Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

does helium diffuse through metal? what happens when all the helium escapes, does the drive die?

yes it can/will diffuse

i think basically the hard drive itself will die or be replaced before helium leaking becomes a serious concern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

idk

the thing i read said that as the helium starting leaking out, nothing would replace it, so the pressure in the drive lessens and slows down the helium leakage

im not an expert in gas transfer or whatever

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

do the usb-sata boards from shucked drives work with other drives or are they somehow locked

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

from "talk about hard drives" to "brag about our pirated poo poo" in 2 pages !!

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

when walmart had those external 500gb pny ssds for 15 bucks i bought 8 of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i’m jelly. those didn’t happen in canada or if they did certainly not around me lol

they were selling them as a back to school thing, and when the season was over all of the back to school stuff went on clearance, including the ssds

thing about that is because they were in the system as "seasonal" and not electronics you had to wander around the store trying to find the seasonal clearance section