Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Finding the Winning Edge by Bill Walsh. It was never reprinted and copies can be very expensive online, although I think you can maybe find it via :filez:. It’s basically the coaching bible and does include breakdowns on plays, practices, and almost everything.

EDIT: Just for fun, the Football Life episode on Walsh talks about the book heavily, particularly in the first few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_CnRkKOqA

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

i recommend if you're not familiar with george plimpton it is imperative to watch some interviews with him so you can hear how he talks.

Alternate option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhmFCX9Bq3k

I like how they have his Lions #0 jersey on the wall in the background

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

geezersteez posted:

Definitely heard about this book many times, and not just in the context of football, but in regards to coaching in general. Plus, who wouldn’t want to know what Joe Walsh knows.

I wonder whether Shula wrote any books.

Yeah, it’s very much in depth NFL coaching and organization management, including seemingly mundane stuff like to run practices or speeches to give to players in camp. For play stuff, the last appendix of the book is like 60~ pages just of play diagrams and breakdowns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Doing some more glancing at my book shelf:

The Games that Changed the Game by Ron Jaworski: This is more about strategy, with Jaws breaking down seven games that basically created the modern NFL. For example, one is a Chargers-Raiders game from 1980 that first saw the Chargers using Kellan Winslow all over the place. Another is a Bills-Steelers game from 1992 where Pittsburgh heavily leaned into the zone blitz. It’s a well written and a great, accessible read. This is also the source of the amazing “If ‘18’ goes down, we’re hosed, and we don’t practice hosed” quote from Tom Moore.

The View from the O-Line by Howard Mudd: Less X’s and O’s about every play, but focused on offensive linemen. It has interviews with dozens of guys from basically every era and does get in depth about offensive line schemes and techniques. Another really awesome read.

Slow Getting Up by Nate Jackson. This isn’t an X’s and O’s strategy book, but a very well written account of a guy who was mainly a practice squad and depth guy mostly with the Broncos during the mid-00’s. When the subject of football books has come up here in the past, it usually gets recommended since it’s a short but good read. It’ll give you some looks into the more mundane stuff like practice squad life and being hurt all the time.

America’s Game by Michael MacCambridge. This is basically the go-to book on the overall history of the NFL, so if you’re doing any kind of football reading, it’s worth checking out at some point. Quite good, but obviously a general overall history, so some stuff is skimmed over.

EDIT:

geezersteez posted:

Wow! You weren’t kidding, the cheapest copy I could find was $300!! I’m not adverse to spending money on books, but that definitely makes me at least think twice. Unbelievable there hasn’t been a reprint when it’s obviously so popular.

Yeah, I got lucky and snagged a copy that was perfect aside from an almost imperceptible dent in the spine for like $150 a few years back. It’s really only popular with football diehards, although business people also speak highly of the parts relevant to them and didn’t have a broad appeal. IIRC, it didn’t sell well in its original release, taking a while for the original printing to get moved, which is why it hasn’t gotten another run since even though it is highly coveted among the aforementioned groups and a few others.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 24, 2020