Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Recipe please!

You’re joking about the harvesting part, right? Because you can harvest marshmallows? (Well, the plants)

I use this recipe. But where it says “boil rapidly for one minute” I just cook to 235f (soft ball). Don’t use a light hand with the vanilla. And don’t skip the salt.

https://www.marthastewart.com/341856/vanilla-marshmallows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh hey I am v proud to be part inspiration for the thread title change

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I use this recipe. But where it says “boil rapidly for one minute” I just cook to 235f (soft ball). Don’t use a light hand with the vanilla. And don’t skip the salt.

Thanks! It’s wouldn’t work as we are basically vegetarian at home (and don’t dig on swine).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

Thanks! It’s wouldn’t work as we are basically vegetarian at home (and don’t dig on swine).

I think there are agar agar marshmallow recipes out there

Edit: quick google shows me lots of recipes that use agar agar and aquafaba

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
they aren’t as good but they’ll serve especially if you eat them fresh.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You can get fish gelatin too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088FHNHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_WWMJ7GZHA8QGFQCA8GXZ
It's functionally the same as beef or pork gelatin but is considered to be kosher.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

You can get fish gelatin too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088FHNHW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_WWMJ7GZHA8QGFQCA8GXZ
It's functionally the same as beef or pork gelatin but is considered to be kosher.

Much obliged, all. My wife won’t eat the fishy stuff but I’ll look into agar agar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Much obliged, all. My wife won’t eat the fishy stuff but I’ll look into agar agar

actually come to think of i suggest looking for carrageenan if that's not an issue for you. it's superior to agar in a lot of ways that are relevant for this application, specifically the iota variant. it creates gels that have a lot more give vs something like agar, which creates very brittle gels.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I will be attempting sushi* for the first time in over a decade tomorrow. Any advice or any suggestions on a sushi rice recipe?

Going to go with easy, non-raw stuff like cucumber rolls, crab stick and spicy salmon maki.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

actually come to think of i suggest looking for carrageenan if that's not an issue for you. it's superior to agar in a lot of ways that are relevant for this application, specifically the iota variant. it creates gels that have a lot more give vs something like agar, which creates very brittle gels.

Cool, thanks.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

if you don't mind fruitier marshmallows, you can also try zefir. that's usually made with agar agar, iirc.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Has anyone got any good experiences or lookouts in brewing ginger beer at home? I would ask the home brew thread but it’s a decade old and almost a thousand pages long and while I’m sure it’s been answered by now; lol, gently caress that.

I have fermentation lids with air locks on them so I should just be able to combine water, ginger, sugar, and flavoring spices and let it do it’s thing until about 5% abv with ambient yeast, no? Anyone have experience arresting fermentation below 1%?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bloody ghost titty posted:

Has anyone got any good experiences or lookouts in brewing ginger beer at home? I would ask the home brew thread but it’s a decade old and almost a thousand pages long and while I’m sure it’s been answered by now; lol, gently caress that.

I have fermentation lids with air locks on them so I should just be able to combine water, ginger, sugar, and flavoring spices and let it do it’s thing until about 5% abv with ambient yeast, no? Anyone have experience arresting fermentation below 1%?

It would appear that Forums Search actually works now;

Scientastic posted:

I’ve just found the recipe I used when I last made ginger beer, and it was pretty good...

About 200g of ginger root
170g sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
¼ tsp dry active yeast
2L boiling water

Very finely chop the ginger, and combine with the sugar, water and lemon juice in a large jar

Allow to cool for about two hours, then add your yeast

Put in a warmish place for 48h

Transfer to a bottle and refrigerate for 48h

I just used regular bakers yeast that I had in a drawer, and it worked fine

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

It would appear that Forums Search actually works now;

I did a variation of this last year as suggested by I think mediaphage and it was absolutely delicious. Very low to no alcohol I think though. I ended up making it a few times it was so good

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello GWS chat.

I did the thing. Ya girl got her legal name changed. It's pretty great. Next task is to update drivers license & birth certificate with the right name and gender marker. :3:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I made sushi. It looks like a disaster but I made it dammit!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hello GWS chat.

I did the thing. Ya girl got her legal name changed. It's pretty great. Next task is to update drivers license & birth certificate with the right name and gender marker. :3:

Congrats!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hello GWS chat.

Congratulations!

Quiet Feet posted:

I made sushi. It looks like a disaster but I made it dammit!

Congrats!

We made sushi today too! It looked ok-ish once cut: a bit amateurish, but as I said to my wife, we are amateurs. It was enjoyable to make and delicious to eat, so the appearance wasn’t a problem.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I did a variation of this last year as suggested by I think mediaphage and it was absolutely delicious. Very low to no alcohol I think though. I ended up making it a few times it was so good

yup! 200g is a lot of ginger but i like it spicy too. if you like it really sweet start at 3/4 cup of white sugar and proceed downward from there. otherwise it’s about the same as what i do.

aside from the high deliciousness:difficulty ratio, what’s nice about it is just how customizable it is. want to add other spices? go big wild. want to use a blend of sugars? awesome idea. cut up other fruit to steep with it? absolutely (pineapple is great).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

therattle posted:

Congratulations!

We made sushi today too! It looked ok-ish once cut: a bit amateurish, but as I said to my wife, we are amateurs. It was enjoyable to make and delicious to eat, so the appearance wasn’t a problem.

Yeah! :hfive:

I consider it a success because I finished preparing it around 3:00 and when I next opened up the fridge it smelled like a sushi joint in there.

All we had for nori were little snack size strips so my maki looked really awkward. Definitely need to try actual sheets next time but it was nice to have since we hadn't done take-out sushi in the last year.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've done a lot of marshmallows and it's true, people stare like you're a wizard when you break out the custom-flavored mallows. I use Stella Parks's (author of Bravetart) recipe since it fits my mixer bowl perfectly. A few other tips I picked up from a professional candy book and trial/error:

Instead of blooming the gelatin in the mixing bowl, do it in the top of a double boiler (or a bowl that fits over a saucepan, which is what I do). Once it's gone totally solid/bloomed, warm it so it melts. Adding the gelatin as a liquid ensures you don't get any hard chunky bits of partially-bloomed gelatin in your marshmallows.

Also, instead of letting the sugar stand for ten minutes, just keep a thermometer in it and make the mallows once it hits 212. Any hotter and it may damage the gelatin, causing less than ideal floof. Any colder and you'll have less time to whip air into it before it cools, which may also lead to less than ideal floof. I don't like to cool the sugar in my mixing bowl, because a thin layer of sugar sets up around the inside of the bowl and never incorporates, but that's probably not a big deal and you should feel free to cool in the bowl if you want. I just dump in sugar, dump in liquified gelatin, and immediately start the mixer.

Stuff like citrus oil, peppermint oil, etc. make really good flavorings for marshmallow, but don't add anything oil based until the mixing is nearly done. It'll suppress foaming and, yeah, less than ideal floof again. In my experience other extracts can go in pretty much whenever, but I usually add everything at the end anyhow.

Booze based marshmallows are loving amazing. I've made mezcal marshmallows a couple of times, once with smoked salt on top. Don't bloom the gelatin in the booze; that much alcohol will lead to a weird, rubbery, underinflated marshmallow. Instead swap out the water in the sugar solution. It'll come up to temp slightly faster than normal, but the sugar will behave properly and you'll be left with tons of boozy flavor without endangering the texture.

Oh, and for coating the finished marshmallows, try to use a powdered sugar with tapioca starch, not cornstarch. It's a necessary anti-caking addition added by the manufacturer, but cornstarch's particle size is large enough it can feel a little grainy on the tongue. Tapioca starch is smooth as heck. You can also cheat in about 50/50 powdered sugar to a flavored powder - I've done cocoa powder, peanut butter powder, and powdered dried mushroom; all of them worked fine. Much over 50/50 and you can start to get sticky spots.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I did the thing.

Yay! Congrats!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

All right y'all talking about homemade sushi have convinced me I need to try it. My supermarket actually has decent sushi (no for real lol) but it costs just about the same as it does to get it from a restaurant, so why am I eating hour-old refrigerated sushi when I could just throw this poo poo together myself

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hawkperson posted:

All right y'all talking about homemade sushi have convinced me I need to try it. My supermarket actually has decent sushi (no for real lol) but it costs just about the same as it does to get it from a restaurant, so why am I eating hour-old refrigerated sushi when I could just throw this poo poo together myself

Sushi is both hard and simple at the same time, if that makes sense.
Once you learn how to make the rice correctly and season it correctly and then get practice at forming the shapes it does become simple to do.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Helith posted:

Once you learn how to make the rice correctly and season it correctly and then get practice at forming the shapes it does become simple to do.

Let me tell you, I'm excited to eat my mistakes

edit: that reminds me of the last time I made rice. I make it in the Instant Pot largely because I have a tiny kitchen and having that AND a rice cooker is too much counter/storage space. Anyway I did everything right except make sure that the steam vent was in the correct position, and then went off to go teach. When I came back an hour later the poor thing had shut off long ago because it had vented all of the water and thrown a burn error, but it turned out that just made some delightfully chewy rice with awesome crispy bottom rice. Worked super well with the extremely smooth masoor dal I had made.

I figure if I make rice that's too vinegary, it can become fried rice, and if it's too sweet it's definitely becoming rice pudding.

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 8, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Helith posted:

I haven't nailed how to keep the rice from falling apart when I dip it; am I just not waiting long enough for it to cool? I use Botan calrose.
I'm also not sure if I'm using too much rice when I try to shape it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

o tight i see ur on the high meat train

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

o tight i see ur on the high meat train

which meme, by the way, is nearly ten years old now

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I still haven't mustered the courage to watch it, and I've been subbed to that channel for a while now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Mister Facetious posted:

I haven't nailed how to keep the rice from falling apart when I dip it; am I just not waiting long enough for it to cool? I use Botan calrose.
I'm also not sure if I'm using too much rice when I try to shape it.

If it's nigiri dip the fish/topping side rather than the rice.

Even the best made sushi falls apart if it gets too much dip soaked in it, so I wouldn't worry too much tbh.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hello GWS chat.

For you <3

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm about to make biscuits for the first time ever.
Using this recipe, plus a teaspoon each of Old Bay and garlic powder:

https://sugarspunrun.com/easy-homemade-biscuits/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Biscuits are great. You may want to cut them in squares so you don't have to deal with rerolling scraps and getting one sad biscuit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My goon friend in Maryland says i did good:

Sadly no gravy, that's for next time. It was my first time doing unleavened baking.

Yeah, I'm happy with these. Crunchy on the outside, soft but not gummy on the inside, and the layers separate naturally.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 8, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mister Facetious posted:

Sadly no gravy, that's for next time. It was my first time doing unleavened baking.

Yeah, I'm happy with these. Crunchy on the outside, soft but not gummy on the inside, and the layers separate naturally.

Oh wow those look great.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh no that's adorable. Thank you everyone. :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, terrific rise! They look excellent!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Err, it was my first time using a chemical leavener; I just noticed my mistake. I've only ever worked with yeast breads before.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd eat those biscuits.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I went to a new 'megamart' style asian grocery store yesterday that opened up recently. Tons of great new stuff, including tons of seafood. Going to be trying new things! That said, in the meat section, there were a bunch of skinned duck heads on trays. What do you use those for? I can't imagine duckface has much meat. Stock? Gelatin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd eat those biscuits.

:hai: