Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think it might be a good time to link all of my hacks for the system. I have been on vacation since the 19th and I made a lot of Cortex Prime Hacks out of boredom.

Star Wars Prime
I actually made this one right after the book first dropped. It's a lot rougher because of the fact it was the first hack I made. It's based on the d6 Star Wars game by West End games and goes for their more modular design. Not my proudest game, though. Don't judge the others based on this one.

Soul Empire
This is actually another one I made a long time ago. It's a bit messy as well. It's off-brand Kingdom Hearts with the idea that it can touch any licensed property.

Exalted: Blood And Fire - Fan Exalt - Nocturnals
This hack is actually a supplement to the amazing Exalted: Blood And Fire hack by Jeremy Puckett. It's a hack for players to make the fan favorite fan-Exalt, Nocturnals. These Exalts are based on time travel, hopping universes, and other possibility shenanigans.

Fallout New Vegas: Prime
Fallout New Vegas is my favorite Fallout game. It has a fleshed out world, solid mechanics, and so many little details that every replay is a treat. This hack tries to emulate the game using Life Points, Talents, and a few other less used Cortex mechanics.

Giant Corporate Owned Superhero Comics Heroic Roleplaying
Want to play Marvel Heroic Roleplaying but can't find the book and don't want to pirate? This hack is a retroclone that tells you which models to use to remake MHR in Cortex Prime.

Social Justice Superheroes
After discussing my issues with how superhero have become "supercops" (a discussion influenced by Aubrey Stitterson and pointing out My Hero Academia's flaws), I decided to work on a game about leftist superheroes. Social Justice Superheroes explores a world where superheroes were once progressive, until conservatism invaded their space and took over. Superheroes then became another arm of fascist suppression. Recently, a figure tried to fight against this and was publicly murdered for it by a white supremacist superbeing, who was given pardon by the US government. Martyred, a new age of superheroes who are focused on actually protecting their communities have risen to fight against the conservative, fascist forces the dominate society. It's based on MHR, but personalized to a more HBO vibe. Most notably, this led to adopting Abilities, instead of Powers, and making a complex Reputation system to marginalized communities.

My Hero Academia
Ironically, I followed that up by making a My Hero Academia game, since the prior idea was made by pointing out its flaws. Just like the last one, it is made by personalizing MHR to fit its mood and themes.

Fallen Angel
This hack was originally a setting for Valor. It is based on an idea I had, which was attempting to remake Bleach but with western cultural elements. It then became your classic "anime does christianity" weird setting, with a lot of shonen elements, gnoscism, and some "God is Dead" elements.

Dragon Age Prime
A dark fantasy hacked based on Dragon Age. It's my only attempt to use Archetypes to mimic classes. It is similar to Fallout New Vegas, in some ways, as it uses Talents, Life Points, etc. to mimic the video game-y origins of the license. Also, a user going by "German Sanders" made an awesome character sheet for it! :)

DC Heroic Roleplaying
One size does not fit all in superheroes. A lot of people tried to work DC back into MHR, back in the day, but it had issues. Marvel has people, DC has legends. I leaned into that, as well as issues I had with Marvel overall, to make a hack focused specifically on playing in the DC universe. Values, ideal stress, etc.

Dragonball Prime
Dragonball has been a joking benchmark in the superhero rpg world, alongside "can you put Batman and Superman on the same team in this game." I love Dragonball and tried my best to emulate its narrate rules in this hack. Most notably by using Power Level to handle the Saga power structure using the Multi-Level Scale mechanics.

If you want to see even more hacks, I started a spreadsheet on the subreddit on r/CortexRPG for people to link their own hacks. So far, people have been linking all their hacks in there. It really helps people find a diverse range of potential games using the Cortex engine.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Avatar: The PRIME Bender is a Cortex Prime hack I made for playing the Avatar: The Last Airbender setting. It uses a lot of same text from my FATE hack. I love the Avatar franchise, if my massive fanfic project wasn't a dead giveaway. I tried my best to make this hack the best one that I could. Its my most extensive hack and has a lot of setting details and little one-off rules like there is even a section on pro-bending.

Mobius Prime
In my never ending crusade to convince people to read Ian Flynn's Sonic The Hedgehog comics, I have made this hack about playing the comic book adventures of the blue blur. I swear to God these comics are actually good and you will agree after meeting Tangle and Whisper. This hack tries to emulate the best elements of those comics for your tabletop game adventures.

My Alien Girlfriend
Despite the picture, this is only loosely based on Tenchi Muyo. I wanted to strip the premise from the male gaze and the problematic elements of the setting. The basic concept is that you started dating an alien and now your life is full of wacky alien hijinks So far, my first and only attempt to mess with Pathways. When I was on the Discord, the creators of Cortex admitted pathways are a pain-in-the-rear end and only one member of their development team ever could balance them right. I did my best but it's still rough.

Wild Hunt Prime
My latest creation that I literally am still tinkering with. I think I may have put too many traits in. Let me know what you think. This is loosely based on Rooster Teeth's RWBY, but I took it in a different direction. Gone is the awful centrist race politics and the four maidens and evil Cortana wizard, this is just a simple story of people fighting evil monsters. I mean, the true history of the world is needlessly complex, but that only exists so you can introduce fun setting elements. I also always hate how these stories make schools so important but still have them just be schools. I mean, why is Hogwarts like the center of the universe? I decided to make it so the Schools ARE the government so it at least makes sense why they are so important. After all, they control the Hunters, which are necessary to protect the entire territory. Why wouldn't they take over? I also took a darker turn with some things. Still, I think this should be fun and I hope everyone likes it.

So, to give you a brief overview:

The important thing to understand is Wild Hunt is attempting to create the following:
  • A Dark Fantasy Setting
  • With Futuristic Technology
  • That Also Has Magic
  • And Heroes Who Have Unique Superpowers
  • Wielding Strange Weapons
  • In A School Setting
  • Who Are Dealing With A World Infinitely More Complex Than Themselves
  • Ultimately Overcoming The Horrors Of A Bleak World Through The Power Of Hope And Kindness

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 25, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Men Who Lived

On May 2nd, 1998, a battle was fought in secret that decided the fate of the world. An army of wizards and witches allied with good stood against a cabal of dark magisters and their monsters for the fate of the world.

Evil won that day and the world was plunged into darkness.

The world of mundanes was forcibly introduced to the reality that witches and wizards have lived among them for years. Where they once stayed in secret, the Dark Lord now rules over mankind. Immortal, cruel, all-powerful: all the nations of the Earth had their leaders culled. In the confusion, the armies of men splintered and fell.

The entire world is run by the Dark Empire. Such has it been for the last twenty three years.

But hope isn't lost.

Two years ago, a group of magus and mundanes began working together to fight the Dark Wizards oppressing the world. The Resistance, as they came to be known, fight for freedom and equality. While there is friction in this rag tag group of freedom fighters, they may be the world's only hope for freedom.

The Men Who Lived is a Cortex Prime Setting inspired by the Harry Potter series of books. Instead of taking the approach of setting this game in a facsimile of a British schooling system, The Men Who Lived focuses instead on marginalized individuals banding together against facist forces.

The concept comes from my main criticism of the Harry Potter fictional universe: the Wizarding world is utterly corrupt even without Voldermort and something needs to be done about it. For those unfamiliar or who may have forgotten, the Wizarding world of the Harry Potter franchise engaged in behaviors like slavery, mental abuse of muggles, manipulating muggle governments, and other such behaviors. In the first book, the reason the Wizarding world remains secret is not out of fear of violence, but a fear of giving away their gifts to the masses. The wizards even came up with a slur for non-wizards: "muggle." It even feels insulting to say.

While some of these issues are recognized, they are never solved nor do the heroes ever try to fix these systematic issues. In a cowardly way, the prequels attempt to argue all the problems are really just in America, unintentionally forgiving all of the social issues in the British system. Despite the entire british wizard governmental system allowing a fascist ruler to take power, the heroes never reform the system. The heroes instead just change the players in charge of the government. This solution, which is treated as all that was necessary, would logically lead to another dark lord rising to power using the same methods as Voldermort.

The Men Who Lived doesn’t actually use the Harry Potter universe. Instead, while taking direct inspiration, this hack is focused on a new, original world. That decision came for three reasons.

One is that I will never afford the license.

The second is that the Harry Potter world is tailored made for one story and it's a tad limited. These issues even cropped up in the story proper, with the series having to oddly justify how a school constantly stood at the center of the entire Wizarding world and could sway world events. My biggest gripe is how the British Wizarding world is portrayed as the center of the world. Everything seems to revolve around the British wizards. When directly asked, the author confirmed all magic around the world, in every culture, works exactly as it does in the books. Since the magic in the books is heavily inspired by British folklore, this is the author saying the British system is the only true system in the world. That's not only a tad offensive, but also utterly boring.

Lastly, representation is a key issue. Almost all of the characters are white, cis and heterosexual. The only non-heterosexual character is only revealed to be so in the author's notes after the series ended. Due to the author's own bigoted beliefs and support of anti-trans organizations, there is absolutely no representation for non-Cis identities.

That simply won't do.

That's why The Men Who Lived strives to accomplish the following:
  • A story about marginalized groups
  • That come from a multitude of different, real life oppressed groups
  • Fighting facism
  • By blending technology and magic
  • While drawing from multiple sources across the cultural world
  • With a focus on drama and emotion

As for mechanics, the hack has an emphasis on the dramatic side. The title is not a game where you pull out your wand and blast away evil wizards while butt rock blares and someone does a kickflip. That would be awesome and I might make that game later, after typing that out. However, this game will focus more on tactical missions against the oppressors with the real focus being the tension and emotions of the scenes.

The title uses direct referencing like all of my other hacks. You will need the Cortex Prime Handbook to play the game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This Wasn't The "Magical Life Changing Adventure" I Was Expecting

Magical Life Changing Adventure is a Cortex Prime Hack based on shows like Amphibia and The Owl House from Disney Channel. For those unfamiliar, they are isekai (“another world”) cartoons where a person from our world is flung into a strange and dangerous magical world. Not long after arriving, they meet a group of people and begin a found family affair. There is a great treat to the world that takes a personal interest in the heroes that they have to overcome. In modern American cartoon fashion, they is a clear focus on character relationships, their emotional states, and their personal growth.

The goal of Magical Life Changing Adventure is to have those kinds of fantasy adventures in your own unique world. There is no setting for this game as there is a Setting Creation mechanic to help define your own magical world (See Setting Creation). A campaign of Magical Life Changing Adventure should be:
  • An emotional fish-out-of-water story
  • Where friendship and found family are at the forefront
  • Where people grow through challenging their beliefs and relationships
  • While surviving a dangerous world and defeating oppressive societal forces.
Your group is encouraged to make this game their own. This hack isn’t like more traditional roleplaying games. The group should focus less on trying to “level-up” and “defeat monsters” and spend more time discussing their emotional states, re-evaluating their relationships, and questioning their beliefs.

I tried to use Pathways in a novel fashion: setting creation. After talking on the discord, some of the creators of Cortex admitted that only one of the original devs was any good at balancing pathways. I thought, however, that Pathways could be stripped of their "difficult to balance" character creation aspect and be used just to make the setting and characters. If it works well here, I might use it in more hacks and it is a good way to expand your world with minimal GM input.

This hack is also the second time I am using the Growth Pool. I first used it in The Men Who Lived. However, I only used it there because that hack was based on Trace 2.0 from the corebook. This hack tries to expand the Growth Pool to include its more traditional method of gaining dice through challenging Values and Relationships. I never played Smallville or any game that used the Growth Pool. This hack is an experiment to see if this system is worth keeping around and if it really helps drive drama. On paper, it seems like it should. Let me know what you think.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 2, 2021

Covok
May 27, 2013

I made this and I forgot I made this:

Digimon Prime

I borrowed a core idea of Greg Stolze's Better Angels for this one. The player to your left plays your Digimon Partner so that 1) it doesn't put too much burden on the GM and 2) ensures the group is always talking to each other. Of course, this only applies for roleplay as the Digimon Partner's Traits are used in conjunction with the Digidestined when an action is taken. They are a team, after all.

Digimon was one of my favorite Saturday Morning Cartoons when I was a kid. My favorite series waffles between Adventure and Tamers. I don't mind Adventure 02 up to the end of the Digimon Emperor Arc and I like Savers. Never saw the seasons after Savers. I don't mind Frontier but I don't love it either. I haven't watched the 2020 reboot yet.

The hack is explicitly trying to to go for the feeling of Adventure, with the Digidestined finding themselves Isekaied into the Digital World with no explanation and discover they are the chosen ones to save both worlds. I have found my hacks have gotten rather self-referential. I got into a habit of even copypasta passages I already written in other hacks and just changing the relevant details.

On this one, I tried to mix the Power Level and Transformation mechanics of my Dragonball Prime hack together for Digivolution. I also placed Relationships very front-and-center by making them a Prime Trait. The weird "your Distinctions have two unlock slots and Hinder" that I pretty much put in all my hacks now is there too lol. The Values are Crests because, come on, you know that was what was going to happen.

I hope you enjoy it!

Covok
May 27, 2013

gently caress Fandom

Covok
May 27, 2013

I set all my hacks to private unless the license gets less poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Thanlis posted:

That looks like someone’s weird misunderstanding of the confusing TOS clauses that most Internet sites use to get permission to display and transmit your work.

“By submitting content to the Service for distribution, Publishers also grant a license to the Company for all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to the Content for publication on the Service, pursuant to this Agreement.”

I think it may also be because the Fandom lawyers seem really, really, really committed to the idea of being able to copyright the mechanics, despite the supreme court ruling that impossible a long, long time ago. To the degree that even the notion the website has the right to duplicate the content for the purposes only of selling your digital product put their neck hairs on end. We have to remember that Cam and co. can say what they want, but Fandom are the guys in charge and they're run by a billionaire investment fund and Fandom's main business model is making money off of other people's hard work while supplying no compensation whatsoever.