans who'll proclaim they're independent but remain reliable red votes.

Even in that scenario, though, I can see it adding another wrinkle to GOP gerrymander efforts in what will already be a challenging cycle to nail.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

They'll fall back in line.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

They'll fall back in line.
Treason and insurrection is not something most sensible people would 'fall back in line' over. (the sensibles being those moderates fleeing towards independent status en masse.)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Treason and insurrection is not something most sensible people would 'fall back in line' over. (the sensibles being those moderates fleeing towards independent status en masse.)

I think the big question is, even if they don't re-register as Republicans (which some of them might), do they keep voting straight-ticket R in future elections? Because if so, then the big thing their departure does is radicalize the Republican Party even more since the "moderates" are no longer primary voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

I think the big question is, even if they don't re-register as Republicans (which some of them might), do they keep voting straight-ticket R in future elections? Because if so, then the big thing their departure does is radicalize the Republican Party even more since the "moderates" are no longer primary voters.

Some will come back to the fold, some will be straight-R independents, and some will actually sit out if the base continues to nominate crazies. The last group is certain to be laughably small, but even chiseling off a couple % of Republican voters could be decisive in swing districts.