Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dark Souls 3 came out in April of 2016. A lot of people liked it, but I thought it was poo poo. For reasons that I'm sure are related to me thinking it was loving awful, my first run was a sorcery run. I was also very disappointed with how much the game felt the need to fellate the first Dark Souls. Say what you will about the game, but the callbacks were anything but tasteful and well-thought-out. Every time I came across a direct reference to the first game, it felt like all that was missing was a sitcom audience's raucous applause.

So why am I doing an LP of a game that I hated? Because Cinders did the impossible and made me like the game. Cinders made Dark Souls 3 actually fun.

So what is Cinders?

Cinders is a reimagining of Dark Souls 3. It rebalances a lot of items and skills and a lot of fundamental mechanics. To give you an idea of what I mean, you can only have 10 Estus Flasks at maximum instead of 15. Why? Because the mod author removed Ashen Estus Flasks. Why? Because in its place they give you an infinite use item that restores a shitload of FP all at once but leaves you vulnerable for about 5 seconds. On top of that, FP naturally regenerates. So you can cast as many spells as you want as long as you're willing to deal with being extremely vulnerable when you go to replenish your casts.

The game is harder now, but the dev gives you the tools to actually scale the mountain he's set in front of you. And in case the game wasn't hard enough for you, you can activate optional curses that make enemies even stronger in exchange for greater rewards when they die. We'll be doing most of this LP under the effects of some of those curses.

When are you recording? I want to invade you and--

Slow your roll there, chief. While Cinders can be played online, FROM's servers will auto softban you if they detect you going online with the mod enabled. For various reasons, I don't especially want to be softbanned and forced to play on the cheater server. Also the run I'm planning on doing is not your traditional Souls run.

To put it bluntly, if I played with other people, I'd be inundated with messages calling me every name under the sun, chief among them being "unfair."

What kind of run is it going to be?

Low schadenfreude. To say more would ruin the surprise. You're very likely not going to see me struggling very much. I've practiced this run several times now, and each time I do it, it gets easier and easier. When I die, you're not going to see a half hour of me struggling to get back to where I was. I'm going to cut out repetitious content liberally.

Videos

I'm aiming to post videos twice a week!

Playlist

01 - Cemetary of Ash (feat. Yapping Eevee)
02 - Hellrun Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
03 - Hellrun Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
04 - High Wall of Lothric Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
05 - High Wall of Lothric Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
06 - High Wall of Lothric Part 3 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
07 - High Wall of Lothric Part 4 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
08 - Undead Settlement Part 1 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
09 - Undead Settlement Part 2 (feat. Yapping Eevee)
10 - Undead Settlement Part 3 (feat. Leave)
11 - Undead Settlement Part 4 (feat. Leave)
12 - Road of Sacrifices Part 1 (feat. Leave)
13 - Road of Sacrifices Part 2 (feat. Leave)
14 - Road of Sacrifices Part 3 (feat. Leave)
15 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 1 (feat. Leave)
16 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 2 (feat. Leave)
17 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 3 (feat. Leave)
18 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 4 (feat. Leave)
19 - Farron Keep Part 1 (feat. Leave)
20 - Farron Keep Part 2 (feat. Leave)
21 - Farron Keep Part 3 (feat. Leave)
22 - Catacombs of Carthus (feat. Leave)
23 - Smouldering Lake Part 1 (feat. Leave)
24 - Smouldering Lake Part 2 (feat. Leave)
25 - Smouldering Lake Part 3 (feat. Leave)
26 - Irithyll Part 1 (feat. Leave)
27 - Irithyll Part 2 (feat. Leave)
28 - Irithyll Part 3 (feat. Leave)
29 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 1 (feat. Leave)
30 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 2 (The Rat Video) (feat. Leave)
31 - Profaned Capital (feat. Leave)
32 - Upper Irithyll (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
33 - Anor Londo (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
34 - Consumed King's Garden (feat. LevelZeroBadger)
35 - Untended Graves (feat. Leave)
36 - Archdragon Peak Part 1 (feat. Leave)
37 - Archdragon Peak Part 2 (feat. Leave)
38 - Upper High Wall Part 1 (feat. Leave)
39 - Upper High Wall Part 2 (feat. Leave)
40 - Grand Archives Part 1 (feat. Leave)

Bonus Videos

Bonus 01 - Patch 1.73

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Reserved because DS3 is a pretty long game

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, this looks interesting. I do not remember - does Gundyr have those trails of fire in the regular game? Those seem unfamiliar.

I don't believe he does. Those trails of fire are actually what's causing curse buildup in the fight, too!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

02 - Hellrun Part 1

Time to sequence break like crazy, put our weapon through its paces, and waste 5 free level ups.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

03 - Hellrun Part 2

The Hellrun concludes with a trip through like a good 80% of the Catacombs of Carthus.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That's my ceiling fan. I didn't realize it was guest starring in my commentary at the time, and going back to re-record was too much work. I've since turned it off while recording! So starting with Friday's update, there shouldn't be any more clinking in the background.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

04 - High Wall of Lothric Part 1

We actually barely spend any time in the High Wall in this video. Most of it is spent in three other zones.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I finally got off my rear end and did some grinding to max out the ladle in my endgame file. This thing is insane.

This is the basic ladle. Decent but nothing to write home about. Good for any build, though!

This is after pouring 28 estus shards into the sucker. It deals a consistent 400 damage on the skeleton "training dummy" in Firelink. And when I was killing random hollows outside, it was just ruining them. One put his shield up and a single strike from it completely poise broke his rear end. It also uses barely any stamina when maxed out. But there's no way you're getting 28 estus shards without going midway through New Game+2 or grinding like hell on NG+0.

If my stats seem absurdly high, it's because my character is wearing a +5 Ring of Favor, which adds 30 to Vigor, Endurance, and Vitality.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Today's got two videos!

05 - High Wall of Lothric Part 2
Bonus 01 - Patch 1.73

The second video is a look at the old version of the mod and the insanely fast firing speed you could achieve. No commentary, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

06 - High Wall of Lothric Part 3

The Pursuer intrudes...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

07 - High Wall of Lothric Part 4

The videos I was thinking of are all linked in the description. There's about seven of them and they go into pretty insane detail regarding the world's layout. If you only watch one, though, then you should probably watch Illusory Wall's video. It's by far the longest, but it's also the most comprehensive.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

08 - Undead Settlement Part 1

Even more sequence breaking. When the game makes it this easy, I can't not do it!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Iceblocks posted:

This LP has convinced me to install Cinders. Having fun playing sorcerer and actually using spells as my main weapon.

God, right? Being a battle mage is fun and all, but sometimes you just want to specialize in being a caster. Keep us updated on how it's going!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

09 - Undead Settlement Part 2

Lore

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Santa Sally has visited the thread! Because we were so good, we have received a new title and tag.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Just popping in to say that there's no new update yet! What with the Holidays and other such nonsense, finding time to actually comment on a few videos has been difficult. So there will be a slight delay!

While I'll try to get it out as soon as possible, I don't expect it will happen before the new year.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jade Rider posted:

The mod looks pretty rad. I never got around to playing 3, I'm guessing it'd be better to play the vanilla game before this?

I wouldn't pick up the game for the mod, but if you already have it and have yet to play it, there's no reason why you couldn't do it for a first playthrough. Just be wary of the different spots that it lets you "commune" because those are sequence breaks that aren't in the vanilla game. And some of them are extremely nasty.

For instance: the tiny bit of the final DLC that I showed off for a whole 10 minutes? Normally you can only get there from a warp that's placed basically outside of the final boss's arena. Or by beating the final boss of the first DLC, who is widely regarded to be pretty difficult. And Cinders lets you sequence break there from the first actual area of the game!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

10 - Undead Settlement Part 3

After nearly 3 months of break time, this LP finally returns! Eevee's life has become too busy to commentate, so I've managed to convince Leave to step up in his place.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

10 - Undead Settlement Part 4

Carpator Diei posted:

Consider me happy that this is back :3 I can't wait to see what horrors this mod added to the Greatwood fight.

Surprisingly little! The fight is still pretty straightforward.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's interesting seeing the skeleton of the game in that design document, especially stuff that would eventually become the second DLC.

I'm kinda keen to try that mod out when it releases!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

12 - Road of Sacrifices Part 1

We start the week with a new area!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

13 - Road of Sacrifices Part 2

This area is really short. At least Monday will be another boss fight. :confuoot:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

14 - Road of Sacrifices Part 3

I try to explain the cyclical nature of linking the flame at the end. I probably didn't do a very good job of it.

Iceblocks posted:

The Missionary Axe is a fun weapon for Strength builds. It is a greataxe with a moveset of almost nothing but overhead swings and it is hilarious.

I'll actually be using an axe at the start of the next video, but sadly it won't be the Missionary Axe. Though that sounds fun as hell, not gonna lie!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

15 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 1

Carpator Diei posted:

One important correction :eng101: It's kind of likely that the Age of Man will in fact only begin after the Flame has died; the Age of Fire is linked to the rule of the gods, and it's implied that without the Flame there wouldn't be a distinction between humans and gods anymore (or it wouldn't be possible to maintain the illusion of such a distinction, depending on your reading), which is why the gods and their followers want to keep the Flame burning. Now whether the Age of Dark that seems to alternate with the Age of Fire is identical with the Age of Man (as claimed by the people who would really like to bring about an Age of Dark), and whether those two are the only possibilities, is a rather different question. And I'm not even going to get into how it's a very valid interpretation that the Flame is a metaphor for capitalism :v:

See, now that makes more sense than what I was saying! Hopefully it makes sense to Leave too.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

16 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 2

We clear out the majority of the lower Cathedral in this one. Thursday's video is gonna deal with the upper levels!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

17 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 3

We go pretty high up in this one and so I'm gonna give a blanket content warning for being extremely high up. So if you're not a fan of that, you probably shouldn't be looking between 13:00 and 19:38

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

18 - Cathedral of the Deep Part 4

I don't know why I'm so convinced the game bugged out when it very obviously didn't. This is what I get for recording commentary multiple weeks after recording the video!

Also that Archthrones mod looks amazing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

19 - Farron Keep Part 1

The start of a new area! We won't be staying for long. This swamp sucks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

20 - Farron Keep Part 2

The swamp starts off really long and then it's over just like that

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The previous update was meant to go up on Monday. This one is on time, however!

21 - Farron Keep Part 3

We finally face one of the Lords of Cinder! The Abyss Watchers await...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I don't actually know! I don't think it did. The wiki is oddly tight-lipped about changes the mod made to individual bosses, sadly.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

22 - Catacombs of Carthus

Getting fired up about the bad parts of vanilla dark souls 3. There are many.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

23 - Smouldering Lake Part 1

More than 70,000 souls down the toilet. Oh well!

Carpator Diei posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that Solaire didn't fall into any pits.

His luck doesn't hold out for more than a full minute in this one!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

So, about those sandworms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgrxv4wd-bU

This area is all sorts of weird, but the weirdest part is that the sandworm shouldn't be able to burrow into the ground because the Demon Ruins are down there, right below the surface; and the game even calls attention to that spatial situation by letting you drop into the ruins through a literal hole right in the middle of the lake.

:magical:

Whaaaat the fuuuuuuck. That's kinda horrifying. The sheer amount of detail most players will never see is astounding.

EDIT: Also the hole in the ruins isn't spatially making sense to me now that you've got me thinking about it. The path into the ruins proper would have to actually turn almost 90 degrees counterclockwise from the way it's pointed in order for the drop into the back end to make sense. :psyduck:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 28, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oh yeah it does turn a corner. That kinda makes sense, then? I might have to run through and toggle the free camera to get a good look at the geometry to see how things line up.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

Another detailed look at an enemy that no one asked for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4VjoxJ-sE

(Zullie's channel is really interesting in general, but has spoilers for later parts of DSIII)

Mimics without chests are so weird.

24 - Smouldering Lake Part 2

It's an (expected) unfunny joke, but I'm unreasonably proud of it all the same.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, agreed. While the concept of a randgen Dark Souls level is interesting and probably worth experimenting with, Bloodborne showed that the idea needs a little more time in the oven. And I'm not sure if they had been implemented, DS3's Catacomb Dungeons (or whatever) would have been very successful either.

Also I did not know that theory!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I can confirm that there are no new types of mimics in Cinders. That doesn't mean it doesn't have its own surprise dick moves, though!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

25 - Smouldering Lake Part 3

Two bosses in one video! It's the Old Demon King and Highlord Wolnir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

Regarding Quelana: I'm pretty sure you were thinking about the Fair Lady there; Quelana is a different character, the one you meet at the base of Blighttown if you have a +10 Pyromancy Flame. She asks you to kill her sisters who were turned into spider creatures, but it's not quite clear if those sisters are really all that unhappy with their situation.

:negative: I had completely forgotten that Quelana was a character. Shows how long it's been since I played the first game.