Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hello YOSPOS.

I am trying to buy a hard drive because I have a large amount of media I want to store but the market has gotten so weird. there’s a ton of surveillance or server drives flooding the market and you can’t find a decent drive for a decent price anymore. plus weird stuff like if I want a 12tb drive I have to buy an Exos which is helium filled for some reason? for Pete’s sake I just want a good cheap drive that goes in my computer and keeps it simple.

I assume this is because everyone just streams on Hulu now. which sucks because they don’t keep stuff around long enough for me to finish stargate sg-1. that and everyone just cares about SSDs but I don’t want to spend $1400 for a dang media drive.

anyway this is the thread to complain about storage. why is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
server drives are good OP. throw two server drives in a lovely old system you have laying around and run your favorite poo poo OS+ZFS to access your filez

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just get 2 8 gigs or 3 6 gigs and chuck them in a nas for less money than that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Alzabo posted:

server drives are good OP. throw two server drives in a lovely old system you have laying around and run your favorite poo poo OS+ZFS to access your filez

do I look like someone who keeps old trash computers around

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

nobody is buying hard drives for their Linux isos

???????? :confused:

i think there's a whole subreddit around "shucking" where people share the latest deals on Western Digital external drives because they're great ways to get WD Red (or Red-equivalent white label) drives for low prices. those drives work fine in RAIDs built for mass ISO storage. i've done it myself.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that sounds like a pain in the rear end op. awful customer experience

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T63FDJQ

14TB for $275. it's even 7200rpm. literally the second-lowest price per TB for >8TB drives listed on pcpartpicker.com

EDIT: fifth-lowest $/TB for storage listed for ALL drives on pcpartpicker

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 25, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
14t easystores are $189 at best buy right now

i bought four 8t's from them this year and have been delighted the whole time

the 8t's are 139 right now and seem to be staying there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
(you pop the case open with a guitar pick, pull the drive out, slam it in your computer and throw the case away)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmm not bad but why does it need helium in it

e: re: the exos drive

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because helium molecules are smaller than atmospheric air molecules, so the heads can float closer to the platters and you can cram more bits in

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
to handle floating point numbers, op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s a more reasonable reason than I expected

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i grow my own bits out in the shed. don't need many these days, just enough to get through winter.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

does helium diffuse through metal? what happens when all the helium escapes, does the drive die?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

does helium diffuse through metal? what happens when all the helium escapes, does the drive die?

yes it can/will diffuse

i think basically the hard drive itself will die or be replaced before helium leaking becomes a serious concern

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

wait then would it be under vacuum? or what would replace the helium pressure?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

idk

the thing i read said that as the helium starting leaking out, nothing would replace it, so the pressure in the drive lessens and slows down the helium leakage

im not an expert in gas transfer or whatever

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I thought air would diffuse in as the helium diffuses out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

wd greens are ssds now!?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i thought the helium these days was more for reducing air resistance and saving power. individually not a big deal but something that adds up across thousands of units in a datacenter. maybe i was wrong though

Silver Alicorn posted:

wd greens are ssds now!?

they're reusing the colors across both SSD and HDD

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i've got 1tb of hdds sitting on my desk right now if you want them

one has a post it note saying "DBAN this" on it and the other a post it note saying "windows vista", idk what's on the other

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

interestingly the 8 and 10TB western digital drives are back to being air filled. these models are hotter, louder, and use more power than the previous helium filled drives. WD doesn't exactly advertise which drives are and are not helium filled. they've been playing kind of fast and loose with changing specs like this recently (see: this lawsuit about not labeling drives as SMR)

but uh yeah op that doesn't really matter just but some cheap externals, shuck 'em, and fill 'er up with UHD linux isos.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

shucking sounds incredibly unpleasant

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate the word but the operation itself is fine. i did 4 drives, the first took five minutes, the other three took 30 seconds each

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't like throwing never used plastic away but hey, we're drinking the overflow from a government contractor tap with these. We've paid for the drives via taxes already.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

shucking sounds incredibly unpleasant

it's easy and literally what every nerd is doing for affordable bulk storage. there's an over $100 price difference between externals on sale and bare drives.

or if you literally just meant the word "shucking" then uhhh idk what should we say...peeling?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't like throwing never used plastic away but hey, we're drinking the overflow from a government contractor tap with these. We've paid for the drives via taxes already.

what the gently caress are you talking about

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

the fairly well confirmed rumor is that easystore drives are so incredibly cheap because they are overproduction from an enormous contract that various 3 letter agencies have for storage production

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I assume shucking voids the warranty

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the fairly well confirmed rumor is that easystore drives are so incredibly cheap because they are overproduction from an enormous contract that various 3 letter agencies have for storage production

wouldn't mind seeing more on that. i mean these things have been going on sale for a few years now. like wtf happened, there was a contract for a zillion drives but then the buyer said "nah nevermind" after they were manufactured?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

Actually no, people have rma'd them but you need to keep the cases and put it back in before you return. as long as you didn't physically damage the drive with a shuck they don't give a drat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SO DEMANDING posted:

wouldn't mind seeing more on that. i mean these things have been going on sale for a few years now. like wtf happened, there was a contract for a zillion drives but then the buyer said "nah nevermind" after they were manufactured?

probably more efficient to run production line at a particular speed, make extra drives, and sell them either for low profits or a small loss. that way you have some production line buffer

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

people have sent in bare shucked drives without issue. there have been some stories of WD giving people poo poo for this but the customer service reps shutup after being reminded of the magnuson-moss warranty act lol

i think they only have a 1 year warranty anyway so it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to deal with this.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

do the usb-sata boards from shucked drives work with other drives or are they somehow locked

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SO DEMANDING posted:

people have sent in bare shucked drives without issue. there have been some stories of WD giving people poo poo for this but the customer service reps shutup after being reminded of the magnuson-moss warranty act lol

i think they only have a 1 year warranty anyway so it's highly unlikely you'll ever have to deal with this.

nah it's two year warranty. not huge but better than one year.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

nah it's two year warranty. not huge but better than one year.

oh whoops how about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i bought a couple 8tb easystores a few months ago, one to expand my existing array, and one as a cold spare in case the pandemic clobbered hard drive availability