Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Im making a Thanksgiving for two tomorrow. Im glad my wife will be there to join me as she normally is working. Happy turkey day to those who celebrate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pollyanna posted:

loving gobsmacked at this lovely oven. It’s been set at 500 for like 30 minutes and the thermometer still reads 400.

i moved into a brand new apartment with a brand new oven 18 or so months ago. it is super off (way cooler than my set temp). I suppose i should just invest in a proper oven thermometer, but I've basically figured out i need to set the temp 15 degrees (f) over the recipe and cook it 10% longer. i should be grateful it at least the oven says comes to temperature lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

Think of the savings!

lmao! we prefer to think of it in green terms as "a second harvest" though

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Hot drat, that sounds delicious

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I've never had a scotch egg. i may need to take a run at making them because I've wanted to try one for probably 2 decades now

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So it’s been a poo poo year and the charcuterie thread has been inactive for almost 2 but i have been buying whole pigs recently (and a whole cow) and have started doing lots of salamis and other cured goodies.

These were finished up this year and consumed.

Anyone else been working on any cured meats this crazy year?

if you need a 12th man to eat any of that, let me know. beautiful work!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

pile of brown posted:

You can also microwave a reese's

cant ignore this post/name combo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

when one steps into the sp00n zone, the sp00n zone can follow you. simple stuff imo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

It reminds me of the Americana theme restaurant in The Good Place tv show which featured a "4th of July" drink special that is half an apple pie, blended with southern comfort and Coca-Cola and served in a Chevy hub cap.

https://news.avclub.com/check-out-all-these-jokes-packed-into-the-good-place-s-1829553346

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Today my small mandolin took its due, while on the side of a drawer where I was reaching for a binder clip :negative:

At least it was a very clean cut and my son isn't old enough to immediately parrot curse words!

always happy to welcome another blood sibling to our infernal ranks :devil:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Amazing!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

It took me maybe 6 weeks to fully heal for my fingat. My spouse would clean and dress the wound for me, so that was nice. Godspeed on your fingat

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

gently caress, that's a question. yeasted, chemically leavened, and flatbread?

i know someone mentioned tortillas before, but i wouldn't call ground corn tortillas bread. flour tortillas maybe, but i can live without those.

baguette, bagels, and an oatmeal loaf, i guess?

bagels are a fine substitute for a burger bun, base for a nice breakfast sando, and of course the lox/cream cheese/capers etc. baguette is versatile, and an oatmeal loaf for it's utility

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, I'd go with sourdough, tortillas, and pizza.

when pizza's on a bagel, you can pizza any time :colbert:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i have a serious distaste for wal mart politically, so i almost never shop there. long story short, my wife asked me to pick some poo poo up there yesterday that she needed ahead of a snow storm as she was stuck working late. long story short, i picked up some vegetable stock there to make split pea soup to save myself a trip elsewhere during the nor'easter.

the brand was "kitchen basics." that poo poo was so dark it looked like beef jus going through a goth phase. my split pea soup turned out a horrendous color. taste was fine, but I've never seen veg stock that color. that soup is already an unappetizing shade already and it only made it worse.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Kitchen Basics isn't a Wal-Mart store brand, it's a national brand. Their chicken broth won in Serious Eats' taste test. ATK says it's dark because it includes mushroom broth.

I'm still on team Better than Bouillon myself

THAT explains it. Mushrooms aren't a vegetable though, dammit! Flavor was solid - no complaints, just surprisingly dark. I appreciate the info and I'll give the chicken stock a try next time I'm in the market for some. My spouse is trying to limit her animal protein intake so I made a vegetarian split pea soup.

e: last sentence noted because i generally use chicken stock and bacon or bacon fat in my split pea soup, not that any of you would intrinsically know that lol

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 3, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

prayer group posted:

This is insane, dude. Would you get upset if you ordered veggie fried rice and it had mushrooms in it?

It was fake indignation lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i was jonesing for bruschetta for dinner tonight so i went to the grocery store as one does after jumping in their pandemic tyvek suit. i was out of balsamic and the cashier reached for the 500 ml bottle and knocked it to the ground. it wasn't terribly expensive stuff, but that smell is gonna linger for a bit, i bet. im sorry it wasn't apple sauce or something :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I made Caesar dressing tonight and needed to add an extra egg yolk and a bit more oil to tamp down my extra bit of lemon squeezed out beyond the recommended amount. sometimes more egg is needed

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

therattle posted:

In South Africa corn like that is quite common. It’s just called white corn. If you get it young when still tender it’s absolutely delicious but as it gets older the skin gets a lot tougher and the flesh starchy. It’s used for a staple maize porridge called mielie (corn) pap. I miss it... it’s often sold by street vendors.

My wife had to go to eSwatini a year or so back and has me make pap every once in a while. She adored the food there and SA. She brought home a couple cook books, though some of the ingredients are (obviously) a bit difficult to source fresh in New England.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

My wife wants to order sushi this weekend. Somebody tell me I'm being paranoid about Covid and it's not any riskier than ordering out something that's been cooked.

Fwiw I can recognize I've developed a few odd habits out of anxiety over the last year but I'm not always sure which are sensible or which are just coping mechanisms.

if you don't snort the sushi or inhale it into your lungs you should be ok. at least that's what my wife who does covid education tells me.

that said, she doesn't wash her hands regularly before eating so she may not be trustworthy.

the previous sentences are both true afaik

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

popcorn chat has me missing iowa where my pals and i got private screenings of movies at the community theater with free soda and popcorn (had to pay retail on the candy though) for a donation and a promise to clean up after ourselves. we all brought our own party favors and it owned :(

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

peter pan peanut butter is the closest I've tasted to the 80s government issue poor people food

i can't eat concord grape jelly, grape juice, fruit cocktail and skim milk (because of powdered milk) because of my childhood. it basically killed my sweet tooth.

peanut butter and cheese still own, though :shrug:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

my spouse is smart as hell. she's in school now to get her masters to become a nurse practitioner. she also left a pot of boiling water on so long all the water evaporated and the pot got ruined. she has zero interest in being in the kitchen and that's fine by me lol. im sure there are plenty of people who are otherwise fairly smart but are all thumbs in the kitchen

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Bakeoff is so goddamn wholesome. Everybody helping everybody. The hosts genuinely seem to hate kicking people off. I don't bake a lot, but have a ton of respect for people that do. One of my favorite covid "discoveries" last year was bakeoff and taskmaster. Two very different mentalities, but both so, so excellent. Keep up the good work, UK.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Am I the only person in the world with a sick, unrelenting fetish for the Dunkin Donuts sausage egg and cheese on a croissant

Super hit or miss for me, but when I want one, they are amazing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i worked 3rd shift in New england for a good number of years and drank a shitload of dunkin coffee to stay awake. dd's was the only option for caffeine. dunkin coffee is almost always burnt and bitter imo. a hot "regular" is palatable, and i was a pack-a-day smoker then too so it isnt like i had ot have a sensitive palete. seriously, a "double-double" is a pretty normal order in my neck of the woods

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

lmao

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yeah, I've never wound up with a sweet salsa verde. i blister all my tomotillos, peppers, onions, etc over charcoal and that helps add some smokiness before blitzing in a blender with cilantro and garlic and citrus. i make big batches and freeze em

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Is Milk Street the one that said the mail lard reaction was overrated, and that the best cooking liquid is plain water?

sounds about right. dude stole a bunch of america's test kitchen recipes on his way out the door too, iirc. seems like a real turd

in weird purchases news of my own, I got drunk last night and ordered $70 worth of hot sauce (hat to hit that free shipping threshold :v:)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Enfys posted:

I have hand issues so a food processor is a godsend, especially anything requiring kneading or sustained hand movements/strength

yeah my hands and fingers are janky as hell. theyre on fire after 60 seconds of massaging a foot or kneading a dough. food processors and dough hooks are handy as for repetitive tasks like shredding or kneeding

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Remind me not to get a foot massage from you.

A food massage, on the other hand...

when i was just starting to date my now-wife I let her know in no uncertain terms that I absolutely cannot give a massage worth a drat because my hands (and all my other joints) are junk. ill give it the old college try but it won't do much for you and ill be in a lot of pain lol. i can massage a food though

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

im of the thinking that if someone asks for help, you help em (unless their feet are gross and poo poo)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Just a trick if anyone is going to try to cut it themselves - freeze the meat first (or close to frozen), the stiffness makes it way easier to cut thinly.

different cuts/dishes but i did the same when slicing beef for bulgogi this past week. makes cutting thinner pieces waaaaaaaaaay easier

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

SubG posted:

Has something changed in the egg supply chain that results in eggs lower in lechtin or something? I make a small amount of mayo every couple weeks for sandwiches and so on, and starting like two months ago suddenly every loving time the mayo wants to turn into a soupy mess. I've been making mayo for roughly forever and I think I might've had the emulsion fail maybe twice. And now it's every loving time unless it's babied like crazy.

Huh. Do you have a regular brand? There really aren't all that many egg producers in the US unless you're buying from local folks. Iowa is by far the largest producer of chicken eggs in the country but there's only a handful of industrial layers. i had to write about an avian flu epidemic there as a journalist and the actual size of some laying operations staggered me. one local producer had to euthanize 5 millions birds (cant recall of they were broilers or layers) in one go.

It wouldn't shock me of an industrial producer changed its feed formulation to save 0.002 cents per dozen eggs or whatever even if it meant the egg was worse. CAFO animal husbandry (and, well, bigtime capitalism) is all about cranking out shaving fractions of pennies to maximize profit. Have you tried a different or a "certified humane" brand or anything?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

$5 aus/kg of random beef sounds like a good deal. what does, say, a chuck or similar roast for per kg generally in Australian supermarkets? beef has gotten pricy here in the US. bone-in ribeye steaks are $17/USD per pound at my local shop (regular price, cheaper this week because of independence day), so $22.59 AUS/454 grams.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I recommend getting a small aquarium with pet shrimp so you can blanch zucchini and watch them rip it up to eat.

i could watch shrimp eat veggies all day. i watch these videos when im stressed or before bed on occasion.

https://youtu.be/ptR7ngChDqs

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

It's insane the reach this guy has. When random people (work, friends of friends, etc) find out I have a planted aquarium more than half of them tell me they watch that channel. But yeah it's super relaxing.

he must have cracked The Algorithm because i found his stuff through YouTube recommendations and I don't generally watch videos like that at all (I'm mostly a hoobastank music video and Simply Sara salad prep fellow). I honestly have no idea how his stuff came to be recommended to me or why I clicked in the first place. He's a shrimp shaman or something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

cooking for you and a person or for a bunch? chowder is a great way to go for the latter, bisque is how id go for the former

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I've commandeered the dining room table for my workspace as I now work from home. Since it is likely now permanent (Yay! No more 3-4 hour round trip commute!) I should probably either put another desk in the spare bedroom that is my wife's office (she worked from home for a while doing covid work for the state public health dept. and is in grad school) now that she's back at the emergency room full time so we can use it as a dining room table again and not eat in the living room nightly.

General practice is we serve up food in the kitchen and eat in the living room. I cook and I ask her if she wants me to make her a plate or if she wants to serve herself. I usually make her a plate.