Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Having seen this hack before I can confirm it goes places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The maker of the hack is definitely French. There's some stuff coming up later on which I won't spoil that confirms it. It's very specific.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Quackles posted:

I called fire arrows several seconds before they showed up.

But honestly, I have to echo Carpator's comment - this dungeon could be pretty good. Could also use some visual cleanup.

The visual issues don't change. drat near every area needs a complete texture overhaul.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

For those curious it's not actually the Bomb Bag that lets you play Bombchu Bowling in OoT. The activation trigger for it opening is tied to getting the Goron Ruby

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Augus posted:

I mean, it's not like they didn't look like rear end in the first place.
There's a lot that could be said about all the techniques Nintendo used to work around how lovely and blurry N64 textures generally are and make their games look visually legible and appealing anyway, and how much of that is absent from this hack.
Master of Time has a habit of flooding the player's screen with repetitive, heavily tiled textures that wrap all the way around objects and make the different faces of polygons and different objects all blend together. And there's no shading whatsoever which makes interiors look especially bad. It makes for a game that's just kinda exhausting to look at.

The hack very clearly shows a complete lack of understanding about not just N64 texturing but retro low-res textures in general and what makes them work. No understanding of the extreme need for high contrast colours to provide visual clarity. Even less understanding of how to use that contrast to create the illusion of depth. No attempts whatsoever to compensate for the lack of dynamic lighting on retro hardware through shading. No attempts to soften the way low res textures tile. Most egregious of all is the total disregard for the idea of conservation of detail. It fails at each and every aspect of texture design and the result, as you can plainly tell, is a kind of visual slurry that puts a constant strain on the player and their ability to actually perceive what it is you're putting in front of them.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 5, 2020

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

In your average game the whole reason behind a character going "I am partially dead and am helping you as a spirit" is something special or magical or just something that would tie into the plot and be something you have to solve. Here it is just "I am old and got a bad heart but check what I can do now!"

One can only hope this games quirky sense of humor will continue because man it is a surprising high point of this hack so far.

I have good news and bad news.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

Hey all, I just want to reinforce that this is a blind LP, and so while this is minor overall, alluding to the tonal beats of the plot isn't a great thing to do. It's way more fun to discover everything for ourselves, so please don't allude to anything we haven't seen yet.

I've gone ahead and added a mention of it being a Blind LP to the OP, since it was previously only implied.

My apologies.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The diving game is EXTREMELY badly done and I was genuinely amazed to see FP get it on his first try. I couldn't even see what he was looking at without rewinding the video a couple of times.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Soylent Green is Kokiri!

With how powerful those ovens are I'm pretty sure it's Soylent Charcoal.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

"Invisible Skeleton Fight Pit" is a real hell of a phrase.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

As far as I know no-one has managed to backport changed item behaviours from Majora into OoT. I'm assuming it must be very difficult to pull off.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

There's a lot of dumb poo poo in this game but I think putting green tinted .jpgs of actual, real people in a Zelda hack to make them look like Shrek has got to be the weirdest. Particularly when it's people that nobody other than French politics nerds are going to recognise.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Kinda half expecting the whole thing to get Milkshake Duck'ed at this point and have it turn out to contain easter eggs supporting Le Pen or some poo poo.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I'm glad they didn't shoehorn Phantom Ganon in just for the sake of having a boss fight. It works much better this way.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Procrastine posted:

Forest grottos: Daggerfall - Song 16

This is all I can think of when I see the "I'm so thirsty" text:

I'm sorry to have to inform you but I have an issue with your comic and its' insinuation that Nite wouldn't be extremely enthusiastic about "just letting him loving die".

Wouldn't be at all surprised to find she's got a shrine to Khorne stashed away somewhere in this whole mess.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure that's a modified version of her model from the 3DS remake. The face texture sure as hell is.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4GIszMogrw

Don't forget you're here forever!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Goron Cave. Also known as THE EDGE.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Augus posted:

the hack’s sense of humor has pretty consistently been based on the protagonists/NPCs casually being awful so I really doubt the creator is trying to say “slavery is cool actually” here. they’re just going way overboard with the edginess is all

it has that real "hack made by a teenager who's good at coding" feel to it

Given how this is handled and the tone of the rest of the hack I think it's definitely this.

Tone deaf and stupid.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

It's dumb and awful and inappropriate no matter what way you look at it, yeah.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I miss The Pit. :sigh:

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

MILK TEMPLE

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I had completely forgotten that this was part of the hack.

The framerate is chugging so much there because it's another area where the game has been hacked to have a much greater draw distance than the N64 would normally allow. Having it be full of guays and shell blades makes things chug, especially if you play this on OG hardware via flash cart.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2021

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

So is there something important hidden up there, or just another heart piece/skulltula?

Because it requires glitching to access there's nothing up there that's required for full completion.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

DRINK YOUR MILK

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Having not gone into this LP blind and knowing all the poo poo that was coming, I have spent the entire series giggling to myself.

This hack is very, very dumb.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Like I said, this hack is very, VERY dumb.

You should go try The Missing Link next as a palette cleanser FP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

I have no interest in playing anything by Kaze Emanuar, sadly.

I know very little about the modding scene. Did the author turn out to be a shithead?