Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've had fun slaying monsters in this dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Which maybe leads me to a broader question. Why a megadungeon, instead of just a world - or a universe? What, to you, is the distinction?

When I did one, it was because I explicitly wanted something alien and implausible and weird as a wrap-around setting. I took a lot of inspiration from Blame!, Biomega, the Matrix, and Blade Runner and put a fantasy/Spelljammer-y lens on those ideas, so my megadungeon was the result of world-building magic that ran out of control and filled the entire Celestial Sphere with a dungeon. Hundreds of thousands of dungeon levels, giant chasms where eons of decay and tidal forces split rifts in the structure, and whole cultures rising and falling inside. I wanted to run a campaign in which the entire world had a nonsense ecology/economy and was in an unsustainable decay state, and megadungeons are a good fit for that kind of thing.

aldantefax posted:

3. Megadungeons are also inherently ridiculous. Because they aren't just places in the world that naturally occur in the way that most people consider a megadungeon, there is a sense of expectation subversion that suggests and also demands experimentation. You can very easily go along with the flow in the rest of the game world, a story narrative where it's a pure railroad, or whatever; megadungeons put this ridiculousness at the front and center as something to call players to action.

Yeah, this. You have to want the setting to not make sense or be unreal in some way for a megadungeon to "work" because they take all the weird edges from regular-scale dungeons (like, what's this orc's motivation to guard this chest? what does this dragon eat? etc.) and puts them front and center.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 24, 2020