Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

Honestly I'm not sure how chat threads can get derails anyway, we talk about plenty of not-cooking things. Although to be fair they're usually just casual shoot the poo poo kind of things, not "help me create an etsy store"

I mean I understand the concept of chat thread but "how do I best profit from my aunt's labor" doesn't scream "food chat" at me personally and isn't the content I came here for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

Yeah there’s a bunch of random seed sellers on there now. Several of the big non-Etsy seed sellers appear to be having very high demand and longer turnaround so I ended up buying a couple packets of flower seeds off of a seller on Etsy, so hopefully I got a legit one.

The plant I was looking for had several suspicious listings, like they had photos of 2 different but closely related species on the listings. Like how do I trust that I’m going to get anything good when they’re just putting up any old photos? The one I bought from had the 2 species listed separately and the photos appeared to be taken by the seller, so at least the seller did her homework.

The seed stuff that really throw me is the obvious fake plants on Amazon. There are a bunch of unnaturally blue looking plants and stuff like that which are obviously photoshopped. I just hope not very many people get scammed.

oh man lol i know. people were recommending these things once online and refusing to believe me when i was like these are obviously fake.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

To share some bit of Reno dining scene drama, this came out last night:

https://thisisreno.com/2021/03/sierra-st-skyline-kitchen-owner-again-faces-backlash-for-online-comments/

I ate at Sierra Street once, and meh. Even in COVID times, running a dinner spot in Reno is tough because the general quality and expectation is so high. I got into it with this guy once at a bar as well, and he's just as much of an rear end in a top hat as this story makes it sound. That said, though, this should be kept around as a lesson for anyone running a small business: never respond to the comments, or if you do, only do so in a conciliatory way. Even if your "brand" was to be terrible to your customers a la some sort of Soup Nazi thing, I can't see how this sort of thing would ever be beneficial.

or like. even if you don’t i feel like there’s some middle ground between being sugar and light and calling people fags

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any suggestions or recipes to use up baby portobello mushrooms? I have two delitainers worth after buying a bunch on manager special and steaming them so they’d keep a little longer. My lazy choice is Kenji’s easy mushroom soup recipe.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bartlebee posted:

Any suggestions or recipes to use up baby portobello mushrooms? I have two delitainers worth after buying a bunch on manager special and steaming them so they’d keep a little longer. My lazy choice is Kenji’s easy mushroom soup recipe.

dice, sauté with butter and thyme, stir in some sour cream and bake in a galette

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

I mean I understand the concept of chat thread but "how do I best profit from my aunt's labor" doesn't scream "food chat" at me personally and isn't the content I came here for

Eh, I’d suggest to just ignore it. It’s a general
chat thread mostly but not exclusively about food and eating.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m officially a boomer retailer and didn’t realize the power of social media influence. One of those recipe tiktok accounts posted a baked feta pasta video and that week’s feta sales jumped 175% above trend.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

mediaphage posted:

dice, sauté with butter and thyme, stir in some sour cream and bake in a galette

Thank you; this is really similar to a Christmas dish from my grandma that I do every year, with sauteed onions and parmesan. Looks disgusting and is so delicious and savory.

I presented three options to my girlfriend: yours, the soup, and a fritatta with mushroom, feta, and broccoli. She chose the soup because it's, gasp, 54 DEGREES in Los Angeles right now, so now I have soup simmering on the stove. Never trust Californians, choosing a winter dish in March.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bartlebee posted:

Thank you; this is really similar to a Christmas dish from my grandma that I do every year, with sauteed onions and parmesan. Looks disgusting and is so delicious and savory.

I presented three options to my girlfriend: yours, the soup, and a fritatta with mushroom, feta, and broccoli. She chose the soup because it's, gasp, 54 DEGREES in Los Angeles right now, so now I have soup simmering on the stove. Never trust Californians, choosing a winter dish in March.

i do it a lot with a pan of caramelized onions, too! they're also really great with butter and thyme.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

tonight i ground some salt for popcorn, and i guess last time i used my mortar for some rosemary i forgot to clean it

this poo poo is next level delicious oh my god

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

tonight i ground some salt for popcorn, and i guess last time i used my mortar for some rosemary i forgot to clean it

I love rosemary, and popcorn, so yeah. I’m literally salivating imaging it.

I often say to myself “happy is the man who can make himself popcorn”.

If I tried the same thing I don’t think it would work out so well. We use ours mostly for grinding up :catdrugs:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

Glad to learn I’m not the only one who use a mortar and pestle to make popcorn salt

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Glad to learn I’m not the only one who use a mortar and pestle to make popcorn salt

What else would you do when you run out of Flavacol?

My favorite is putting the salt in the mortar with szechuan peppercorns and some chile.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just started using the M/P to grind popcorn salt too.
My partner wanted to try that butter flavored powder they sell next to all the popcorn stuff surprise it tastes like poo poo.
I'll probably end up ordering some tapioca maltodextrin and make our own.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I used to go to a little art theater in the town I moved to after college, it was great and had a very small, quaint little concession stand where you could buy canned soda, coffee, or tea, and there was a little cart of fix-your-own popcorn toppings. The one that changed my life was curry powder, just cheap supermarket curry powder-- I used to be iffy on popcorn in general but popcorn with curry powder is like a number one snack-craving treat for me now. My wife loves to put a little tajin on hers which is also very tasty.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Popcorn is actually bad, no matter how good the seasoning

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mods??

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
MODS!!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MOD CHALLENGE

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What else would you do when you run out of Flavacol?
You can run out of Flavacol?

I think I'm about halfway through the carton I bought in 2011.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Thank you to everyone but Scientastic for reminding me I'm out of popcorn kernels.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I like to buy white and yellow kernels and mix them 50/50. I think it's a weird mental tic from having been stuck at home so long that I just desperately need things to actually have control of because I'm constantly low-key stressed and have been picking up odd quirks a-la Darkest Dungeon over the last year. Also it looks nice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i got tired of staring at the half used jar of multicoloured popcorn kernels that had been sitting in the cupboard since before we moved here so i just made grits

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

You can run out of Flavacol?

I think I'm about halfway through the carton I bought in 2011.

Some of us have a salt .... thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Some of us have a salt .... thing.

Lick. :eng101:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Look you could at least buy me a drink first.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yeah, but LOL:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Look you could at least buy me a drink first.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Why doesn't my asian market have premade aburaage? I just want some kitsune udon... :negative:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Why doesn't my asian market have premade aburaage? I just want some kitsune udon... :negative:

I'm not usually a huge fan of deep frying but aburaage is suuuuuuper easy to make. You slice it so thin it really doesn't take much oil to cover it. I flip it a few times anyway just to be safe.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I'm not usually a huge fan of deep frying but aburaage is suuuuuuper easy to make. You slice it so thin it really doesn't take much oil to cover it. I flip it a few times anyway just to be safe.

Yeah I tried that with a block once, but I'm not really sure I did it right, because it never really softened to my satisfaction when I did the cooking down the sauce part.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

popcorn chat has me missing iowa where my pals and i got private screenings of movies at the community theater with free soda and popcorn (had to pay retail on the candy though) for a donation and a promise to clean up after ourselves. we all brought our own party favors and it owned :(

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Has anyone used a portable induction cooktop for deep frying? Deep fried food rules but it makes the house smell bad so I was thinking of picking up a propane burner so I could fry outside. After seeing these things everywhere I'm thinking getting an induction burner would make things a bit easier and add an addition way to keep stuff warm whenever having dinner parties becomes a thing again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It should work just fine. I use a portable induction burner for hotpot, and it works perfectly for keeping the broth at the right temperature. The only issue you might have is the heat of your oil dropping when you add cold things to fry and the burner taking a few more seconds to get hot again.

I fry outdoors in my giant rear end wok over a converted propane turkey burner, fwiw.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I too am part of the portable induction hot pot crew. But if I were frying outdoors I'd use a turkey fryer burner since I could leave it outside and it will be powerful enough to manage the oil temp better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Horn posted:

Has anyone used a portable induction cooktop for deep frying? Deep fried food rules but it makes the house smell bad so I was thinking of picking up a propane burner so I could fry outside. After seeing these things everywhere I'm thinking getting an induction burner would make things a bit easier and add an addition way to keep stuff warm whenever having dinner parties becomes a thing again.

yes. i do this when i make doughnuts. make sure you use an extension cord that’s properly rated to carry a full load with little voltage drop. they’re thick and expensive and use as short of one as you can. also, look for one with non capacitive controls if possible, or otherwise keep a good rag handy for cleaning. getting a little oil on the unit can make it really hard to control. i’ve never had an issue with maintaining oil temp even when doing dozens of doughnuts a half dozen at a time as those units can still dump a poo poo ton of heat into a pot.

additionally a nice fan in a kitchen window will vent more than most hoods and go a long way toward mitigating odours if the above is too much trouble.

if you don’t mind the cost there are nice buffet servers and warming platforms that will do a better job for parties imo but that’s not really the question at hand.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah I tried that with a block once, but I'm not really sure I did it right, because it never really softened to my satisfaction when I did the cooking down the sauce part.

That’s true, it gets supes crispy. For me letting it soak in my udon bowl let it soften up enough to taste right; took a few minutes though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Scientastic posted:

Popcorn is actually bad, no matter how good the seasoning

GO BACK TO HELL YOU DEVIL

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At this point I'm genuinely worried what Scientastic would do given such a thing.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I too am part of the portable induction hot pot crew. But if I were frying outdoors I'd use a turkey fryer burner since I could leave it outside and it will be powerful enough to manage the oil temp better.

Turkey fryer is certainly the better solution but my outdoor space is pretty limited which is the main appeal of something I can just prop up on a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i would argue that most popcorn is pretty terrible.

it's decent if super freshly popped in ripping hot oil and drenched in butter and salt, but so is just about anything edible

bags of pre-popped popcorn are especially terrible. yum, cheese powder-covered styrofoam