Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
are there any root vegetable fans here, I had a real good parsnip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

drk posted:

:hai:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Parsnips are my favorite veg, how was it prepared, tell me more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

drk posted:

How did you cook it?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Can't beat a good parsnip

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

You can but you've got to roast it real soft first.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you folks ever put parsnips and potatoes in the same stew/braise/whatever and then you get absolutely thrilled and chilled by the mystery from one pale cube to the next?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Do you folks ever put parsnips and potatoes in the same stew/braise/whatever and then you get absolutely thrilled and chilled by the mystery from one pale cube to the next?

Never. I can’t take the excitement.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

VelociBacon posted:

i like doing this and also adding in pale carrots

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sometimes, if I’m feeling particularly mischievous, I’ll put turnip in too.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Helith posted:

Sometimes, if I’m feeling particularly mischievous, I’ll put turnip in too.

Living on the wild side

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VelociBacon posted:

Parsnips, turnips, and potatoes, all cut to about the same size. :v:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Parsnip and carrot mash is legit

You know what's also good? A swede (rutabaga for colonials), especially in a Cornish pasty

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

My Mema used to do this on purpose in her take on a brunswick stew and called it an Adventure Pot. Sometimes she'd put a few random peeled radishes in to see who was paying attention. It always tasted like you were eating stewed compost.

My god I miss that woman.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I had some kind of super whipped parsnip mash awhile ago that must have been half heavy cream by weight given how mousse like it was.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Not to distract from root veg chat, but there's no reason I couldn't use lime juice instead of lemon juice in a ginger beer recipe right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Not to distract from root veg chat, but there's no reason I couldn't use lime juice instead of lemon juice in a ginger beer recipe right?

correct and in fact it is good

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sure, just start with 25% less, then taste and add more lime or sugar as desired. Lime juice starts with a bit less sugar on its own but most recipes have so much added sugar it'll be negligible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Sure, just start with 25% less, then taste and add more lime or sugar as desired. Lime juice starts with a bit less sugar on its own but most recipes have so much added sugar it'll be negligible.

Lemon has less citric acid and more sugar than lime? Why is it more sour?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

it’s going to vary by variety and growth season too. for example i did a perfunctory google and got an endourology (i mean. lol clearly they were journal shopping this because it’s barely science) paper with this quote:

“Lemon juice and lime juice are rich sources of citric acid, containing 1.44 and 1.38 g/oz, respectively. Lemon and lime juice concentrates contain 1.10 and 1.06 g/oz, respectively.”

anyway i wouldn’t bother changing how much juice you add

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

God I love this forum. I googled it a few times and just got moscow mule recipes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Citrus fruits also contain ascorbic acid too (vitamin C), which lemons are higher in. I don't know how they came to the conclusion lemons have less citric acid though unless they're cherry picking specific types or something.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
To crossover both chats, last night we made Greek lemon roasted chicken, but instead of potatoes we used rutabagas and carrots. It was good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There's also malic acid (tart apple sensation), higher in limes than lemons. Not sure what the natural variation among individual plants / fruits are for each of those, along with sugar content.

Ascorbic acid is there, yeah, but it's not as tart a sensation so I think it's a minor effect.

Also, if you fresh squeeze may get oils from accidentally expressing the zest that'd add another x-factor, hence the gently caress around and find out approach

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

imo none of the variations aside from flavour will matter in a sugary soda in part because the amount of citric acid so vastly outweighs the effect of everything else. here’s one survey example

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I have tried both and found the lime flavour too intrusive, but it definitely still works. It's a matter of taste. (mediaphage is wrong).

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Well the lime juice is already in the bottle so its up to fate and yeast now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I have tried both and found the lime flavour too intrusive, but it definitely still works. It's a matter of taste. (mediaphage is wrong).

:rolleyes:

lime is the superior flavour anyway

green skin supremacy

know your mind: no yellow rind

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

At the request of my wife, I made soufflés last night. They were delicious, but now I can’t stop thinking about how a handful of extra ingredients and tweaking some steps turns a cheese soufflé into a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy with cheesy scrambled eggs on the side.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Do that and call it deconstructed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Democratic Pirate posted:

At the request of my wife, I made soufflés last night. They were delicious, but now I can’t stop thinking about how a handful of extra ingredients and tweaking some steps turns a cheese soufflé into a plate of biscuits and sausage gravy with cheesy scrambled eggs on the side.

runny cheese souffle with biscuits on the side and sausages is really good too.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

(tart apple sensation)

New band name found

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Liquid Communism posted:

I still have unhappy memories of the time I bit something in a stew expecting potato and actually it was apple.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gegi posted:

I still have unhappy memories of the time I bit something in a stew expecting potato and actually it was apple.

I added some orange to the veg I had underneath a sirloin roast awhile ago and it was the worst idea for this reason. I was thinking that the acid would bring up some of the sweetness of the other flavours but it ended up just being a surprise that wasn't wholly desired.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

gegi posted:

I don’t normally love those baby potatoes but this is an excellent use case for them. I use them when I make viking chicken so that I don’t have to guess what’s apple and what’s tater

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SpookyBirb1/status/1377939925266485248

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

« Goons With Spoons › GWS General Chat - that's your body undergoing meatosis

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Undergoing meatosis my blood and urine are full of meat.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

meatosis is such a scientific-sounding word I'm shocked, shocked that it wasn't working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love how the unmentioned chaser in that picture is a glass of raw eggs.