Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If we're doing old game chat again, one that always amuses me is the Giants-Eagles opener from 1994. This is one of the first games broadcast on Fox. For fun, stick around at least the first few minutes just for what brands sponsor the starting lineups and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbZYQNCHaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

sweet thursday posted:

I said, GDTs
Seven days a week
Wednesday-afternoon Football
Make that running game weak, woo

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, you loving with some Wednesday afternoon Football
Don't know if they ought to play this Wednesday-afternoon Football
Bring all the covid you got to this Wednesday-afternoon Football

Breathe it up, Steelers
Catch the SARS
Your main stars
And practice squad
Put this rona right in your face
Open nose with your “mask” chin guard

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

Jay Cutler: *stares off sideways* "Brandon's the only loving actual receiver we have."

*slams fist on table* "AND THE SCIENCE DEMANDS MORE BLOOD FOR NURGLE!"

Acience has become a talking point for hilariously random restrictions.

Like the Science says you can’t be at bars past ten like the virus is a night owl or something. It’s crazy

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

chamois posted:

if you don't think they should play the game today, you're anti science.

Please ignore the man behind the curtain who is now homeless and suicidal due to CTE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Acience has become a talking point for hilariously random restrictions.

Like the Science says you can’t be at bars past ten like the virus is a night owl or something. It’s crazy

It's to limit exposure so businesses and such can function and operate but trying to limit people out late and drunk so they do stupid poo poo like spread a disease.

I mean that's what I assume.

Like to eat and drink you need to take off a mask but if you have a mask going in and wear it until you get your food and drink, spend as much time limiting spread as possible.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The best thing to do is obvious but politically unacceptable, so scientists have to make half-assed compromises to avoid being ignored entirely.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1334232239056424960?s=19

See ya

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

sirtommygunn posted:

The best thing to do is obvious but politically unacceptable, so scientists have to make half-assed compromises to avoid being ignored entirely.

this, and if you put enough zeroes on a check you can find at least one or two experts in any field who will sign off on anything.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Anyone got a good write-up of all the bad poo poo Chiefs OC has done? Him and Dorsey heading to a team has Netflix documentary potential

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Melvin you wouldn't even need to switch addresses

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Codependent Poster posted:

I would also throw to Brandon Marshall 21 times in a row over Devin Hester.
Kyle Orton did exactly that in 2009; not necessarily in a row but Marshall caught 21 balls nonetheless

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

tarbrush posted:

Didn't Cushing have his own steroid ban back in the day?

you could say that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/02/roger-goodell-not-planning-nfl-playoff-bubble

quote:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell does not believe that hosting the playoffs in a single bubble environment is the proper route for the league to conclude the season.

Goodell cited the NFL's COVID-19 protocols as reason to stay away from a central playoff location. He left open the possibility for 32 team-specific bubble environments to be enacted in the future.

"We don’t see the bubble as most refer to it in one location," Goodell said. "We feel strongly our protocols are working. We’re willing to adjust and adapt those protocols, take additional steps. But I don’t see us doing the bubble in the sense that the media focuses on it."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

how did i not know Brian Cushing was an S&C coach lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

I feel like it's not working. To bad there's no way to know which of us is right.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How are the Steelers still undefeated

they're not that good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

they're not that good

The NFL is scripted and needs a narrative. CLEARLY.

CONVINIENT THAT LAMAR AND THE RAVENS GOT COVID JUST NOW. :tinfoil:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

they're not that good

They need to reach W16 15-0 so they can lose their last game to the Browns because they’ll have benched everyone by then.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Which year was it that the Colts went like 13-0, benched their starters for the final games (and lost them), then got dumped in the playoffs?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Which year was it that the Colts went like 13-0, benched their starters for the final games (and lost them), then got dumped in the playoffs?

2009 iirc.

Sanchez Jets

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

In 2005 they went 14-2 after resting a bunch of their starters in the closing weeks and promptly got rinsed out by Pittsburgh in the divisional round. They did something similar in 09 but that team ended up making it to the SB.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, 2005 they started 13-0, then basically rested everyone to finished 14-2. The lost in the divisional round to Pittsburgh after coming out slow, Dungy refusing to go for it at any time (Manning started waving the punting team off in the second half), and then Vanderjagt happened at the very end with a chance to force OT. 2009 they started 14-0, had everything locked up, rest everyone, but still made it to the Super Bowl.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I dont think they rested anyone in 2005. Their first loss was like week 13 when Michael Turner wrecked them

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ok I'm home from work/errands when does the steelers/raven game start?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I'm glad Joey bosa loves anime

https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/1334292969877172224?s=19

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Manning Colts usually had their division wrapped up so early that the hardest thing for them to do was to choose to rest people or play. They're also why the NFL changed it so division games are at the end of the season to try and avoid those situations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

a neat cape posted:

2009 iirc.

Sanchez Jets

In 2009 they went to the Super Bowl. The next year they struggled to 10-6 and lost to the Jets.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

In 2009 they went to the Super Bowl. The next year they struggled to 10-6 and lost to the Jets.

The 2009 team was 14-0 and rested players in week 16 and lost to the Sanchez jets

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

I dont think they rested anyone in 2005. Their first loss was like week 13 when Michael Turner wrecked them

After that loss they did. The next week Peyton and the starters only played the first quarter vs Seattle, while in the final game they only played one drive before Jim Sorgi came in to do the bulk of the game against Arizona. Pulling and resting the starters was a big thing for Bill Polian, as his Buffalo Bills teams did this to a limited extent, and in 1999 the Colts lost Cornelius Bennett in the final game of the season when it wouldn't affect their playoff spot at all, so in later years they always made a point of resting guys. 2005 is the year most talked about because they lost an ugly game to Pittsburgh in the Divisional Round where the looked very flat and off to start it, but they had done it previously in 2004 and then still won a Wild Card game against Denver, and obviously would do it again in 2009 when they went to the Super Bowl again.

The 2009 instance of it was notable because they were 14-0, and it was basically a decision made mid-game against the Jets. They'd just scored a TD to take a 15-10 lead in the third quarter and pulled Peyton, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and a few others basically as the PAT was going on. Curtis Painter came in, and a drive later had a sack-fumble returned for a TD, and the Jets took over from there. Peyton and those guys basically played just like the first drive or two of the final game against Buffalo to hit various round numbers for the season (A few screens to Clark and Wayne to get them to 100 catches, for example), and then Painter and the back ups came in while Peyton was throwing wrist bands and stuff to fans in the stands. It didn't hurt them at all in the playoffs, as they beat Baltimore 20-3 in the Divisional round (The "God drat it, Donald!" game), and the Jets lead them at halftime in the AFC Championship game before Peyton figured out Rex Ryan's defense and they pulled away 30-17 (Although, late in that game when it was decided is when Dwight Freeney got hurt, which didn't help the Super Bowl).

King Hong Kong posted:

Yeah, the 2010 team had a ton of injuries (The 2008 team had similar issues at the very end of the season). Clark went down after like week 6, Austin Collie got killed a few weeks later against the Eagles, all the running backs got hurt so it turned into a 30-something year old Dominic Rhodes on his third stint with the team, Edgerrin James' cousin, and Mike Hart while the receivers involved guys like Blair White and Brody Eldridge getting a lot of snaps and being heavily targeted in key situations. Manning made some of them work to an extent, but the lack of depth they'd had for a few years due to bad drafting and never acting in free agency started to really show that year. They got in at 10-6, hosted an 11-win Jets team where Revis locked down Reggie Wayne and none of the other guys could do much and they lost a close game on a last second field goal in part due to some bad time management from Jim Caldwell. That all lead into the Peyton-less 2011 team...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They need to reach W16 15-0 so they can lose their last game to the Browns because they’ll have benched everyone by then.

They'll lose anyway with the starters, because they'll need them in to stay ahead of the Chiefs. :v: