Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

dino. posted:

Rattle my love, have you tried Pongal? I know you like my type of food, so I think you’d enjoy it. Moong daal, rice, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, turmeric, and black pepper. It’s a creamy comforting dish that involves no long stirring. Also, easy to make. I can send you the version I made at the temple my dad was working at back in 2018. The folk coming in are it like they’d never seen food before.

Post it! Your vegan cookbook was one that got me more comfortable thinking about trying to express the veggies as they are rather than work towards a kind of meat-replacement in my cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

Rattle my love, have you tried Pongal? I know you like my type of food, so I think you’d enjoy it. Moong daal, rice, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, turmeric, and black pepper. It’s a creamy comforting dish that involves no long stirring. Also, easy to make. I can send you the version I made at the temple my dad was working at back in 2018. The folk coming in are it like they’d never seen food before.

Post this, please!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Discendo Vox posted:

Surely there is a way to combine these three things: alcohol, phonography, and stirring risotto.

I fed "A realistic image of a person stirring risotto at a stove in a kitchen, while drinking wine, and with a phonograph in the background" to Microsoft's image-generating AI

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I fed "A realistic image of a person stirring risotto at a stove in a kitchen, while drinking wine, and with a phonograph in the background" to Microsoft's image-generating AI

Despite the corn dog stirrer, that is some bland rear end lookin rice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

Despite the corn dog stirrer, that is some bland rear end lookin rice.

Well they did specify risotto.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The expression on their face reasonably matches the dish.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

I ate at the restaurant of the same name in NYC many moons ago. I’d love the recipe! Thank you!

As you wish.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033053

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

At exactly 2:53 in the music video for the veritable Ric Flair Drip by 21 Savage, Offset, and Metro Boomin:

Leland Tyler Wayne, or Metro Boomin, is seen carving a roast chicken directly across the breastbone with a bread knife.

This confounds reason and I propose the only rational conclusion is that Boomin, a member of the So Icey Boyz, has never once in his lifetime carved any poultry despite being an internationally appraised and celebrated musical force.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Amazing, thank you!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

At exactly 2:53 in the music video for the veritable Ric Flair Drip by 21 Savage, Offset, and Metro Boomin:

Leland Tyler Wayne, or Metro Boomin, is seen carving a roast chicken directly across the breastbone with a bread knife.

It's like that picture of the worker holding the solder tip by the metal heat pipe, which if they were actually soldering would just burn the poo poo out of their hands.

So it's probably like "alright Metro, go ahead and pretend to carve that chicken with this knife"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made a risotto tonight with home-grown asparagus, mushrooms, and home-made Iberico style ham.

It was very good. It was also my first attempt at a ham and there will be many more whenever I get my hands on the pork.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just a thought: we should only allow Chinese exchange students to go to schools in Louisiana from now on

https://news.yahoo.com/lunch-suffering-white-people-food-154422291.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The other night my son wanted a Japanese stew so I cooked some sweet potatoes with miso, ginger and soy (and a bit of garlic as I grabbed the minced garlic instead of ginger and added some before realising), with a splash of honey. Very tasty. I bought short-grained brown rice to go with it as I thought the firmer bite and nutty texture would go well with the soft, sweet stew. I was right, but what surprised me was how good the rice was. It was really tasty, nicer than long-grain brown rice. More flavour, great texture - almost like barley. Really good. Try it!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Just a thought: we should only allow Chinese exchange students to go to schools in Louisiana from now on

https://news.yahoo.com/lunch-suffering-white-people-food-154422291.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&

UNSURPRISINGLY, the comments are racist as gently caress AF.

And yes the food of suffering about sums it up, eh?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

welp

Instant Pot is filing for bankruptcy, apparently

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh, I just came to post about that on the pressure cooker thread. It seems like they should be able to print money, but aside from people mistreating them, IPs seem to be decently built. Never had an issue with mine, and I don’t know that I’d replace it anyway since I don’t use it all that much.

mystes
May 31, 2006

they got ruined by a private equity company of course

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like my IP pressure cooker so much that I just got their air fryer. We are renovating and won’t have an oven for a while so this will be our oven for the next few months (and I’ll hang onto it when we get our new kitchen). I was just reading an article about how they went bust

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At least there are tons of knock off ips now so it should be possible to get a countertop pressure cooker even if ip itself disappears

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommonShore posted:

At least there are tons of knock off ips now so it should be possible to get a countertop pressure cooker even if ip itself disappears
unless those disappear too as a result of decreased demand (simply because lots of people already have them and won't need to replace them for a while) which would suck

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CommonShore posted:

Does IP have any IP on their IPs?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

unless those disappear too as a result of decreased demand (simply because lots of people already have them and won't need to replace them for a while) which would suck

They probably wouldn't disappear entirely, all sorts of poo poo is just made in small quantities or on the cheap.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Electric pressure cookers were around and widely available way before the instant pot. They just popularized it. You’ll definitely be able to easily get an electric pressure cooker in 2 or 10 years.

Personally I’m worried about Corelle!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668631268073050115

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
gently caress private equity guys

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/12/23758602/instant-pot-bankruptcy-new-products-2023-decline

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Public service announcement: Basque cheesecake is the best cheesecake

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Public service announcement: Basque cheesecake is the best cheesecake

I don't know if it THE best cheesecake but it's definitely A best cheesecake. There's a really good bakery/restaurant near us that sometimes makes it and I buy my wife and I a slice. I've made a GF version for my son (cheesecake is his favourite) but it just wasn't quite as good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’ve slept on homemade falafel for too long. The hand cranked processor substitute I use couldn’t blitz everything fine enough to hold a shape, but we eventually got solid pan fried patties after tripling the flour in the recipe. The cooling rack examples went from Fail, Awful to passable falafel by the time the mix ran out.

Exponentially better and cheaper than the falafel options at nearby salad chains.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I used to have a meat grinder and tried to make falafels, but I never wanted to fry them and just ended up trying to bake them instead. Never really turned out very good. Maybe I should try again, I've been having a good time pan-frying tofu in my cast iron dutch oven so falafel should come out fine.

A good falafel restaurant is great though. Never had them from a salad chain, there's like 3 or 4 falafel places nearby that I can get some good falafel and good hummus from.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Y'all made me look it up and apparently my favorite place for falafel in Houston has relocated! They closed during COVID, thrilled to see them back.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I wonder what it would be like if I prepared some chickpeas and soy as if I was going to make falafel, but gave it a brief steam and fermented it like tempeh. Probably couldn’t use the herbs/onions in the mix but the texture may be interesting. Or possibly terrible.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Okay, so the local grocer had $2/lb brisket, so I guess this is happening now. Is there a fairly straightforward guide to babby’s first smoke? I figure it’s my all day Monday project. Have got a rub from a friend from Dallas, and I’m a fairly accomplished cook and griller, but this is the voodoo side of things, and I am prepared to accept failure (after which I will simply confit the dry brisket in duck fat, shred, and make tacos).

I appreciate any goondance in advance.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Wanted to show off my CSA haul from yesterday. The radishes are the ones with pretty pink rings inside, the lettuce is so pretty I want to stick it in a vase. Strawberry variety is 10x as flavorful as store bought, if tiny.

I'm eating a lot of 'food tubes' as my sister calls them. Wraps with veg and cheese and some sort of sauce. Finally found good GF wraps and it's my new food lazy option. Comes out to about 36$ a box, which is nice for organic produce, and some boxes midsummer are freaking huge.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Eeyo posted:

I wonder what it would be like if I prepared some chickpeas and soy as if I was going to make falafel, but gave it a brief steam and fermented it like tempeh. Probably couldn’t use the herbs/onions in the mix but the texture may be interesting. Or possibly terrible.

I've done tempeh with chickpeas, soaked overnight, then ground through the large die on a sausage grinder. I've never done fresh alliums in it, but you can get decent onion flavor with leek or scallion ash. No more than a teaspoon per quarter sheet, it gets bitter pretty quickly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

Okay, so the local grocer had $2/lb brisket, so I guess this is happening now. Is there a fairly straightforward guide to babby’s first smoke? I figure it’s my all day Monday project. Have got a rub from a friend from Dallas, and I’m a fairly accomplished cook and griller, but this is the voodoo side of things, and I am prepared to accept failure (after which I will simply confit the dry brisket in duck fat, shred, and make tacos).

Have you ever smoked a pork butt before, or is this your first smoke ever?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bloody ghost titty posted:

In simplest possible terms:

If it's untrimmed, trim the fat until there's just a thin layer over everything. Not thin enough to see the meat through, but just slightly thicker.

Take the brisket out of the fridge 45 minutes to an hour before it's going into the smoker. Apply the rub when the surface is tacky but not wet.

Smoke at ~225-250 F. If you want help on how to set up a smoker for a long smoke, the search term you probably want is "the Minion method".

Keep checking the temperature in the thickest part of the brisket, watch it go up until it stops. This is called "the stall". The stall lasts a variable length of time. When the meat goes past the stall (and the temperature starts going up again), it's done.

Take the brisket out of the smoker, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil, stick it in an empty ice chest to rest for half an hour, up to a couple hours.

Cut. Eat.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

One trick to cutting brisket perfectly (according to a friend who used to compete) is to slice a small piece off one end before you apply the rub or smoke it. You want to cut it against the grain, which is much easier to see while the brisket is still raw, and without the bark.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Phone posting so apologies if I didn’t find the right thread, but does anyone have New Orleans food/bar recs to share? Not focusing on fine dining, but would love some places to hang out and catch up with friends I haven’t hung out with in person in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have a practice of buying my father mustard for holidays- what kind should I get him for father's day? Historically he likes Handlmaier's and other German ones.