Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Cheese Thief posted:

I've heard of Door Dash, I put it on my phone and will give it a try next time.

My truck is in the shop. Would it be weird to get an uber to the grocery store, and upon my return home put a lot of grocery bags in the back of the car? How do people without vehicles get groceries

Enough shitposting tell me about how the Grandmother works as a stand-alone, I hear it’s great as a filter bank/spring reverb module

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone gave me something called dragon egg cheese last year and it was stinky and amazing. Apparently it's unpredictable - can turn out many different ways.

I have some stilton in my fridge now. I love blue cheese with a touch of jam - rowanberry is the all time jam champion but pretty much any jam is good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

Someone gave me something called dragon egg cheese last year and it was stinky and amazing. Apparently it's unpredictable - can turn out many different ways.

I have some stilton in my fridge now. I love blue cheese with a touch of jam - rowanberry is the all time jam champion but pretty much any jam is good.

I love blue with something like an onion chutney.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I like to eat Stilton with pickled walnuts

And port, of course

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Scientastic posted:

And port, of course

That's the trick to good cheese eatin'

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

bloody ghost titty posted:

Enough shitposting tell me about how the Grandmother works as a stand-alone, I hear it’s great as a filter bank/spring reverb module

You can ask me in the synth thread. :topic:
Just made a lot of pork chops, the boringest of foods. But appetizing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

And port, of course

I love port. I have some very nice port which I have been wanting to drink for years but haven't had an opportunity - I don't believe it'll keep once opened. I recently bought one of those new-fangled air-excluding decanters which preserves wine, and opened a bottle of Madeira recently that I had also been keeping for ages (same reason). I'd never had Madeira before; it's delicious. And it seems to have kept very well in the decanter. I reckon if it worked for the Madeira it'll work for port, so port ho!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I’m northern Virginia I apparently can’t buy a prime rib. Instead it’s called a beef rib roast?

Anyways, what’s a tried and true recipe out there for this? I have a sous vide, but I think this is more of a reverse sear option, if anything.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Prime rib is the dish you can make with a rib roast.

Sous vide is fine if it's like 2 bones or smaller, but reverse sear is just fine.

Edit: here's the reverse seared one I did last week

It was Kenji's guidelines. Salt and on the rack the night before, roasted as low as my oven could get until it hit 130, rested for a half hour and then in the oven at 500F for like 6 minutes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 13, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Prime rib is the dish you can make with a rib roast.

Sous vide is fine if it's like 2 bones or smaller, but reverse sear is just fine.

Edit: here's the reverse seared one I did last week

It was Kenji's guidelines. Salt and on the rack the night before, roasted as low as my oven could get until it hit 130, rested for a half hour and then in the oven at 500F for like 6 minutes.

That looks amazing.

OP there's another prime rib technique that's a little odd but I've had very good luck with - I think it's much more dependent on the protein being room temp beforehand but here's the recipe.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scientastic posted:

And port, of course

Like this?

http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=233&resolution=high

So decadent.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

I love port. I have some very nice port which I have been wanting to drink for years but haven't had an opportunity - I don't believe it'll keep once opened. I recently bought one of those new-fangled air-excluding decanters which preserves wine, and opened a bottle of Madeira recently that I had also been keeping for ages (same reason). I'd never had Madeira before; it's delicious. And it seems to have kept very well in the decanter. I reckon if it worked for the Madeira it'll work for port, so port ho!

Port really is incredible. One night in a wine class I was taking years back we had a banker taking the class alongside the usual restaurant managers and other rising professionals. He liked to read the syllabus ahead of time and supplement the week’s tastings with vintages from his own cellar.

The week we did port, he really outdid himself and offered up a bottle from 1863. This wine predated the American Civil War, the cork was a mess, and once we let it strain out and open up, the wine was delicious. The effects of fortification over a hundred and fifty years kept it bright and lively, and it was surreal to taste a bit of history. Madeira is equally cool, since it gets cooked and spoiled before the bottle even opens, so it’ll also hold for generations. I inherited a well stocked Madeira cabinet once as an incoming bar manager, and slowly drawing it down on comps and outright buying some bottles for my personal use at cost was a treat, since a former bar manager had a thing for late 70s vintages.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My family makes this one every year for christmas and it has yet to fail. I highly recommend putting a sign on the oven saying DO NOT OPEN if you use this one.

https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/foolproof-standing-rib-roast/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Think the store will have one that’s like 6 pounds? It’s only going to be three of us.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

nwin posted:

Think the store will have one that’s like 6 pounds? It’s only going to be three of us.

Stores that have an actual meat counter can usually cut you whatever size you want, just gotta ask.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

Port really is incredible. One night in a wine class I was taking years back we had a banker taking the class alongside the usual restaurant managers and other rising professionals. He liked to read the syllabus ahead of time and supplement the week’s tastings with vintages from his own cellar.

The week we did port, he really outdid himself and offered up a bottle from 1863. This wine predated the American Civil War, the cork was a mess, and once we let it strain out and open up, the wine was delicious. The effects of fortification over a hundred and fifty years kept it bright and lively, and it was surreal to taste a bit of history. Madeira is equally cool, since it gets cooked and spoiled before the bottle even opens, so it’ll also hold for generations. I inherited a well stocked Madeira cabinet once as an incoming bar manager, and slowly drawing it down on comps and outright buying some bottles for my personal use at cost was a treat, since a former bar manager had a thing for late 70s vintages.

My god, that course (and port) sound incredible. I do love dessert and fortified wines. Tokai...

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Think of the savings!

worst username/post combo

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

I'd make sure to order it ahead of at all possible. Most places are happy to do this and some require it near the holidays.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'd make sure to order it ahead of at all possible. Most places are happy to do this and some require it near the holidays.

Yeah, they had plenty ranging from 5-9 pounds and it was on sale for $4.77 a pound this week, so I picked one up.

This was after I sent my wife to get one and she came back with a 3 pound eye of round because she couldn’t see anything that looked like a rib roast.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A+ video, B- for excluding Mise time from consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqHqX8xfYCs

Anyone want to try this?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't know I needed eggs bene speedruns in my life, thank you for sharing.

In other news I'm workshopping a pork stew with cranberries and parsnips(?). Some white wine and sage and maybe a little bacon? I'm hearing talk that cranberries and parsnips would be a terrible match but I thought I'd ask you fine folks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

A+ video, B- for excluding Mise time from consideration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqHqX8xfYCs

Anyone want to try this?

I've done it a few times without filming it, but on my own constraints because I'm not going to rebuild my kitchen for this, and I think he understated the amount of mess he was making. Using 1 skillet, 1 pot, 1 stainless bowl, a whisk, a mesh scoop, and a butterknife I've gotten it down to about 8.5 minutes, with no preheating and no prep. That's from cold stove with all ingredients in the fridge (or bread box) to plating.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I didn't know I needed eggs bene speedruns in my life, thank you for sharing.

In other news I'm workshopping a pork stew with cranberries and parsnips(?). Some white wine and sage and maybe a little bacon? I'm hearing talk that cranberries and parsnips would be a terrible match but I thought I'd ask you fine folks.

Just be aware that parsnips can tend to dominate flavour wise. I'd be tempted to have them mashed on the side instead of in the stew.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Bought a ravioli press to do dinner on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve since we can't go anywhere. What fillings should we do? Saw one online that sounded good with I ground beef, a little bacon, Swiss chard, garlic, and parm. Excited!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartlebee posted:

Bought a ravioli press to do dinner on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve since we can't go anywhere. What fillings should we do? Saw one online that sounded good with I ground beef, a little bacon, Swiss chard, garlic, and parm. Excited!
My go-to easy ravioli is equal parts ricotta and mozz, with some fresh thyme or oregano and enough microplaned parm/pecorino so it tastes right (I get ricotta and mozzarella from local dairies via CSA and how sharp/salty/whatever varies a lot, so the parm/pecorino is how I adjust for it).

Pair it with simple red sauce: can of tomatoes + 5 Tbsp butter + half an onion + simmer for 45 minutes, done. I usually add some oregano (I use Mexican oregano because I pretty much always have it on hand), a squeeze of tomato paste, and adjust the salt using fish sauce.

If you want something more fancy pants for a holiday dinner, you could go with something super finicky like Ramsay's lobster ravioli, or some less fussy version.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ravioli was made for butternut squash + hazelnut + ricotta. That's worth trying if you want a practice run of shaping before Christmas!

Dressing is just brown butter and sage

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If it's big enough do egg yolk ravioli

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

Ravioli was made for butternut squash + hazelnut + ricotta. That's worth trying if you want a practice run of shaping before Christmas!

Dressing is just brown butter and sage

Butternut squash, sage and ricotta filling topped with a grating of parm and a glug of EVOO is really good. I think if you’re going to that effort you want them to really shine through without being overshadowed.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Those all sound good. I think we’ll try a trial run this weekend with ricotta based filling, seems pretty straightforward. Looking at maybe ricotta, mozzarella, and mushroom. Will probably have to add the butternut squash ideas to the mix if we can get it working. Dang, now I’m hungry.

SubG posted:

Pair it with simple red sauce: can of tomatoes + 5 Tbsp butter + half an onion + simmer for 45 minutes, done. I usually add some oregano (I use Mexican oregano because I pretty much always have it on hand), a squeeze of tomato paste, and adjust the salt using fish sauce.

Definitely saving this sauce. Sounds straightforward and good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartlebee posted:

Those all sound good. I think we’ll try a trial run this weekend with ricotta based filling, seems pretty straightforward. Looking at maybe ricotta, mozzarella, and mushroom. Will probably have to add the butternut squash ideas to the mix if we can get it working. Dang, now I’m hungry.

Mmm, mushroom fillings are good too. I love rosemary with mushrooms.

Let us know how they turn out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

bartlebee posted:

Yeah, the basic form of the recipe is Marcella Hazan's. She kinda did for Italian cooking what Julia Child did for French cooking--she didn't invent it and wasn't the first to talk about it in English, but she's the one that really made it part of the everyday conversation.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm here for it, to be honest

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm here for it, to be honest

l call shenanigans. I can't see how it would be possible to take an oreo up to bacon crisping temperatures without liquifying the filling.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

l call shenanigans. I can't see how it would be possible to take an oreo up to bacon crisping temperatures without liquifying the filling.

I can imagine using frozen oreos, wrapping them in bacon and using an air fryer to get the bacon there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alternately or in addition, steam or otherwise par-cook the bacon to render the fat before frying

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Ravioli update: sauteed shallots, then browned a delitainer full of already steamed mushroms with them. Deglazed with butter and balsamic vinegar. Pulsed with a couple cups of ricotta and shaved maybe a quarter cup of parmesean into the mix with coarse salt and some more balsamic vinegar. Cooled that and then filled fresh pasta in the press and shaped all of them. Ended up taking about five minutes per batch of eight or so and then finished with butter and fresh parmesean.

Content warning: my girlfriend loves Trader Joe's truffle alfredo sauce so she cooked up like six of them in jarred sauce. 😢

They were still loving great too.

Took pictures even though I'm an awful photographer; never remember how to upload pics to the awful app.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It can’t be easier to post pics on the awful app. Just tap your post in progress so the option bar pops up, hit img, then from library, and select your image. It automatically uploads it when you post.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartlebee posted:

Ravioli update: sauteed shallots, then browned a delitainer full of already steamed mushroms with them. Deglazed with butter and balsamic vinegar. Pulsed with a couple cups of ricotta and shaved maybe a quarter cup of parmesean into the mix with coarse salt and some more balsamic vinegar. Cooled that and then filled fresh pasta in the press and shaped all of them. Ended up taking about five minutes per batch of eight or so and then finished with butter and fresh parmesean.

Content warning: my girlfriend loves Trader Joe's truffle alfredo sauce so she cooked up like six of them in jarred sauce. 😢

They were still loving great too.

Took pictures even though I'm an awful photographer; never remember how to upload pics to the awful app.

Sounds great! It’s a shame about no rosemary though...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Lmao if you can make pasta from scratch but not operate the forums to upload a pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The Maestro posted:

It can’t be easier to post pics on the awful app. Just tap your post in progress so the option bar pops up, hit img, then from library, and select your image. It automatically uploads it when you post.

This bugs out A LOT.