Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

My wife wants to order sushi this weekend. Somebody tell me I'm being paranoid about Covid and it's not any riskier than ordering out something that's been cooked.

Fwiw I can recognize I've developed a few odd habits out of anxiety over the last year but I'm not always sure which are sensible or which are just coping mechanisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quiet Feet posted:

My wife wants to order sushi this weekend. Somebody tell me I'm being paranoid about Covid and it's not any riskier than ordering out something that's been cooked.

Fwiw I can recognize I've developed a few odd habits out of anxiety over the last year but I'm not always sure which are sensible or which are just coping mechanisms.

There have been no reported cases of anyone, anywhere catching covid from food, hot or cold.
It's fine.
Wipe over the packaging before you touch it if you want to but the sushi itself will be safe.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I dunno, seems fishy to me

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fomite transmission is definitely possible, and fomites can be present and have been found on food, food packaging, etc. Source (from October)

In the US we can't say for sure "ah yes, Gladys Thompson of Reading, Ohio caught it from a salad." That doesn't mean we're sure it didn't happen or can't happen, it means our tracing is an absolute clusterfuck and basically nonexistent. We just aren't keeping track and we don't know how almost any cases are transmitted.

I personally would get something that's hot / can be reheated, like tempura or soup or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fomite transmission depends on you touching an infected surface and then picking your nose or rubbing your eye which is certainly possible and has probably happened but we have no good way of tracking it

In Australia they had enough contact tracing that they were able to track one outbreak down to a boogery tissue that touched a trash can lid

Edit: sooooo it appears you have ACE2 receptors in your digestive tract, in your esophagus so it’s possible to get infected through eating but who knows how common that risk is

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 27, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Quiet Feet posted:

if you don't snort the sushi or inhale it into your lungs you should be ok. at least that's what my wife who does covid education tells me.

that said, she doesn't wash her hands regularly before eating so she may not be trustworthy.

the previous sentences are both true afaik

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have eaten a ton of sushi since the pandemic began, as have my children, because that’s what they request when I say “you can have anything you want for lunch”

As long as the place you’re buying it from is reputable, it’s not riskier than any prepared food handled by others

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Factually incorrect. The virus is destroyed when it's heated to 150° for 3 minutes. (source) Fridge and freezer temperatures actually preserve the virus for weeks. (source)

If you want to take the risk, of course you can make your own choices, but imo we should be accurate that not everything is equally safe.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

SubG posted:

I don't know a supplier for real wasabi as a bulk spice, but if you're real serious about it and live in a reasonably cool environment you can grow your own. Like most edible rhizomes, if you have the conditions it likes they're pretty easy plants to take care of.

I've always heard much the opposite, that real wasabi is extremely difficult and expensive to grow and that's why the green horseradish is so ubiquitous. I remember reading something about how the only domestic producer of wasabi in the us (in oregon) had an electric fence and a loving moat to ward off espionage.

Have you done it? What's your secret? I have a pleater box where I killed all my thai basil and can plant something else.

Anne Whateley posted:

Factually incorrect. The virus is destroyed when it's heated to 150° for 3 minutes. (source) Fridge and freezer temperatures actually preserve the virus for weeks. (source)

If you want to take the risk, of course you can make your own choices, but imo we should be accurate that not everything is equally safe.

the hands that touch both the cooked food and the sushi have likely not been heated to 150º for three minutes, and if covid is present they're likely the source.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 27, 2021

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anne Whateley posted:

It’s not the food itself that is the risk, it’s the people handling it without washing properly.

Edit: I guess if you’re not confident that prior stages of the process aren’t also contaminated, you’re right, but at some point you have to trust that other people are obeying the rules and not coughing on your tuna

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 27, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

My niece and nephew still get free food from their school even though they’re remote. They have too much food so my brother dumps some of it on me and I get a neat peek into US school food

Presumably because of peanut allergies this sandwich has soybean paste. It has the flavor of miso but not salty at all and maybe less sweet too. Way more savory though. Might be a nice product if they added a touch more sugar and salt.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

pile of brown posted:

the hands that touch both the cooked food and the sushi have likely not been heated to 150º for three minutes, and if covid is present they're likely the source.
That's why I suggested something that can be reheated. (Although hopefully when dinner gets to you it'll still be warm enough to be above the danger zone -- but I live in NYC, maybe not if you live somewhere with long delivery times.)

Scientastic posted:

It’s not the food itself that is the risk, it’s the people handling it without washing properly.

Edit: I guess if you’re not confident that prior stages of the process aren’t also contaminated, you’re right, but at some point you have to trust that other people are obeying the rules and not coughing on your tuna
Yeah exactly, I'm not suggesting the fish can have covid the way a cow can have mad cow or something. I mean that the food could certainly have been contaminated by the hands touching it or people coughing nearby or whatever, at any stage along the way. Heating the food will take care of that contamination, but eating cold food won't.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 27, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trust other people? LOL

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I definitely do not trust other people to obey the rules

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Steve Yun posted:

My niece and nephew still get free food from their school even though they’re remote. They have too much food so my brother dumps some of it on me and I get a neat peek into US school food

Presumably because of peanut allergies this sandwich has soybean paste. It has the flavor of miso but not salty at all and maybe less sweet too. Way more savory though. Might be a nice product if they added a touch more sugar and salt.

My daughter has a peanut allergy and so we got this for her at the recommendation of a friend. Unfortunately she doesn't like it but I'll say it holds up pretty well as a replacement. It does not necessarily make a very good replacement for peanut butter in other recipes however.

Enfys posted:

I definitely do not trust other people to obey the rules

Yeah I think this is where I'm still at unfortunately. :smith:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The bottom line is that covid might survive on food but it's much less likely to transmit from food to your respiratory tract. That's why takeout is considered safe. I know some people are vulnerable enough where they can't take a shadow of a chance at a tiny viral load, so they can be ultra cautious. But if you spend even 5 minutes a week in a store, even with a mask, I'd imagine your viral load would be orders of magnitude higher than what might make the jump from food to lungs, especially if you wash your hands after eating and before picking your nose.

https://health.ucdavis.edu/good-food/blog/eating-takeout-amid-covid-19.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My son wanted sushi so we made some. :smug: We borrowed a sushi mat from a neighbour, I bought some nori, a cucumber and an avo, and my wife makes really good Japanese egg rolls. I made some sushi seasoning. We are 99% vegetarian at home so that is easier. We all made it together, which was actually a really enjoyable and satisfying activity, and the sushi was pretty drat good. Not restaurant quality of course, but more than good enough. I’ve now bought a sushi mat and seasoning because we will definitely do it again.

It’s a great thing to do with kids (and adults). I recommend it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

My son wanted sushi so we made some. :smug: We borrowed a sushi mat from a neighbour, I bought some nori, a cucumber and an avo, and my wife makes really good Japanese egg rolls. I made some sushi seasoning. We are 99% vegetarian at home so that is easier. We all made it together, which was actually a really enjoyable and satisfying activity, and the sushi was pretty drat good. Not restaurant quality of course, but more than good enough. I’ve now bought a sushi mat and seasoning because we will definitely do it again.

It’s a great thing to do with kids (and adults). I recommend it.

Is there a beginners guide anyone would recommend, because my kids love sushi, and making it together would be great

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Is there a beginners guide anyone would recommend, because my kids love sushi, and making it together would be great

Honestly, it’s extremely simple. The nori pack had some instructions for rolling. The sushi seasoning recipe had a guide for how much was needed for a given quantity of rice. We peeled and cut up avo and cucumber and my wife made egg roll (probably the trickiest element and we have a special rectangular pan for it). My 9-yr old son did the rolling with some help. He and I spread and patted down the rice. I am sure there are YouTube guides but it’s very straightforward. I’m sure with practise and/or and adult rolling it could have been better but it was absolutely good enough.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a lot of fun. I haven't done it in ages but making sushi was one of my favorite cheap staying-in date activities in college. Obviously as mentioned probably way easier if you stick to vegetarian rolls, which is tbh all I have experience with.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

How Wonderful! posted:

It's a lot of fun. I haven't done it in ages but making sushi was one of my favorite cheap staying-in date activities in college. Obviously as mentioned probably way easier if you stick to vegetarian rolls, which is tbh all I have experience with.

That’s a terrific idea. I’m a bit beyond that now... But yeah, it’s easy to do edible decent sushi. I’m sure it’s a lot harder to do it really well but it’s not necessary in this situation. And yes, vegetarian really simplifies it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I've been really getting into caramelized apples, ala this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9q9eead4uw these past few weeks.

Before I try it wanted to ask, would cooking apples this way work for a pie? Like, do this stove-top method w/ the booze burn-off, then pour it in the pie tin and bake a low temp for an hour or so. Versus mixing everything together and letting it cook with the rest of the pie.

My assumption is that would result in melted apples more or less, but this flavor seems spot on for a great pie.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would just do a tarte tatin instead

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

therattle posted:

my wife made egg roll (probably the trickiest element and we have a special rectangular pan for it).

This was really throwing me for a loop, I always think of egg rolls as those fried things from chinese restaurants. The japanese name for it is tamagoyaki iyi.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

This was really throwing me for a loop, I always think of egg rolls as those fried things from chinese restaurants. The japanese name for it is tamagoyaki iyi.

Oh yeah! Sorry, i see how that is confusing. We just call them egg rolls but you’re right.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Egg rolls are Spring Rolls right? Why are they called Egg rolls in the US?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Helith posted:

:iiam:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Helith posted:

Eggs rolls have a thicker shell than Spring rolls. Egg is usually wheat based and Spring is usually Rice. I think? Egg rolls are coated in egg too?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's just rice paper wrapper vs egg-based wonton wrapper. Egg rolls have meat more often, but both can.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pile of brown posted:

I've always heard much the opposite, that real wasabi is extremely difficult and expensive to grow and that's why the green horseradish is so ubiquitous. I remember reading something about how the only domestic producer of wasabi in the us (in oregon) had an electric fence and a loving moat to ward off espionage.
The thing it's most picky about is temperature--too hot or too cold and it'll give up on you. It's also somewhat picky about watering--it likes frequent watering, but needs well-drained soil. It can be the case that wherever you live is just too hot, too cold, or too inconsistent for it, in which case I dunno. But for a lot of people all of the problems can be solved by just growing it in a container: if your nights are too cold in spring, just bring it in. Too hot in the afternoon during summer? Bring it in. The plant wants full shade so it won't miss a couple hours of sun.

But while this is perfectly workable and isn't even particularly arduous as far as home gardening gymnastics goes, it isn't really workable at commercial scales. And it probably isn't optimal for producing the largest possible yields, and so on. Which also isn't really a problem if you're not trying to juggle factors to min/max your cost/value curve or whatever. There are a lot of heirloom cultivars that are commonly grown in home gardens but are seldom if ever found on commercial farms just because of peculiarities of their lifecycle or growth habit--low germination rates, slow maturity, narrow growing season, reliance on hand pruning, difficulties in harvesting, poor keeping characteristics of the resulting crop, or whatever. This kind of poo poo can kill profitability of a commercial crop, but if you're not worried about your garden supplying all your food or making you money it's no problem.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Helith posted:

As mentioned, wrong, they're not the same. Egg rolls are rare-ish here (UK) but they do pop up sometimes, try one and you'll see the difference.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ah right, so egg rolls are an American version inspired by spring rolls like Chiko Rolls in Australia are an Aussie inspired version.
I don't think you can get egg rolls in Aus.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s a regional dialect.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The wrapper is the big difference, to me. Egg roll wrappers are rougher and chewier, while spring rolls are smoother and crispier. Egg rolls are often larger than spring rolls as well.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scientastic posted:

I would just do a tarte tatin instead

Sure, but would it work fine for a pie? Anyone know if it wouldn't/tried it before/heard otherwise?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A chinese take-away I used to go to, had 'pancake rolls', which were unlike the standard spring rolls most other places have. The usual spring roll here is/was about 4 inches long, 1 across, and cylindrical. This place's ones were about 6 inches long, at least 2 across, more of a flattened cylinder and the outside was both chewy and crispy; they were so so good.
It looks like they were basically what are called egg rolls in the US. I wish they were commoner over here :(

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The World Inferno posted:

Sure, but would it work fine for a pie? Anyone know if it wouldn't/tried it before/heard otherwise?

I think you’ll end up with apple goo with very little texture...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The World Inferno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9q9eead4uw

I've been really getting into caramelized apples, ala this method these past few weeks.

Before I try it wanted to ask, would cooking apples this way work for a pie? Like, do this stove-top method w/ the booze burn-off, then pour it in the pie tin and bake a low temp for an hour or so. Versus mixing everything together and letting it cook with the rest of the pie.

My assumption is that would result in melted apples more or less, but this flavor seems spot on for a great pie.

blind bake the top and bottom of your pie crusts, load the apples in, put the top on and heat until bubbly.

incidentally, if i get to choose how i die it's going to be by eating like the worlds supply of these, i expect

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I realized last night that I can't make fun of people for believing in pro wrestling anymore when I knowingly have made the choice to believe in the Japanese Iron Chef mythos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A local Hmong grocery posted that they got these fruits in, and apparently it's very popular with Hmong/Lao people.

Apparently it's txiv kub nyuj, or cow/bull horn fruit. They're kind of fascinating. The texture reminds me of unripe mango, or maybe a very crisp apple or celery without the strings. The flavor is reminiscent of granny smith apple and rhubarb, with a very dry, astringent finish.