Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If I remember my dough in a tube sizes correctly wouldn't the triangles be way too big for lil smokies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I impulse bought 2 packs of cocktail weenies because they were on sale. I made the standard 'weenies in sweet/spicy bbqish sauce', any ideas on something not that to do with them? I'm drawing a blank.

Bake them with sauerkraut

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

If I remember my dough in a tube sizes correctly wouldn't the triangles be way too big for lil smokies?

Anne Whateley posted:

Buy a tube of crescent rolls. Cut into 3 triangles per precut triangle, wrap dogs, bake, no regrets.
Depending on how anal you are, you can count or estimate the number of dogs and figure out optimal cutting from there

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 22, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
In my defense I'm asking about what to do with lil smokies that I impulse bought, it can be assumed I'm probably high. That's no excuse for skimming posts though, my bad.

edit: Not sure if I'm weenie measuring levels of anal, I hope not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I impulse bought 2 packs of cocktail weenies because they were on sale. I made the standard 'weenies in sweet/spicy bbqish sauce', any ideas on something not that to do with them? I'm drawing a blank.

Eat them cold out of the package in the dark while contemplating god/humanity/death

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Wrap them in bacon then cook them in the oven. British pigs in blankets

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

We usually go for beanie weenies or my in laws "sausage stew."

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Watching this drat fool dump quart after quart of All-In-One seasonings into a pot for a shrimp or crab boil :stare:
and page after page of loving morons in the comment stream "awww yeah this is the best thing ever 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwArjmoAW8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlnGq0EbFo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCmABYFQZ0

I find a few others over spicing the same way. is this just a thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2d5sZBQrC4

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think there are two main factors that make it somewhat less outrageous

1) you're boiling it, most of the seasoning stays in the liquid. I know when I do cocktail shrimp on the stove, and it says like 2 Tbsp of Old Bay for a pound of shrimp, you aren't tasting the Old Bay.

2) he's legit making like 10 lbs of shrimp, 10 lbs of crabs, 15 lobsters, and that's after God knows how many pounds of corn and potatoes. If you do the math, I think it's spread out more than you might expect

That said, it still looks over the top. That said, he can invite me over any day

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Having been to more than a handful of crawfish boils, that water needs to be heavily spiced to impart any flavor. I don't see any problems. The bottles of lemon juice are new to me, but gently caress it, I'd give it a shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you freeze the boiling water (for lack of a better word) for next time? Because that looks like at least $75 worth of juice and spices.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Do you freeze the boiling water (for lack of a better word) for next time? Because that looks like at least $75 worth of juice and spices.

It was like, $400 to $500 worth of ingredients. I don’t know if I would risk ruining an event and hundreds of dollars of ingredients because I’m too cheap to use fresh spices.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

In my defense I'm asking about what to do with lil smokies that I impulse bought, it can be assumed I'm probably high. That's no excuse for skimming posts though, my bad.

edit: Not sure if I'm weenie measuring levels of anal, I hope not.

GWS General Chat: Weenie Measuring Levels of Anal, I hope not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Discussion > Goons With Spoons > ruining an event and hundreds of dollars of ingredients because I’m too cheap to use fresh spices.

( Too bad it won't fit)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just freeze ten gallons of water and use it again later.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PSA: mixing up your N2O and CO2 cartridges is not ideal when you want to make sweet whipped cream. BUT if you serve it on chocolate mousse with raspberry syrup, everyone will imagine that the tartness is intentional. That is, until you serve yourself last, get a taste, and burst out laughing of embarrassment.

It wasn't too bad and will make a funny story, I think!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know if it was this thread, but thanks to whoever recommended the ATK tv show cookbook. This thing is an insane amount of recipes for $20.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

What’s everyone’s favorite cookie to bake?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Same Great Paste posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite cookie to bake?

I make a chocolate chocolate chip with toffee bits every christmas, as a roundabout means of self-harm

Oh, and red velvet cookies with white chocolate chunks

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Chocolate chip. No questions.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Peanut butter cookies, mostly because I can't have them very often (allergic person in the household).

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Chocolate chip or if feeling fancy sablés with cocoa nibs.

Really any cookie is great though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Weed cookies

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love making spritz cookies with the cookie gun thing. I have tried to find a GF version, but so far have failed abjectly. I make them now it's friend's kitchens where I don't have to feel paranoid about random flour getting around... Little trees, Snowflakes, etc.

Gf ones look melty

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna go make the chocolate chip cookies I'd been meaning to make for weeks right now.

Thanks for the motivation!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/galgracen/status/1479568620501934080?s=21

Mama Mia

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

For those who just read via bookmarks, we've got a new ICSA starting!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: Ninja Creami

I had some extra Best Buy rewards to spend, so I took a flyer on the Ninja Creami which is essentially a consumer pacojet. I had very low expectations for it considering it’s 1/20th the price of a pacojet. Last night made ice cream (using frozen commercial eggnog) and sorbet using the recipe included. The sorbet was shockingly smooth, with no discernible grain. The ice cream wasn’t quite as smooth, but was drat near what I’d expect if I had churned it traditionally.

I honestly expected the sorbet to be more like a granita but came away quite impressed. The ice cream probably needed more sugar to get the right texture (and sweetness level for a frozen custard), but overall was quite enjoyable.

Cleanup is super easy as well. Based on my first run with it, I am very pleased.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got a creami for Xmas from my partner and her mother.

I've used a pacojet a lot in various kitchens I've worked in.
It's loud as poo poo but so is a pacojet.

This thing does a pretty good job replicating the pacojet results.

The recipe book is OK but they lean on the use cream cheese as a texture modifier a lot.

The biggest hit so far was popcorn ice cream my partner never heard of it before now she says it's her favorite

I've really only used th ice cream and sorbet programs so far.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat I kind of want one now

Also remind me not to accidentally call it the ninja iCream

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That is kind of a serendipitous timing for a thought I had while high as gently caress the other night

So like, I should preface this with a story I guess, but when I was living in Japan for a year, one time I was in the grocery store and found this bottle of Dole banana something that I'd call juice, but I don't know how to juice a banana. I have had banana milk, and it didn't taste the same. This just tasted like actual banana though, not like milk with artificial banana flavor. Anyway, the bottle had a tag on it saying to mix it with kahlua, and I did, and it was loving delicious.

I haven't found anything that replicates the banana "juice" or whatever, so the other night I was thinking what if I just made banana ice cream using the "just make ice cream out of ripe bananas, that's it" recipe, but add some kahlua or coffee from a moka pot to it? I would be just tickled if one of you could try making a frozen treat based around banana and kahlua and tell me if this thing could make something that tastes good and is smooth using actual bananas.

For science

mystes
May 31, 2006

You could just blend frozen bananas with a little Kahlua, that should work fine, at least if you have a decent blender. You should be able to get an ice cream-ish texture if you don't add too much liquid

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mystes posted:

You could just blend frozen bananas with a little Kahlua, that should work fine, at least if you have a decent blender. You should be able to get an ice cream-ish texture if you don't add too much liquid

poo poo

I DO have a decent blender, I have one of those 3HP Cleanblend things!

Oh I'm freezin' bananas tonight boiz

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
5 overripe bananas
3 cans coconut milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup coffee
4oz coffee liqueur

Best ice cream ever

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I used to make smoothies with my immersion blender and frozen bananas, so it’s definitely doable to get something at least of milkshake consistency out of it without an ice cream maker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I used to make smoothies with my immersion blender and frozen bananas, so it’s definitely doable to get something at least of milkshake consistency out of it without an ice cream maker.

I actually have an ice cream maker, I just am really disappointed with the core's ability to stay cold through the whole churn. Terrible end result in the texture, every time.

pile of brown posted:

5 overripe bananas
3 cans coconut milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup coffee
4oz coffee liqueur

Best ice cream ever

This looks rad and makes me want to burn some bits of sugar on a silicone mat to make toffee crumbles for it

mystes
May 31, 2006

signalnoise posted:

I actually have an ice cream maker, I just am really disappointed with the core's ability to stay cold through the whole churn. Terrible end result in the texture, every time.
Are you sure you have the mixture cold enough?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you really need to have your base at near freezing temperatures when you put it in the ice cream maker. Especially so with one of those freezer bowl types.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Should I pour it into the core and then stick it back in the freezer for a bit before I start churning or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, chill it separately otherwise you’re adding heat to the freezer bowl. And some would probably freeze hard. If it’s a custard base that starts hot, I would give it minimum of six hours in the back of the fridge (once it’s cool enough to go in the fridge, that is). The goal is to minimize the warming of the freezer bowl and also allow the crystals to form more quickly. This should result in a quicker churn as well as a much smoother end product.