Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Smart man. I love peanuts, I cook with four different kinds of peanuts in my shop. Delicious, and yet the cheapest nut by far.

Most expensive nut are the Colossal Roasted Salted Cashews.
I think cashews are over-rated, I'd rather have pecans.

White people from Michigan?

Despite the existence of national chains, chocolate, fudge, and ice cream have extremely regional tastes. Walnuts are very popular here in New England, we like Maple Walnut Ice Cream, we like nuts in fudge, and they are very popular as an ice cream topping both dry and wet. "Dry Nuts" just means plain walnut pieces, "Wet Nuts" is walnut pieces in a sugar syrup; you don't even have to say "walnut" here. They are just ice cream nuts.

Which isn't to say that everyone likes them, some folks have strong opinions on fudge with/without walnuts.

Anyway, my franchise is based out of Michigan, so I sell Mackinac Island style-fudge, and mid-western style ice cream, which means Blue Moon and Superman (I always know where someone is from if they get excited to see those two). But apparently, people from the mid west absolutely HATE walnuts and ice cream?

They trimmed back the ice cream flavors during the pandemic, and the first flavor to get the axe? Maple Walnut.

And then they started dinging me on my reviews for "Selling unapproved ice cream toppings".
This was true, it wasn't an approved ice cream topping, I just got sick of my customers asking for dry nuts so I repurposed a fudge ingredient. Clearly, I'm a monster.

When I pushed back, and told them how consistent my customer demand was, they didn't believe me. The official response was literally "Who likes walnuts on ice cream?"

This is absolutely fascinating. (Not being sarcastic). We were in the Dordogne in the summer and it's a very strong walnut area. Walnut oil, walnut liqueur, walnuts in honey (amazing with local goats' cheese), walnut cake... That's good eatin'!

It would be hard to rank nuts as I love all of them but macadamias are up there. Pecans ditto. I had some macadamia dust from some bulk-food shop macadamias (my son did the scooping and scooped up a lot of macadamia powder), and some raw cashews about to turn, so I toasted the cashews, sifted the fragments from some salted cashews remnants to get the salt out, and processed those with the macadamia powder to make an incredible nut butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How did you know my nickname

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

BrianBoitano posted:

Is "gusher / bottle bomb" a fermentation rite of passage on par with "your mandolin requires at least one blood sacrifice"?

Yup. Lessons you only learn once (both times) (okay I'm on like #4).

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hazelnut is one of my favorites. I am actually going to be ripping out some useless shrubs and replacing them with hazelnuts.

I love fudge, but every local place that has it is 'may contain wheat' territory so I don't get any bougie candy squares. I know cross contamination is a thing, but just one production area without it would be amazing. My homemade fudge was a pretty sticky affair, likely won't do that again soon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I put in a bunch of American hazelnuts (so kind of a pain in the rear end for nuts since they’re small), hoping I’ll eventually get some out of the paws of the squirrels.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nut ranking:

1. Walnuts (by a lot, I loooooove walnuts)
2. Peanuts
3. Pistachios
4. Pecans
5. Cashews
6. Almonds
7. Hazelnuts
8. Brazil nuts
9. Macadamia nuts
6472. Chestnuts

Seriously, maybe I've just never had a good one but all the chestnuts I've had have been wet and soft which is exactly what I'm NOT looking for in a nut. Boiled peanuts excluded because those own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get how someone could like walnuts that much and put pecans that low on the list. It's like an even more decadent walnut.

Walnuts and pecans are the best nuts by far though. pecan #1.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I looooove pecans. Give me a pecan braid? I'll give you head. I'm not loving around. I'll suck your dick.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
1. Pecans
2. Walnuts
3. Cashews
4. Pistachios/Pine Nuts are tied
5. Hazelnuts
6. Macadamias
7. Almonds
8. Brazil nuts

Peanuts are probably the best bean though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What flavor is Blue Moon? Wikipedia isn't helping.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've never had it but recipes for it seem to have a combination of raspberry, lemon, and vanilla flavoring

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

At least at the places I worked(MN,CO,NM) blue Curacao and coconut.
Edit: Shameful lack of Black Walnut and Piñon nuts in these lists.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Doom Rooster posted:

1. Pecans
2. Walnuts
3. Cashews
4. Pistachios/Pine Nuts are tied
5. Hazelnuts
6. Macadamias
7. Almonds
8. Brazil nuts

Peanuts are probably the best bean though.

What a ridiculous list, none of those are nuts.

1. Pecans - Seed
2. Walnuts - Seed
3. Cashews - Legume
4. Pistachios/Pine Nuts are tied -Husk/Seed
5. Hazelnuts - Courgette
6. Macadamias - Sandwich
7. Almonds - Byproduct of an irritant getting into a macaque’s eye
8. Brazil nuts - Capybara excrement

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
1 deez nuts

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Nut ranking:

1. Walnuts (by a lot, I loooooove walnuts)
2. Peanuts
3. Pistachios
4. Pecans
5. Cashews
6. Almonds
7. Hazelnuts
8. Brazil nuts
9. Macadamia nuts
6472. Chestnuts

Seriously, maybe I've just never had a good one but all the chestnuts I've had have been wet and soft which is exactly what I'm NOT looking for in a nut. Boiled peanuts excluded because those own.

Roast chestnuts are absolutely delicious.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SubG posted:

1 deez nuts

:emptyquote:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My first encounter with wild American hazelnuts (beaked hazelnut to be precise) was camping and watching this utterly fearless chipmunk harvest them, and perch on our rock fire pit shucking and eating them. While the fire was lit. They must taste pretty good.

New international store has a chestnut butter spread (Polish?) that I am tempted to try, but it is like 10 bucks for the jar.

People doing anything fancy for Zombie Jesus day? I'm smoking a Costco leg of lamb, English cucumber salad, friend is doing 'something potato' to share, and I may do Brazilian pão de Queijo buns.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Leg of lamb, butter mochi, green beans almondine. What's in your cucumber salad besides cucumber?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

1. Peanuts (sorry, they are just so drat versatile! I love everything from spicy peanut stew to PB sauce on ice cream, to my homemade cracker jack)

2. Pecans

3. Almonds (might be showing by Italian side here, but best nut for baking)

4. Pistachios

5. Macadamias

6. Walnuts

7. Chestnuts

8. Cashews

FF. Hazelnuts (I really dislike Hazelnuts, Nutella kind of grosses me out)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

1. Peanuts (sorry, they are just so drat versatile! I love everything from spicy peanut stew to PB sauce on ice cream, to my homemade cracker jack)

2. Pecans

3. Almonds (might be showing by Italian side here, but best nut for baking)

4. Pistachios

5. Macadamias

6. Walnuts

7. Chestnuts

8. Cashews

FF. Hazelnuts (I really dislike Hazelnuts, Nutella kind of grosses me out)

My son is coeliac so a lot of our baking is with almond flour. I have a lemon cake recipe and a chocolate recipe with almond flour that are so drat good that if he was cured tomorrow I’d still make them.

We go through huge amounts of PB here. My wife in particular is addicted but we’ve also started cooking it with it quite a lot in SE Asian dishes.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Leraika posted:

Leg of lamb, butter mochi, green beans almondine. What's in your cucumber salad besides cucumber?

English cuke with a cranberry vinegar/olive oil vinaigrette, shallots, green onion, pepper. Simple and fresh. Chives if I can remember to snip some!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Here’s a bag of nuts we brought back from France in August. Cracking them open now.

https://imgur.com/gallery/bxS2QBX

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yummy! Are they rancid, too?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

Yummy! Are they rancid, too?

Alas no. (Really good, actually)

We bought them to put into honey (which we bought too) but haven’t gotten around to it. I saw a recipe for a walnut mushroom shepherds pie and against my better judgement decided to try it. Not disgusting but I didn’t enjoy it. And my tongue still feels funny. I should have stuck to lentils.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Orange and coriander.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

therattle posted:

Alas no. (Really good, actually)

We bought them to put into honey (which we bought too) but haven’t gotten around to it. I saw a recipe for a walnut mushroom shepherds pie and against my better judgement decided to try it. Not disgusting but I didn’t enjoy it. And my tongue still feels funny. I should have stuck to lentils.

I can't imagine walnut being a good texture for shepherds pie

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I can't imagine walnut being a good texture for shepherds pie

Bingo. Even blitzed to small pieces and cooked it retained too much bite, and the wrong sort of bite at that. I was disappointed in myself for cooking a poor meal - not for the execution (which I think was fine) but the recipe selection.

My cooking skills were approximately this level

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C30P8ZapPKj/?igsh=YW9vZjlmbGdrbXBs

therattle fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 30, 2024

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Not a nut but I like sunflower seeds for snacking.

The Soviet kind is the best, they’re black, more oily, and have a super thin shell. Much better experience than those gigantic striped sunflower seeds that are somehow no bigger than the small black kind inside.

Unfortunately it’s hard to get the good sunflower seeds.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I made a "gently caress I gotta do something with these apples" pie and I threw some walnuts in to get rid of them and while it tasted great it looked just like ground beef.

I like how soft walnuts are especially in with fruit. The same texture with mushrooms in shepherds pie sounds.... Unpleasant.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

walnuts : i have had probably less pleasant nuts since highschool, but none that i recall.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's sort of fascinating how divisive nuts are.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Walnuts are great chopped up in carrot cake. With raisins.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nettle Soup posted:

Walnuts are great chopped up in carrot cake. With raisins.

Ugh. I don’t like raisins in cake. It’s a texture thing. Walnuts work there but pecans are better.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

You’ll note that most of them have two hemispheres. :biotruths:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
my grandparents had a loving enormous pecan tree and even after the bastard squirrels took their share grandpa and me would spend hours crackin open nuts to toss them into a half-dozen ziplock freezer bag for later that year

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Mine usually hang together to one side.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. DnF always bitched when I'd put walnuts in baked goods, and I'd always tell him to shut up and get over it and if he didn't like walnuts he could bake his goddamn self. And then one day he was whining that he doesn't like the way they make his mouth tingle. And I was like... you loving dumbass, are you allergic? And when I told this story to his family it turns out half of them are allergic to walnuts, and they all agreed he's a dumbass.

Anyway pecans are not a great substitute in my opinon.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

you loving dumbass, are you allergic?

Whenever parents ask me about nut allergies, my response is "Every surface in my shop is contaminated with peanuts AND tree nuts."

Once, this little kid came in with his grandfather, and the kid's face starts swelling up immediately, just from breathing the air. I had to say something to the grandfather before he realized the gravity of the situation and left.

Drink and Fight posted:

Anyway pecans are not a great substitute in my opinon.

No, they are not substitutes! As much as I like pecans, they serve totally different purposes in baking and candy making.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The world really does go into movie slow mo when you’re staring at a falling kitchen knife and half of your brain is wanting to reflex catch it and the other half is trying to run away. Luckily the run away half won out. I’ve already paid my blood debt to this particular knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

The world really does go into movie slow mo when you’re staring at a falling kitchen knife and half of your brain is wanting to reflex catch it and the other half is trying to run away. Luckily the run away half won out. I’ve already paid my blood debt to this particular knife.

Yeah, I get my feet out the way as quickly as I can.