Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therattle posted:

The issue being?

Oh it’s not an issue, I liked being thought of as a good cook because I knew onions smell good with butter and garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else ever like to recall stupid cooking poo poo they did when they were young? I moved out of my parents house as a teen knowing basically nothing about cooking, and my skills amounted mostly to boiling pre made pasta sides and cooking chicken breast I marinated in salad dressing on the stovetop, so really everything has been a crash course over the years. But I was just thinking about how my go to way of cooking fresh mushrooms back in the day was to simmer them like pasta in water and drain them off in the sink, which is just the worst on multiple levels lol.

I tried to make pork rillettes confited in duck fat (can't remember why,) when I was 21 and I think I added too much allspice or something and then my studio apartment smelled like duck fat and allspice for something like a year. Over a decade on and I still have a visceral response to the scent of burnt duck fat.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a best way to roast zucchini slices without them being soggy

Slice, salt and set on a rack for awhile to draw out the water, pat dry, roast about halfway THEN oil. I forgot to toss mine with oil before roasting once and just did it halfway through and it was the best zucchini I ever made

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mintymenman posted:

If you're okay grating it this recipe is stellar.

Stuffed zucchini is really hard to get right. If you're set on stuffing it, after you pull out the seeds, salt it and put it cut side down on a cooling rack for an hour or so, then either sear it in a hot pan, grill or broil it, then stuff w/ roasted jalapeno, feta, panko, cilantro, and tomato concasse. If you're planning on having it as a main, add canned black beans, chopped up inari, or whatever protein sounds good.

Thank you very much for this, I stuffed the monster zucchini on the weekend and now we have leftovers for days - most of which went into the freezer for some future I-don't-wanna-cook evening.

Trip report:
I spent most of my Sunday in the kitchen (well, while things were simmering I played Fallout for a while, but y'know) so I'm going to inflict photos on you.

Rather than use canned black beans, I decided to take a crack at the dried black beans I had bought ages ago with something in mind that never actually happened.
Monster Zucchini stuffed by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I added half a red onion, finely chopped, and a few cloves of garlic, pressed to 2 cups of black beans and 6 cups of water. The bean package (still have a bag in the cupboard, pictured is the jar of beans we poured 2 bags into) suggested 55 minutes of simmer if I did not want to soak.
The beans simmered for an hour, then for another 20 minutes, then needed more water, and I declared them done after another 30 minutes. SUCCESS. I don't think I've ever actually cooked beans from dried before - my wife has, many times, but this is probably a first for me.

On to the Monster
Roughly 30 cm long after trimming the stem end, and while I didn't weigh it after cutting and scooping, it was 2.5kg when harvested. It was very nice to slice, firm without being hard and the seeds-and-stuff came out easily.

I salted the cut halves and let them drip on a rack for about two hours. An impressive amount of water came out, enough to completely soak a paper towel just from wiping them down. I haven't had much luck with salting eggplant in the past, clearly the secret is longer times and giving the water a place to go instead of just pooling on the veg.

The stuffing
A 500g tub of mixed semi-dried tomatoes plus a few bell peppers (two red, one yellow) and some bird's eye chilies from our garden. I also chopped up a trio of dried habanero-like chilies from last year, but I only put in half after I (wisely) decided to taste a little piece. The bird's eye was a soft heat that rose and fell on my tongue over about two seconds. The dried chili was a sharp spike of heat at the back of my throat after a delay long enough to make me wonder if they were hot at all.
My thinking with the stuffing was FLAVOUR, under the assumption that the monster zucchini would be pretty bland. The heat of the chilies is not, in my opinion, a flavour by itself, it must act upon another flavour. The tomatoes and roasted peppers, plus the feta, provided plenty of flavour.
I roasted the peppers on the BBQ, and I think I overdid them a little. I scraped off the really black parts and sliced everything up and mixed in a bowl.
I also partly-cooked the zucchini on the BBQ. When I went to take it off after 10 minutes, I noticed there was quite a lot of water puddled inside (they were skin-side-down for the second 5 minutes) so I flipped them and gave them another minute to blow off as much water as I could. Clouds of steam that smelled delightful duly emerged from the BBQ.

I spooned the tomato/pepper/feta mixture into the scooped-out zucchini halves, and then added a layer of beans, and topped with a mixture of panko and grated pecorino cheese. Then into the oven at about 200 C for about 45 minutes.

It was delicious. I was aiming for "good enough" but somehow I got the heat from the chilies exactly right for my wife's and my own taste, and the amount of stuffing was nearly perfect. And the monster itself was not bland, and gave us a very nice flavour of its own.

The point of this exercise, in addition to the usual supper-plus-leftovers, was to find - and remember - something to do with the enormous zucchinis we seem to encounter every year. Last year, our neighbour gave us three of them and they sat on a table in the corner of the kitchen for months before I tried to tackle them. It wasn't very impressive. Recipes online seem to treat a 2-pound (1 Kg) zucchini as some kind of oh-my-god-it's-so-huge upper limit, but getting past double that size seems entirely routine around here. This one grew from not-worth-harvesting (perhaps 200 or 300 g) up to this size in about 6 days; we went on vacation on a Wednesday, came back on the Monday, and pulled this monster out of the garden on Tuesday.

The recipe linked above, to make fritters from shredded zucchini, looks excellent. I've asked my wife not to harvest the largest zucchini currently on a vine in the garden, I want to try again with another monster and those fritters are very appealing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
^^^awesome post

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Arkhamina posted:

As an aside, my partner does not agree that left over cornbread with sugar and milk is a substitute for breakfast cereal. Weirdo.

It is weird. You should use maple syrup. And maybe warm it all a bit.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ExecuDork posted:

I stuffed the monster zucchini on the weekend

this looks incredible and your post has me drooling :swoon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mintymenman posted:

Stuffed zucchini is really hard to get right.

Over here in the UK we call giant zucchinis marrows, they're pretty traditional and mum would often do us roasted stuffed ones, so googling for recipes around that might be helpful. You can either scoop out the whole marrow (I take the cap off and use a long spoon to empty it out) or slice it into inch or two thick rings and stuff those with mince/rice. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/stuffed-marrow-bake for example.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 1, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

feedmegin posted:

Over here in the UK we call giant zucchinis marrows, they're pretty traditional and mum would often do us roasted stuffed ones, so googling for recipes around that might be helpful. You can either scoop out the whole marrow (I take the cap off and use a long spoon to empty it out) or slice it into inch or two thick rings and stuff those with mince/rice. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/stuffed-marrow-bake for example.

From the gardening perspective I've picked up the habit of calling the plant "zucchini," the small ones "courgettes" and the big ones "marrows." I find it handy to have that distinction.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Ben Nevis posted:

It is weird. You should use maple syrup. And maybe warm it all a bit.

Ooh, should try that. I love maple syrup. I keep maple sugar (granulated!) in the cabinet too, it's awesome dusted on cookies where white sugar might be used.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Steve Yun posted:

Do you guys soak your rice 30 mins before cooking? Does it give it a better texture? This is the first I’m hearing this

the only thing i actively soak is pearl barley for about 10 minutes in boiling water before cooking. if you soak it for a little bit longer, maybe 20 or so minutes, it makes a not fantastic, but definitely edible sub for arborio rice. sue me.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

w4ddl3d33 posted:

the only thing i actively soak is pearl barley for about 10 minutes in boiling water before cooking. if you soak it for a little bit longer, maybe 20 or so minutes, it makes a not fantastic, but definitely edible sub for arborio rice. sue me.

I haven’t subbed barley for rice but did used to make a risotto-like dish with barley (orzotto maybe?) and butternut squash, caramelised onions and walnuts. It was delicious. We do not eat delicious barley anymore since my son got coeliac disease. 😟

Just checked, it’s orzotto. Very good. I miss it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Soaking chat

For aged steam or parboiled basmati, any type of medium grain rice, glutinous rice, brown rice, red rice, purple rice, black rice etc, I’ll soak it. The moisture content is too finicky otherwise. It’s not about cooking faster, it’s about cooking better.

For raw or barely legal basmati (grains will look bright white with no discoloured tips), long grain white, jasmine, ponni, Sona Masoori, short grain white rice, I don’t soak. The rice seems to soak up the moisture rather quickly, and I can’t notice too much of a difference between soaked and unsoaked.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Soaking chat

For aged steam or parboiled basmati, any type of medium grain rice, glutinous rice, brown rice, red rice, purple rice, black rice etc, I’ll soak it. The moisture content is too finicky otherwise. It’s not about cooking faster, it’s about cooking better.

For raw or barely legal basmati (grains will look bright white with no discoloured tips), long grain white, jasmine, ponni, Sona Masoori, short grain white rice, I don’t soak. The rice seems to soak up the moisture rather quickly, and I can’t notice too much of a difference between soaked and unsoaked.

Thanks, but I’d rather hear from someone who actually knows what they’re talking about when it comes to rice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of soaking rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIM_zjCmQ5Y

mystes
May 31, 2006

therattle posted:

Thanks, but I’d rather hear from someone who actually knows what they’re talking about when it comes to rice.
This is intended as a joke right

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

This is intended as a joke right

Very much so.

I defer to .dino on all matters culinary, particularly when it comes to rice. He sells the stuff for a living!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh right I forgot that he actually did that for a living

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

Oh right I forgot that he actually did that for a living

Yeah, he’s sold out to Big Rice

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, arroz traitor

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, arroz traitor

The puns we deserve

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Every year for my fiancés birthday I make her a fruit tart, and every year it seems it gets better and better. This year was no exception.

It was our first time eating pineberries and they’re very good. It will be disappointing if we can’t find them next year!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh wow I just thought the strawberries was mad underripe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question for the thread that I'm trying to puzzle out:

I've tapped my own Manitoba Maple trees two years straight for syrup and I'm going to do it again this year. But, I'm trying to find some way to automate some of the sap cooking so that I can do chunks of it hands-off. Manitoba Maple sap requires 60:1 cooking to produce syrup. If I were to put say 4 litres of fresh sap in a typical rice cooker and let it run, how much liquid would be left in the rice cooker when the boiling point of the sugar solution gets high enough to trip the rice cooker's switch?

By the way if you haven't tried it, Manitoba Maple (aka Boxelder) syrup is the superior flavour.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The rice cooker trips right at 212°F, which happens half a second after all the free water evaporates. Google sez maple syrup is done at 217-219°F so you're probably not going to get very close.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

The rice cooker trips right at 212°F, which happens half a second after all the free water evaporates. Google sez maple syrup is done at 217-219°F so you're probably not going to get very close.

I guess I'll need to look for a graph of sugar solution boiling points plotted against concentration but I was hoping someone here had the candy knowledge to double-check my thinking. I don't care if it only gets me 2/3 of the way there - just being able to boil off any significant portion of the water without needing to pay close attention would be nice, and then I can take it the rest of the way under direct supervision.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A new slow cooker will boil without auto shutoff. You can stick a probe thermometer in it to monitor; there are some that are smart and will alert your phone, and some that will just beep super loud

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yup, I'd say go for a slow cooker. Even if it doesn't reach a rolling boil, the evaporation will be considerably sped up and you could just leave it alone for days if it's in a place it can't hurt anyone if it goes wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do Chinese restaurants fry egg rolls without them getting all bubbly?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
beans pissa

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

veni veni veni posted:

It seems to be the wrappers themselves. I've heard that the frozen ones don't really bubble that much, whereas the refrigerated ones are thicker, starchier, and more prone to bubbling.

I've heard Little Chef and Wei Chuan frozen egg roll wrappers tossed around as brands to look for.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

This was a big deal in the recent series of Bake Off but I can't remember what the answer was.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190327463560350981

Italians when you cut prosciutto in the wrong direction

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 8, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Also, spring roll skins are different from egg roll skins. Spring roll skins wouldn't bubble if you put 220 bolts through them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looked on Apple Maps for a sugar free bakery to buy cupcakes for a friend, found one called Keto Sweets. To my surprise when I showed up it was a ghost kitchen in an industrial zone

Everything I’d read about ghost kitchens seemed nefarious like they were trying to trick unsuspecting DoorDash customers but when I went to their suite it was just two young girls who looked like they were trying their hand at a small business and I thought hey maybe this is the only sort of place they can afford in this real estate market and leasing out a unit in a shared work space like this might be opening up opportunities to mom and pop shops that might not have had a chance otherwise

Anyways the cupcakes were cold because I guess they stored them in the fridge. Surprisingly decent for sugar free, they used almond as the flour and erythritol as the sweetener, cake crumbled pretty closely to how wheat flour would. The frosting was decent too. It seemed to be simulating buttercream frosting but the sweetener was definitely distinct from sugar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I went to a ghost kitchen and there were no ghosts. ★☆☆☆☆

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I went to a ghost kitchen and there were no ghosts. ★☆☆☆☆

Did they at least have ghost peppers?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

therattle posted:

Did they at least have ghost peppers?

Sweet Heat Ghost Pepper Cupcakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spring roll skins wouldn't bubble if you put 220 bolts through them.

You'd be nuts to try it.