Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

um excuse me posted:

Not sure in which direction you mean granular, but sticking with stuff common to super markets would be nice to have some consistency.
All salts that are just salt (as opposed to flavoured salts--garlic salt, celery salt, or whatever) are just salt. They are equivalently salty by weight. The differences are due to grain size--bigger grain size means, on average, lower density, which is to say less weight per unit volume.

So all kosher salts are "less salty" than standard table salt because they all have a larger grain size and therefore a tsp (or whatever) will weigh less. Different kosher salts will vary among themselves depending on the size and uniformity of the flakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't a salt theoretically have other minerals in them making them less salty?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Your iodized salt does have other things in it (iodine, namely), but it doesn't make it less salty.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like maldon salt for finishing just because it looks fancy as gently caress and adds a nice little crunch.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Understood. Thanks for the information everyone.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I’ve always gone recipe->shopping even after I got to a point where I’m comfortable in the kitchen. Shopping based on quality is probably smarter, but it’s not something I’ve worked on.

Plus I’m always dumb and shop on weekends, so I like having my route planned out so I can zoom through the store and avoid crowds :)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I always check the circulars and figure out what's on sale and then from there work out about 8-9 dinners based on that + what I still have in the fridge and then make a list based on what I need for those.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

This is interesting to me because I never make a shopping list and always just see what looks good or is on sale etc when I'm there. I assumed most people do the same but maybe I'm in the irresponsible minority.

I used to rely on shopping lists a lot less, but these days since I got to the grocery probably 2-3x less I rely on them a lot. I want to make sure I get everything I need so I don't have to go back. That plus my wife doesn't drive so I've been doing all the shopping solo so I make a list in consultation with her to make sure we get everything.

But a lot of stuff I'll still just put down like "vegetable" or "fruit" and pick up whatever I feel like.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

All salts that are just salt (as opposed to flavoured salts--garlic salt, celery salt, or whatever) are just salt. They are equivalently salty by weight. The differences are due to grain size--bigger grain size means, on average, lower density, which is to say less weight per unit volume.

So all kosher salts are "less salty" than standard table salt because they all have a larger grain size and therefore a tsp (or whatever) will weigh less. Different kosher salts will vary among themselves depending on the size and uniformity of the flakes.

That plus reduced sodium alternatives like potassium chloride, which can have more or less salty flavor than good 'ol sodium chloride. But unless you actually need to use them you shouldn't buy them, they tend to also tase different than salt, if still somewhat salty.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Eeyo posted:

I used to rely on shopping lists a lot less, but these days since I got to the grocery probably 2-3x less I rely on them a lot. I want to make sure I get everything I need so I don't have to go back. That plus my wife doesn't drive so I've been doing all the shopping solo so I make a list in consultation with her to make sure we get everything.

But a lot of stuff I'll still just put down like "vegetable" or "fruit" and pick up whatever I feel like.

Yeah same. I miss being able to feel free to vaguely wander around the grocery store looking for inspiration, now I feel the double pressure of 1) not spending more time in there than necessary and 2) making sure I've got enough poo poo to last me at least a week so that I'm not making too many trips

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use a shopping list because I have children, and they are constantly and unreasonably demanding of food.

If I miss a meal because we don’t have anything in, or I need to go shopping to get some ingredients, it’s not that big a deal, but my constantly and selfishly growing kids have this bizarre need for regular and substantial meals.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah same. I miss being able to feel free to vaguely wander around the grocery store looking for inspiration, now I feel the double pressure of 1) not spending more time in there than necessary and 2) making sure I've got enough poo poo to last me at least a week so that I'm not making too many trips
Same here. In the Before Times 90% of the time I'd be stopping by the store to pick up whatever I was planning on cooking that night, and most of the time I wouldn't have a plan before looking through the produce section to see what looked good that day and then looking through the butcher counter if the produce section didn't decide it for me. Nowadays I'm getting about 3/4 of my produce from the CSA (instead of maybe 25% before), and I'm always micromanaging what's in each delivery beforehand. I'm also getting a lot of stuff like dairy and some meat/fish from them (it's all local producers and availability of everything is limited, so it's pretty much a crapshoot except, as I've commented before, for ducks. they always have had ducks). That's every other week. The majority of my animal protein has been coming from a meat CSA that delivers once every 6 weeks, so that's even more long term planning. And the last like 25% of the produce (not counting what I get from gardening) I've been getting delivered. My girlfriend or I had been making trips to the local grocer's no more frequently than once a week to get stuff that we couldn't wait for the CSA delivery for (mostly some dairy stuff, tomatoes--which the CSA hasn't had since they were in season--and stuff like toilet paper, toothpaste, and so on). Since the big spike around November/December we've been doing curbside or delivery for everything because of the number of no-maskers, dicknosers, clerks that pull down their mask to talk, and so on. Anyway, that's still no more frequently than once a week.

And haven't seen bread flour in stock locally since like last summer, so I've been buying all my flour online from mills that sell direct to consumers, and that means planning ahead and storing a bunch so as to not get killed on the shipping costs.

Which all means that I've had to more or less completely change the way I plan meals. And, you know, I'd rather go back to doing it the other way but holy poo poo I've always known where my next meal was coming from and haven't had to deal with any major power outages or anything so I'm counting my loving blessings.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

How, uh, granular do you want to get with your answer?

One

prayer group posted:

Your iodized salt does have other things in it (iodine, namely), but it doesn't make it less salty.

It makes it less salty by volume, but it's probably undiscernable

Edit: missed the last page

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 21, 2021

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

20 Blunts posted:

we finally got around to getting some black cardamom and man this is probably my favorite spice, any particular dishes this is known to be used in?

I believe pho uses black cardamom.

Whatever you do, don’t use black cardamom as if it were green cardamom. They’re two different beasts with regards to taste.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scientastic posted:

I use a shopping list because I have children, and they are constantly and unreasonably demanding of food.

If I miss a meal because we don’t have anything in, or I need to go shopping to get some ingredients, it’s not that big a deal, but my constantly and selfishly growing kids have this bizarre need for regular and substantial meals.

This is what shifted cooking and food preparation from a fun hobby to a punishing chore for me 😅

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

SubG posted:

Which all means that I've had to more or less completely change the way I plan meals. And, you know, I'd rather go back to doing it the other way but holy poo poo I've always known where my next meal was coming from and haven't had to deal with any major power outages or anything so I'm counting my loving blessings.

That's true as hell, I'm drat lucky that my answer to "how has covid affected you?" is so mild that things like "I can't spend two hours looking at every single item in the grocery store thoughtfully" or "I couldn't find arborio rice for two months so I finally just went and made risotto with calrose" are on the list

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Brawnfire posted:

This is what shifted cooking and food preparation from a fun hobby to a punishing chore for me 😅

I get that. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s a punishing chore, I still enjoy cooking for the whole family, but the routine cookery is definitely less of a fun creative experience and more “I am doing something I know how to do blindfolded” zen state.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bit of an exaggeration, of course, but lordy I'm looking for shortcuts and quick meals and pre-preparing options way more these days. I used to really go for it in the kitchen, full day prep and slow cooks and all.

I don't think it would be as much of an issue if we weren't doing quarantine poo poo, however. That definitely makes things a lot more tedious overall.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Here's another dumb question. Where do y'all get wasabi or saffron? I'd love to explore both but the cost makes it intimidating to play with.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

um excuse me posted:

Here's another dumb question. Where do y'all get wasabi or saffron? I'd love to explore both but the cost makes it intimidating to play with.
Penzeys has a couple grades of saffron and Penzeys generally a good answer on where to get spices if you're not super price sensitive and if you're looking at saffron and wasabi you almost certainly aren't.

For wasabi I doubt many people seek out real wasabi because the coloured horseradish is what is almost universally used, to the point I think most people would find the taste of real wasabi weird in e.g. sushi. Could be wrong about that. I don't know a supplier for real wasabi as a bulk spice, but if you're real serious about it and live in a reasonably cool environment you can grow your own. Like most edible rhizomes, if you have the conditions it likes they're pretty easy plants to take care of.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Bit of an exaggeration, of course, but lordy I'm looking for shortcuts and quick meals and pre-preparing options way more these days. I used to really go for it in the kitchen, full day prep and slow cooks and all.

I don't think it would be as much of an issue if we weren't doing quarantine poo poo, however. That definitely makes things a lot more tedious overall.

Yeah, I enjoy cooking but lockdown has made it more of a chore. I tend not to buy ingredients for specific recipes but have a cupboard/freezer full of staples which can be turned into a meal on their own or with the addition of veg from veg box delivery or occasional trip to shops.

Having a child has definitely made me rely more on fast/easier meals or if I spend time it’ll be on something that feeds us for 3-4 meals. Luckily my son loves eating and eats most of the things we like. (Understandably he doesn’t like too much spice heat or very strongly spiced food but is otherwise easy to feed). Cooking fir a child who enjoys his food is tremendously gratifying. Tonight I spent some time making on his his favourites, lasagne (GF and V).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This place will ship you fresh wasabi. I haven’t tried theirs.

https://half-moon-bay-wasabi.myshopify.com

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't you need one of those special trays with the bumpy pattern on it or whatever to grind the wasabi against to produce the pulp? Otherwise you basically have a very dense root vegetable AFAIK.

e: Looked it up, it's actually the rhizome of the plant and you finely grate it (microplane?).

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you buy a pound of wasabi that place will mail you a grater.

I've had fresh wasabi grated on sharkskin at a couple fancy sushi places, it's pretty good. I don't know if I'd pay $125 to get a pound of it shipped to me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dave Arnold’s Cooking Issues podcast had Alex Guarnaschelli, Rick Bayless, Kenji López-Alt, Jim Lahey, and Harold McGee on to talk about the passing of Maria Guarnaschelli, who was the editor for most of their books. She sounded like a scary son of a bitch who knew her poo poo and cracked the whip on authors to make their books better but would get into yelling matches with critics to defend her authors too

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/cooking-issues/id380317598?i=1000508412332

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I always check the circulars and figure out what's on sale and then from there work out about 8-9 dinners based on that + what I still have in the fridge and then make a list based on what I need for those.

I have an app that has all the local fliers (it's called Flipp, don't know if it's a Canada thing or not,) use that to plan meals, then go shopping. It's searchable and once you start following the fliers you can sort of sense when there's going to be a good deal coming up on something so you're not stuck in like, Week 2 of Cheap Liver or whatever. Occasionally you get the "hey the meat dept. manager is an idiot and ordered twice as many chicken thighs as normal!" deals and it's fine to go off list since they don't often make it into the flier.

It does help to keep costs down and if you have something that's regular price, you're still ahead on the rest. It's just thinking ahead - it's also good to look at the price/100g on competing products which is usually on the shelf label now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

20 Blunts posted:

we finally got around to getting some black cardamom and man this is probably my favorite spice, any particular dishes this is known to be used in?

It's great in baked goods too. Pretty much anything you'd use cinnamon in can take it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SubG posted:

Penzeys has a couple grades of saffron and Penzeys generally a good answer on where to get spices if you're not super price sensitive and if you're looking at saffron and wasabi you almost certainly aren't.

For wasabi I doubt many people seek out real wasabi because the coloured horseradish is what is almost universally used, to the point I think most people would find the taste of real wasabi weird in e.g. sushi. Could be wrong about that. I don't know a supplier for real wasabi as a bulk spice, but if you're real serious about it and live in a reasonably cool environment you can grow your own. Like most edible rhizomes, if you have the conditions it likes they're pretty easy plants to take care of.

The rhizomes take about two years to mature, and they're very finicky plants prone to dying unless you have conditions exactly right, so you're better off buying some from a commercial supplier unless you're really invested in long garden experiments.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Enfys posted:

The rhizomes take about two years to mature, and they're very finicky plants prone to dying unless you have conditions exactly right, so you're better off buying some from a commercial supplier unless you're really invested in long garden experiments.
Yeah, "you can grow it in a garden" wasn't intended as a short term/quick fix. On the other hand two years is downright zippy compared to growing an immature fruit tree or something like that. I've got a Sichuan peppercorn plant that's going on four years old and I haven't gotten more than a handful of peppercorns out of it yet.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

20 Blunts posted:

Long simmered north Indian meat curries often tend to use it. I bet it would be amazing in a BBQ sauce because of the spicy smokiness.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cardamom is in garam masala which I think you'll find in a ton of different regional dishes beyond simmered stew. I thought it was broader than Punjab dishes but certainly not an area I know much about. I thought it is in a lot of vegetarian dishes like chickpea masala.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some black cardamom recipes:

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/aloo-chole-masala-aloo-chana/
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/matar-pulao-peas-pulao-recipe
https://luckypeacharchive.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/khao-soi-kai/
https://www.whiskaffair.com/amritsari-chole-recipe/
https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjabi-chole-chickpeas-in-a-spicy-gravy/
http://spicekichnam.com/chole-masala-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/collard-greens-braised-in-coconut-milk-and-tomato-recipe.html
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/basmati-rice-with-black-cardamom-and-lime-recipe.html

Ethiopian cooking uses black cardamom so check out some Ethiopian recipes too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Cardamom is in garam masala which I think you'll find in a ton of different regional dishes beyond simmered stew. I thought it was broader than Punjab dishes but certainly not an area I know much about. I thought it is in a lot of vegetarian dishes like chickpea masala.

Black or green? We use green cardamom a lot (wife loves it) but I’ve never used black. I should explore...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Black cardamom is smoked. Use at your discretion. Green cardamom is an amazing thing, we use staggering amounts of it in pastries in Scandinavia.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's white cardamom then? I thought it was just blanched green but I'm seeing some people say it's a different thing entirely?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been biting my tongue but I will feel remiss if I don’t mention that cardamom + Campari is the secret to the best Negroni I’ve ever had.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How do you put in the cardamom

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Force de Fappe posted:

Black cardamom is smoked. Use at your discretion. Green cardamom is an amazing thing, we use staggering amounts of it in pastries in Scandinavia.

I don’t think this is true. It has a smokier flavour, but it’s a different genus of plant within the same family.

I think some white cardamom is just bleached green cardamom, but there is real white cardamom as well, another genus, more closely related to black cardamom than green.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

How do you put in the cardamom

Scrappys cardamom bitters, infusing the Campari with crushed cardamom, or just crushing a few pods in the mixing glass. I hesitated because I think I’ve always used green cardamom but it’s too delicious of a combination to not share with as many people as often as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

The Maestro posted:

Scrappys cardamom bitters, infusing the Campari with crushed cardamom, or just crushing a few pods in the mixing glass. I hesitated because I think I’ve always used green cardamom but it’s too delicious of a combination to not share with as many people as often as possible.
Basically the only things black cardamom and green cardamom have in common is shape and name. This is like saying someone can use MSG instead of sugar in their cookie because they're both white powders.