Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
This hack is already going places, and I'm definitely here for it.

Procrastine posted:

Yeah this. From Context Clues from the hack and on discord and the kinds of grammar mistakes in the beta I think their native language is French? I never actually asked though.
Sagnol is a Provence French surname, so I wouldn't be surprised. It's derived from the occitan word for a swampy area, but I don't know if it really fits here. (Also it's pronounced San-y'all.)
Honestly, just reading the dialogue and the way everyone addresses Link so... casually, I got some intense French vibe from it as well. Like, I tend to write my English dialogues the same way.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The goofy writing certainly doesn't disappoint. Even with the French peering through, there's such a goofy bluntness to it all.

XavierGenisi posted:

gently caress, I just realized that the music on the file select screen is from Doom. It’s the e1m5 track, Suspense.

It could just be the author’s whims in trying to hit a particular mood and it just happened that those worked best for what they had in mind, but I can’t help but wonder if there’s gonna be some edgy nonsense that’ll show up down the line, especially considering the slaughterhouse.
Based on some of the other tracks, I think he's deliberately going for oddball musical sources that happen to be fit the mood and sound unconspicuous.

Like, the indoors Abello song, Georges Brassens - Hécatombe, is essentially an anarchist song about a bunch of housewifes wackily beating up a bunch of cops at a village market. But it's also set to a pleasant guitar tune, so it's pretty inconspicuous.

... Then again, considering how all the guards in this game have been aggressive, incompetent or both, it's still pretty fitting.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

And to top things off, we have Alexandre Benalla, former security officer and deputy chief of staff of Emmanuel Macron. He had real close ties to the President, before he was dismissed when news broke out that he had been usurping the functions of a police officer to brutalize protestors... and kept using his diplomatic passports way after he was supposed to hand them over... and was getting financially involved with the Russian mafia.

I guess now he's a shapeshifter, usurping the functions of a Lizalfos to brutalize Kokiris. :allears:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Honestly, I also understood the music being used in an ironic sense... the same way one would put "The Blue Danube" over war crimes, you know? And the bad trumpets unintentionally(?) really add to the grotesque there. Could be that I missed something, but I don't remember any NPC telling us this is a good thing Goku's doing, save for the greedy, genocidal slavers.

I watched a bit ahead of the stream (and heard about some of the endings) and even the both-side-ism feels more like everyone in Abello is kind of a crazy rear end in a top hat, not that it justifies Goku's current actions. It could also be that French society is way less polarized than in the US, and one could be seen "criticizing both sides" while also working to make a better world.

Like, idk, I see an old-timey anarchist song, slavers depicted as greedy capitalists, shooting arrows at the face of a corrupt right-wing politician, Benallas, a Sidi Wacho graffiti (a pretty openly antifascist band, who've sang alongside the New Anticapitalist Party's founder). And I could interpret that as the author not understanding the political subtext of ANY songs, including the very obvious French ones. But it seems more likely that he knew full well what he was doing, and the contrast was intended.

But I'm not sure the world of Zelda was the best place to have this kind of story? So it still looks incredibly childish and edgy, and makes it way too easy to disregard its intent.
On the other hand, this is way more entertaining as a Zelda mod of all things. :allears:

Miacis fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 31, 2020