Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Leraika posted:

Leverage is something that very much excites me, both because I'm a big fan of the show and because I liked what I saw of the system, but has anyone here played it? It'd be interesting to see how it works in practice.

Leverage does exactly what it says - but you want a genre fan to not only GM but play the Mastermind to run it as written. It's one of the only three issues I have it; the other one is that for a campaign Blades in the Dark is a better game - but only because it takes most of the best parts of Leverage and mixes them with some of the best parts of Apocalypse World. The final issue I have with Leverage is that it's out of print and you can't even buy PDFs of it legally these days. If the 2010s are the decade of easy to play, easy to improvise GMing, rules light success-with-consequences games with single page character sheets and no looking things up in the rulebook that take literal minutes to teach then Leverage was one of the two games to open the decade in 2010 (the other, of course, being Apocalypse World).

Yes, I've run it. I keep it as a back pocket game for one-shots rather than using it as a campaign game although normally use two hacks - I prefer the FAQs to the almost archaic six-stats inherited from Cortex Classic and the basic consequence dice (or whatever it's called) being a d8 rather than a d6. For a long term game I'd use Blades in the Dark, which has a much better crew and campaign sheet - but for a one shot I'll still use Leverage.

On that note I find Firefly my best game for a light ensemble comedy game - if I was running a Ghostbusters game I'd use Firefly. You can't die, but consequences can escalate and d4s lead to lots of consequences.

The newer Cortex+ Firefly and the older Classic Cortex Serenity game may be in the same universe but are about as different as D&D 3.5 and Dungeon World. No system should have a stat of d12+d2 and Classic Cortex is annoyingly fiddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU